Polyphony's E3 2017 Presentation Reveals More Details About GT Sport

Honestly, what happens in the real world is not important here. You absolutely can change how things are here. We all have some things in common, cars and gaming. Just take it a bit easier, we've all got different opinions but that doesn't mean it has to always end in an argument. Just calm it down and I'm sure things will improve.

Thank you for your understanding. GTPlanet and Gran Turismo aren't just another website and game for me, they're an escape. That's why I'm so defensive about GTS and why I seek recognition here.

This will probably be the final post I make in the GTS subforum before launch day at least. Farewell for now, when I return I hope I can be a more productive member of the community,

Thanks for the info, wish they went into a bit more detail about photo mode and scapes. Some of those lovely shots would look so good as my background. I wonder if PD could convince Sony to include an app to make Live Themes for use on the XMB. I'm already thinking of using that foggy misty Nurburgring for something real interesting. Any idea if we'll be able to choose something like a free drive mode to capture shots? Sort of like you choose having the car roll lights out of the paddock and as it nears the track entry lights stir on and rolls out to a complete stop to while I can pause at any time to get a shot, ability to replay that short sequence as many times as possible get the perfect shot, I'd love something like that in photo mode. Yea I think I went overboard there, well time to get back to life and reality.

I feel like this all seems abit too familiar. Like I could've sworn alot of this has been heard before (Although in fairness, PD isn't the only one pushing the "in 4k" sales pitch).

Also, am I only the one that feels this entire 4K push feels like yet another gimmick (like 3D TVs)? I just fail to understand the difference that justifies the high price of any of it, there doesn't seem to be a massive interest in it and the amount of people that own 4K TVs doesn't, at least to me, justify the investment being put into it.

Also, am I only the one that feels this entire 4K push feels like yet another gimmick (like 3D TVs)? I just fail to understand the difference that justifies the high price of any of it, there doesn't seem to be a massive interest in it and the amount of people that own 4K TVs doesn't, at least to me, justify the investment being put into it.

Travel back in time about a dozen years, and replace all the 4K references with HD, and this post wouldn't look out of place.

It's not a gimmick, its progress. If PD didn't start aiming for it, it would be to the company's disadvantage. Just about everything was being shown in 4K at E3, and on bigger screens it certainly does make a difference.*

* - a relatively minor one in comparison to HDR, IMO. But a difference nonetheless.

I've talked about GTS in general and GT6 in particular. And not always in glowing terms. However, for the life of me I don't know if the Ferrari in the OP is real or digital. There are many gripes I continue to have about GTS. But imaging/graphics is not one of them. The car and track visuals are stunning by ANY measure. And I don't care if they are 4K or not. I would invest in a 4K setup to just to experience it. I would also soil my under ware if Assetto Corsa or RFactor 2 looked anything close to GTS graphically.:bowdown:

Travel back in time about a dozen years, and replace all the 4K references with HD, and this post wouldn't look out of place.

It's not a gimmick, its progress. If PD didn't start aiming for it, it would be to the company's disadvantage. Just about everything was being shown in 4K at E3, and on bigger screens it certainly does make a difference.*

* - a relatively minor one in comparison to HDR, IMO. But a difference nonetheless.

I'm not just reffering to PD, I'm reffering to pretty everyone pushing 4K (Hell, Microsoft's E3 Briefing was stuffed full of 4K mentions). I guess I actually need to see up close to really judge as its kinda hard to tell from just youtube videos, but it just seems abit much since the amount of people owning a 4K TV isn't all that big and prices for them are still a wee bit too high.

As for the HD, maybe it was just me and a handful of people at the time but I immediately saw the difference (even though it was mostly via the "SD" and "HD" settings on YouTube :lol:)

I could see why some may be underwhelmed by what PD chose to release. We've known for years the amount of work & time they put into the cars & the superior lighting, constantly pushing the graphics boundary into creating realistic looking images. It's basically expected by this point for them go this far with details.

