Porsche 718 Boxster

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 168 comments
718 Cayman spotted with the 6 cylinder from the GT4, but strangely it doesn't have the GT4 body. This could possibly mean the normal 718 could be receiving the old 6 cylinder.

porsche-718-cayman-6-cylinder-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100692486_h.jpg

porsche-718-cayman-6-cylinder-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100692491_h.jpg

Note the exhaust is the same as the GT4 that was spotted a while ago

2019-porsche-718-cayman-gt4-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100663982_h.jpg

The automaker will add back a flat-6 for upcoming Boxster Spyder and Cayman GT4 models due later this year, but our latest spy shots suggest the regular Boxster and Cayman might feature the option as well.

The shots show a Cayman with the same exhaust tips featured on prototypes for the Cayman GT4, suggesting the same engine resides within. The engine is thought to be an uprated version of the 3.8-liter flat-6 fitted to the previous Cayman GT4.

The mystery Cayman is also devoid of the larger front intakes found on the Cayman GT4 prototypes, as well as the latter's rear spoiler. This suggests Porsche might be cooking up a slightly tamer version of the Cayman GT4 based on the regular Cayman, i.e. something to fill the wide gap between the Cayman GTS and Cayman GT4.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121616_6-cylinder-porsche-718-cayman-spy-shots

That would be very strange. A regular Cayman that sits between the GTS and the GT4 with a 3.8-liter flat-6 while all the 911 have a 3.0-liter flat-6?

Maybe the 992 GTS will get a 3.8 as well?

What would be the name, though?

718 Cayman GT?

or

718 Cayman Oh-You-Were-Upset-So-We'll-Put-Back-The-Flat-6?

I reckon it should just be GT4 Touring. I can imagine the production model featuring styling enhancements from the GT4 (with a retractable rear wing instead of a fixed one) with the interior quality and refinement of the GTS.

I keep seeing 718s on the road and they catch my eye, and this is a weird one, in a way that the 911 does not. I cannot explain it. I keep having this "oooh, an extra nice 911.... oh wait that's a cayman" experience.

I wonder if it's just me.

I keep seeing 718s on the road and they catch my eye, and this is a weird one, in a way that the 911 does not. I cannot explain it. I keep having this "oooh, an extra nice 911.... oh wait that's a cayman" experience.

I wonder if it's just me.

I think that the 718 has a nicer face than the 992 does. It looks more athletic. The bit below the headlamps is both simpler and more refined, but also more purposeful looking. Generally I find the 991/992 to be a little too pudgy looking.

I think that the 718 has a nicer face than the 992 does. It looks more athletic. The bit below the headlamps is both simpler and more refined, but also more purposeful looking. Generally I find the 991/992 to be a little too pudgy looking.

The 718 is a really striking car. I think porsche accidentally made it too nice for its price point.

Yeah, I can see that. The 718 looks more sporty and athletic, like a more compact Carrera GT. The 911 is looking more like a business man commuter/grand tourer type.

The 718 is a really striking car. I think porsche accidentally made it too nice for its price point.
The Chevrolet team could help them with that.

I've always seen the Boxster/Cayman as a car that feels like a mini-exotic in a way that the 911 doesn't...because the 911 is inexorably a 911. I mean, I am partial as a Boxster owner, but even still.

I've thought the Boxster an incredibly handsome car--all the way back to the 986--regardless of its price point. The Cayman loses me a bit, I will say; something about the roofline just isn't quite right. But the Boxster looks fantastic.

I've thought the Boxster an incredibly handsome car--all the way back to the 986--regardless of its price point. The Cayman loses me a bit, I will say; something about the roofline just isn't quite right. But the Boxster looks fantastic.
:bowdown:

You sir are conveying my thought about the 718 perfectly! But I need a Boxter with a hard top though because I don't like convertibles.

I wonder if the 718 will depreciate faster than the 981 due to the 4 cylinder powertrain. It used to bother me because I really like the beautiful sound of the flat 6. However, I get the feeling that the torque curve on the 718 is pretty addictive, especially when paired to the 6M (As an aside, I think DCT transmission are a magical fit for high-revving N/A engines, but almost redundant on turbo engines...you don't really need to shift, just pick a tall gear and ride that boost). I would really like to drive a 718. I'm sure they will drop into the $20k range in a few years, like all of their predecessors.

My biggest gripe with my 986 is the lack of low end torque (it's the 2.5 model, of course there is no torque) and an interior lacking a few convenience features....mainly cupholders. :lol: Other than that, every time I sit in it, looking out over the big, silver-faced central tachometer, searing-red leather and the curvaceous silver front wings beyond, and then seeing those wide flanks in the rear view mirror, so typical of an MR configuration...it still tricks me into thinking I'm in an exotic car. Boxsters are special, everyone should give one a go.

