Porsche Cayman GT4 2016

Wait a year or so and then see where they are.

This is far from an adequate sample size, but there is 1 Cayman R on ebay for $53k buy it now with 40,000 miles. For comparison, the as-new base MSRP in 2012 was $67,000. The one on ebay was likely $75k or more due to its options. Nearly $25,000 in 3 years is a pretty big hit. Hopefully (for me anyways) the GT4 will take a similar dive.
Unfortunately, I find the first generation Cayman far too ugly to ever consider.
It took a large hit because 40,500 miles on a 3 year old Cayman R is a lot. On the other end of the spectrum, is a 2012 with 13,300 miles retailing for $90,000 on DuPont. Considering they only built 563 Rs for the US market (624 for the N. American marker) & there's almost literally zero on the market, they will retain their value due to their rarity.

With the Cayman GT4 being touted as the last great manual Porsche & reportedly limited to 2500 units globally, I could almost guarantee they will hold their values.

I think decently specified GT4's will be trading at >£90k (c.£15k over list) at launch.

All GT and limited run Porsche prices have gone silly over the past 2 years.

Edit:

Just did a quick check on Pistonheads, and in the UK at least, the only GT models that trade below list are: 996 GT3, 996 GT2 & gen 1 997 GT3. But the prices of all 3 are rapidly rising.

Last edited:
I think that the GT4, like the GT3 RS 4.0, will likely never lose value. It's such a sought after car already that I can only see them getting more expensive.

I don't know if it'll gain that much value. The 4.0 is worth a lot, but it was already worth a crazy amount new. The only Porsche I've seen close to holding value like the FGT is the appropriate CGT.

I don't know if it'll gain that much value. The 4.0 is worth a lot, but it was already worth a crazy amount new. The only Porsche I've seen close to holding value like the FGT is the appropriate CGT.

The crazy thing is that some of the rarer 911s sell for more than some of the higher mileage CGTs....which is insane to me.

Until recently, the CGT has been a bargain.

18 months ago, you could pick up a good CGT for £350k (high milers were below £300k)... when a decent '73 RS was fetching £500k. They have shot up in value following the other limited run models and are now c.£550k, but still great value compared to the £495k JZM are asking for a low mileage 964 Turbo S lightweight :crazy:

I think JZM sold a 4.0RS in PTS Mexico Blue for £395k late last year... silly money.

The crazy thing is that some of the rarer 911s sell for more than some of the higher mileage CGTs....which is insane to me.
Until recently, the CGT has been a bargain.

18 months ago, you could pick up a good CGT for £350k (high milers were below £300k)... when a decent '73 RS was fetching £500k. They have shot up in value following the other limited run models and are now c.£550k, but still great value compared to the £495k JZM are asking for a low mileage 964 Turbo S lightweight :crazy:

I think JZM sold a 4.0RS in PTS Mexico Blue for £395k late last year... silly money.
This is true. I was referring more to the time frame between end of production & where the values are now; a couple FGTs shot up to $300,000 in just 5 years of leaving production & outside of Ferraris, the CGT is closest I have seen in my lifetime retain such value in less than 10 years of leaving production. I should have elaborated on that instead of a broad statement including all-time.

The 4.0RS Stotty brings up, though, may be even better. 2012 4.0 retailed at $186,000MSRP (125,000GBP/174,000Euro though that's just a conversion & doesn't take in what the actual regional price).
'11 4.0 in the UK sitting at $362,700/245,000GBP with 9,000 odo.
'11 4.0 in Germany sitting at $411,000/389,000Euros with 1,200 odo.

Of course, that's 600 cars altogether (where as the CGT had double that), but pretty crazy for 2 examples to nearly double in value at 4 years old. The RS line altogether seems to be a more sound investment for a Porsche. I see a couple Mk. I GT3 RS '04s asking $230,000+ on the market.

Nope, not interested. Still prefer the 991 GTS over this car. 💡
You liar, you.

Getting interested. It's about time I get rid of my Mondeo and buy a Porsche. Prefer the 991 but the GT4 is cheaper.

Of course, that's 600 cars altogether (where as the CGT had double that), but pretty crazy for 2 examples to nearly double in value at 4 years old. The RS line altogether seems to be a more sound investment for a Porsche. I see a couple Mk. I GT3 RS '04s asking $230,000+ on the market.

My 18 month comment in my previous post was a bit wide of the mark! I was re-reading a car magazine earlier this week from September last year. There was a CGT for sale in the classifieds at £300k (dealer, decent spec, c.20k miles). The cheapest one I can find 7 months later is £550k :lol:

Now we just need RUF to get their mitts on it.

I doubt RUF need to use the GT4 as a base given they pretty much strip everything off and start again anyway. A base Caymen would be a cheaper and more effective starting point!

I doubt RUF need to use the GT4 as a base given they pretty much strip everything off and start again anyway. A base Caymen would be a cheaper and more effective starting point!
Probably but the front suspension of the GT4 is of the 991 GT3 and that is a very good baseline to start from when making a "Cayman" Ruf.

My 18 month comment in my previous post was a bit wide of the mark! I was re-reading a car magazine earlier this week from September last year. There was a CGT for sale in the classifieds at £300k (dealer, decent spec, c.20k miles). The cheapest one I can find 7 months later is £550k :lol:

Isn't the RGT historically based on the GT3?

Not sure what they use as a base car, but not really than important as all the GT3 suspension parts are available to buy from Porsche.

GT4 might make a good base car as I think the pick up points for the suspension (and the geometry) are different to a regular Cayman.

Probably but the front suspension of the GT4 is of the 991 GT3 and that is a very good baseline to start from when making a "Cayman" Ruf.
While I'm sure it's a good baseline, Stotty is right; they're going to use whatever they want & customers can always option for something beyond if they like.

On that, I don't think RUF has much interest in the Cayman line-up. They did a 3400K for their 25th Anni., but that's really been it. They've mainly been concerned with the GT3/Turbo-esque models in the RGT & RTR with the CTR3 & 3400S (Boxster) on the side. If someone really wanted a RUF Cayman GT4, it'd be up to them to foot the R&D bill for RUF to build it.

Cayman > 911

The mid engined Porsche's are fantastic cars to drive, but a 911 is a 911... they just FEEL so different to anything else on the road, and it's this that makes them special to drive, no matter what the performance numbers or lap times say.

The mid engined Porsche's are fantastic cars to drive, but a 911 is a 911... they just FEEL so different to anything else on the road, and it's this that makes them special to drive, no matter what the performance numbers or lap times say.
In terms of looks, the 911 just doesn't even compare.

The Caymen is nice, especially the GT4, but I'll just leave this here... and the 991 is nowhere near the best looking 911 of all time.

991-gt3-rs-04-copyright-porsche-downloaded-from-stuttcars_com.jpg

A racing version might be on the way:

Look at that understeer at 0:50. :lol:

I think they should make the Cayman the ultimate ICE-only car. Morph the 911 into something that has batteries under your ass and a big stonking electric motor and controller under the hood.

I also would take the Cayman GT4 over those. Only 911 that would come close would be SC-RS.

Back