The 1 thing I could do without knowing is them calling the cars, "Super Premiums". I don't know how much further they can push the envelope on the cars, as I thought the GT6 Premiums were supposed to be the highest detail models around in the gaming world.

My dad thinks that 4K is major gimmick... I don't because pretty soon, it will be mainstream across households all over the world. Argue as much as you want against it but you can't stop progress man. (not directing this at you Slip, it's just my general commentary)

I'm not just reffering to PD, I'm reffering to pretty everyone pushing 4K (Hell, Microsoft's E3 Briefing was stuffed full of 4K mentions). I guess I actually need to see up close to really judge as its kinda hard to tell from just youtube videos, but it just seems abit much since the amount of people owning a 4K TV isn't all that big and prices for them are still a wee bit too high.

Yeah, seeing it in person makes all the difference. However, I'll be picking up the PS4 Pro after GT releases, but have no plans to buy a 4K TV for a while (mainly because I also plan to get the Playseat Challenge + racing wheel). I don't feel like I'm missing out by not playing in 4K, but at some point I'm going to want to enjoy GT Sport, and the rest of my games, in its full 4K HDR greatness. HD will serve me perfectly well until then:tup:.

Also, 4K TVs are getting very affordable - a good 50" can be found for less than $450.

The 1 thing I could do without knowing is them calling the cars, "Super Premiums". I don't know how much further they can push the envelope on the cars, as I thought the GT6 Premiums were supposed to be the highest detail models around in the gaming world.

:eek::eek:ULTRA PREMIUMS:eek::eek: on PS5

Bugatti Veyron confirmed. Sweet. Unexpected. What car class will it be?

Or hopefully this means GT Sport will have cars that don't belong to any class. Can only hope because GTS seriously needs more variety.

Even with 177 cars, so far the lineup is crapola compared to Assetto Corsa's or project cars 1's lineup.

I'm not just reffering to PD, I'm reffering to pretty everyone pushing 4K (Hell, Microsoft's E3 Briefing was stuffed full of 4K mentions). I guess I actually need to see up close to really judge as its kinda hard to tell from just youtube videos,

That's because it's a youtube video. Youtube videos have ultra low bitrates. They use terrible compression algorithms as well and are smothered with macroblocking and all kinds of artifacts. It's like smothering your TV screen with vaseline, then doing a bad job cleaning it off.

Literally, 480p DVD movies's have a higher bitrate quality (9.8 Mbps) than youtube 1440p (9 Mbps), and youtube 4k is only a little better

If playing the game on your TV is a WAV file, watching it on youtube is a 56kbps MP3 (next time you rip a music CD, try ripping it at 56 kbps to see what I mean).

Lossless gameplay footage is around 150 Mbps for 1080p 60 fps. 4k on youtube is only 17-24 Mbps, 1080p is only 2.5Mbps (5 Mbps for 60 fps).

When you're losing 96% of your original source, there's bound to be drastic loss of detail no matter how good their digital guess work techniques get.

Last edited:
Don't know what to say, 4 years on the technology that you can only see on a "fancy" display, not that it matters tho because even your eyes can't see the colour range in some cases. Meanwhile the game lacks in all areas against it's competitors, got delayed for a year and essentially feels like GT6 with less cars, better graphics and improved handling.

I do believe that the Japanese have been experimenting with 8K, with some of their broadcasts. I think it's a natural progression, with how we went from SD to HD, but I think things are going to move a little faster now. If it is a gimmick, I still think it's less gimmicky than 3D, or this VR stuff.

I have a question or three regarding HDR, as I don't know jack about the ins and outs of it. And can never seem to find any answers, via Google, that are specific enough...

So, this game uses HDR. My PS4 is vanilla. My TV is a 4k HDR TV.
But the HDR is only enabled in every mode but one...

...Game Mode...

