Polyphony Digital trying out Forza 3

• Thread starter skingg
  • 91 comments
skingg-R
"Perhaps the most surprising to me was when a couple developers from Gran Turismo makers Polyphony Digital came by to personally get hands-on with Forza 3, all the while taking careful notes, examining our UI system, shooting photos, and directly asking us some pretty interesting questions. The reason I say I was personally surprised was because PD aren’t generally known as a studio to acknowledge that there are racing games that exist beyond their own. Which could explain why the GT franchise has been so stagnant in the racing genre since GT3. So it seems competition is good for the consumer after all. I know for a fact that Turn 10 will never stop pushing racing games to the next level."

Source : forzamotorsport.net

Not a trolling post, thought its news and its interesting to see PD looking at competitors for a change! Hope this will give livery editor fans some hope for PD to implement them into GT5.

but livery editor were an idea of PD already, they wanted to implement it in gthd...

so they already have in mind this stuff...so if gt5 will implement livery editor, is not cuz they saw it in fm3....

My bad because I did not see it was within one of the threads.

Also, I stumble into this :

"Forza Motorsport 3 game director Dan Greenwalt is proud of his game. More specifically, he believes that Forza 3 has surpassed all of the competition, most notably Gran Turismo. When asked how Forza is positioned against other racing stalwarts like Need for Speed and Gran Turismo, Greenwalt did not mince words.

"I'm in this industry because of Gran Turismo, let's just be frank," said Greenwalt. He then explained that Gran Turismo inspired his first "stressful" car purchase, a Mitsubishi 3000GT, saying that is was "a great car in that game, and I thought 'Oh my God, if I'm ever going to have a car, that's the car that I want.'" Then things got ugly.

"So, props to Kazunori Yamauchi-san and the PS1 team," said Greenwalt. "That said," he continued, "I feel that he's passed us the baton. Perhaps he hasn't meant to, but we have taken the genre to new levels and they've stopped evolving the genre. So again, tremendous respect to him, but I'd say the differentiator is they're old school." He conclued, "The emperor's naked, and I don't want to, you know, I don't want to slap him around, but no game competes [with] us right now."

Source:Joystiq.com

Pretty bold take.

Last edited:
Oh my god, this bloke is just so full of himself...
I mean... what is he thinking.
He's like a small child!
Wayyyy too unprofessional.
he keeps dissing on gran turismo to make his own game look better. RIGHT!

What's with the Forza guys always taking shots at PD? They have acheived so much more and Forza isn't even that good anyway. It's only as good as Ferrari Challenge in my opinion.

Yeah, I've noticed that every time he talks about Gran Turismo, he feels the need to bash it no matter what... And that's why I really hate Turn 10. I was honestly looking forward to Forza 3 from the gameplay videos I saw (not as much as Gran Turismo 5, mind :P), but the developers attacking their main rival constantly and blowing their own trumpet has really rubbed me up the wrong way... I can't stand them now.

Just as an example, Turn 10 trying to make "old school" sound bad - that's a good thing you idiots! It means PD isn't abandoning its fan base. You go ahead and try to appeal to the more casual crowd, it doesn't make you better in any way.

Yeah don't want to sound rude here but the guy who said this is called chespace at Gaf and works for Turn 10. He has been banned several times for spouting nonsense about PD and is very well known for plain old lying when it comes to PD. He literally has a huge hate for PD which can only be justified if Yamauchi ran his dog over.

He also said there was no way PD was going to do cockpit views and also no more than 2 cars would be on a track if the graphical quality was near GT HD.....yeah so just take what he says with a grain of salt.

I think we can all be sure that turn10 played atleast one of the last GT games and took notes. It's nothing to be surprised about.

I like how a thread concerning PD looking at the competition turns into a "Forza is teh suxor and GT5 is teh 1337" thread. Seriously the comments about was Turn 10 should end with this statement: Turn 10 are talking the talk, but can the walk the walk? If they want to over hype the game then let them, all they are doing is setting themselves up for insanely high expectations.

There should be nothing surprising about this. Even if PD hasn't publicly looked at other racing games in the past you better believe they are doing it behind closed doors. I think PD could learn a lot from the Forza franchise and for that matter the Turn 10 guys could learn a lot from the GT series.

