• Thread starter Conza
  • 87 comments

Conza

Sports Caraholic
Premium
Australia
Melbourne
Conza_No1
I know this is going to sound insane to some, because virtually no one would deny, that the 991 911 is a fantastic every day sports, with super car speeds and, well German reliability, and some may even say style.

(please do at least scan the paragraphs below to avoid those manufacturers) But the engine is still in the wrong spot, people don't like people who drive Porsches, not really, and despite how within 35-45 years of engineering they've overcome the problem of high powered RR cars, I'm hoping there are some proper alternatives.

The person interested isn't myself, he's a friend of mine, and I told him save half his money and get a BMW M3 or M5, but he's had several (literally 7 or 8) BMWs all save two of which he's had problems with, most were serious (including an E46 M3) so these are off the list.

He doesn't think Mercedes do performance cars well, as soon as they get an AMG badge on them they will simply burn through your tires, without the badge they don't rival the 991 (?).

Volkswagen doesn't really make a high end sports car (Lamborghini = Super Car and not every day, R8 V10 probably isn't as good as the 991, other Audi's are boring, Volkswagen, Seat, and Skoda have nothing... Ducati don't make cars; have I missed anyone important?).

All Italian cars, except Pagani (and the aforementioned Lamborghini) are Fiats, and while excellent cars throughout the range, the Abarth 500 SS doesn't cut it some how :), the Alfas aren't powerful enough save the 8C which isn't good enough to drive (or available likely), Maserati's are 'kinda' good, except they are just over grown Ferraris, and Ferrari's aren't something a respectable businessman can drive to work every day in without worrying about the paintwork, even in a secured car park.

No such thing as a French sports car (Don't say RCZ).

Japan must have something? Nissan GT-R is out though, too 'boy-racer' he says, so good luck with the rest of them.

Who's left? Aston/Jaguar, they won't stack up in the reliability comparison, so even the DB9 and XKR-R/S whatever it is, won't do either.

So now you see my problem, I can't find anything, in the world, that is as good an everyday car as it is a sports car. Any alternatives once you've knocked those off in your head, that you think will be A. As reliable, B As good and everyday car, and C. As good a sports car - please post, and I'll collate them in this first post to avoid repeats (with strikes for the unsuccessful alternatives).

BMW M3, M5, any other BMW
Almost any Audi
Mercedes AMG, C Class, E Class, SLS
Nissan GT-R

Have I missed something here? I think this might be in the wrong section, mate.

What about, say, a Lotus Evora S?

Or perhaps a Porsche Cayman? It's not a 911, so it's still on the table yeah?

Sounds to me like he's set on the 991, and I don't blame him. It's his money after all and I'm not sure why you're trying to tell him how to spend it.

Why would he go downscale?

The Cayman (R at least) Is not really a downscale from the 991 Carrera in terms of performance. The base Cayman is a very, very competent sports car. Much faster than you could ever really use on the road unless you're completely irresponsible. As far as being a street car, it's comparable in almost every way to the Carrera.

And the Evora S is also not a huge downscale, it may be one, but not much of one. The Evora is really a nice car to be inside of too, if you've never been in one I would highly recommend it. I've had occasion to ride in one and sit in the driver's seat (but not actually drive) a couple times, and it's quite good. That wasn't even the S.

The Cayman (R at least) Is not really a downscale from the 991 Carrera in terms of performance. The base Cayman is a very, very competent sports car. Much faster than you could ever really use on the road unless you're completely irresponsible. As far as being a street car, it's comparable in almost every way to the Carrera.

And the Evora S is also not a huge downscale, it may be one, but not much of one. The Evora is really a nice car to be inside of too, if you've never been in one I would highly recommend it. I've had occasion to ride in one and sit in the driver's seat (but not actually drive) a couple times, and it's quite good. That wasn't even the S.

I agree on the Evora, I meant for the Cayman. If performance is not primary, than the Cayman will ALWAYS be lower than a 911.