Game mode, on my TV, cuts out all post processing, because of the lag. A game such as Project Diva Future Tone is impossible to play, outside of Game Mode because of the split micro-second timing needed to hit the notes at the correct time etc...

I am assuming that Wheel to TV input lag will mean I have to use Game Mode to play GT Sport.

Lots of games, across all platforms, are touting HDR as this thing that is part of the future. But if it is part of post processing on one's TV, then why would anyone want to use a TV mode that has HDR?

Does the PS4 Pro, take lag into account when not playing in a TV's Game Mode?
Does PS4 vanilla even support HDR?
Does the game look considerably worse, playing in a non-post-processed Game Mode ?

Sorry if I'm not explaining things very well. Like I say, I'm really not in the know with regards as how to HDR.

I have a question or three regarding HDR, as I don't know jack about the ins and outs of it. And can never seem to find any answers, via Google, that are specific enough...

...Game Mode...

Game mode, on my TV, cuts out all post processing, because of the lag. A game such as Project Diva Future Tone is impossible to play, outside of Game Mode because of the split micro-second timing needed to hit the notes at the correct time etc...

I am assuming that Wheel to TV input lag will mean I have to use Game Mode to play GT Sport.

Lots of games, across all platforms, are touting HDR as this thing that is part of the future. But if it is part of post processing on one's TV, then why would anyone want to use a TV mode that has HDR?

Does the game look considerably worse, playing in a non-post-processed Game Mode ?

Sorry if I'm not explaining things very well. Like I say, I'm really not in the know with regards as how to HDR.

Yes, the regular PS4 supports HDR. Not all TVs are good enough to allow HDR gaming, some just have too high input lag when using it. Could you tell us what TV you're using?

Yes, the regular PS4 supports HDR. Not all TVs are good enough to allow HDR gaming, some just have too high input lag when using it. Could you tell us what TV you're using?

Good point. I should have done that initially, d'oh!

TV is: LG webOS TV UF850V : http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UF850V

Y'know, looking at it now :) ... hmm, my TV has something called " HDMI Ultra deep colour " (Which you can turn on or off ) hmmm....methinks, maybe I don't have HDR as I first imagined...

Though, playing something like (apologies up front) No Man's Sky on a TV mode that initiates " HDMI Ultra deep colour " and the difference is startling, to be fair.

I may still be confusing that " HDMI Ultra deep colour " with actual real HDR though...

EDIT: Found a forum post on a tech forum, that suggests that I might not have enabled something on my TV that allows my PS4 to access "HDR". So i am doubly confused as to if this is actually HDR or some other weird LG-only one off tech experiment, that they called "HDMI Ultra Deep Colour" lol :D

Post below...

"Don't know where to put this, but my LG was a pain to set up with ps4 pro."

First no picture, turn off ps4 pro, the hold power for 10 secs or 2 beeps, into safe mode, goto hdcp and select 1.4 only, reboot and you have 4k picture and sound.

HDR took me a while to work out, if you check you ps4 pro is says hdr not supported.

You have to enable this on you TV by changing one setting.

Also plug you hdmi directly into your TV, not via a sound system or via PSVR, these block the HDR.

So on my LG I go to all settings, then general, scroll all the way to the bottom on that after about tv.

Click on HDMI ULTRA HD DEEP COLOUR.

Select whichever hdmi port your ps4 pro is connected to and your tv will reset with HDR active.
Hope this helps those who are stuck.

Coffindodgeruk"

They are referring to my TV Model, but also to the PS4 Pro, which I guess isn't exactly helpful. I will check it out though...

Last edited:

I am very curious to know if this is the case. I was thinking of upgrading to 4K myself but HDR will be useless in anything but replays to me if it means increased input lag via HDR post-processing outside of game mode.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? Can you use HDR in game mode on any current tv or is it always post processing and never used in game mode?

I am very curious to know if this is the case. I was thinking of upgrading to 4K myself but HDR will be useless in anything but replays to me if it means increased input lag via HDR post-processing outside of game mode.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? Can you use HDR in game mode on any current tv or is it always post processing and never used in game mode?

