Porsche 718 Boxster

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by R1600Turbo, Jan 26, 2016.

1. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/porsche-718-boxster-revealed-with-new.html (article updating)

[​IMG]

Engine info:

"In the base 718 Boxster, the 2.0-liter unit produces 300PS (296hp) and 380Nm (280 lb-ft) of peak torque available from 1,950 rpm to 4,500 rpm, representing gains of 35hp and 100Nm (74 lb-ft) respectively over the naturally-aspirated 2.7-liter flat-six it replaces on the outgoing model. When combined with the optional PDK dual-clutch transmission and the Sport Chrono package, the 718 Boxster sprints to 100km/h in 4.7 seconds, shaving 0.8 seconds from its predecessor, while topping out at 275km/h (171mph).

The 718 Boxster S gets the larger displacement 2.5-liter four featuring a turbocharger with a variable turbine geometry that’s rated at 350PS (345hp) and 420Nm (310 lb-ft) from 1,900 rpm to 4,500 rpm, offering an increase of 35hp and 60Nm (44 lb-ft) respectively over the 3.4-liter naturally-aspirated flat-six of the previous Boxster S. According to Porsche, when paired to the PDK transmission and the Sport Chrono kit, the 718 Boxster S hits 100km/h (62mph) in 4.2 seconds (0.6 seconds faster) and reaches a top speed of 285km/h (177mph). "

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

Well. It's a Porsche. I do like the flat 4 turbo future though.

3. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Buy all the used NA Boxsters, sell later for profit.

CarreraGT, 05XR8, VXR and 1 other person like this.
  4. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

The turbo flat four seems like a fantastic powertrain for the car, I'm interested to hear what the exhaust is like once it hits the streets. If they can make it anything not like Subaru's, that'd be great.

5. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

The current one, or the classic noise?

Eh, I realize a lot of folks will say "looks the same", but I'm not liking the detailing. The current Boxster was the best iteration in the history of the model, with a mature, classy look compared to the dumpy, soap-like original. The front bumper of this is fussier, and the new taillights look cheap. It's also dropped one of the best design features of the current one, IMO: the integrated rear spoiler. Now, there's just a small grille opening. I appreciate how it visually ties the car to the 911 more, which makes sense given the new numerical designation, but it's not half as interesting.

TwinTurbo LM, McLaren, Bo and 6 others like this.
  6. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

Current one, I suppose. I'm just not a fan of the awkward burble of their H4. Too much tractor for my taste.

7. RCKakashi14

RCKakashi14

With them making 300 horsepower and up, plus their mid-engined layout...

...Porsche is giving buyers another reason why not to buy a 911. :lol:

Imagine the upcoming Cayman.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. psntomaz

psntomaz

Im Kind of Confused.... Why call it 718 "Boxster" and Not just "718" ???

9. 1241Penguin

1241Penguin Premium

The same reason why Subaru doesn't name their Imprezas GC, GD, GR, or VA - because it's an internal designation for what are essentially different generations of the same car.

10. C-ZETA

C-ZETA Premium

Because the Cayman will also be called '718', which makes sense since they're very similar.

Anyway I'm sure both models will again go down an absolute storm with critics. Me? Well, I just wish someone would make a rival that was much prettier...not that the Boxster's bad-looking, it's just not great-looking.

11. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Why not just stick to Boxster and Cayman? - what the hell does 718 have to do with anything? Will the Cayenne start getting called the '958 Cayenne' and the Panamera the '970 Panamera'?

12. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Same reason as they call 911s "Carrera" (and other types before, of course).

13. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

Nifty. I've been waiting for Porsche to bring back a boxer four. It would be pretty sweet if they also revived the 914 with an Alfa-Romeo-4C-sized car with a naturally-aspirated version of this engine, but I doubt they have any such plans or would price it any lower than the Boxster.

14. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

The Boxster is already cheaper than an Alfa 4C, can't see why Porsche would have any need to slot in an even cheaper model. Especially as it would have to compete with an Audi TT stable-mate.

15. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

Exactly what I mean, but a baby Porsche that weighs in around the magic 1000kg mark with an NA four would be really cool.

16. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

They do a badge job on the Q5 and Q7, might as well do it with the TT/A3/Golf/Scirroco/Tiguan/Touran/Passat/Octavia/Superb/Leon. :)

17. Moglet

Moglet Premium

L
    This. The rear end really loses a lot of visual appeal with that little grille opening there and the front end actually looks more dated than the current one IMO. The left and right vents in the front bumper look less dynamic and don't flow as well. It's a shame because I think the current Boxster is a beautiful thing and this just takes the good bits and makes them worse. :(

TwinTurbo LM, GTracer38 and brocktj4 like this.
  18. It looks like an MR2, 3rd gen i think

19. Robin

Robin Premium

Yeah it does appear to be looking less Porschey now :lol:

20. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

21. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

They might as well just have called it the 912.

Or are they planning a 4 pot 911 chassis?

22. Cale

Cale Premium

1. Would make no sense

2. No, porsche has stated no 4 cyl 911

23. Leonidae@MFT

[email protected] Premium

I, for one, welcome cheaper Cayman with 4-banger turbo performance. Especially if it sounds reasonably good.

24. Tornado

Tornado

Shame they didn't move the regular Boxster engine to the S and turbocharge that, but I get why. Probably helps drive a bigger wedge between the 911 and Cayman too. Nice to see there is an engine difference between the regular on and the S instead of them just cranking the boost, though.

25. Cale

Cale Premium

Price went up I think, and the Boxster now costs more than the Cayman

26. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

1. Why not?

2. Hence the 912.

27. Cale

Cale Premium

1. because 912 was a 4 cyl 911, whereas the 718 was a mid engined sports car

2. There won't be any 4 cyl in this 911 or the next one, therefore there wont be a 912 revival.

Swagger897 and Dennisch like this.
  28. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Uummmm. Tenuous link you're trying to work on us there, Porsche. Neither resembles it in looks, concept or function.

TexRex and VXR like this.
  29. Leonidae@MFT

[email protected] Premium

I'd still take Cayman 718 over any 911..

30. 05XR8

05XR8

The BR-Z chassis would be perfect to make a modern 924 with that new Porsche engine.