"Probably" doesn't mean "isn't". R8 V10 should still be on the cards, and that would be my pick too, even over a 991. Comfortable, somewhat practicable, and quick, and it makes an awesome noise. What's not to like?

I'm confused as to why we'd be looking for an alternative to the 911 when it is pretty well-known that the 911 is probably the only answer. As much as some people may not like other Porsche owners, it more or less comes down to people who actually use their cars, or baby them like a collectible that can never be used. There is a local guy who uses his 996 to get groceries, has a bike rack on the roof, and drives it year-round. My respect for him and his car is pretty much as high as it can get.

Part of the problem here is that there aren't a wide variety of sports cars that are as flexible as the 911. The Evora 2+2 would probably be the closest out of everything, particularly in terms of price and performance. The only problem is that, it being a Lotus, things are a bit wishy washy when it comes to reliability despite Toyota bits and pieces. Its one of a handful of sports cars that have a competent suspension tune that is flexible, an engine and transmission that isn't difficult to work, and looks that certainly are unique compared to its competitors.

In North America, the best alternative would be the Chevrolet Corvette. At $49,995, the prices start in the basement with a decent bit of equipment. Small additions of comfort options, like the $8000 upgraded interior and $1800 magnetic suspension add a lot of livability to the vehicle that the 911 would also have. In its basic trim, with the 430 BHP LS3, the engine is fully capable of lumbering around just as much as bouncing off the rev limiter. The modified manual is easy to operate, although the six-speed automatic is hardly a slouch when it comes to making things work.

Thing is, the Corvette won't touch the build quality of the 911. With the standard car coming with a targa top configuration, you can't easily add a roof rack. Although there is ample space in the cargo area, it doesn't have "seats" like the Porsche. And of course, you can't get AWD in the Corvette... If that is a weather requirement.

I don't really know. I guess that, since you're down in Australia, options are severely limited. If I were looking for a capable coupe that has plenty of space in the boot, seats for four, and the reliability of a wood-burning stove, I'd start digging around for late-model Holden Monaros. Granted, they won't seem as "cool" to those of you who have had them, but here in the 'States, I'd opt for one right away.

But the engine is still in the wrong spot

Because Jeremy "actually-knows-nothing" Clarkson said so or because you have some sort of substantiation?

I told him save half his money and get a BMW M3
Because people who don't like Porsche drivers, do like M3 drivers? :odd:

R8 V10 probably isn't as good as the 991
EVO magazine beg to differ (although it was the V8).

Ferrari's aren't something a respectable businessman can drive to work every day in without worrying about the paintwork, even in a secured car park.
Sounds like he can't really afford it if that is a concern anyway.

Based on reviews of the 991, he should save his money, you are correct....
...and buy the more 911, 911, the last version of either the 997 Turbo or 997 C2.

BMW 1M would be my choise if it had to be a daily..

BMW-1M-coupe-test.jpg

Because Jeremy "actually-knows-nothing" Clarkson said so or because you have some sort of substantiation?

You're kidding aren't you? Despite the traction benefit, RRs at all renown for disgustingly bag oversteer, shoo generally speaking one of the worlds most well known motoring journalist happens to be correct, what a coincidence...

Because people who don't like Porsche drivers, do like M3 drivers? :odd:

EVO magazine beg to differ (although it was the V8).

Sounds like he can't really afford it if that is a concern anyway.
Wrong, again. He's previously owned a 996, & an M3, & a very large company, so he'll be fine.
Based on reviews of the 991, he should save his money, you are correct....
...and buy the more 911, 911, the last version of either the 997 Turbo or 997 C2.

The rest isn't even worth responding too.

EDIT: Sent with Android Phone, which is why it says "disgustingly bag oversteer, shoo", bad* though*

Last edited:
You're kidding aren't you? Despite the traction benefit, RRs at all renown for disgustingly bag oversteer, shoo generally speaking one of the worlds most well known motoring journalist happens to be correct, what a coincidence...

