POLL: Would you buy GT Sport already? (AFTER v.1.05, change vote available)

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 222 comments

Would you buy Gran Turismo Sport as it is in the beta - just unlocked?

• Yes

Votes: 166 53.9%
  • No

Votes: 142 46.1%

• Total voters
I had 0 unrealistic expectations but I expect from a studio like PD to get the basics right and seriously improve upon their previous itterations! When a "June" release is expected and don't think there will be that many changes. Simply judging from what I've come across.

The problem that I found with GTS BETA is that the handling with the DS4 feels numb. I don't get any proper feedback from the car that I am driving. Understeer, oversteer don't have a clue when it kicks in! Unnatural maybe? Play GTS with a controller and than Driveclub or Dirt and you immediately feel the difference.

Then we have the sounds. It is an improvement but more from vacuum to the landmower type. Once again a let down.

The graphics are extremely dull when playing the game. Yes it is colorful and sharp but all feels basic, empty, sterile and utterly boring to look at. Flickering everywhere (maybe better in final version?). Also look at the backgrounds, that has some very bad quality and low textures. Than I wonder what the hell did PD do during all those years of development? Replays where more convincing but that has always been one of the stronger points of PD.

Menu's look slick and the overall presentation and speed of the interface is very positive. It is to bad that it is the only positive point I can find.

It seems PD hasn't got a clue of what the are doing or want to achieve. All very mediocore.

Then again i think dramatic is not realistic. Looking real life race tracks, they are quite boring. Not much to feast your eyes there. :indiff: the same goes with the real life races sounds - not that much rumble there either aside few exceptions like amg gtr, ford gt and c7 gt3. Also one must decide if we want all kinds of trivial details on trees and track side objects, or we want smooth mechanics and framerate..

What comes to the feel of ds4, i find it quite balanced. The feel is very different depending on car and driving style. It might be a bit too forgiving though. But then again - i wouldnt put any gamepad to the same sentence with realism. :rolleyes:

Edit: i do use wheel mostly.

If you PLAY a GAME.

If you are a competitive type then you will want the challenge offered. There is a difference between people because not everyone has the compulsion to be competitive to that degree.

I think the best case would be that the game would have better scaled rewards to keep even the casual player interested in finishing behind the 1st place. Im pretty sure that is more rewarding and interesting in the long run.

That said i do understand the point of success or "level cleared" type of classic videogame playing. I do hope they have also that proper arcade experience, just for the sake of the Gran Turismo series financial success.

I must also add im one of the less competitive persons i know, but i do like to challenge myself. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping for dramatic improvements in several areas including physics, sound and FFB and, from what I've read (not in the beta myself) and watched in videos, it hasn't happened. I could still live with all that if the rating system was working like clockwork and penalizing in what I though was a fair and just way. To me it isn't, and combined with all the ghosting, it makes the online portion of the game a bit of a mess to me, or at least no better than other games I have played online. I voted no.

I was hoping for dramatic improvements in several areas including physics, sound and FFB and, from what I've read (not in the beta myself) and watched in videos, it hasn't happened. I could still live with all that if the rating system was working like clockwork and penalizing in what I though was a fair and just way. To me it isn't, and combined with all the ghosting, it makes the online portion of the game a bit of a mess to me, or at least no better than other games I have played online. I voted no.
Must say im not a huge fan of the ffb either (G29), but its just down to not having the same level of setups for ffb as AC of Pcars. Hoping that will improve in the final build. Might also be a big reason for some of the criticism over the physics. Then again, ffb is always a matter of taste.

This is a critical issue.
Also an easy fix by fine tuning the vibration. Usually pd gets that right. Not all hope lost there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note the phrasing of a question - "unlocked" means technically the way it is, but online/offline game modes included and the planned car roster included.

Not trying to sway the poll, but so far three "no" comments, and none of those has read the question proberly. Humans.. :guilty: :lol:

So you're asking if people would buy a hypothetical version of a game they don't even know exists in the form they're imagining?

You might as well ask if people will buy the next GT game too.

Also, stop double posting, that's what the Edit and multi-quote features are for. 👍

I think the best case would be that the game would have better scaled rewards to keep even the casual player interested in finishing behind the 1st place. Im pretty sure that is more rewarding and interesting in the long run.