Last edited:

I think it's the fact that the front end is lower and the rear end is much much better in the 718. I think the side vent looks better too. The whole profile is better on the 718.

I have never liked the air intake before the rear wheels and the overall shape of the Boxter/Cayman from where the B-pillar starts (should be).

Bah, what an ugly Porsche. :yuck:

Impressive but ugly.

* Is my honest opinion which is going to bring me in trouble.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/porsche/electric-boxster-and-cayman-sports-car/

The next generation 718 Boxster and Cayman will be all electric. There'll also be an Audi TTE and a Lamborghini Uracco which will share parts with the new 718. Rimac will help produce it. First, there'll be an electric Macan before the 718. The 992.2 generation 911 will have hybrid models.

The replacements for the entry-level 718 Boxster and Cayman twins will be all-electric, underlining how serious Zuffenhausen is about jumping onboard the electric battlebus. Our intel suggests the following specs:

• Powertrain Twin electric motors, rear- or all-wheel drive
  • Output System total 400bhp
  • Chassis Aluminium monocoque
  • Due on sale 2023
The current, mostly four-cylinder 718 twins will have to soldier on until 2023 in their current, perhaps facelifted forms.

The company has already indicated that their successors will be electrified and CAR magazine's intel suggests that the e-sports cars will have to share componentry with the wider group, with an Audi TTE and the rebirth of the Lamborghini Uracco mooted.

Porsche’s investment in Rimac is a big deal for its future electrified cars. While the start-up has had little to do with the Taycan, the first project to come from Stuttgart’s Croatian venture will be the electric Macan then further development with the small sports car project.

The plan is still in its early stages, but engineers only have a few months left to present something to Porsche’s execs. Chief executive officer Oliver Blume has told CAR that the brand has 12 months to either ‘go right or go left’ with regards to the future of the sub-911 sports car.

Porsche execs understand that the time may come for a fully-electric 911, but they don’t want to go messing with a 70-year old icon just yet. Instead, the 992.2 mid-life facelift will include a hybrid option like the Panamera and Cayenne; the platform has been engineered to take an electrified powertrain ahead of time.

But the job of pioneering a fully electric Porsche sports car will fall to the 718 successor.

Lutz Meschke, deputy chairman of Porsche AG, said: ‘In the sports car segment we have to think about the pure electric car. With the 911 it will be a bit difficult, but for the 718 I think it could be a very good step for the future, on a completely new platform we can then discuss to share with other brands.’

Attachments

• Embargo_00_01_CET_16_January_2020_718_Boxster_GTS_4_0.jpg
    Embargo_00_01_CET_16_January_2020_718_Boxster_GTS_4_0.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Embargo_00_01_CET_16_January_2020_718_Cayman_GTS_ii.jpg
    Embargo_00_01_CET_16_January_2020_718_Cayman_GTS_ii.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Embargo_00_01_CET_16_January_2020_718_Boxster_GTS_4_0_ii.jpg
    Embargo_00_01_CET_16_January_2020_718_Boxster_GTS_4_0_ii.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/porsche/electric-boxster-and-cayman-sports-car/

The next generation 718 Boxster and Cayman will be all electric. There'll also be an Audi TTE and a Lamborghini Uracco which will share parts with the new 718. Rimac will help produce it. First, there'll be an electric Macan before the 718. The 992.2 generation 911 will have hybrid models.

Interesting. I know these cars are probably a few years away, but I can't help but wonder if Porsche is going too hard, too fast? The Taycan was well received, but I still don't think it has enough traction just yet, especially since we don't have the Taycan S and Base models yet. I also wonder how this might effect the Porsche's customer GT4 racing program, as it doesn't make much sense to have your electric sports car racing internationally with an ICE unit.

Granted, Porsche and VW definitely has people significantly smarter than me working for them, but as an observer, it seems like they might risk offering a few too many electric options at once before even fully cementing their first (and currently only) bespoke electric car, if that makes sense.

A pretty smart move, imo. I've always felt like Porsche's GTS models didn't really have enough on offer to separate themselves from the S models, especially in the case of the Cayman and Boxster. The engine swap gives the model a more distinct separation from the base models, especially since the Flat 4 seems to be the 718's weakest link, while also not completely invalidating the GT4 or Spyder.

Damn...really disappointed to see platform sharing coming to the Boxster/Cayman. Not gonna have too many truly unique cars much longer. (Edit: Might have read too much into the TTE & Urraco sharing parts)

I actually really want to drive a 718 with the turbo 4. My biggest issue with my 2.5 986 is that I really have to spank it to get it going fast (think GT86 but not quite as feeble). The 718 must have gobs of low end torque. The sound isn't as silky as the flat six, but it's got some interesting gruff at least. I have a feeling the 718 will become the red-headed stepchild of the post-2010 Porsche family...they're gonna be cheap in a few years. :cheers:

Back