Poll : what about Kaz?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fredyellowone
  • 86 comments
  • 3,808 views

What should be the future of Kaz with Gran Turismo series?

  • Who is Kaz?

    Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Kaz should find a new job ASAP.

    Votes: 27 18.8%
  • I like the guy. He is doing so much for the franchise right now.

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • I think he should stay as a consultant for the series. Part time if possible.

    Votes: 47 32.6%
  • Kaz is my hero. And I hope he will be with GT series forever.

    Votes: 40 27.8%

  • Total voters
    144
It's just about little things, you know. Little things that could really change the experience for the better. But unfortunately, those little things, problems as I call them; been there since ages<...>

That's true; but it's also true for many other series that still amaze and excite players. Take as an example Battlefield: it's netcode's been laughing stock since Battlefield 2, but DICE decided to focus more on adding new aspects of the gameplay. As a result, I'm greatly enjoying Battlefield 4 despite the fact that sometimes I get shot through a house.

Of course I too would love Gran Turismo 6 to get or Gran Turismo 7 to come with a AI that can drive decently, a dealership that finally had a structure that makes sense and can work with a UCD that carries only a limited number of cars and a balanced economy, but I won't be angry if none of that happen; I'm used to the AI driving at the pace of a snail and the dealership being a chaotic mess by now.

And there's plenty of new things to be happy about - perhaps nobody has realized how huge of a thing Vision Gran Turismo is, new collaborations are being made and those that were already there in GT5 have been renewed, and Polyphony is slowly but surely adapting to this new era of digitally delivered content by delivering small updates to keep you hooked to the game while not being "too much" or actually costing you a dime (which is the approach I expected from a typically Japanese developer such as PD).
 
Ahh gee, I didn't know this thread was for fun, but does seem rather serious at the same time... Even so, I don't want Kaz fired. However, I do want him improving things.

I feel that this thread was made to identify who's a fanboy or not.

I really wanted for this poll to be representative. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, so I added an edit in the second post that reads as follow : "Edit : If you think Kaz should stay in charge, but you also wish that he would listen a little more to the fans, then it's the choice number #3."
 
Of course I too would love Gran Turismo 6 to get or Gran Turismo 7 to come with a AI that can drive decently, a dealership that finally had a structure that makes sense and can work with a UCD that carries only a limited number of cars and a balanced economy, but I won't be angry if none of that happen; I'm used to the AI driving at the pace of a snail and the dealership being a chaotic mess by now.

I understand your point. And I sure understand that not everyone wants/enjoy the same features that I would love to see in the game. But please, bare in mind that those changes or problems if I may; are major for a lot of people. Let's take a look at the hood view for example. It would take less than a week of work to get this done. But still, that problem is still there. With no sign at all that Kaz want to fix it.

I wish that GT series was innovative like the old PS1/PS2 days. I wish that we would get the first full scaled track creator in the history of racing sim. (Imagine what we would be able to do with the use of Google maps and proper models...)

It's not that this could not be done. We are there. technology is there. Everything is there.

But instead, Kaz decided to work on mapping the stars.

It's his company. He may do what he wants. But is that wise to work on such useless features when there is so much work to do? So much little things to fix that could make me - make a lot of people like me - more happy?

That's why I feel left down.
 
Last edited:
I really wanted for this poll to be representative. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, so I added an edit in the second post that reads as follow : "Edit : If you think Kaz should stay in charge, but you also wish that he would listen a little more to the fans, then it's the choice number #3."
It's okay, don't worry. 👍 I also selected #3 as well. :)
 
VBR
Kaz_You_re_Fired.jpg


Only joking! ;)
image.jpg

Kaz replied
 
What are you referring to? 55 licences. I don't understand your angle. :dunce:

No angle. Just an observation. Count the number of participants in this 'poll'. It is a statistically meaningless number. Granted it's now 78, but 78 of ? a millions of GT6 licenses is in a single forum thread is still statistically meaningless as it does not represent an accurate cross-section of Gran Turismo 6 customers. Making conclusions for the greater set of players based on this "poll" has no validity. And that doesn't even speak to the obvious bias in the poll, although my guess is that you'll be coy and pretend it was written as something more than a snark.
 