That said i do understand the point of success or "level cleared" type of classic videogame playing. I do hope they have also that proper arcade experience, just for the sake of the Gran Turismo series financial success.

I must also add im one of the less competitive persons i know, but i do like to challenge myself. :)

There was a different type of challenge coming into play in earlier GT instalments. It was not simply the satisfaction you got from winning a race, but rather the way you got to winning. There were races that you only had a chance of winning if you carefully forged out a plan.

Investing in cars and mods wisely to get you investment/return-ratio right.
Setting up your car to meet entry requirements.
Speculating on prize cars so you could participate in other racing series.
Constantly scanning the used car dealership for special cars.

All these things gave Gran Turismo the character of a very well balanced management simulation rather than just a racing sim. That's something that I really deeply got into and it used to be a GT trademark.

I think GTS is pretty much exactly the same as every other GT game, they have made no real advances nor have they implemented any fan suggestions. PD are probably the most ignorant game dev I've come accross & keep on making the same old mistakes over & over again. The game is showing it's age, & I think that the competition will have them beaten this tiime around. But GT has armies of loyal fans that will line up to buy it, so I don't think they're going to go out of business. However, as the game stands I won't be one of them.

The reason people play offline against AI is because they expect to WIN. An online version would have ONE winner and 15-17 losers. That is why online is a no no for so many players.

I don't have to win each and every race, I get weary of finishing 13th or worse every race online or off trying to race cleanly. Some track/car combos in the beta allow for realistic racing, but most have been dreadful. I'd rather just race against the AI if this is what Sport mode is all about.

With that said, I'll still get the game.

So you're asking if people would buy a hypothetical version of a game they don't even know exists in the form they're imagining?

Also, stop double posting, that's what the Edit and multi-quote features are for. 👍

I think the beta gives a lot more than hypothetical view. We all know theres more tracks and cars to come. We already know most of the tracks and cars from other games and from real life. I think all the basic mechanics are there. Then again, if one hasnt played the beta, its like commenting on a restaurant one hasnt visited..

Cant understand people waiting for the perfect package - thats what the updates are for. Its the usual case of whining if the studio lets you test the product to be able to answer the hopes and whining if the studio lets you play a game thats not finished. Whining if they delay a game for polishing and whining if they release a game for the players earlier to provide the asked for updates later. PD and game studios in general must have one of the most ungrateful customers. :rolleyes:

I had the impression driving simulator would be about driving, but looks like thats not the case. :odd:

For the double posts and editing - atleast i cant add quotes when editing the post. Maybe copying manually.

i cant add quotes when editing the post.
Highlight the text you want to quote, click the 'Reply' button that appears. It's automatically inserted to the Edit window, properly formatted, in the location of your cursor.

That is the massive problem in people in general. If one cant appreciate anything but winning all real life competitive sports would be dead. There are world champions who have won few or no races. There should be enough reward in say 4th place to feel appreciated. If i would win every race I think i would quit racing quite soon as that is not realistic.

Well then I guess there should be just a Nissan Micra to drive because people should also appreciate it to drive a simple car.

No serious, an online mode is great and should be there but sometimes you just want to drive against a dumb AI and win (easier). You play games because you want to feel great after a win and if you have not enough time to spent your life behind a wheel to be good enough to win online than the offline option is nice. And I have to say that there were offline races which were freakin hard to win.
Also I have to say that online races can be quite disappointing in GT Sport. Of course it is in beta status but the ghost function (troll protect) isn't working very well. Also the performance (other cars shaking over the track and disappearing) doesn't help....but I guess at least this will improve in the final game...but in the end this improvment won't change my mind.

Enjoyed playing GT Sport Beta more than Project Cars.
Played GT Sport beta more than Forza Motorsport 6.
I found GT Sport to be improved over GT6.

So definitely yes.

I don't have to win each and every race, I get weary of finishing 13th or worse every race online or off trying to race cleanly. Some track/car combos in the beta allow for realistic racing, but most have been dreadful. I'd rather just race against the AI if this is what Sport mode is all about.

