Porsche 911 alternatives

• Thread starter Conza
  • 87 comments
Because, no snap oversteer:
dacia-sandero1.jpg

R8 V10. It's got 10 cylinders. 10! And the noise is just spectacular, plus it's considerably quicker, and as far as I know, there isn't a stereotype about R8 drivers.

Since Famine & the rest have nailed the 991 rubbish, I'll speak on 2 notes.

1: The Gallardo is capable of every day driving, much like the F430 was & 458. These are not the Italian cars of the 90's & beforehand, they can be driven without fault. In Lamborghini's case, Audi's involvement is a major reason why the Gallardo is so useable.

2: Maserati's are far from being "over grown" Ferrari's. Anyone who has had time to study & look deep within' Ferrari's drive-research & quality-control can tell that Maserati (while still a fabulous alternative to a Porsche, imo) is not some mass-produced redhead. Ferrari go above & beyond with most of their cars & it isn't until something like the GranTurismo MC Sport comes along that some Ferrari magic finally drips down into the brand.
The RUF RT-12 or RGT-8 is better than the 911.

(Bear in mind that RUF is a manufacturer)
You're also speaking of cars that spark well over $250,000 new. Used RT-12s aren't even under $225,000 on the current market.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the stupider this thread becomes. If the OP's rich friend is gonna use a 911 as a daily driver, why do you care where the engine is. Porsche is one of the most winningest Make in motorsports, so I'm sure they know how to make cars. Second, why does the OP's friend care about the stereotypes around driving a Porsche. Sounds like a insecure person to me. Tell him to get the car he likes the most, I'm sure he is a big boy and doesn't need a bunch of internet personalities telling what to get.

The more I think about it, the stupider this thread becomes. If the OP's rich friend is gonna use a 911 as a daily driver, why do you care where the engine is. Porsche is one of the most winningest Make in motorsports, so I'm sure they know how to make cars. Second, why does the OP's friend care about the stereotypes around driving a Porsche. Sounds like a insecure person to me. Tell him to get the car he likes the most, I'm sure he is a big boy and doesn't need a bunch of internet personalities telling what to get.

Hmm, the thread is really about 'really, there isn't anything else but a Porsche for a daily drivable sports car in that bracket?', I'm just looking for alternatives mostly out of interest, I might ask him what he thinks of a few, but in the end if he wants a Porsche that's what he's going to get, no skin off my back, its just irritating to think its the only option.

Any built up area here doesn't require anything more than 100hp.

With that in mind, if this is a daily driver this dude could pretty much just pick something super-stylish and new with a warranty. What 991 is he actually looking at anyway? More importantly, how much is he willing to spend?

He doesn't like the Turbo or the 4S, or GT2/3 cars, but otherwise 911 Carrera / S basically. The price difference is $50,000 more just for the S version (however, apparently when you look at the options list, you can eat into that $50k because the S comes with several things standard, so it might only $20-25k+ on the price of the car you'd spec anyway).

2: Maserati's are far from being "over grown" Ferrari's. Anyone who has had time to study & look deep within' Ferrari's drive-research & quality-control can tell that Maserati (while still a fabulous alternative to a Porsche, imo) is not some mass-produced redhead. Ferrari go above & beyond with most of their cars & it isn't until something like the GranTurismo MC Sport comes along that some Ferrari magic finally drips down into the brand.

If you know of the history of Maserati, I couldn't see how you'd disagree with the point, modern Maseratis are basically overgrown, watered down Ferraris - and that's a discrace.

The Maserati Bora, Merak, Khamsin, Ghibli, these are Maseratis, the 3200GT no, MC12 no, Bi-Turbo, no, they aren't beautiful, and they aren't made by a seperate company, today Maserati's are meant to fill the gap between Alfa Romeo and Ferrari because they are all owned by Fiat, so they can do that, but I wish they'd atleast make a Maserati version of the 458 (even if it only has 6 cylinders like a modern Merak, or is a bit more luxury like a Bora), they'd atleast be much closer to a proper Maserati, than the assasin fat man Quattroporte car, or that big bulky *looks up to remember name* GranTurismo, I don't care if it looks good (don't say the fat man Quattroporte car does, thats hideous), its too slow for a Maserati, and its a big shame that the brand doesn't do what it originally did in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

