Polyphony Digital 'Reconfiguring' GT Sport Servers to Handle More Users

Well, i hope there won't be too much issues when the game launches. They had a huge closed beta. An open beta could have been useful. But, oh well. We will see how this will turn out. I will get the game a bit later this time, maybe 2 weeks after launch.

I played this nearly all day on Monday and the servers were fine for me, Tuesday night was ok too but I kept being disconnected most of the time on Wednesday night, this is the first Grand Turismo game I've ever played as I've always had a Xbox, I'm really pleased I bought a PS4 Pro as this game is brilliant and looks awesome, really looking forward to next Wednesday.

Why ?!?! Why i dot not wonder ?!?!?

Come on PD !!!!
There are only a few days left til 18 and you have server issues ?!?!?!?!?!?!

I can´t believe it...
Oh. Stop . When was release ? Ah, i remember: 18.10.2018..... ;-))))

This is a really interesting point (from an owner of a web agency) and I feel for Kaz a bit.

When you spin up servers you do some ground-work first to get an idea of expected demand. If Kaz and the team launched a server platform and that platform's capacity was exceeded it kinda suggests that Kaz and the team were expecting much less interest in their product, or miscalculated the connectivity effects (unlikely).

For clarification, they rarely had server issues on the closed Beta (where they knew the amount of users they could theoretically have online at any point in time) so this is reassuring for the Polyphony team. Also, this is exactly what a BETA is for; test, measure, action. They'll have a handsome server platform for launch.

Ah, the eternal problem with online games, or online anything.

"We weren't expecting x to be so popular!"

vs:

"We were trying to save money on server costs so we bought the least amount possible and hoped for the best"

Servers are cheap, so this isn't a cost issue.

Not good where there are server issues, but overall great demo hoping there wont be any more issues when the full game launches.

Well, i hope there won't be too much issues when the game launches. They had a huge closed beta. An open beta could have been useful. But, oh well. We will see how this will turn out. I will get the game a bit later this time, maybe 2 weeks after launch.

I've got a feeling (based on "obvious" stress testing and the filename of the download) that this is both an open beta and a demo.

He wasn't expecting over 1 million people to be playing the open beta he said in another tweet

I think he underestimates just how popular Gran Turismo is
It's Gran Turismo and it's free and includes cars and game progress - for free. Frankly 1 million is much lower than I would have predicted.

I don't get why there's surprise that there are things not 100% with the game. It's clearly labeled as a beta, therefore you should expect that something may or may not go wrong, really.
Except its not been clearly labeled as a demo.

The European Playstation blog presents it as a demo, as did the press release, not using the word beta once.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...t-limited-time-demo-goes-live-on-9th-october/

The same for its description in the store

In fact the word beta doesn't come into it until you have downloaded it, as such it wasn't clearly labeled as a beta.

The actual beta by contrast was very clearly described as a beta at every stage.

It's Gran Turismo and it's free and includes cars and game progress - for free. Frankly 1 million is much lower than I would have predicted.

For comparison: BF1 had 13.2 million, Destiny had 4.6 million, Overwatch 9.7 million, The Division 6.4 million. Then again, many of these titles were multi-platform and marketed/hyped aggressively.

The European Playstation blog presents it as a demo, as did the press release, not using the word beta once.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...t-limited-time-demo-goes-live-on-9th-october/

In fact the word beta doesn't come into it until you have downloaded it, as such it wasn't clearly labeled as a beta.

The actual beta by contrast was very clearly described as a beta at every stage.

That's all well and good, but it does say there could be issues on the demo wording within the PS Store (https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...demo/cid=EP9001-CUSA10194_00-GTSPORTBETA20001). You're right though, looking at the store they reference to it as a demo, but on load it's using the Beta symbol.

That's all well and good, but it does say there could be issues on the demo wording within the PS Store (https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...demo/cid=EP9001-CUSA10194_00-GTSPORTBETA20001). You're right though, looking at the store they reference to it as a demo, but on load it's using the Beta symbol.
Demo disclaimers are nothing new, but it hasn't been presented as a server-side beta at all, but a demo.

Given that quite a few people will have treated it as such, and the server issues combined with the short time before launch may well have put some off.

It the game creator don't trust his product - how players can trust creator? Few days to final release and they aren't ready for such amount of players? I can understant, what problems are normal, but not so much problems. I couldn't do a single online race within 3 days and it was in game, which don't have real Carrer mode. I think they were completely not ready to launch GTS.

I don't care about number of cars (yes, sadly there no road and historical cars), but I can't forgive for tracks. If they will ad them later for free - that's OK, but I'm affraid we must pay for them.
I was going to preorder, but after demo - no ...

Seriously, that should be the LAST thing they should be having an issue with.

Particularly with the whole online focus etc... of GTSport.

Would you like a little more Kazunori fail with your launch?

Can't say I've been bothered by any server issues aside from the second day I think there was a maintenance, every time I played I got on without issue and no problems to boot. It's good to hear that they have done something to fix whatever issue they were having. Hurry up 17th and get here, I want to do some racing and finally play the single player stuff I stopped myself from completing in the Demo/Beta, I want the satisfaction of completing it with a purchased product gracing my machine. Any word that he's heard about the DS4 control issue when traction is lost?

Why should it be a "Beta" ?
I mean the release date is just a few days away......
So the actual version should be very final if you ask me....

Practically every game nowadays has a day-one patch of bugs they've found since when the disks were machined, and launch. It's not unusual.

Why are the cars still so jittery and twitchy in a "online focused" racing game? i was ok with this in GT 6 since i spent most of my time in career mode any way, but how hasnt this been resolved?

i havent tried Sport Mode yet, is it the same, or is it smoother?

How could they screw this up? I mean, just look at the long list of other, online focused games that have released with no server capacity issues whatsoever. Oh... wait... that list is empty. ;)

Relax, folks. Server capacity issues are absolutely normal for a new release.

My download had a weird looking B with a curved tail the whole time in the picture.
Doesn't that mean Beta?

My download had a weird looking B with a curved tail the whole time in the picture.
Doesn't that mean Beta?
Which you don't see until you have downloaded it. Prior to download nothing says it's a beta, hence my point that it wasn't presented as just a beta, but rather as a demo.

Back