Porsche Unseen: 10 design studies

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 61 comments
Porsche will be revealing 10 design studies in the next few days. Today, they released 3 of them.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/products/porsche-unseen-design-studies-car-visions-22860.html

Porsche 919 Street

b_CVS0447.jpg

The Porsche 919 Street (2017; 1:1 clay model) was developed on the basis of the technology used in the Porsche 919 Hybrid, promising to make the exhilarating driving experience of the LMP1 race car available to amateur drivers. Under the outer shell are the carbon monocoque and powerful 900 PS hybrid racing drivetrain that helped the Porsche 919 to achieve numerous victories at Le Mans. The dimensions and wheelbase were also the same as on the race car.

bPD5_7387.jpg

b_DSC8825.jpg

b_BU16899.jpg

b_CUR7496_1_6cm_final.jpg

Porsche Vision Spyder

b_POR1816.jpg

With its spartan, puristic cockpit, the characteristic radiator grilles over the mid engine, red graphic elements and the suggested fins at the rear, the compact Porsche Vision Spyder (2019; 1:1 hard model) clearly calls to mind the Porsche 550-1500 RS Spyder from 1954. At the same time, the study was intended to further develop the design identity of Porsche and provide a pool of ideas for future details – for example, the ultra-modern roll bar.

bCapture0053-2_1.jpg

bCapture0063-2.jpg

bCapture0007_1.jpg

bCapture0071.jpg

b_POR1867.jpg

Porsche Vision „Renndienst“

b_DSC8692.jpg

The Porsche vision “Renndienst” (2018; 1:1 hard model) is the free interpretation of a family-friendly space concept for up to six persons. The design team designed a futuristic “space shuttle“ with exciting proportions. The study shows how the Porsche design DNA with its characteristic surface modelling can be transferred to an unknown vehicle segment for the brand. In the interior, passengers find a comfortable and modular travel cabin. The driver sits in a central driver's seat. The all-electric drive technology is located in the underbody. As a result, passengers can enjoy an unexpectedly generous space and travel experience combined with Porsche-like flair.

b_POR3229.jpg

b_DSC8665.jpg

b_POR3127.jpg

Expect more to come in the next few days

Last edited:
I'm totally in love with the Vision Spyder. I wish they would build something like that as a sub-Cayman/Boxster model.

Last edited:
These, more than anything else, make me sad that Porsche has become such a slave to the 911. Sure, they can crank out SUVs and Sedans and hypercars, and there is room enough at the bottom for a smaller mid-engined pair - but with the 911 around their sports car formula will never change. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen little evidence to the contrary. That 904 is tasty.

Last edited:
I am really digging the Porsche Vision Spyder; it looks awesome.

The VS reminds me more of a 914. I dig it.

That was my first thought as well.

I am really digging the Porsche Vision Spyder; it looks awesome.

That was my first thought as well.
Yeah, from the top shot, definitely a nod to the 550, but those 3/4 shots...
AU77931-1.jpg

Even the intakes on the front bumper...
1972-porsche-914-convertible-rhd.jpg

It's a nice concept Porsche have cooked up.

Wow, how close does that look to the car in Kaz' twitter cover photo?
bCapture0063-2.jpg

600x200

Last edited:
If only they could make any one of these things rather than playing it safe most of the time.

Porsche 960 Turismo Concept

cur7721-1605140696.jpg

“Take this 960 Turismo Concept. The idea came from the fact that nobody really had a hyper sports car with the proportions of the 918 spyder, but with four seats,” Michael Mauer, Head of Design at Porsche, told us. “Could we do something like this? Knowing that to bring this into production with the existing technology would be really tough. So we did this design exercise.”

Mauer continued, “Everybody thought, whoa, very cool. But then it was stored. A couple years later, a discussion started that Porsche should go into the electric world and do a BEV (battery electric vehicle). We, as designers, realized that this BEV technology would enable us to realize these dramatic proportions, so we pulled the project out again and said that would be our proposal to enter this BEV world. At the end of the day it became the Mission E and finally became the Taycan.”

“This new technology, like we see in the 960 Turismo, was a prerequisite to realize these dramatic proportions. It gives us much more freedom in the design department. This kind of new technology, the big engine block disappears.”

Furthermore, electrification, in Mauer’s mind at least, is a real boon for designers. “Since we are at the beginning of BEV technology, I would hope and expect that we see a lot of development to give us even more freedom as batteries become smaller and more easily distributed in the car, which will give us even more freedom.”

“But, even right now,” Mauer added, “a lot of components linked to today’s technology: exhaust, transmission, all of this stuff, means that already today I have more freedom. And I would say that certain design concepts will come back or we will see even more variety in concepts, since we have more freedom.”

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a3464...ign-started-life-as-a-porsche-unseen-concept/

cur7605-1605140700.jpg

cur7653-1605140700.jpg

cur7674-1605140700.jpg

960-4t-02-1605140689.jpg

That 919 street looks like it could be used for the new LeMans prototype class.
That, or the 918 RS concept. Please Porsche, don't just study these hypercars, actually take them racing!

Could that 904 concept be the next Cayman? It's absolutely stunning!

Here are some things you can't unsee: The Le Mans Living Legend looks like an Alpine A110 (All over) and the Vision 918 RS Looks like a Lotus Evija (Front view) ;)

It is fascinating to see these concepts, many of these look stunning without many changes needed to make them road worthy!

Just saw this thread and thought................have I died and gone to Porsche design heaven??? :drool: 👍

That screams Valkyrie.
I think the Vision 920 looks more like the Valkyrie. Either way, it's definitely because this is the most efficient shape for a car of that high performance. When all designers and engineers are all given the same real world constraints, everyone's going to converge on a similar efficient design

Last edited:
The 904 is screaming Alpine to me. I'm getting similar vibes from the Le Mans Living Legend, but more Alpine + R8, and seems to be what the 911 would become if it is mid-engine.

I'm totally in love with the Vision Spyder. I wish they would build something like that as a sub-Cayman/Boxster model.

I agree, too bad anything sub-Cayman/Boxster would be perceived to "dilute" the premium-ness of the brand so Porsche will never do it.

Back