Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
Please tell me, what is so special about a 996.1 GT3, besides being a GT3?

I found a few for sale over here and they are not that expensive. Going from €67,000 - €79,000.
From what I've heard they're much more hardcore than later GT3s but I could be wrong.

I couldn't agree more. My local Porsche dealer has a 997.1 GT3 for sale in Carrara White for a surprisingly low USD $85,000. For even less here are the 996.2 GT3s (U.S. never got the first gen, which I imagine would be even less with the "Boxster bumper") and they all come with a manual, none of that PDK stuff.* :lol:

*There is nothing wrong with PDK, but if I had to choose...
At $85,000, I'm betting it's been used a lot. $100,000 is bottom of the barrel right now for the majority of 997.1s and all those cars are 30,000 miles or more. For the 996, $100,000 is probably as good as it gets. $80-90,000 appears the majority of the market.

The 997 RS cars though, are all roughly worth $170-$190,000 regardless of .1 or .2. Though for some reason, there's 2 Signal Greens available asking $300,000.

Please tell me, what is so special about a 996.1 GT3, besides being a GT3?

I found a few for sale over here and they are not that expensive. Going from €67,000 - €79,000.

@Beeblebrox237 is correct, well at least from what every magazine and enthusiasts out there say, 996 GT3 is more "raw" than the later GT3s. The 996 version will always suffer a bit because of the much maligned headlights, but they've already passed the bottom of the depreciation curve and they are steadily on the rise.

Either way, I still wouldn't mind having a go in any GT3.

Met up with some other Porsche owners yesterday morning to go to a small local car show... 24 911's of various vintages, plus a Boxster.

S5QDStp.jpg

Though for some reason, there's 2 Signal Greens available asking $300,000.

Viper cars are stupid prices in all markets... roughly double any other colour :lol:

Met up with some other Porsche owners yesterday morning to go to a small local car show... 24 911's of various vintages, plus a Boxster.
Viper cars are stupid prices in all markets... roughly double any other colour :lol:
Are there breakdowns for the production run? Surely the number of rarer colors isn't enough to justify such godly prices.

Are there breakdowns for the production run? Surely the number of rarer colors isn't enough to justify such godly prices.

Well, I'm going to have to go back on what I said... haven't looked at 997RS's for a while, and a quick check on PH classified shows a green and 2 orange cars at sub £120k - the most expensive is a black car at £140k.

Looking at that, 997.1RS's have softened quite a bit - they were £150k 18 months ago. 997.2RS's are still £170k, but the .2 RS is supposedly a much bigger step up from the .2GT3 than the .1RS is vs the .1GTS... IIRC, most magazines rated the .2GT3 a better car than the .1RS.

Still crazy money :lol:

At $85,000, I'm betting it's been used a lot. $100,000 is bottom of the barrel right now for the majority of 997.1s and all those cars are 30,000 miles or more.
Yeah, must have been used hard, despite a relatively low 28,000 miles. My mistake, the price is $87,400 (still low), even has the carbon ceramic brakes. Lacking details in the listing though, but I'm tempted to walk over on my lunch break. Something about the lack of tow hook cover suggest track use, but looks like in good shape otherwise.

https://hoffmanporsche.com/inventor...rtford+Connecticut+2007+Carrara+White+1402259
thumbnail.php

I think I'd be more surprised to come across a GT3 that hadn't been tracked. As long as there's a history to the car and they've looked after it properly then it should be okay. If not, well that could account for the price.

I think I'd be more surprised to come across a GT3 that hadn't been tracked. As long as there's a history to the car and they've looked after it properly then it should be okay. If not, well that could account for the price.

Agreed.

Track cars are typically well maintained, so I wouldn't worry massively if it had a solid history (ie; a big file of bills!).

Don't forget a pretty much stock (other than spring/dampers & safety equipment) 997 RS came 13th at the Nurb 24h race some years back.

These cars are built to take the abuse.

