Porsche Esports Challenge USA Returns for 2023 in Gran Turismo 7 with $30,000 Prize Fund

• Thread starter Famine
  • 111 comments
Jumped right into this TT and not really expecting the car to be so unruly. Spent about 2 hours to finally break into a high 3:49 and gotta hang this up for another day. If I knock 1-2 seconds that would be all I could muster. A

I’m always slow on this track so being in the top 500 of 501 may be my best case 😂
Always up for a challenge but know when it’s beyond my ability too!

Congrats to all who have given it their best 🍻

About an hour in a posted a 3:52. I think my goal is sub 3:50 and I’ll be good.

Edit: 3:48:188. Might return tomorrow!

Last edited:
Put about 40 minutes in for a decent and valid lap. Luckily, I seemed to have decent control of the car today. Great improvement over my old PB and I broke into the top 100! Goal achieved, so I think I'll hang this challenge up.

18955c03c9955-screenshotUrl.jpg

18955c0515410-screenshotUrl.jpg

Anybody looking for tips on how to handle this unruly beast, here's what I've personally discovered:

• Brake early and in a straight line.
  • To stabilize the car through fast corners in third gear (ex. Turn 1 before the Dunlop chicane) give quarter to half throttle input until you straighten out.

I put in a few laps, and ended up in the top 1800 players, which I'd say is pretty good considering there's probably like, over 8500 at this point. Anyway, while I think I could've come close to getting around 3:50 or less if I put in more laps, I think I'm fine with my position. Mostly just here to get the livery, anyway. Since this event is limited to players in the USA, I wonder if that's why there's no potential credit prizes, like with the Olympic time trial? At any rate, I don't think it'll be as if I can easily review my final standing once this time trial ends.

Last edited:
If I get anymore seat time this weekend I’ll psych myself up for another run in the 917K before the event closes tomorrow night. 😬
I'm giving the 917 one more go tomorrow night. Today's session didn't yield any improvement. I just couldn't get a good, clean lap hooked up. I would have set a personal best on one lap, but of course I got dinged for a track limit infringement in the first Mulsanne chicane. I carried on with the lap and would have been over 2 tenths better than my previous best if not for the .5 second penalty I had to serve. :rolleyes:

I'm giving the 917 one more go tomorrow night. Today's session didn't yield any improvement. I just couldn't get a good, clean lap hooked up. I would have set a personal best on one lap, but of course I got dinged for a track limit infringement in the first Mulsanne chicane. I carried on with the lap and would have been over 2 tenths better than my previous best if not for the .5 second penalty I had to serve. :rolleyes:
Just did 160 miles in the 917… managed a solid 6 tenths improvement but I had several laps where I was quicker still and binned it. Several deaths ensued 😂! Optimal is a low 3:45 but I’m out of time today.
1689475996893.jpeg

Man, driving this thing is wrecking my nerves. Might give it another go tomorrow, but honestly it takes me so long to dial myself in, I’m almost out of time before I’ve strung a lap together 😂

Last edited:
Man, driving this thing is wrecking my nerves. 160 miles for a ~0.6s improvement. Might give it another go tomorrow, but honestly it takes me so long to dial myself in, I’m almost out of time before I’ve strung a lap together 😂
View attachment 1273131
Oh man, I was hoping my top 100 spot was secured. But you're 2 hundredths faster and 89 ...

Oh man, I was hoping my top 100 spot was secured. But you're 2 hundredths faster and 89 ...
I’ve now dropped to 96th and you’re 102nd. Going to give it one last try 😵‍💫

Edit: 75 miles later… lap after this I was 4 tenths up coming into Maison Blanche but ran wide and lost it all. At this point in the event I think I should be able to remain in the top 100 🤞🥵
1689551440130.jpeg

Last edited:
I struggled a lot at first with the Porsche 959 ’87 @ Sardegna Windmill challenge, but after watching numerous replays and running dozens of laps I’ve boiled it down to the few critical things necessary to get gold:

1) Play around with your rumble and force feedback settings. You need to be getting useful information from the wheel in all of your races, but it is particularly critical in rally where the terrain and traction can vary so much. Try adjusting your settings to get rid of the “noise” (the unnecessary rumbling and force feedback) until all that is left is useful and relevant information about the grip, the traction, surface characteristics etc.

2) As always, make use of ghosts, but in this particular time trial I think it’s really beneficial if you try following as many different ghosts as possible. On this track, with this car, the racing lines and the gear choice and the braking points vary HUGELY from one top-driver ghost to another. With a variety of ghosts you can try out different solutions, take bits and pieces from different drivers and distill it down to what works for you.

3) Try and enjoy the time trial, you learn better when you are having fun. And the key thing to enjoying this particular time trial is to be bat-**** crazy, insane, bonkers, completely unhinged, mad as a March hare, nutty as a fruit cake, cracked, crazed, totally bananas, off the chain, off the rails, squirrely, psychotic, out to lunch, stark raving max, demented, deranged, fruit loops, loco en la cabeza, sitting in your cockpit with drool running down your chin while you recite the list of all the capital cities of Europe over and over without stopping except to howl at the moon and to occasionally pour cooking oil on your head which you believe is the pope anointing with holy oil and confirming you as the second coming of Jesus Christ. If you enjoy this trial, they need to put you in a padded cell at the loony bin.

