Porsche 718 Boxster

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 168 comments
The Cayman GT4 RS has clocked as 7:09 lap around the Nordschlife.

Also, Porsche have released some press photos of the prototype car, with a bit less of a disguise than previously seen.

Seems like Porsche is actually keen to bring out the potential of the Cayman, rather than trying to continually nerf it so that it doesn't match up with the 911's various flavors. Also, dat 9k engine note. :drool:

Newest pictues of the GT4 RS before the official reveal

porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-final-spy-shots.jpg

Our spy photographers also noticed the plate number on the car, which displays S RS 982, indicating that this could be one of the press vehicles out to stretch its legs. However, one important detail spotted was a US-spec version of the Cayman GT4 RS with ceramic brakes. This is a confirmation that the new model will be arriving on US shores in time.

The 981/718 shape is just so meh it doesn't really matter what they do to it. I don't covet it in the slightest, whereas a 986/987 turns my eye almost instantly.

2022-porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs.jpg

2022-porsche-cayman-gt4-rs.jpg

The 4.0-liter flat-six is pulled straight from the Porsche 911 GT3, though in the mid-engine Cayman it only makes 493 horsepower (368 kilowatts). Torque checks in at 331 pound-feet (449 Newton-meters), also a bit less than the 911 GT3, but the engine still hits all the high notes with a 9,000-rpm naturally aspirated redline.

Porsche says the GT4 RS reaches 60 mph in 3.2 seconds – a half-second quicker than the GT4. It tops out at 196 mph

Porsche engineers managed to shave 49 pounds from the GT4 RS while still keeping it a street-friendly vehicle. As you might guess, carbon fiber comes into play with the front fenders and hood consisting of carbon fiber reinforced plastic. You'll also find lightweight glass for the rear window, lightweight doors, and the result is a 3,227-pound (1,464-kilogram) curb weight. Combined with the high-output engine, the 718 Cayman GT4 RS boasts a power-to-weight ratio of 6.5 pounds per hp.

It's only offered with the quick-shifting seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, funneling power to just the rear wheels through paddle shifters on the wheel or the stalk in the center console. The RS sits just over an inch lower with an adjustable track-focused suspension using revised dampers, springs, and sway bar rates. The components are connected to the body with ball joints for tighter precision, and for the first time on any Cayman, center-lock wheels are used.

Enhanced aero forces the GT4 RS to the pavement, with the swan-neck fixed rear wing being the obvious difference to the standard GT4. The underbody is optimized for better airflow, with a rear diffuser, an adjustable front diffuser, a front spoiler lip, and side blades contributing to the cause. Setup in racetrack-specific Performance mode, the GT4 RS offers 25 percent more downforce compared to the GT4.

Additional body tweaks include air intakes in place of side windows and revised side intakes, all designed for improved cooling. Add the optional Weissach Package and you'll get even more carbon fiber, among other things.

The 2022 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS reaches US dealerships next summer, checking in with a starting price of $141,700 plus a $1,350 delivery fee.

$20K cheaper than a GT3 & performance figures are pretty close, stat-wise. I am surprised this actually weighs more than a GT3 (3,164lbs vs. 3,227lbs). Lap times between these 2 should be interesting to see, though once you adopt the Weissach Package and whatever else, the price for performance between the 2 probably won't be much different.

Edit* Owners already sharing there will be a hefty wait list and silly ADM despite Andreas saying it won't be a limited production.

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised they've given it the full-on GT3 engine. I figured it would be a mildly tuned version of the current GT4's engine. Can't wait to hear a GT3 engine in an MR setup. Am I correct in that the standard GT4 has a normal throttle body and the GT4 RS will have ITBs? :drool:

The other interesting thing here is this will be the first Nat-Asp GT# car, I believe, since the 996.1 to not have a merged (more or less) central exhaust. I really like how the Cayman GTS 4.0 sounds with the separated pipes, so I'm anxious to hear the big boy motor in the same configuration. Or maybe it will sound basically the same as the GT3. :lol:

edit: it's a bit hard to glean all that much from this video, but it does appear to have a slightly flatter sound than the 911 GT3 which is more shrieky. It does remind me a bit of the 996.1 GT3. One thing is certain, the induction noise is freaking loud.

