Poor judgment - when you think YOU were the victim but the replays tell a different story.

United States
Daytona Beach
sloppysmusic
EDIT- To clear up any confusion here. My car is the White/Red Lancer PSN ID SLOPPYSMUSIC in the video. Sorry for not making that clear when I originally posted.

NOT my proudest moment. I quit playing for a while after this race. At the time I thought I was entirely the victim of a malicious driver. When I saw the replays I was shocked to see there are always two sides to every story and in this case mine was NOT as clear cut as I had thought. Now I try to never assume I am in the right and have changed my racing mindset IF I race on-line again. This occurred in January and I haven't raced on-line since. If the 'other guy' is a GT planet member please accept my humblest apologies. I thought I had clearly passed you before the first corner and it was mine to take how I wanted. I didn't even KNOW you were right next to me. My fault, can't complain and say I was racing cockpit view and could not see you. I was pretty fast on this track I had time trialled it a lot and knew my lines but racing against others is NOT a time trial.

Another point of shame is that the hosts of this lobby are part of a clean racing team who had invited me to join their ranks before this race. The team leader admonished me for being overly aggressive afterwards and I argued for hours via messages that he needed to see the replay from my cockpit before passing judgment. When I finally captured all the replays from all angles I was dumbstruck. What a pompous ass I had been. I hope making this honest video showing ALL angles goes someway to expressing my regret with this episode. I COULD have made it showing only my point of view and trashed the other driver. If this helps anyone else to come clean and admit they also may be at fault in the heat of the moment it was worth it!
Oh and GT Planet Rocks! What a great community for us to share our glories and umm this.....
Anyway enough of my shame..here's the video
:dunce::gtpflag:

Last edited:
To be honest you looked like a complete tool on the track. Looks like you even went after him to retaliate.

But hey, you've seemed to learn your lesson. Dont let any incident discourage you from racing. Analyse them and learn from them. You cant learn perfect race craft in a day, it comes with experience, mostly bad experience.

That's the most common incident and that's what radar is for. As long as you can't race in VR and keep track of other cars it's kind of a must.

Unfortunately the current penalty system often penalizes the car on the inside which has every right to be there. I just had 3 awesome races on the Infield, yet that kind of incident happened in all three races with penalties given out. It's easy to tell who uses radar and who doesn't. I also had the most amazing lap in a cluster of 5 or 6 cars all going flawlessly together through all the turns while exchanging positions in the corners. That's the kind of racing I keep coming back for.

The only way to learn is to keep doing online races. I passed the 2500 tonight and I'm still learning!

I only saved and exported the replays to prove I was right but when I saw I wasnt I quit racing for 3 months. I had become ultra competitive, spurred on by multiple bad sport races where I had genuinely been the victim to believe hey I'm the fastest here come take me on, but hit me and I will hit you back.
Like they say pride comes before a fall, I thought sharing the replays and my sincere regret would be a penance. Appreciate we don't have virtual stocks and tomatoes to throw here!

NOT my proudest moment. I quit playing for a while after this race. At the time I thought I was entirely the victim of a malicious driver. When I saw the replays I was shocked to see there are always two sides to every story and in this case mine was NOT as clear cut as I had thought. Now I try to never assume I am in the right and have changed my racing mindset IF I race on-line again. This occurred in January and I haven't raced on-line since. If the 'other guy' is a GT planet member please accept my humblest apologies. I thought I had clearly passed you before the first corner and it was mine to take how I wanted. I didn't even KNOW you were right next to me. My fault, can't complain and say I was racing cockpit view and could not see you. I was pretty fast on this track I had time trialled it a lot and knew my lines but racing against others is NOT a time trial.

Another point of shame is that the hosts of this lobby are part of a clean racing team who had invited me to join their ranks before this race. The team leader admonished me for being overly aggressive afterwards and I argued for hours via messages that he needed to see the replay from my cockpit before passing judgment. When I finally captured all the replays from all angles I was dumbstruck. What a pompous ass I had been. I hope making this honest video showing ALL angles goes someway to expressing my regret with this episode. I COULD have made it showing only my point of view and trashed the other driver. If this helps anyone else to come clean and admit they also may be at fault in the heat of the moment it was worth it!
Oh and GT Planet Rocks! What a great community for us to share our glories and umm this.....
Anyway enough of my shame..here's the video
:dunce::gtpflag:

From that Porsche's perspective you hit him repeatedly and were trying to take him out.