I don't think Kaz lacks passion for GT, at all. But passion does not matter for me, results do. And passion is not an excuse for bizarre game design choices, or a failure to get fundamentals right, or severe mismanagement in general. I don't see PD significantly improving broken features with Kaz in charge, because they will continue focusing on producing eye candy for photo modes instead. PD have the resources to fix almost, if not all of their issues that they currently have, but I don't think that will happen with Kaz at the helm.
 
Seems like Kaz is one of the final holdouts from the Ken Kutaragi era of the Playstation. They were outstanding leaders, giants of their era but their time has come and gone.
Look at how Hirai turned things around for Playstation and imagine if somebody could do the same for Gran Turismo. Tremendous potential awaits.
 
You guys ever noticed that pretty much everyone is knowing "Kaz" name? The guy is like that. He loves to be up front, red carpet events, hanging around like Brad Pitt at Cannes. It should NOT be that way.

The guy is almost making me feel like he was alone working on that franchise, and that all his workers were puppets and robots.

When a team is working hard and fail; you will blame each one of them. The whole gang.

In this case, there is only one to blame, and that guy is Kaz. And he sure act like he wanted it to be that way...

Now, if I may : try to imagine what will happen if the trend is going forward and that GT7 is released on a brand new PS4 in less than 2 years. Imagine what will happen if despite the new hardware, GT7 is released without a proper course generator, without all the standard models, with a still bland and boring "career" mode, with an abysmal A.I, with no Hood view, and etc.

I doubt people will forgive all of that forever.
 
Last edited:
No angle. Just an observation. Count the number of participants in this 'poll'. It is a statistically meaningless number. Granted it's now 78, but 78 of ? a millions of GT6 licenses is in a single forum thread is still statistically meaningless as it does not represent an accurate cross-section of Gran Turismo 6 customers. Making conclusions for the greater set of players based on this "poll" has no validity. And that doesn't even speak to the obvious bias in the poll, although my guess is that you'll be coy and pretend it was written as something more than a snark.

I have no emotional stake in this so why would I react coy? The results here are a glimpse into how this group of people are feeling. I would challenge you to ask a greater group of people the same question, hell, put this poll out to a greater number. I would be curious about their answers. I get it, you're a troll or a fanboy so you need to invest a lot more time in this than me. Fine, me too, I embrace a larger discussion on this topic, go get everyone you can get. The fact is you are wrong, the franchise is not evolving fast enough, and unless someone at PD gets it, GT7 could be the final game in this franchise. They have lost money on every-title since GT3, that is bad for business. The writing is on the wall, you can dispute it all you want, Kaz should hire you to be his PR man.
 
This poll is a joke on multiple fronts. And for the record, there's no mandate that says I have to create polls in order to counter absurdly written poll. All I have to do iis to point out the poll's bias and statistical insignificance.

As for the rest of your gAmEr analysis... yawn. Troll my arse. I'm simply countering trolls like you.
 
This poll is a joke on multiple fronts. And for the record, there's no mandate that says I have to create polls in order to counter absurdly written poll. All I have to do iis to point out the poll's bias and statistical insignificance.

As for the rest of your gAmEr analysis... yawn. Troll my arse. I'm simply countering trolls like you.

Ouch, that hurts. As I am participating in the poll and I am putting forward a fact based and non-argumentative line of posts, I am not a troll. But when idiots like you get cornered on this site and your mental acuity is challenged you drop off the grid with a fleeting insult as you leave. :nervous:
 
Humorous at best. My mental acuity is just fine chum.
 
I have but one question: Why does everyone seem to think that Kaz single handedly produced GT6?
 
I have but one question: Why does everyone seem to think that Kaz single handedly produced GT6?
Because according to GTP, he's a supervillain.
 
In my opinion, Kaz shouldn't leave GT. He has played a major role but one of the most important things (communication with the fans) seems to be unimportant for him. Kaz should leave space for another man to fix all the problems that the GT saga has been having since its creation (sounds, AI, etc.), but I don't want GT to turn radically in another game, like Colin McRae Rally and Dirt (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Since I played GT4, I thought that GT is the best racing game for the PS2/3. I really hope I'll feel the same at the end of GT6 and the possible GT7.
 
