Porsche Esports Challenge USA Returns for 2023 in Gran Turismo 7 with $30,000 Prize Fund

• Thread starter Famine
  • 111 comments
Very nice surprise this morning. I’m keeping my second 917 as a 9M+ certificate of deposit to be cashed in later if needed. I do want a third 959 and will definitely use it as a dedicated dirt car. I’ll probably just the leave the ’17 RSR stock for custom race field filler.

Full disclosure, I didn't do a lap.

But, the reason I didn't do a lap is the same reason I am 99% sure it doesnt count towards the profile TT information: there were no in-game credits for gold/silver/bronze since there were no aforementioned medals associated. From what I understand, you either get in the top four or you don't. There's nothing that states if you get within 3% of P1 you get anything at all.

The 911 RSR at Tona RC interests me, but these other two don't so I doubt I'll even bother for the reason(s) above.

I was under the impression it was just for the livery. If you actually get the car, I will be bummed as that in itself would've been worth 3.5 minutes of time! I can't imagine PD giving away this 18mil car for just doing a lap, and it would be ridiculously unfair to all those outside the US who couldn't compete. I wouldn't get my hopes up for the car, but if you get it more power to you!

"This is an Online Time Trial hosted by Porsche for 3 consecutive weeks. If you make it to the top 4 in each of the challenges, you will be invited to the Final Event which will be hosted live. You will also receive an iconic car livery of Porsche by just entering the events!"

I didn't bother for similar reasons (also have finally been actually trying to play another game other than GT7 and Zelda ToTK has been taking up my time) and now am kicking myself as well. I read it as Livery last week and didn't care all that much abt that given I don't have the actual car :-(

My best lap vid at Sardegna Windmills with Porsche 959, DualSense Edge and no aids except ABS. #23 at the time (won't last), could probably go 1.5 to 2 sec. faster with wheel. 🤷‍♂️ Lost 0.8 sec. in one turn. It's tough with a controller!

Well, that was a nice surprise. I really wasn't expecting anything, so it was nice to receive a free 917 for just participating, even if it a beast that tries to kill you if you look at it wrong. :lol: Overall, I got nipped by @Carlos Fandango on the last day and fell to 72nd. :mischievous: I couldn't gain anything from my first day. Came close a couple of times, but I had trouble keeping control of it for a full lap.

The 959 is just as bonkers! I'm on a controller and MY arms hurt. I can only imagine how it must feel wrestling that thing around with a wheel. I kept picking up each lap learning how the car would react in general...and figuring out how not to lose complete control on the jumps. I was a good 8 tenths down in sector 1 on my fastest lap, so there is a ton to gain with more practice. Though I'm not a huge fan of rallying, so I probably won't do much more. Currently sit 123rd with a 1:18.937.

Well, that was a nice surprise. I really wasn't expecting anything, so it was nice to receive a free 917 for just participating, even if it a beast that tries to kill you if you look at it wrong. :lol: Overall, I got nipped by @Carlos Fandango on the last day and fell to 72nd. :mischievous: I couldn't gain anything from my first day. Came close a couple of times, but I had trouble keeping control of it for a full lap.

The 959 is just as bonkers! I'm on a controller and MY arms hurt. I can only imagine how it must feel wrestling that thing around with a wheel. I kept picking up each lap learning how the car would react in general...and figuring out how not to lose complete control on the jumps. I was a good 8 tenths down in sector 1 on my fastest lap, so there is a ton to gain with more practice. Though I'm not a huge fan of rallying, so I probably won't do much more. Currently sit 123rd with a 1:18.937.
Yeah I know how to take that jump right before the finish line without any air but it's so hard to line up even with a wheel. With a controller it's basically left to random chance. 😅 I'm gonna have to try this in VR with a wheel.

Well, if it's any consolation, I think you are faster than me on every other event @Dolph Drago, and we've both ended up with the same surprise prize!

