Porsche 991 Information Released

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Tornado, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Tornado

Tornado

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Linky (Including More Pictures).

I like the new design, though I'm not quite sure I like the new tailights. They look nice from the side and 3/4 shots, but from dead-on they look pretty weird.

2. JJ72

JJ72

Still saving up for my 993, dunno when can I afford one of these. Love the rear end.

3. Leonidae@MFT

[email protected] Premium

So, more integrated DRL's and narrower taillights separate it visually from the previous generation..

4. eSZee

eSZee

Looks longer and has a bit of Panamera look to it. Not sure I like it but I'll wait to see one on person.

5. Crispy

Crispy

Hmm, may bring the price down on the 997. Although I'd be confused which is which.

6. Dan_

Dan_ Premium

Those thinner tailights won me over, I like it.

7. Robin

Robin Premium

I also like what they have been doing with the rear lights over the past few models, its all very Audi inspired. However I don't like all the cluttered lettering on the rear, either have Porsche or the name... not both! The Panamera started all that nonsense off.

As for the rest of it... yeah thats what a Porsche looks like so they did their job! :lol:

8. JCE

JCE

Looks brilliant actually, I love it. My only gripe...is it really necessary to put "Porsche" on the rear decklid?

9. ND4SPD

ND4SPD Premium

Dat ass.

10. keldabest13

keldabest13

Looks fast! :sly:

11. gogatrs

gogatrs

So what will they use for their GT race car?
    The 997 GT3 RS 4.0? Or the 991?

The shape of the car from the side looks like they took the image and stretched it.
    Not sure I like that. But OMG that rear end is absolutely gorgeous.

12. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

Looks good. But then it's a 911 and it hasn't changed much, so that's a given.

The biggest change is obviously the interior and it seems to work well. If it's the same quality jump over the 997 as the current Cayenne was to the previous one then it'll feel pretty nice too, but it's still very obviously a 911 interior, clear and simple.

Will be interesting to see what treatment the interior is given on future GT3 models.

13. Jay

Jay Premium

I see some Panamera and I am not sure if I like it, overall It's ok, I want to see what they do with the Turbo and GT2/3 (yes, yes a long way off)

14. C-ZETA

C-ZETA Premium

Wait a minute...

Isn't that the same model as the last one? :confused: I mean, it still looks the same... :confused: [/sarcasm]

Porsche needs to try a new style of looks. Granted, it doesn't look bad even now but seeing an actually more changed look on a 911 wouldn't hurt in today's world. Mind you, it would probably still accelerate like a boss, so why should I be complaining? :indiff:

15. Stotty

Stotty Premium

I really love the new shape, and for me, this is the nicest 911 shape since the 964. The interior is stunning (though not in that hiddeous beige colour!).

I'm not so in love with those wheels though... a bit too fussy for my taste. I'd also lose the 'Porsche' script from the read lid... and then have the '911 Carerra' moved to a more suitable position... this is easy enough to do.

GT3 cars will continue to be 997 based for the immediate future as the 991 won't have any of the essential parts homologated yet.

16. Timppaq

Timppaq Premium

17. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Detailing isn't hugely different from the 997, but the lower, wider stance and extended wheelbase really works visually. With the bigger wheels too it looks like a design concept of the 997 made real. Can't wait to see the GT3 version.

18. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

The whole stance and shape of this car is so, so pretty. The side-view picture is drop-dead gorgeous!

19. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

I love this.

20. Hugo Boss

Hugo Boss Staff Emeritus

Mixed feelings here. Love the new rear (without the script), but cannot recognize it as a 911 from the front :confused: The wider track at the front may improve the handling, it also killed some of the typical 911 curvatures. Might have to see it in person first...

Loving this photo:

[​IMG]

21. Robin

Robin Premium

At least someone had the sense to remove all the junk lettering from the rear, looks much better in that pic :tup:

22. CCXRacer

CCXRacer

I've seen a lot of people (mostly on other websites) saying they should change the design, why? 911s have always been that layout and body shape, and they always should IMO.

23. Moglet

Moglet Premium

I love it. The shape is still recognisable but the back end especially has been improved heaps. The way the rear lights are indented smoothly looks awesome.

24. TVC

TVC

They are making a 991 Cup car.

25. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Why would they use the RS 4.0 when that car is already supposed to be "built" from their racecars to begin with? (The car shares the block, crankshaft & rods from the RSR)

26. Stotty

Stotty Premium

GT race cars will continue to be 997 based until the 991 GT3 comes out in a couple of years time.

27. aadil717

aadil717

I don't even see how this is a new car..? To me it's just a facelift as the body of the car looks the exact same..I mean even if the engines are different it should just be a facelift. I don't get how this is an all NEW model if parts of this car still appear to be from the old one.
    Don't get me wrong the car looks great, but I think it's rather classified as a "facelift" instead of an all new model.

28. sar593

sar593

I get your point, but not only the engine has change, the dimensions of the car also have changed. Now it is a bit larger, with larger wheel base, wider, lower...so it is new chassis.

To me the car looks great, but I would change the headlights to the 997 ones

29. Tornado

Tornado

Well then, its a good thing the 991 shares no parts with the 997 then, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

30. aadil717

aadil717

Seriously though, to me, the car looks exactly the same to be honest. I can see it's wider, and understand that it's a whole new car underneath, I just feel they should have went a bit more out there in terms of designing the car.
    Like in TopGear - Jeremy Clarkson used to say "Porsche are the laziest designers in the world."
    I used to totally disagree and could tell the difference between the 996 and 997 and still think the 997 is amazing. But with this new model I'm starting to side with the TV idiot.

Care to share the marketing tosh about what is new with this car?
    Just seems like this car shares characteristics with the Carrera GTS underneath which is wider than the normal 997s, also isn't the Carrera S using the same engine as before? The gearbox is from the old car too.
    Aero drag is the same number so the new design hasn't really affected the car greatly, I understand it's suspension and handling been improved though.
    The interior is supposed to be all new but it doesn't really look like much has changed.

This is just my opinion and I respect everyone elses. I just want to know what really has changed in the new one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    Latvija27 likes this.