Porsche Joins the Coupe SUV Craze With a New Cayenne Model

article
Perhaps one of the coolest features on the Coupe though is its enormous panoramic glass roof. It extends nearly the entire length of a Cayenne to give passengers the feeling of being in the open air. However, to keep the heat and glare at bay, it’s thankfully tinted.

giphy.gif

The Model Y is doing this too and... I don't get it. Yay we're in a convertible, oh right, convertibles suck. Sun glare from every angle. Even with tinting it'll be hotter. Hail storm? I need a new roof and interior. Roof rack? for an SUV? Why no, of course not.

My feelings on the style of the Cayenne Coupe are directly effected by the angle at which I'm looking at it.

Granted, I also think the X6 and Mercedes GLC are generally ugly as sin, so if anything that's an improvement.

This is not a coupe. This is a 5-door hatchback sedan. The German manufacturers are trying to gaslight us by calling these sedans "coupes", because "coupe" sounds sexier than "5-door hatch". Don't give in to cynical marketing.
Well... technically...

"Coupe" just means "cut" and refers to the slashed roofline. Generally a coupe should not have a B-pillar, but ultimately it only really refers to the roofline as compared to a sedan.

"Hatchback sedan" is an oxymoron. Hatchbacks open to allow access to the cabin above the rear seats, while sedans only allow access up to the level of the rear seat backs - if you can reach in and smack the back of someone's head from the boot, it's not a sedan. Coupes usually have the same separate boot compartment as a sedan, although there's also liftbacks (which may be coupes) that allow higher cabin access.

In essence, this - and the X4/X6 and GLC/GLE Coupe - is a five-door SUV liftback, because it has the dropping roofline of a coupe but the rear opening allows access to the cabin above the rear seats. There is a true coupe SUV, but it is absolutely vile.

The one that's patently nonsense is the five-door shooting brake, like the CLA. Shooting brakes are three-door estates.

This is not a coupe. This is a 5-door hatchback sedan. The German manufacturers are trying to gaslight us by calling these sedans "coupes", because "coupe" sounds sexier than "5-door hatch". Don't give in to cynical marketing.
The use of the word Coupe on cars with more than 2 doors isn't new https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2018-03-03/cars/ref-4-1969-rover-p5b-coupé-35-litre/

Regarding the design, it's decent but it still has what lets all these types of cars down: that high 'hump' rear, because of how far up that vertical section has to go. Not that you can do much about that :lol:

Really? That Renault's literally the only coupe SUV I quite like the look of...

I like it too. It's not aggressively thuggish like the X6 and GLE, which I assume means it wouldn't actually sell here.

Every once in a while I see the Acura ZDX on the road, and it's a little reminder that Acura actually produced a rather restrained, elegant "SUV coupe", metal beak aside:

2010-acura-zdx-official-production-reveal_100231033_l.jpg

I'd be very curious to see what Infiniti could do with a QX70 coupe model. That thing needs replacing like four years ago.

QX70 is definitely getting on a bit, but to me it's always looked sleek enough that it doesn't really need a coupe version. Well, nobody needs a coupe version of an SUV anyway, but you know what I mean.

I think the problem with a lot of the SUV coupes is that they don't really look like they were designed that way from the outset, but instead someone took an eraser to the roofline. The other problem is that it's hard not to imagine any of them looking better if they were just regular cars rather than SUVs - I don't object to the "four door coupe" car trend anywhere near as much as I do with SUVs.

I don't object to the "four door coupe" car trend anywhere near as much as I do with SUVs.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing. Sleek looking four door saloons are great, even if the naming and marketing has gotten out of hand. But SUVs which are trying to be sporty and stylish at the expense of the practicality which is one of their few benefits over normal cars? No thanks. The one good thing about them is that you can immediately tell that the person who drives it cares more about their image than they do about practicality, driving enjoyment, or fiscal responsibility. In other words, it's basically a great way of knowing that you probably won't like someone very much.

The other problem is that it's hard not to imagine any of them looking better if they were just regular cars rather than SUVs - I don't object to the "four door coupe" car trend anywhere near as much as I do with SUVs.
The proportions of a coupe-SUV, large crossover, or even a regular SUV together with soft, car-like styling is not a flattering combination, IMO. It makes vehicles look more ponderous than if they were the same size but with more "utilitarian" bodywork. Instead of a stylish take on an SUV, they just look like a fat, oversized hatchback.

I don't understand the fastback SUV craze but I actually like how the Cayenne Coupe looks. It's a bit more subtle than what BMW and Mercedes-Benz do with theirs.

Well... technically...

"Coupe" just means "cut" and refers to the slashed roofline. Generally a coupe should not have a B-pillar, but ultimately it only really refers to the roofline as compared to a sedan.

"Hatchback sedan" is an oxymoron. Hatchbacks open to allow access to the cabin above the rear seats, while sedans only allow access up to the level of the rear seat backs - if you can reach in and smack the back of someone's head from the boot, it's not a sedan. Coupes usually have the same separate boot compartment as a sedan, although there's also liftbacks (which may be coupes) that allow higher cabin access.

In essence, this - and the X4/X6 and GLC/GLE Coupe - is a five-door SUV liftback, because it has the dropping roofline of a coupe but the rear opening allows access to the cabin above the rear seats. There is a true coupe SUV, but it is absolutely vile.

The one that's patently nonsense is the five-door shooting brake, like the CLA. Shooting brakes are three-door estates.
When I think of "hatchback sedans" I think of hatchbacks with more of a sedan silhouette (whether or not they go for the "four door coupe" label or a fastback profile), such as the hatchback versions of the Mazda 6, or the Audi A7.

"You can read minds?!"

Oh yeah, the detailing leaves something to be desired. But it doesn't scream "Napoleon complex" like a fully blinged-out GLE 63 S does.

So, where does the Macan fit in? I thought the Macan was in the GLE Coupe segment?

I don't really get the point of this segment of cars, but hey, every man his personal doodle extension...

So, where does the Macan fit in? I thought the Macan was in the GLE Coupe segment?

I don't really get the point of this segment of cars, but hey, every man his personal doodle extension...

Macan is more aimed towards the GLC than GLE.

At what point does a 5 Door Coupe become a 5 Door Liftback.

It's the exact same thing with the exact same design.

It doesn't sound as premium but it's reality.

It's quite a pleasant shape, but surely the regular Cayenne is now irrelevant? Not like its slightly softer roofline is hiding a cavern of extra interior space.

Latest Posts

Back