Porsche 718 Boxster

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 168 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/porsche-718-boxster-revealed-with-new.html (article updating)

New-Porsche-718-35.jpg

Engine info:

"In the base 718 Boxster, the 2.0-liter unit produces 300PS (296hp) and 380Nm (280 lb-ft) of peak torque available from 1,950 rpm to 4,500 rpm, representing gains of 35hp and 100Nm (74 lb-ft) respectively over the naturally-aspirated 2.7-liter flat-six it replaces on the outgoing model. When combined with the optional PDK dual-clutch transmission and the Sport Chrono package, the 718 Boxster sprints to 100km/h in 4.7 seconds, shaving 0.8 seconds from its predecessor, while topping out at 275km/h (171mph).

The 718 Boxster S gets the larger displacement 2.5-liter four featuring a turbocharger with a variable turbine geometry that’s rated at 350PS (345hp) and 420Nm (310 lb-ft) from 1,900 rpm to 4,500 rpm, offering an increase of 35hp and 60Nm (44 lb-ft) respectively over the 3.4-liter naturally-aspirated flat-six of the previous Boxster S. According to Porsche, when paired to the PDK transmission and the Sport Chrono kit, the 718 Boxster S hits 100km/h (62mph) in 4.2 seconds (0.6 seconds faster) and reaches a top speed of 285km/h (177mph). "

Last edited:
The turbo flat four seems like a fantastic powertrain for the car, I'm interested to hear what the exhaust is like once it hits the streets. If they can make it anything not like Subaru's, that'd be great.

If they can make it anything not like Subaru's, that'd be great.

The current one, or the classic noise?

Eh, I realize a lot of folks will say "looks the same", but I'm not liking the detailing. The current Boxster was the best iteration in the history of the model, with a mature, classy look compared to the dumpy, soap-like original. The front bumper of this is fussier, and the new taillights look cheap. It's also dropped one of the best design features of the current one, IMO: the integrated rear spoiler. Now, there's just a small grille opening. I appreciate how it visually ties the car to the 911 more, which makes sense given the new numerical designation, but it's not half as interesting.

With them making 300 horsepower and up, plus their mid-engined layout...

...Porsche is giving buyers another reason why not to buy a 911. :lol:

Imagine the upcoming Cayman.

Im Kind of Confused.... Why call it 718 "Boxster" and Not just "718" ???
The same reason why Subaru doesn't name their Imprezas GC, GD, GR, or VA - because it's an internal designation for what are essentially different generations of the same car.

Because the Cayman will also be called '718', which makes sense since they're very similar.

Anyway I'm sure both models will again go down an absolute storm with critics. Me? Well, I just wish someone would make a rival that was much prettier...not that the Boxster's bad-looking, it's just not great-looking.

Why not just stick to Boxster and Cayman? - what the hell does 718 have to do with anything? Will the Cayenne start getting called the '958 Cayenne' and the Panamera the '970 Panamera'?

Nifty. I've been waiting for Porsche to bring back a boxer four. It would be pretty sweet if they also revived the 914 with an Alfa-Romeo-4C-sized car with a naturally-aspirated version of this engine, but I doubt they have any such plans or would price it any lower than the Boxster.

Nifty. I've been waiting for Porsche to bring back a boxer four. It would be pretty sweet if they also revived the 914 with an Alfa-Romeo-4C-sized car with a naturally-aspirated version of this engine, but I doubt they have any such plans or would price it any lower than the Boxster.

The Boxster is already cheaper than an Alfa 4C, can't see why Porsche would have any need to slot in an even cheaper model. Especially as it would have to compete with an Audi TT stable-mate.

The Boxster is already cheaper than an Alfa 4C, can't see why Porsche would have any need to slot in an even cheaper model. Especially as it would have to compete with an Audi TT stable-mate.
Exactly what I mean, but a baby Porsche that weighs in around the magic 1000kg mark with an NA four would be really cool.

Exactly what I mean, but a baby Porsche that weighs in around the magic 1000kg mark with an NA four would be really cool.

They do a badge job on the Q5 and Q7, might as well do it with the TT/A3/Golf/Scirroco/Tiguan/Touran/Passat/Octavia/Superb/Leon. :)

L
Eh, I realize a lot of folks will say "looks the same", but I'm not liking the detailing. The current Boxster was the best iteration in the history of the model, with a mature, classy look compared to the dumpy, soap-like original. The front bumper of this is fussier, and the new taillights look cheap. It's also dropped one of the best design features of the current one, IMO: the integrated rear spoiler. Now, there's just a small grille opening. I appreciate how it visually ties the car to the 911 more, which makes sense given the new numerical designation, but it's not half as interesting.

This. The rear end really loses a lot of visual appeal with that little grille opening there and the front end actually looks more dated than the current one IMO. The left and right vents in the front bumper look less dynamic and don't flow as well. It's a shame because I think the current Boxster is a beautiful thing and this just takes the good bits and makes them worse. :(

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/porsche-718-boxster-revealed-with-new.html (article updating)

New-Porsche-718-35.jpg

Engine info:

"In the base 718 Boxster, the 2.0-liter unit produces 300PS (296hp) and 380Nm (280 lb-ft) of peak torque available from 1,950 rpm to 4,500 rpm, representing gains of 35hp and 100Nm (74 lb-ft) respectively over the naturally-aspirated 2.7-liter flat-six it replaces on the outgoing model. When combined with the optional PDK dual-clutch transmission and the Sport Chrono package, the 718 Boxster sprints to 100km/h in 4.7 seconds, shaving 0.8 seconds from its predecessor, while topping out at 275km/h (171mph).

The 718 Boxster S gets the larger displacement 2.5-liter four featuring a turbocharger with a variable turbine geometry that’s rated at 350PS (345hp) and 420Nm (310 lb-ft) from 1,900 rpm to 4,500 rpm, offering an increase of 35hp and 60Nm (44 lb-ft) respectively over the 3.4-liter naturally-aspirated flat-six of the previous Boxster S. According to Porsche, when paired to the PDK transmission and the Sport Chrono kit, the 718 Boxster S hits 100km/h (62mph) in 4.2 seconds (0.6 seconds faster) and reaches a top speed of 285km/h (177mph). "
It looks like an MR2, 3rd gen i think

They might as well just have called it the 912.

Or are they planning a 4 pot 911 chassis?

I, for one, welcome cheaper Cayman with 4-banger turbo performance. Especially if it sounds reasonably good.

Shame they didn't move the regular Boxster engine to the S and turbocharge that, but I get why. Probably helps drive a bigger wedge between the 911 and Cayman too. Nice to see there is an engine difference between the regular on and the S instead of them just cranking the boost, though.

Back