I'll be nowhere close to you with the 959 as I am both useless and detest the rallying in the game (those two things may be linked). But I will definitely do it if there is even the slightest chance of a prize 959 at the end of it 😁

I didn't bother for similar reasons (also have finally been actually trying to play another game other than GT7 and Zelda ToTK has been taking up my time) and now am kicking myself as well. I read it as Livery last week and didn't care all that much abt that given I don't have the actual car :-(
You - and I - read it that way because that's what PD said... "You will also receive an iconic car livery of Porsche by just entering the events!"

It literally says "car livery." I am a bit irked at PD for not being more clear about it.

"Following an update of the Event Settings for Porsche Esports Challenge USA - Week 2 currently open in Sport mode, the corresponding Ranking Board has been reset.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused."

Interesting.

"Following an update of the Event Settings for Porsche Esports Challenge USA - Week 2 currently open in Sport mode, the corresponding Ranking Board has been reset.

Interesting.
They forgot to set it to invalidate lap times if you hit a wall when it initially went up. It now gives you a red time for any contact.

Interesting.
What? You mean I need to fail at being competitive AGAIN?

Interesting.

EDIT: IIRC the 2nd point was also an issue during the GR Yaris launch time trial back in GT Sport.

Last edited:
I'm glad this has been posted for visibility. I came back here after I noticed my own time was removed and posting a new and quicker valid lap. The top times are still ridiculously quick.

I can’t believe I slept on the free 917k! I had just got my new wheel and was barely able to get clean laps at the time… oh well, I already have 3 917k anyway lol.

I was able turn my 346th place into a 876th one and done run. 15 seconds off the new pace. Already looking forward to tonight’s regular tt reset.

PD definetly needs to sort out invalidating times in the rallying. I get they want to eliminate wall riding. How about just crank up the "damage", as opposed to completely invalidating a time because I brushed a barrier, or edge of the track. I mean it is rallying, people have crossed the line missing wheels irl.

What? You mean I need to fail at being competitive AGAIN?
You and me both, my friend. I can't even remember what my new times are but I got so tired of invalidated laps I just went super slow to finish one. High 1:20s if I recall. :lol:

PD definetly needs to sort out invalidating times in the rallying. I get they want to eliminate wall riding. How about just crank up the "damage", as opposed to completely invalidating a time because I brushed a barrier, or edge of the track. I mean it is rallying, people have crossed the line missing wheels irl.
Yea, definitely annoying. Especially where there are two huge jumps that are so RNG the car goes flying and there is no controlling it when it lands. You can hit them straight but the car does a nose dive, lands, then it's sideways and boom, lap over.

Was there a reason they had to remove EVERY time, even valid ones by only single U.S. accounts?
Because it's easier to just ctl+a and shift+delete than actually do any research. That being said, I have no idea how hard it would've been to delete individual times that did the wall riding. I am not too upset about it as this TT is a blow off for me, but for those who put serious time into their lap it's definitely a bummer.

Last edited:
Got my participant trophy, for doing one lap around Le Sarthe...
4fb6bf517a37b06dcef40d5ecbc2a8c4_photo.webp

Goes well with the other freebie.

Because it's easier to just ctl+a and shift+delete than actually do any research. That being said, I have no idea how hard it would've been to delete individual times that did the wall riding. I am not too upset about it as this TT is a blow off for me, but for those who put serious time into their lap it's definitely a bummer.
For the GR Yaris launch TT they only deleted the wallriding laps - I suspect they were also clearing region hoppers like Gryza said.

You and me both, my friend. I can't even remember what my new times are but I got so tired of invalidated laps I just went super slow to finish one. High 1:20s if I recall. :lol:
Yes, that was quite tough. Just the slightest brush of a fence or whatever and the time would be invalidated. My first clean lap was a 1:35 as I figured out how to not touch anything and then got it to a 1:25. After that, I figured that was good enough.

Anyone been to the offline qualifier events at Porsche dealers? I’m going this Saturday to the PEC in Atlanta. I know I’m not the fastest but can still put a solid time, and am mostly going for the experience (and that awesome museum lol). Would love to hear about anyone’s impressions.

Back