Thing is, if the safety rating and matchmaking system works as it should, your average finish online is going to be mid-pack. It's an inescapable fallout of the system. If you are winning, your rating goes up and you are placed with better drivers so you can't win on any regular basis if the system works. What's left is close and competitive racing. If the rating system can't provide that and their are hacks that let drivers game the rating system and punt you off the track, the whole thing falls apart like a house of cards.
Cant understand people waiting for the perfect package - thats what the updates are for. Its the usual case of whining if the studio lets you test the product to be able to answer the hopes and whining if the studio lets you play a game thats not finished. Whining if they delay a game for polishing and whining if they release a game for the players earlier to provide the asked for updates later. PD and game studios in general must have one of the most ungrateful customers. :rolleyes:

I had the impression driving simulator would be about driving, but looks like thats not the case. :odd:

For the double posts and editing - atleast i cant add quotes when editing the post. Maybe copying manually.
It's not waiting for the perfect package, it's waiting for them to deliver on their own promises and measuring GTS against it's fellow competitors. Beyond graphics, GTS does not excel on any front IMO. Sounds are still the worst of the genre, physics are basic, FFB limp, car and track selection is arguably the worst of the genre etc. On top of this, the rating system doesn't appear to generate any better racing than random public lobbies so far. It's closing in on 3.5 years since GT6 was released and some of us don't feel like a lot of progress has been made beyond the graphics. That sounds like a pretty fair assessment to me. Throwing out a strawman like "waiting for the perfect package" does a disservice to those that are looking at the game with an objective eye.

You know though that many on here would reply yes to that question.

I think the beta gives a lot more than hypothetical view. We all know theres more tracks and cars to come. We already know most of the tracks and cars from other games and from real life. I think all the basic mechanics are there. Then again, if one hasnt played the beta, its like commenting on a restaurant one hasnt visited..

No one is waiting for the perfect package ( to my knowledge) and no, that isn't what updates are for, especially when we are talking about a AAA title. What many are waiting for is a game at the top or on par with other racing games especially after 2 very disappointing titles. It was hard to believe PDI could make a poor game like GT6 after how poor GT5 was, and now it seams they have outdone themselves and releasing what looks to be even more limited and behind the pack. We're talking about a dev that has tens of millions more budget than any other dev in the racing genre. Far from the perfect package, decent would be a start.

There's a problem with the Daily reward where you can win a new car easily by reaching 26 miles. It's great fun in the beta but if this is in the retail version the specialty from events, etc would feel damaged. Also with a car list just under 150.
Are you saying some days you wish you could just put the car on jack stands and put it in drive and tick off 26 miles and then turn it off? I feel the same some days also.

Thing is, if the safety rating and matchmaking system works as it should, your average finish online is going to be mid-pack. It's an inescapable fallout of the system. If you are winning, your rating goes up and you are placed with better drivers so you can't win on any regular basis if the system works. What's left is close and competitive racing. If the rating system can't provide that and their are hacks that let drivers game the rating system and punt you off the track, the whole thing falls apart like a house of cards.

Hoping the house of cards stays in tact. From what I've seen in a limited time during the beta is a distinct division between the 'Alien Force' and the 'Crash Kids'. Again it's only a beta with limited amount of drivers, but the matchmaking system isn't sure where to place me. Having a high SR and low DR, racing with the Alien Force I get clean race, but get left in the dust. With the Crash Kids I'm lucky to make it through the first lap trying to avoid or being involved in a half dozen incidents. Either way, my average result is back of the pack. There's been a couple sweet spot moments, but not sure if it's luck or skill that gets me there.

Investing in cars and mods wisely to get you investment/return-ratio right.
Setting up your car to meet entry requirements.
Speculating on prize cars so you could participate in other racing series.
Constantly scanning the used car dealership for special cars.

All these things gave Gran Turismo the character of a very well balanced management simulation rather than just a racing sim. That's something that I really deeply got into and it used to be a GT trademark.

That is exactly why i have always liked gran turismo. There is a certain diversity to the game. You can collect and tune cars. You can race Isuzu Bellet against lotus and bmw m3. I think its the way the PD markets it as a simulator for car ENTHUSIASTS. I feel great games like Pcars and AC are "just" simulators - you cant do much more and the car roster is a bit boring. Thats also why i commented, that i miss the used car dealership from GT5 - one couldnt just go and buy any car. I do believe GT Sport will have some of this, if it is a full Gran Turismo game. I think GT6 was a bit too easy of a game to collect money, or then it was the anniverssary edition that gave too much right at the start. Its just that the game can be demanding or it can offer everything easily - cant be both.