Don't forget a pretty much stock (other than spring/dampers & safety equipment) 997 RS came 13th at the Nurb 24h race some years back.
I didn't know that, but that's pretty amazing. Apparently they replaced the front brakes during the race (as they planned to) but otherwise they only changed tyres and refuelled it, and afterwards Porsche inspected it and found that it was still in perfect working order.

I didn't know that, but that's pretty amazing. Apparently they replaced the front brakes during the race (as they planned to) but otherwise they only changed tyres and refuelled it, and afterwards Porsche inspected it and found that it was still in perfect working order.

Chris Harris (motoring journalist, and part time race driver) was one of the team.

I think he said that other than safety upgrades (proper cage, no interior), they only changed springs/dampers/ARB's to account for the car running slicks instead of cups. They stuck some road wheels/tyres on it, and drove it back to the Porsche factory after the race.

It's stories like this that fuel my passion for Porsche.

It's stories like this that fuel my passion for Porsche.
Although not as intense as a 24 hour race, this story reminded me of Jeff Zwart driving a near stock (had added fire suppression system, racing seat and wheel) 997 GT2 RS 1,132 miles from California to Colorado to compete in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. He ended up setting a time 24 seconds faster than his GT3 Cup car from the previous year, setting the class record for 2WD Time Attack cars at the time.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motors...ly-climbs-a-mountain-in-a-porsche-911-gt2-rs/

There are stories like this throughout Porsche history that I love reading about.

Although not as intense as a 24 hour race, this story reminded me of Jeff Zwart driving a near stock (had added fire suppression system, racing seat and wheel) 997 GT2 RS 1,132 miles from California to Colorado to compete in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. He ended up setting a time 24 seconds faster than his GT3 Cup car from the previous year, setting the class record for 2WD Time Attack cars at the time.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motors...ly-climbs-a-mountain-in-a-porsche-911-gt2-rs/

There are stories like this throughout Porsche history that I love reading about.

Wonderful, and yet another example of the long and authentic history of Porsche.

I remember seeing the on board of Jeff’s Cup Car record at Pikes Peak. Awesome footage. Will be looking for footage of his 2RS lap on YouTube tomorrow!

Thanks for posting that article :cheers:

It is a great advert... but it neglects to include the multiple thousand Euro bill you get every time you go within 10km of an OPC.

;)

Not when you go to an independant Porsche dealer. Their prices are "democratic" and you still keep the warranty. At least they say so.

A GT3 convertible by any other name.

Looks very good though (without the graphics) - especially that interior. Very limited numbers... these will be £400-500k on the open market.

Not to come across as rude, but why is everyone so fixated on the prices/depreciation/appreciation of Porsches as soon as they come out?

Not to come across as rude, but why is everyone so fixated on the prices/depreciation/appreciation of Porsches as soon as they come out?
Dunno, I suppose it's because Porsche prices have gone way up on the used market these days and it's hard to talk about the unique/ special edition models without thinking about how crazy the value will be.

When there are 20+ year old 911s selling in the millions today, it's interesting to think about where these 991s will be valued at someday, too.

Is the Speedster available for the common buyer? Is it out yet?
No, it appears to be a concept only at this point, but Porsche does claim to be developing one along with a Sport Classic. My guess is they will make them as a sendoff for the 991 before the 992 comes along.

Dunno, I suppose it's because Porsche prices have gone way up on the used market these days and it's hard to talk about the unique/ special edition models without thinking about how crazy the value will be.

When there are 20+ year old 911s selling in the millions today, it's interesting to think about where these 991s will be valued at someday, too.
I always knew there was a reason why Porsche Unleashed had a buying-and-selling-used-cars mechanic, which multipled the prices by about three or more for every car when you got into the endgame...

...The PC version anyway, no idea about PS1

Fair dos. I do actually find it kind of interesting just how quickly they do spike in price, even moreso than things like limited run Ferraris and the like.

Is the Speedster available for the common buyer? Is it out yet?
Limited to 1948 units, should be available around $200-250K with an optional Heritage package for $23-25K. Not known what will make production, though a lot of doubt around the things that stand out such as the mirrors, glass logo between the seats, and the hood pins.

Production car could be shown at Paris.

Back