Last edited:
I’ve now dropped to 96th and you’re 102nd. Going to give it one last try 😵‍💫

Edit: 75 miles later… lap after this I was 4 tenths up coming into Maison Blanche but ran wide and lost it all. At this point in the event I think I should be able to remain in the top 100 🤞🥵

I was 97 before I had to stop for the day. I tried to make some improvement after I was finished with the Toyota GR race today, but couldn't manage anything. I potentially had a good lap, was a couple tenths ahead by the 2nd chicane but binned it at the end of Mulsanne. I guess a lot of people made a final push on the last day.

Oh well, onto the next thing.

Looks like my time held and I finished 69th 🥳, which I’m really pleased with given how tricky the car is. Managed to resist using assists other than ABS, but the number of attempts vs clean laps was indicative of my stubbornness 😂!

I’m not going to put a bunch of effort in on the 959 as I just don’t enjoy dirt driving in GT7. Will give it a quick go, but likely skip this and wait for the RSR at Daytona.

Looks like my time held and I finished 69th 🥳, which I’m really pleased with given how tricky the car is. Managed to resist using assists other than ABS, but the number of attempts vs clean laps was indicative of my stubbornness 😂!

I’m not going to put a bunch of effort in on the 959 as I just don’t enjoy dirt driving in GT7. Will give it a quick go, but likely skip this and wait for the RSR at Daytona.
That was a very fast lap! I wish I had spent more time on it, but ended up 104. Just nudged out of the top 100.

I did a few laps on the new stage and have a 1:21.526 which is currently ranked 149. But the top time is almost 7 seconds faster. That's a crazy gap.

Quick question...I got the ticket for the 917 livery, clicked on it but nothing happened. How do I access the new livery?
Unsure, but I won the car? Worth 18 mil in the LCD? Just for completing the time trial? 😳

Hell of a prize, considering!

Last edited:
The new TT with the 959 is a total LOL. My arms are tired from wrestling that thing around the dirt track. NO WHERE near the top 100...I'm like 7 seconds off the pace ATM 🤣 🤣

Unsure, but I won the car? Worth 18 mil in the LCD? Just for completing the time trial? 😳

Hell of a prize, considering!
Yeah I was a little confused as well. I haven’t clicked on the ticket test as it says the prize is not available until August 17 (yes, I understand I can collect it now and then the prize will appear on the 17th), but it also clearly says “gift car” rather than “gift livery” which is what I was expecting. Guess we’ll find out in 4wks or so!
1689696054170.jpeg

This didn’t count as a TT in your profiles, did it?
No, I don’t think it did. It didn’t have gold, silver or bronze rankings either.

Last edited by a moderator:
This didn’t count as a TT in your profiles, did it?
Full disclosure, I didn't do a lap.

But, the reason I didn't do a lap is the same reason I am 99% sure it doesnt count towards the profile TT information: there were no in-game credits for gold/silver/bronze since there were no aforementioned medals associated. From what I understand, you either get in the top four or you don't. There's nothing that states if you get within 3% of P1 you get anything at all.

The 911 RSR at Tona RC interests me, but these other two don't so I doubt I'll even bother for the reason(s) above.

Yeah I was a little confused as well. I haven’t clicked on the ticket test as it says the prize is not available until August 17 (yes, I understand I can collect it now and then the prize will appear on the 17th), but it also clearly says “gift car” rather than “gift livery” which is what I was expecting. Guess we’ll find out in 4wks or so!
View attachment 1273627
I was under the impression it was just for the livery. If you actually get the car, I will be bummed as that in itself would've been worth 3.5 minutes of time! I can't imagine PD giving away this 18mil car for just doing a lap, and it would be ridiculously unfair to all those outside the US who couldn't compete. I wouldn't get my hopes up for the car, but if you get it more power to you!

"This is an Online Time Trial hosted by Porsche for 3 consecutive weeks. If you make it to the top 4 in each of the challenges, you will be invited to the Final Event which will be hosted live. You will also receive an iconic car livery of Porsche by just entering the events!"

Last edited:
@Talon16

You might try participating in the new trial on the rally stage. I don't know what the stipulations are for receiving the 917, the event notice makes it sound like you just have to register/participate.

@Carlos Fandango @Talon16 and anybody else. You actually receive the car after opening the gift ticket.

View attachment 1273642

View attachment 1273643

Checked the value in the UCD, too ...

View attachment 1273645

No friggen way!!! Dang it, wish I would've known. Now I am bummed I didn't do it.

WOW~!

I got that in my ticket and I was like, nice, and then I did not think any more off it. I did not realize it was worth so much!
Keiran Lee Reaction GIF

@Talon16

You might try participating in the new trial on the rally stage. I don't know what the stipulations are for receiving the 917, the event notice makes it sound like you just have to register/participate.
This! Will have a run in the 959 tonight just to get a time logged (and collect my new 917K which is a car I currently do not own 🥳)

Last edited:
Just did a horrid lap in the 959 rally to get one in. I have a feeling, that if anything for that we'll get the 959 and not the 917. I already bought a 959 and it's worth way less money. :( :banghead:

I didn't read the fine print when signing up. Is it only one PSN account per person allowed to enter in order to qualify for the finals, or at all? If people can use multiple accounts and just run a lap to win cars then I think there is about to be more US accounts with times for this event then total accounts for any normal time trial... or PD patches it quickly and ruins the fun.
I very much regret not doing the first round because I thought the prize was just a livery, but at least I still have 126 NSX rally cars to sell so I can't be too mad.

Back