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised they've given it the full-on GT3 engine. I figured it would be a mildly tuned version of the current GT4's engine. Can't wait to hear a GT3 engine in an MR setup. Am I correct in that the standard GT4 has a normal throttle body and the GT4 RS will have ITBs? :drool:

The other interesting thing here is this will be the first Nat-Asp GT# car, I believe, since the 996.1 to not have a merged (more or less) central exhaust. I really like how the Cayman GTS 4.0 sounds with the separated pipes, so I'm anxious to hear the big boy motor in the same configuration. Or maybe it will sound basically the same as the GT3. :lol:

edit: it's a bit hard to glean all that much from this video, but it does appear to have a slightly flatter sound than the 911 GT3 which is more shrieky. It does remind me a bit of the 996.1 GT3. One thing is certain, the induction noise is freaking loud.

Andreas made a comment that GT4 RS will be more intake-oritented compared to the GT3 which is dominated by the exhaust, noting you're only 30cm from the intake duct so you will hear everything. I don't know if the RS has ITBs, he said the only thing they changed is the upper intake part b/c they had to turn around the throttle body.

The configurator is also live, and I really like these standard wheels.
cats.jpg

Last edited:
Andreas made a comment that GT4 RS will be more intake-oritented compared to the GT3 which is dominated by the exhaust, noting you're only 30cm from the intake duct so you will hear everything. I don't know if the RS has ITBs, he said the only thing they changed is the upper intake part b/c they had to turn around the throttle body.

The configurator is also live, and I really like these standard wheels.
cats.jpg
Per R&T:

The runners from those intakes actually pass through the cabin, just behind the seats, into a giant airbox that sticks out from the rear parcel shelf. The intake manifold itself is variable length, and as with the current 911 GT3, the GT4 RS has individual throttle bodies, though they are now vertical instead of horizontal.

Would love to see that motor. Wonder if they will make a special version later with a manual gearbox. Or...better yet, give the base GT4 (and the Spyder) the same engine (maybe 475hp) and offer a touring trim. This would differentiate it from the GTS 4.0 which looks like a lot better value at the moment vs the GT4.

Last edited:
Per R&T:

Would love to see that motor. Wonder if they will make a special version later with a manual gearbox. Or...better yet, give the base GT4 (and the Spyder) the same engine (maybe 475hp) and offer a touring trim. This would differentiate it from the GTS 4.0 which looks like a lot better value at the moment vs the GT4.
Ah, okay. The ITBs are coming from the GT3; completely missed that. :dunce: Only difference Andreas meant was turning the GT3's ITBs vertical.

Porsche money printing machine go brrrr

porsche-718-spyder-rs.jpg

porsche-718-spyder-rs.jpg

Porsche says it's not a carbon copy of the Cayman GT4 RS since the Spyder RS has different tuning for the springs and dampers to achieve a more comfortable ride to better fit the customer's expectations from a convertible

The Porsche 718 Spyder RS is available to order in Germany where it costs from €151,215. Yes, it will be offered to US buyers as well starting at $160,700 plus a $1,450 delivery fee.

I think they should have offered this one with a manual transmission, since nobody is using an unmodified Boxster as a dedicated track car. A manual transmission proper ratios, of course.

Last edited:
Big Oopf from me - I'm not the target demo here, too broke for it, and there will be no problem for the dealers to sell this car completely out with prerequisite purchases and markups, and it'll continue to sell at every auction from here to infinity. I get that. But goddamn that's an ugly ass car and a shame. The Cayman RS benefits from the gussied up racing doodads because it's purpose is to be the best track car on the platform, but in today's age of regulation a roadster ain't a race car and it should be free to be its own thing; specifically a beautiful thing, which Porsche is in short supply right now. They've already softened the suspension for 'customer expectations' - great, now ditch all the hellacious racerboy tacky embellishments and make it a manual. It could have been the halo product for engaging and beautiful. Swing and a miss.

I'm not sure I agree. It's quite pleasurable to drive a super hard-core track focused car with an open roof. Yes, you lose some chassis rigidity, but on the street that really doesn't matter.

Even a 100hp Miata set up for track is fun without a roof. Imagine being able to hear the flat 6 wail without the roof getting in the way. Same idea with F430 16M and 458 Speciale Aperta. Very enjoyable hard-core road car.

Back