Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 653 comments
Russian Federation
Russia, Moscow
Dionisiy
Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) and the creators of the highly-acclaimed Gran Turismo® series, Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI), today announced exciting plans for a long-term innovative partnership. The FIA’s role as the governing body of motor sport worldwide, and the representative of almost 80 million road and track users from 141 countries on five continents, will help grow the direct relationship between the millions of fans of Gran Turismo and the real-world of motor sport.

To mark the start of this collaboration, Gran Turismo®6 will become the first-ever video game to feature FIA-certified content. Gran Turismo 6 for PlayStation®3, which launched late last year, has been granted an FIA certification for four of the game’s world-famous tracks. The virtual circuits in Gran Turismo have been recreated in intricate detail. The track inspection for each was conducted by FIA officials who visited PDI’s development studio in Tokyo, where Gran Turismo 6 track models were accurately compared to FIA standards. Other tracks included in Gran Turismo 6 will be subject to inspection in order to obtain certification by the FIA in the near future.

As a second key element of the partnership, FIA & PDI plan to launch an official FIA Online Championship in 2015 with the intention of offering the large number of Gran Turismo players and motor sport fans the opportunity to engage with real motor sport.

Jean Todt, President of the FIA said: “This innovative new partnership will ensure that millions of Gran Turismo and motor sport fans can race on even more detailed tracks at home. The Gran Turismo series has played an important role in helping to attract a new fan base to motor sport. With the input of FIA in the development of the upcoming FIA Online Championship, Gran Turismo 6 will now offer an experience even closer to the real world of motor sport. We are also excited to be working closely with Polyphony Digital and Sony Computer Entertainment in the future to find new ways to continue to make motor sport more accessible to millions of fans that share a passion for racing.”

Kazunori Yamauchi, President of Polyphony Digital Inc. and creator of the Gran Turismo franchise, explains: “We are incredibly proud for Gran Turismo to be officially certified by the governing body of world motorsport. In the 15 years of Gran Turismo, this has to be the biggest accolade we have ever received. I believe this will be a major step forward for our mission to connect the virtual and real racing worlds in full circle, thereby expanding the population of car and motorsport enthusiasts in the world."

Jacques Berger, Head of Safety at the FIA said: “It was not until we completed the tests between our track data and the game’s track data that we fully appreciated the level of work and attention to detail that goes into the development of Gran Turismo 6. It was not just the tracks that have been precisely mapped out, but also the surrounding landscapes such as the run-off areas, grandstands and buildings.”

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_1153498.html

i1IyQfdwWIoenW.jpg

i1IWfeoEQKTzDW.jpg

The track inspection for each was conducted by FIA officials who visited PDI’s development studio of in Tokyo, where Gran Turismo 6 track models were accurately compared to FIA standards.

More Details:

The competition will consist of three “championships”: the “National Championship”, “Regional Championship”, and an “International Championship”.

Other details include:

• To be made accessible to all age groups.
  • A wide variety of racing categories.
  • Winner celebrated at FIA Prize Giving ceremony.
  • Delivery of a message emphasizing safety.
  • Final race to be supervised by FIA officials.
These details emphasize the high-profile nature of the competition – the “FIA Prize Giving Ceremony” is one of the most glamorous off-track events in motorsport. Typically held in Monaco or Paris, it’s where the Formula One, WRC, WTCC, WEC, and all other FIA-sanctioned world championship trophies are awarded, and next year a Gran Turismo player will be right there with them.

https://www.gtplanet.net/more-gran-turismo-fia-online-championship-details-begins-spring-2015/

1uQF6.png

New photo from FIA press-conference:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-term-partnership.312074/page-13#post-9809797

2XfFgrjaQT8.jpg

ZDwcXe_jtFo.jpg

pqN2id65Tpg.jpg

pk_2UcNT0Do.jpg

is7Nsi9LJ3M.jpg

Conference Q & A with Kazunori Yamauchi

Q How did the collaboration with the FIA begin?
A I think it was around two years ago that we heard that the FIA was interested in doing something with us and I went to their headquarters in Paris and I heard there that Mr Jean Todt had a great interest in the project as well. From then on a lot of ideas came up and we’ve shared and traded information.
The people from the FIA came to Polyphony twice to compare their data with ours. We were surprised because they are incredibly detailed about the things they check. It was very comprehensive.

Q How important is it for Gran Turismo to have the FIA seal of approval through using fully homologated circuits?
A To Gran Turismo there are a number of objectives. Of course, one of them is to enjoy controlling really fast cars on the track. At the same time I race myself and I understand the importance of safety in motor sport. I totally understand the FIA’s point of view in placing a heavy emphasis on the safety of the tracks that are used in racing. Reflecting that concern is important for us.

Q When you examined the information about those tracks, was there more information available that helped build more realistic circuits?
A When we actually take data from the tracks we go into a severe amount of detail in recreating and surveying everything that exists at a track, photographing everything. However, we didn’t realise until we got the input of the FIA why things are structured the way they are, why circuits are laid out in a particular way, why corners are profiled a certain way and what influences the shape and layout of the kerbs. In that respect we learned a lot about the protocols that go into circuit design.

Q You mentioned that you race yourself?
A I raced the Nurburgring 24 Hours recently. I’ve done that several times [he has won his class twice) and I race in the VLN Endurance Championship.

Q There are four circuits homologated in GT6, so what does the future hold?
A Today is really just the beginning. I don’t think we can include every circuit, some of them won’t be possible because there are a lot of classic circuits in Grand Turismo that we simply can’t do.

Q So it’s about making the current tracks as accurate as possible?
A We want each and every circuit exactly as it is in real life and the collaborating with the FIA is a big part of it.

http://www.fia.com/news/conference-q-kazunori-yamauchi

Last edited:
Sounds intriguing but I'm going to wait for more details before getting too excited. If all it means is 'certified' digital tracks it won't really affect us. If however it leads to race series being licensed and simulated with proper racing it will be great.

Looks like PD has finally realised there is competition (in the form of Project CARS) and has decided to take action this way. Hope this partnership works out for them!

Back