VBR
I think GTS is pretty much exactly the same as every other GT game, they have made no real advances nor have they implemented any fan suggestions. PD are probably the most ignorant game dev I've come accross & keep on making the same old mistakes over & over again. The game is showing it's age, & I think that the competition will have them beaten this tiime around. But GT has armies of loyal fans that will line up to buy it, so I don't think they're going to go out of business. However, as the game stands I won't be one of them.

I think GT games have just done the same thing better over the years. From what i have seen titles like GT6 have evolved greatly from the day it was released. Theres also the thing that many of the fan wishes have been unrealistic or irrelevan - they just cant fullfil every wish. I think PD has been so long head and shoulders above other studios, that people a having unrealistic expectations. A lot of the features we see in current games have been in GT years ago. They have set the bar too high them selves. Really the only games really rivaling the Gran Turismo as a whole is Forza and Forza Horizon combined, and from what i have seen, if the content is similar to GT5&GT6, they are once a step ahead of Forza. The field of competition is extreamly even though, and theres always things some of the rival games does better - which bring the final choice down to everyones personal preferences.

Theres always the "human factor" not even PD can control. Theres alway rammers and part of the magic in online racing is that you have to play in different kind of situations. Sometimes its a win and sometimes one loses - the race and ones mind, but that makes it interesting. There has been some rewarding moments when one is able to lure the ramming troll out of the competition and out of the game. :lol::mischievous:

I must say online gaming does take some effort and good nerves, but the reward is even greater when everything goes well.

I must also say, that as much as i like the beta, i very much appreciate every positive and negative comment here. Im answering and challenging the comments to create conversation. I might even be wrong every now and then.:lol: It is the most beneficial way to evolve things to right direction. :cheers:

Also have to note, that it seems my time with the beta has been a smooth sailing compared to some others. No cars jumping, good ping (ithink ive had one race with ping issues), mostly ok or great racing, only few crash pack experiences. everything smooth and not even too many ghosting issues or exploits. Maybe im just lucky.

No one is waiting for the perfect package ( to my knowledge) and no, that isn't what updates are for, especially when we are talking about a AAA title. What many are waiting for is a game at the top or on par with other racing games especially after 2 very disappointing titles. It was hard to believe PDI could make a poor game like GT6 after how poor GT5 was, and now it seams they have outdone themselves and releasing what looks to be even more limited and behind the pack. We're talking about a dev that has tens of millions more budget than any other dev in the racing genre. Far from the perfect package, decent would be a start.

I must say i have enjoyed both GT5 and GT6 very much. GT6 mostly online though. Not perfect games by far, but I still havent seen a perfect game. Maybe Gran Turismo is just my kind of game. There seems to be this weird collective opinion how GT5 and GT6 have failed - for me both games are right there in the top 2 of games i have put most hours. Wouldnt call that a fail.

I would also challenge people to try new ways and not quiting after first fail. I remember how i used to get my butt kicked in all online games - no matter if it was GT, Battlefield, world of tanks or any other. There is another learning curve when moving from offline to online just as if learning a new game. it takes few nights to get there in the middle of the pack, but its well worth it.

Last edited:

Why ask a question if you can't handle the answers/peoples opinions. Every no vote you have questioned.

Why ask a question if you can't handle the answers/peoples opinions. Every no vote you have questioned.

and like i just posted - i question them to create conversation. I might end up being wrong. Just trying to make people argument the opinions. Usually theres more to the answer than just what the first post tells. :cheers:

for a great example, many of the posts are actual issues in the game, but the post is similar to:

The problem that I found with GTS BETA is that the handling with the DS4 feels numb.

When the really important part is this:

I don't get any proper feedback from the car that I am driving. Understeer, oversteer don't have a clue when it kicks in!