Just as a football coach get's fired when his team does not get the required results, or prime ministers resign when there is a public scandal (apart from the spanish one :lol: ), I would prefer Kaz would step down also, and someone with bright new ideas would take his place (racing game ideas instead of implementing moons and stars).

The formula has gotten old and dated IMO, and is at a stalemate right now. It still sells well so for now nobody has to take any blame and Kaz can stay on the throne from Sony, but if they don't innovate in the right direction soon enough, it will be the beginning of the end for the franchise.

We all loved the GT series unanimously until GT5 came out, then many got their first taste of disappointment with PD, now GT6 is out baring the same issues as it's predecessor + new ones, and you already notice much more negativism than ever before in this community, so we really are at a turning point right now.
 
I have but one question: Why does everyone seem to think that Kaz single handedly produced GT6?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't. However, Yamauchi is the creative director of the series, he's the guy making big choices at the end of the day. Of course, the marketing guys have the last word on everything, but if he decided to provide a more challenging career or to focus on better sound sampling and an improved sound engine, I doubt marketing would've stopped him from doing so. Then again, I may be wrong. I'm just making suppositions and speculating here, it's not like I work for Polyphony Digital or anything.

In my opinion, Kaz shouldn't leave GT. He has played a major role but one of the most important things (communication with the fans) seems to be unimportant for him.

That may be related to his apparently quite terrible English. Polyphony clearly hasn't the greatest PR dept., but that's true for most Japanese companies. In the universe of Japanese game developers, Hideo Kojima represents an exception on the rule of creative directors that don't have any communication with Western fans, and even then, it's not like he's the Pope speaking to his church every Sunday.
 
Kaz is the Gran Turismo. And I like Skylines and GT-Rs.
 
It's his company. People who say "he ought to go" ought to stop fooling themselves with their gAmeR delusions. It's not a democracy.
It is not his company. Companies of this scale are not owned by one single person. He is merely the CEO. And as with all CEO's, if the majority of the board members decide he has to go, he has to go. He may still have some say in the company, depending on his shares, but the notion, that he can do wtf he wants is just wrong. Sony will drop him as soon as they believe PD will generate more money for them with some one else at the top. That's just how it works.

I'm in no position to call for heads or critisize one single person at PD, though I can't help but think that a new leadership with fresh ideas may rejuvenate the franchise.
 
If it wasn't Kaz maybe most of racing simulators wouldnt be what they are today, love it or hate it Kaz simply changed what we know today as a racing game. just my opinion.
 
Sales and sales alone will determine Kaz's future along with the future of the GT series in general. It's a very expensive product to develop and selling 4 or 5 million copies won't cut it. If he continues to sell 10+ million copies of each version of the game he has a job for life, regardless of the quality of the product and whether it appeals to hardcore and more critical fans.

Personally, I'd like to see some fresh blood at the helm of PD, with Kaz kept on as a figurehead/consultant. I think they need someone younger in there, someone more in touch with what fans really want, someone that can bring the game into the 21st century and isn't stuck with a 15 year old vision. Sales so far are lacklustre at best relative to GT5 although we don't have any info on digital sales. Ultimately the numbers will determine the direction of the series.
 
Picked the 4th option. I love Kaz's vision and I'd like him to continue for as long as possible with GT, but he clearly needs another person at the helm for project management. Someone who has better organization of priorities, time, money, resource and employees to turn Kaz's dream into reality. As it is, GT is falling behind due to inefficient project planning and poor design decisions. They might've been able to scrape through during the PS1/2 days, but it shows with the complexity of this generation. And I'm afraid it's gonna get worse with the PS4, despite it being easier to program and all...

Ideally you'd have Kaz in charge of vision, and Dan Greenwalt in charge of mission. Get Sony to pour in more money to get more car/track modelers and you'd have a perfect game.
 
Alright folks. Bear in mind that this poll is absolutely not representative at all. We can't use it to promote a global knowledge on the aforementioned subject.

However, we can say that out of the 140 people who participated in it :

- 51.8% think that Kaz should at least not be in charge anymore.
while
- 45.3% think that Kaz is and should remain the main guy; despite the series needing some improvements.

I think those numbers are pretty bad and signifiant that GT series is not what it once was.
 
Back