Based on all the GT releases since the first Forza appeared, I can't tell that have been studying the competition. I can only say that PD KNEW that GT would sell and really saw no need to evolve the series much.

"Forza Motorsport 3 game director Dan Greenwalt is proud of his game. More specifically, he believes that Forza 3 has surpassed all of the competition, most notably Gran Turismo. When asked how Forza is positioned against other racing stalwarts like Need for Speed and Gran Turismo, Greenwalt did not mince words.

"I'm in this industry because of Gran Turismo, let's just be frank," said Greenwalt. He then explained that Gran Turismo inspired his first "stressful" car purchase, a Mitsubishi 3000GT, saying that is was "a great car in that game, and I thought 'Oh my God, if I'm ever going to have a car, that's the car that I want.'" Then things got ugly. You took car buying advice from a PS1/2 game? And now your out to get revenge because your deluded self told you that it was a good car in the game? All I'm hearing is "whhaaaaaaa"
"So, props to Kazunori Yamauchi-san and the PS1 team," said Greenwalt. "That said," he continued, "I feel that he's passed us the baton. The baton of being an idiot - which didn't rub off on him Perhaps he hasn't meant to, but we have taken the genre to new levels and they've stopped evolving the genre. So again, tremendous respect to him, but I'd say the differentiator is they're old school." So is Concord He conclued, "The emperor's naked, and I don't want to, you know, I don't want to slap him around, Yes he does but no game competes [with] us right now." see...I told you he does. He meant you say no game's PR is as full of themselves as us

My take in Red

Look stop talking about Forza because thats exactly what MS/Trun 10 want. The fanboys wars pretty much just give them free publicity.

I dont think they are the same game at all. So MS seems desperate to flame the fires.

Last edited:
Oh my god, this bloke is just so full of himself...
I mean... what is he thinking.
He's like a small child!
Wayyyy too unprofessional.
he keeps dissing on gran turismo to make his own game look better. RIGHT!
Totally agree with this, seems he just can't stop bragging about Forza 3. Even if he is right, it doesn't give him the right to act like this. It's as you said, very unprofessional.

I've said this so many times already, but I say it again. His attitude have just made me lost all the the respect I started to gain for Forza 3.

Totally agree with this, seems he just can't stop bragging about Forza 3. Even if he is right, it doesn't give him the right to act like this. It's as you said, very unprofessional.

I've said this so many times already, but I say it again. His attitude have just made me lost all the the respect I started to gain for Forza 3.

Indeed. There's a BIG difference when you compare it to Kaz' attitude about Forza. He's like just neutral, as it should be I guess.

Indeed. There's a BIG difference when you compare it to Kaz' attitude about Forza. He's like just neutral, as it should be I guess.

The intention of the Forza team is to get GT fans worked up. Like what we are doing. It gets Forza alot of hype. Infact Forza is getting much more hype than GT5 clicks wise right now so its obviously working.

I think PD could learn a lot from the Forza franchise and for that matter the Turn 10 guys could learn a lot from the GT series.
What GT could learn from Forza?

How to do body customization? Yes.

How to do livery editor - without the bugs, please? Yes.

How to have every car oversteer? No.

How to implement driver views? No.

How to model cars? No.

How to overcharge for half worthwhile DLC? No.

I think that covers what PD could learn from Forza.

How to model cars? No.

+1

Not a lot at all...

How to model cars? No.

Telemetry and online play.

Because PD are "Honest" and dont talk smack, I love forza i just hate the Devs.... There so full of BS... i doubt the dev's at Turn 10 would even pick up a ps3 controler to play GT5

Good job PD. The Defenitive Console sim racing DEVS of this generation.

I must say that forza is a game that make me a child again, gt series are indeed stuck somehow so i hope a lot for gt5. What i have seen from forza 3 i am indeed picking it up as i will be picking up gt5 aswell but i must ask you to remain adults and not such fanboys!!!

I do believe both of those existed before the XBox even came into being. ;)

But there is one more cool thing from Froza. The trainable drivatar from FM1 was very cool.

I think they've existed before racing games did :P But Forza presents them in a way that no other game that I've played has done so well. Most PC sims you have to export the telemetry files and read them in another program (btw. GTR exporting in the same format as MoTeC is pretty cool). Forza with its live telemetry reads is pretty cool.

Back