If you know of the history of Maserati, I couldn't see how you'd disagree with the point, modern Maseratis are basically overgrown, watered down Ferraris - and that's a discrace.
Have you looked beyond the general stats of a modern Maserati? Besides some technology & engine parts being shared, the cars do not feel like modern Ferrari's, thus, they are not "watered down". As far as I've read, the GT MC-Sport is finally the first modern Maserati that has been praised for its terrific driving feeling, similar to a 430S.
The Maserati Bora, Merak, Khamsin, Ghibli, these are Maseratis, the 3200GT no, MC12 no, Bi-Turbo, no, they aren't beautiful, and they aren't made by a seperate company, today Maserati's are meant to fill the gap between Alfa Romeo and Ferrari because they are all owned by Fiat
Let's start with the first statement about the looks; that's all opinion & one could easily see any of the first 4 you just listed off as hideous.

2nd off, the Bi-Turbo was made during DeTomaso's era, not Fiat's.

Thirdly, Maserati has never been made to feel the gap. They were bought by Ferrari to be their luxury division, which is exactly why Maserati has a sedan & an upcoming SUV. Maserati's purpose is to bring in extra money to Ferrari.
so they can do that, but I wish they'd atleast make a Maserati version of the 458 (even if it only has 6 cylinders like a modern Merak, or is a bit more luxury like a Bora), they'd atleast be much closer to a proper Maserati, than the assasin fat man Quattroporte car, or that big bulky *looks up to remember name* GranTurismo, I don't care if it looks good (don't say the fat man Quattroporte car does, thats hideous), its too slow for a Maserati, and its a big shame that the brand doesn't do what it originally did in the 50s, 60s and 70s.
All you just spewed out is nothing more than opinion & has nothing to do with proving that Maserati's are "watered-down" Ferrari's. There will be no Maserati version of the 458 for the same reason the MC12 produced less power than the Enzo.

Too slow for a Maserati? How fast is a Maserati supposed to be then because the new ones blitz whatever the company did before Ferrari got a hold of them.

Maserati didn't even do in the 70's what it did in the 60's. Everything became mass produced & new models were introduced, and the company changed hands a couple times. Ferrari saved the company.

Porsche is the ONLY manufactor of expencive sports cars that atracts mostly nice people i know this because my dad owns 1 and he is in a club, almost every member ( all 300 orso ) knows my name and likes my utube video's also every 911 up-to-date drives awsome and lets you feel alive!! so dont say porsches are wrong or bad or what so ever! if you NEVER have been in 1 then just STFU about them!

WTFnews
Porsche is the ONLY manufactor of expencive sports cars that atracts mostly nice people i know this because my dad owns 1 and he is in a club, almost every member ( all 300 orso ) knows my name and likes my utube video's also every 911 up-to-date drives awsome and lets you feel alive!! so dont say porsches are wrong or bad or what so ever! if you NEVER have been in 1 then just STFU about them!

r..rage much?

Porsche is the ONLY manufactor of expencive sports cars that atracts mostly nice people.... so dont say porsches are wrong or bad or what so ever! if you NEVER have been in 1 then just STFU about them!

Nice.

I race a Porsche; it's not expensive or fast.

WTFnews

Rage extreme. No I won't stfu, because i have been in one. As a boy my father owned a 996, and he liked it fine, but he sold it for a long during of BMWs. Also Porsche drivers of the western world aren't as nice as you claim your club members are, but ultimately this is a thread about the alternatives to 911s, not why they are good our bad, just what else there is.

The answer to that is pretty simple. Any semi-luxorious 2 door car that costs more than 60k that isn't available with a folding hardtop.

The snap oversteer "issue" is nothing to do with the cars engineering but with the drivers lack of knowledge in how to handle such a car. Example:

You go into a bend a bit too fast and the rear starts to slip. Regular car you can lift to let weight transfer and regain rear grip (which is sometimes too harsh of a transfer and ends in a tank slapper). In a 911 you actually power through to save the car, almost as if you wanted to drift. If you lift weight transfers to the front and engine braking will make sure the rear will snap. And if you want to make sure youre doing it wrong you can even get on the brakes after lifting.