👍 for DobloCruiser on that comment. :cheers: And I DO recognize that issue.:lol:

Last edited:
and like i just posted - i question them to create conversation. I might end up being wrong. Just trying to make people argument the opinions. Usually theres more to the answer than just what the first post tells. :cheers:
Which is a fine answer if it was also done to the yes votes

Which is a fine answer if it was also done to the yes votes

would actually like to do that, but there havent been too many positive comments.. yet the votes are nearly even. Thats how comments in the internet work. :D

And if anyone is wondering my "activism" - I started the poll so im interested to follow it.

would actually like to do that, but there havent been too many positive comments.. yet the votes are nearly even. Thats how comments in the internet work. :D

And if anyone is wondering my "activism" - I started the poll so im interested to follow it.

By the way, I voted NO.., I refuse to pay $60 for a photo mode/scrapes game with a tacked on/ after thought race game. The racing setup and FFB. physics and sound are the weakest part of the game and it should be the opposite.

I must say i have enjoyed both GT5 and GT6 very much. GT6 mostly online though. Not perfect games by far, but I still havent seen a perfect game. Maybe Gran Turismo is just my kind of game. There seems to be this weird collective opinion how GT5 and GT6 have failed - for me both games are right there in the top 2 of games i have put most hours. Wouldnt call that a fail.

I enjoyed GT5, but it was still a poor game and was shockingly disappointing on launch day. You are really attaching yourself to this perfect game thing in order to excuse PDI of lacklustre releases when no one but yourself has mentioned perfect games. I have played every GT right from release and the last 2 ( especially gt6 ) were abysmal and that is a fail when so many hardcore GT players like myself were shocked by how bad they were and GTS is doing zero to change my mind that PDI haven't lost their mojo. If you enjoy GT then great, but that doesn't make it not true that it is well behind the pack ( do not read "perfect" ).

I would also challenge people to try new ways and not quiting after first fail. I remember how i used to get my butt kicked in all online games - no matter if it was GT, Battlefield, world of tanks or any other. There is another learning curve when moving from offline to online just as if learning a new game. it takes few nights to get there in the middle of the pack, but its well worth it.
You seam to be having a really hard time with the realty here. PDI have not made a good game since 2004, and it looks like that's set to continue and that is why many are leaving PDI games behind, it has nothing to do with your invention that we can't play the game and we put it down after 5 minutes, there is also very little learning curve involved with GT and that too is why many have moved on. Just how many though will be interesting to see by the sales figures.

I enjoyed GT5, but it was still a poor game

:bowdown:

Also - I read your post about how awful GT5 and GT6 and GTS are, but could not point out a single reason or argument and even less (if possible) solutions. That is usually the case. This is why i reply to these comments.

Last edited:
A terrible idea mate. The reason people play offline against AI is because they expect to WIN. An online version would have ONE winner and 15-17 losers. That is why online is a no no for so many players.

I play some races per week offline on Assetto Corsa (PC) and Project Cars (PS4). I can't remember the last race I won, because that was a week or two ago, and I'm very happy with that.

I don't really think that most offliners do have that poor mindset; some do not have it at all like me.

Even if BETA wasn't here I'd still pre-order Collector's Edition!!!
I also have the GTS CE edition in pre order, BUT....

This beta is okayish and PD has a lot of work to do before they can release it as a final product. May be my/our expectations are too high? From a graphical point of view I expected already a finished (beta) version. A lot of details still need to be added.

Physics are so so. At this stage I cannot name it 'a real simulator', but PD can and will surprise us (hopefully)?

May be behind the screens they already have a more finished product on the shelf? If this beta is the latest build then it is going to be a very long time before the final race game see daylight.

And now back to my PS4 and fire up that beta --> it's almost 7PM (CET) and we're ready to race!

I also have the GTS CE edition in pre order, BUT....

This beta is okayish and PD has a lot of work to do before they can release it as a final product. May be my/our expectations are too high? From a graphical point of view I expected already a finished (beta) version. A lot of details still need to be added.

Physics are so so. At this stage I cannot name it 'a real simulator', but PD can and will surprise us (hopefully)?

May be behind the screens they already have a more finished product on the shelf? If this beta is the latest build then it is going to be a very long time before the final race game see daylight.

And now back to my PS4 and fire up that beta --> it's almost 7PM (CET) and we're ready to race!

Given its beta, and theres not even release date yet, id assume PD wouldnt want to flash the final product quite yet. they would loose a lot the marketing "buzz" from when the date is set and the product is previewed.

Back