Radar is great for sides, plus, I despise the bumper cam, I find it far too low. So I need the radar in my roof cam (or hood cam) as a mirror doesn't exist for that angle.

Fair point, different strokes and all that.
Chase cam you can see all around.... so less chance of impacts like this :)

JUST.SAYIN.
Chase cam is for playing ridge racer 1 on (for those who are old enough for 1993/4);)

If you've been watching out the windshield, and the mirror, you intrinsically know when someone is alongside...
If they disappear from the mirror, and are not in front, then, they are alongside... and vice-versa.
Also, the mirror lets you see folks coming from a long ways off, so, there is no element of surprise like there is with chase-cam or radar...
Folks may not like bumper cam, but it provides the best tools in game for spacial awareness.
My .02

As for OP, and the video... if you are the white car, not sure why you attempted to run the 991 off the outside at turn 1 exit...
If you are the 991... anger management counseling may be in your future.

Brave of you to upload that, however somewhat pointless.

You're not gonna get any pats on the back here, just people shooting you down as you can already see

If the only point of making any post here is to receive much love and admiration from one's peers then there was indeed no point. It is an apology and visual explanation of how easy it is in 'the heat of battle' to get the situation entirely wrong depending on whichever driving view is used. There is a separate thread going on right now with that as the subject which persuaded me to finally get this out there.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that most dirty racing incidences are actually short tempered misunderstandings rather than actual troll drivers. The general etiquette awareness even at SR S is still surprisingly (or not surprisingly given the poor tutorial tools in the game) low.

As I'm racing, a part of my brain sort of vaguely tracks how much I'm pissing off the cars around me. Even if I'm in the right, I know that every time another car bumps me or has to back out of my lead, that they're on the verge of losing their minds and trying to punt me.

Overlapping lead car tries to run me off of the road while we run two wide? I assume that he thinks I'm a dive bomber even though I had right of way to the last car width on the inside of the track.

I have to hold the brake longer through an esse because the lead car flunked his line? I know the car behind me thinks I brake checked him.

At every moment I give the other driver the benefit of the doubt and assume that they think I'm the dirty driver. 3 almost incidences with one car and I presume I've worn my welcome and I usually remain mindful of that driver prepared for a defensive driving situation.

If the only point of making any post here is to receive much love and admiration from one's peers then there was indeed no point. It is an apology and visual explanation of how easy it is in 'the heat of battle' to get the situation entirely wrong depending on whichever driving view is used. There is a separate thread going on right now with that as the subject which persuaded me to finally get this out there.

Fair enough for the apology but as you well know you will get no love or admiration. If you put the post up to get stick then yeah definitely a post with a point.

I get the point of the post.
OP feels shame, wants to admit wrong doing to the forum members, getting responses good or bad is acknowledgment that he is still part of the community...
And provides the rest of us an opportunity for self reflection.

So, @Sloppy Shades , which car is you?

Interesting I didnt make that clear! I'm the WRX, or to be clearer the PSN user SLOPPYSMUSIC. I think someone earlier thought I was the Porsche! Hence saying I went back for retaliation later ,,,,

"To be honest you looked like a complete tool on the track. Looks like you even went after him to retaliate."

You DO mean the Porsche right? My one moment of retaliation here was at end of first bend when I gassed it too much trying to get back in front of the guy so I lost control and hit the outside wall.

EDIT- To clear up any confusion here. My car is the White/Red WRX PSN ID SLOPPYSMUSIC in the video.
~ the hosts of this lobby are part of a clean racing team who had invited me to join their ranks before this race. The team leader admonished me for being overly aggressive afterwards ~
Hope he was equally assertive with Mr. 991... I would ban him for that behavior... not just the idiotic retaliation, but for purposely hitting you mid corner in T1 as well... The first contact... sure, you drove in, but, he was behind enough that he had no choice but to see you there, and choose to hang out a bit rather than go tight to the curb... I don't think either party is fully at fault or fully innocent... and neither car was going to loose speed much less a position... from then on it's a circus.

Back