Slight digression from your point: I cannot speak for anyone else, sadly, but I have been going through a forum, where people who had PS4 Pro's are having a lot of trouble with their LG TV's not working with PS4 Pro as they should. Even though everyone has HDR, the Playstation is still saying HDR is not supported when looking in the:

Settings
Video Output Settings
Video Output Information
menu.

I also have this issue. My TV's HDMI ports all support HDR, it seems, yet my PS4 ( vanilla ) won't acknowledge it.

Going by various forum posts, it turns out that this is actually an LG firmware issue ( my TV is up to date with firmware ) and they are apparently working with Sony on a fix. When or if that TV firmware update is coming, is anybody's guess :( It might also be my HDMI cable, even though I am certain is HDMI 2.0, not 1.4 or whatever the previous standard was...

Back to your point. With my specific TV, if i play any game outside of Game Mode ( let's say Cinema or "Expert1/2" Mode ) the post processing of the images causes a delay of at least half a second or so. It's really off putting. Making split second decisions in GT Sport would be incredibly handicapped for me. It could be that I could simply spend some time adjusting the many image menus on my TV, turning things on or off, or adjusting sliders to reduce or eradicate the issue altogether perhaps, but I'm not savvy enough to know what effects what.

It might be that my TV is a bit older ( even though it gets firmware updates still ) and that the lag issue is specific to my model. Maybe the hardware itself isn't up to scratch for 4k gaming? I would still highly recommend upgrading to a 4k, simply because the image on these TVs ( mine included ) is absolutely beautiful. Even over a 1080p TV, the leap is significant. I guess that there are many tech forums and sites out there that have lists of TVs, specifically set out to be "best for gaming" suggestions.

I think I asked the question originally, thinking too broadly about TVs in general, when in fact there are so many subtle differences between so many TVs that can make or break a gaming experience, should you want HDR (and 4k if you have the Pro too, of course ).

Got the Sony XE90 series tv no problems with lag but is has to be in game mode. Other modes huge lag but theres game mode,

It gaves a verry nice in 4k HDR with GT Sport, Uncharted, Horizon etc! Once HDR you can never go back!

Apologising is something that we Canadians do best, so I'd like to direct one at @Famine.

Please forgive me for being so rude earlier this week. The excitement of E3 and high expectations clouded my judgement and I posted some stupid
s:censored: without thinking.

Thank you for taking the time out of your days to moderate this great site, and thank you for your excellent coverage of events at E3. We're a great forum when we have people like you running the show.
:gtpflag:

Wish I could send you a cold one over the 'net buddy. See you around.

...Game Mode...

Yes. Vanilla PS4 does support HDR.

Most modern TV's do have a significant amount of input lag with out game mode though. They're usually pretty good with game mode enabled, about 17ms-40ms depending on what TV, but without it they usually are a lot worse.

If it's possible to enable HDR while game mode is on, it might not be so bad. Most TV's you can enable other things like frame interpolation, or active LED zones without adding nearly as much lag as turning off game mode, but having game mode off is typically bad.

Like going from 20-40ms to 90-120ms bad, just from game mode alone.

Every little option your TV has does add input lag though for the most part.Even having your TV's speakers on can add input lag believe it or not, and TV's audio options like dynamics, or faux surround definitely do as well. Any color tuning options though shouldn't add input lag at all though. All the normal stuff I mean like brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, color temp, etc.

I suggest finding your TV model on rtings. Or display lag database but that's mainly a site for monitor's, not TV's. Rtings is better.

The picture quality shouldn't look worse with game mode enabled though. Maybe different but not worse. That goes for TV's in general because a lot of people set their TV's up wrong.

TV's are actually supposed to be set up pretty neutral. If you set up your TV properly with calibration tools, or just copy whatever Rtings came up with for your model, it'll look great with or without game mode.

Back