That's a pretty outdated view of it.

Have you ever driven a porsche since 1995???
They don't kill uneducated drivers anymore as long as the Esp stays on.
The engine placement is quite good, I only agree with Clarkson on the engine placement of the Alpine's.
Porsche are like having a scalpel cutting up roads, such precision.
Your point...
your_argument_is_invalid_zaaap_6.jpg

your-argument-is-invalid-meme-collection-1mut.com-25.jpg

Well known =/= respectable.

And the snap oversteer thing was pretty much cured with the 996, let alone the two generations and 15 years that have followed.

If you're brutally honest, sticking out the ass is the wrong place for an engine. But Porsche have spent nine million years making it work. The 930 was the last "widowmaker" 911 and each successive generation has got better and faster. And better.

A modern 911 is no more "disgustingly bag" at oversteer than any other RWD car with a kajillion horsepower - you still have to act like a colossal wang to do it wrong, even in the wet.

I'll have an Aston Martin V12 Vantage, thanks. And anyone who says that "won't stack up in the reliability comparison" has been huffing the same stuff the guy who says the 911 snap oversteers toked on.

Guys, it's so obvious:

2011-vantage-s.jpg

2011-vantage-s-rear.jpg

Aston%2BMartin%2BV8%2BVantage%2BS%2BInterior%2Bview.jpg

Aston Martin V8 Vantage S.

One of the most beautiful cars you can buy, great sound, great handling and good performance. The 991 is a little faster, but who cares? A daily driver in Australia doesn't need to squeeze out the last tenth of a second on a race track, does it? It's a rare beauty with a great interior and a lot of style.
And the Aston is absolutely reliable! Look around the net, you won't find many problems with that car!

Depending on the budget you can also go for a (used) V8 Vantage, the Virage, DBS, V12 Vantage etc

Once you get a Aston Martin, you'll never look back!

Edit: Listen to Famine, AM is the way to go ;-)

This video seems to be inline with what most of your are saying (including the vulgar person from Luxemburg) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3B4rPOmWg

So with ESP, the car's electronics make it look like its virtually impossible to snap oversteer, but without it, even a 997 it can be done - would anyone turn it off? Probably not, and maybe I have to drive it 'in real life' not just GT5, but from all of the cars I have driven in rl (admittedly, all FRs and FFs), FRs would have to be more fun. No?

Also, that Aston does look shockingly gorgeous, I wonder if they still fall apart (on the inside) these days?

Also, that Aston does look shockingly gorgeous, I wonder if they still fall apart (on the inside) these days?

Well, no.

Aston+Martin+V8+Vantage+Interior+Has+Very+Effective+Charging+System-2.jpg

I mean look at it. It doesn't get much better than that, forget the problems of the 80's. Again, googlr it for yourself, the AMV8 Vantage is reliable, solid engineering and quality interior. Maintenace costs are quite high though, the dealers charge a lot for service. It's pretty much Porsche x2 around here, the small service is at least 1500 EUR, the big one 3500+ EUR. But hey, you're driving an Aston ;-)

A daily driver in Australia doesn't need to squeeze out the last tenth of a second on a race track, does it?

Any built up area here doesn't require anything more than 100hp.

With that in mind, if this is a daily driver this dude could pretty much just pick something super-stylish and new with a warranty. What 991 is he actually looking at anyway? More importantly, how much is he willing to spend?

Of all the listed Benzes, you've missed the SL Class, which in my opinion, is the closest competitor (by Mercedes) to the Porsche 911. With the new R321 SL63, you get ~540HP and a 0-100km/h in 4.3s.

Though if we're talking about "respectable/professional business men", in all honesty, I find nothing professional about Prosches/sports cars in general. A truly professional business owner would be seen driving an S-Class.

Just my opinion 👍.

Back