Porsche 718 Boxster

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 168 comments
The BR-Z chassis would be perfect to make a modern 924 with that new Porsche engine.
*944. 924 was bit too much of a Volkswagen/Audi.. Also, isn't Porsches transaxle integrated with the motor?

Not sure about the transaxle.
The Macan and Cayenne are not unlike Q5/Tiguan and Q7/Touareg.
If the Panamera is as much FR as they want to go, then of course it won't happen. Just seems like a way to get something in under the Cayman and Boxster.

I really like the way the styling has progressed on the mid engined Porsches. They just marry aggressive with tasteful so perfectly.

The car in most of the pres shots doing the rounds looks stunning.

Quote a range of cars Porsche make now, but personally, I think there's plenty of room to take their pricing higher - a 991.2 S with the right options is well over £100k, so a top spec Caymen/Boxster could sit in the low £80's, leaving room for a smaller, purer, lighter car at c.&50k + options.

I really like the way the styling has progressed on the mid engined Porsches. They just marry aggressive with tasteful so perfectly.

The car in most of the pres shots doing the rounds looks stunning.

Quote a range of cars Porsche make now, but personally, I think there's plenty of room to take their pricing higher - a 991.2 S with the right options is well over £100k, so a top spec Caymen/Boxster could sit in the low £80's, leaving room for a smaller, purer, lighter car at c.&50k + options.
I'd agree with this sentiment, the car looks terrific.

This is an interesting point. I'm sure many people find the Boxster/Cayman range quite expensive, but I actually think they're quite good value for what you get. You get a practical, comfortable, and refined two seat car, which also happens to be a 300 bhp MR sports car which [I'm sure] drives impeccably. There's virtually no direct competition for it at or below £50k due to it being such a well rounded car. If they charged £20k more for them I suspect the reviews would actually be better than they are now, because people would begin to realise how uniquely good the cars are rather than taking them for granted as the entry level Porsche.

Is the Boxster/Cayman still the 'entry level' Porsche - or is the base Macan cheaper now?

Uummmm. Tenuous link you're trying to work on us there, Porsche. Neither resembles it in looks, concept or function.
It's a mid-engined, four-cylinder boxer sports car, so while I do agree that it's tenuous, it's not quite as tenuous as you're suggesting.

When is the media embargo or whatever expected to end? The car sounds awesome for a four banger.

The turbo flat four seems like a fantastic powertrain for the car, I'm interested to hear what the exhaust is like once it hits the streets. If they can make it anything not like Subaru's, that'd be great.

Sounds pretty ordinary if you ask me...

Perhaps I'll go pick up a 981 Cayman now and sell it ten years time when people begin to reminisce about the NA flat 6...

Sounds much better than I was expecting! Not nearly as much tractor as it can be with an H4.

Perhaps I'll go pick up a 981 Cayman now and sell it ten years time when people begin to reminisce about the NA flat 6...

I do have to wonder how the values are going to go with the early ones, and the more current units. Looks like early models are hitting the low end of the value curve, right around $10-15k with 70,000 miles... Newer ones with similar mileage seems to be all over the board. Long-term, assuming you keep the mileage down, could get interesting... Maybe not as good of an investment as the NSX, but, will probably do a good bit better than a comparative Corvette or Z4.

I like the sound. It's pretty distinctive. It's not a howl of NA sixbanger or vacuum-like hiss of most turbo motors but almost Veyron-like growl.

They should've just added the turbo 6 from the Carrera with a lesser tune, because from that recent video of the 4, that doesn't sound very special at all.

It sounds like half of the Corvette LM cars. Grouchy at all RPMs.

I can hardly wait for the Cayman version. Especially after Shark Werks gets their hands on it!

This is probably a better car than the 981 in all aspects except for one - the soundtrack.

It's... erm... unfortunate. But that's the price you have to pay for efficiency I guess.

I'd disregard efficiency and go for the howling 981 if I were in the market for a Boxster, that's for sure.

All we'll get now is objective improvements. Subjectivity is not on a manufacturer's list of priorities anymore.

I saw a VW Golf advert on Facebook yesterday, hyping up the sound of the R model. It was being taken through tunnels and was one of the most anodyne turbo 4 sounds I'd heard in a long time. Worst of all, it uses a sound generator, which commenters were saying played the RS3 five-pot at constant load and a V8 at high revs. How tragic.

718 Cayman unveiled

PM%2BXX_2.jpg

PM%2BXX_3.jpg

PM%2BXX_6.jpg

PM%2BXX_7.jpg
PM%2BXX_8.jpg
PM%2BXX_4.jpg

This is the first time the Cayman looks identical to the Boxster, the only difference being the fixed roof.

The Boxster/Cayman really are grown up cars now. As well as brilliant driving dynamics the interior quality really is fabulous.

They always look so much better in the metal than in pictures - lovely proportions.

I really look forward to the enhanced models too.

But the S is a sweet package at that price with 350hp. (This puts the TTRS into serious competition)

Back