Someone who knows how to handle a 911 can use it to incredible precision. Like lifting mid corner to get the liftoversteer to rotate the car better and straightening with throttle. I think the 911 suffers from the same problems rotary powered cars suffer from. People who have no clue how to handle them and then make a big fuss about them.

Forget the 991.

zoom.jpg

Case closed. Although I would prefer a GT3.

i'm sorry for my last message here, i was kind of angry cuz of something and i saw this tread and well to keep it short, i lost myself, so i'm sorry for that message.

To make it easy on your friend, forget about anybody else and do it the right way :)
Buy yourself THE best Porsche ever build, the 993 Turbo, save him some money, its better looking then the latest models and its bloody fast

The snap oversteer "issue" is nothing to do with the cars engineering but with the drivers lack of knowledge in how to handle such a car. Example:

You go into a bend a bit too fast and the rear starts to slip. Regular car you can lift to let weight transfer and regain rear grip (which is sometimes too harsh of a transfer and ends in a tank slapper). In a 911 you actually power through to save the car, almost as if you wanted to drift. If you lift weight transfers to the front and engine braking will make sure the rear will snap. And if you want to make sure youre doing it wrong you can even get on the brakes after lifting.

Someone who knows how to handle a 911 can use it to incredible precision. Like lifting mid corner to get the liftoversteer to rotate the car better and straightening with throttle. I think the 911 suffers from the same problems rotary powered cars suffer from. People who have no clue how to handle them and then make a big fuss about them.

A 911 doesn't tend to slip first at the rear when you take a bend too fast, rather the opposite, the 911 fundamentally understeers on the limit (remember it has bugger all load at the front anyway which is also why you get the very characteristic front end 'bob'.

Its when people lift to try and correct for that understeer that all the load move forward and the rear snaps into oversteer, often very quickly and in a very hard to catch manner.

To be honest I'd go with the GT-R. Read the 991 Turbo vs GT-R at motortrend

Why any would pay $70,000 for a name/brand is beyond me. Especially when both cars are virtually the same when you look at the numbers performance wise. As well as both having an AWD system and twin turbo six cylinder engines. Both look amazing in person, but to spend that much more for another is asinine

Well, a GT-R is a Nissan. No matter how much power it puts down. It will never get the same status as a Porsche. How ridiculous it may sound.

And a flat 6 going flat out, with or without turbo, is one of the best automotive sounds there is.

Well, a GT-R is a Nissan. No matter how much power it puts down. It will never get the same status as a Porsche. How ridiculous it may sound.

And a flat 6 going flat out, with or without turbo, is one of the best automotive sounds there is.

I don't disagree it's amazing in sound, just not 70K usd worth. Also I live in this modern era (not saying you don't) and to be honest, I live sensible not irrational. I'd love to own both but if I had to pick, it'd be the more rational of the two.

A 911 doesn't tend to slip first at the rear when you take a bend too fast, rather the opposite, the 911 fundamentally understeers on the limit (remember it has bugger all load at the front anyway which is also why you get the very characteristic front end 'bob'.

Its when people lift to try and correct for that understeer that all the load move forward and the rear snaps into oversteer, often very quickly and in a very hard to catch manner.

:odd: That is very incorrect.

LMSCorvetteGT2
To be honest I'd go with the GT-R. Read the 991 Turbo vs GT-R at motortrend

Why any would pay $70,000 for a name/brand is beyond me. Especially when both cars are virtually the same when you look at the numbers performance wise. As well as both having an AWD system and twin turbo six cylinder engines. Both look amazing in person, but to spend that much more for another is asinine

But does it have the fun of power sliding and smoking the tires like a Rear-Wheel drive? The sound?

To make it easy on your friend, forget about anybody else and do it the right way :)
Buy yourself THE best Porsche ever build, the 993 Turbo, save him some money, its better looking then the latest models and its bloody fast

Any Porsche before a 99 '6' imo, is a death trap, hell turn the safety controls off in the 996, 997 or 991 and despite the better airbags, and what not, if you're travelling fast enough you'll still die.

But the 993 doesn't even have that luxury, so I think it'd be an insane buy.

Back