• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 61 comments
https://carbuzz.com/news/15-secret-porsche-concepts-youve-never-seen-before

Porsche Vision 920

773622.jpg

773623.jpg

There's a secret laying behind the 920:
porsche-vision-920-2019_100769590_h.png

There's no way that's going to be a Vision GT. Gran Turismo would have made a huge deal about it. Its probably just a cancelled design

There's no way that's going to be a Vision GT. Gran Turismo would have made a huge deal about it. Its probably just a cancelled design
The 917 Living Legend was supposedly destined for GT Sport besides their VGT. Maybe they could add the 920 to GT7 and give it the same treatment. In fact, I never really expected that the 920 would feature a Gran Turismo logo.

Anything could be possible, remember Peugeot's L500R Hybrid that wasn't originally labeled as a Vision GT firsthand? Well it is now. If the folks at Porsche wanted to make multiple VGT's, they can do so.

Last edited:
The 917 Living Legend was supposedly destined for GT Sport besides their VGT. Maybe they could add the 920 to GT7 and give it the same treatment. In fact, I never really expected that the 920 would feature a Gran Turismo logo.

Anything could be possible, remember Peugeot's L500R Hybrid that wasn't originally labeled as a Vision GT firsthand? Well it is now. If the folks at Porsche wanted to make multiple VGT's, they can do so.
And what a platform to do this. No other console game has a program like this, for manufacturers to go all out.

It looks like the Le Mans Living Legends concept could be coming to production as patents of a new car look extremely similar to the concept we saw

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39175...-retro-inspired-supercar-with-butterfly-doors

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEZT7LVUY6BZPGHK4EHV2RIPGXYKCIRJQ7VNA5HG322VVEFIF5DX6.jpeg

message-editor%2F1612908238453-m674dbivnk56fon27uqixb6zfezt7lvuy6bzpghk4ehv2ripgxyl5puhvvz3yshox7v4l3ajixhls.jpeg

On February 2, Porsche filed with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) for a patent on a design for a sports car, which the EUIPO granted on Tuesday. Subsequently dug up by the Taycan EV Forum, the patent depicts an almost dead ringer for Porsche's Le Mans Living Legend design study, which it conceived in 2016 but only revealed last November.

message-editor%2F1612908387647-b_cur7937.jpg

Last edited:
Please, please god let this be the next generation Cayman.

giphy.gif

(I realize its far more likely to be a limited production model that costs a lot of money)

I don't care if this design study/concept Porsche is going to make it into production because it is probably way too expensive.

This is basically the Porsche concept car thread so here's another one. This is actually a new one, the Mission R, an EV. It's not from their vault.

300821-Porsche23987_LDN.jpg

300821-Porsche23900_LDN.jpg

300821-Porsche23932_LDN.jpg

Here's the full press kit.

I'm just going to give this a "it's fine". I like the arched greenhouse and the lightbar in the rear but besides that it doesn't scream Porsche to me. The white color isn't helping because we can't really see the voluptuous rear fenders. The side window also does not have the classic 911 curved corner which is absolutely key on any Porsche. It's a good design in my opinion but it's just not Porsche enough for my taste. In the case of Porsche, I do not like design evolution and want it to stay as traditional as possible, except perhaps for truly race-inspired road designs like the 918 Street.

Last edited:
I feel personally attacked that the 919 street isn't an actual production car....
If Porsche really wanted to they could sell say... 499 of them at $2 mil apiece and they would be sold out yesterday.

Hell, 1,499 they'd still sell out.

Also some of these were supposed to turn up in GT Sport.

I think the Mission R concept looks absolutely stunning!

If it does turn out to be Porsches answer to a future electric 911 model, then i'm all for it.
Actually it's got me thinking though, if Porsche do indeed plan on coming out with an electric successor to the 911, would it still have 4 seats? And then i'm thinking to myself, would it really need to? I mean, what would be the point if the Taycan already does a better job in regards to practicality? Surely it would make sense (in terms of cost mainly), to merge/consolidate, a 911 and a Cayman into one BEV model, using styling cues from both. Even call it a new name or number if they need to.

[Edit]

Looking at the shape of it some more (side profile view), even with just 2 seats i could see Porsche selling a shed tonne of them, (well as many as they can produce). Especially if it means quite a big capacity boot/storage area, for a sports car. Enough space to consider it a bit of a grand tourer. Which is kind of why i don't really see the point in the Tesla Roadster 2.0, in the sense of it's going to have 4 seats, yet you've already got the Plaid version Model S, to satisfy those needs. They should've just stuck to designing something with 2 seats, which would keep the weight down, and hopefully improve the handling furthermore, as a result.

Last edited:
I'm reading it as a design study preceding the next Boxster/Cayman. I do like it, but I will be sad if the next Boxster/Cayman is BEV only. The side proportions have a bit of a Koenigesegg feel to them, which is cool, but I can't help but feel its a little less purposeful looking than the previous midship Porsches.

Koenigesegg
That's exactly it. This is a great example of how particular proportions and shapes can be associated with specific brands. Porsche's shape is very specific and recognizable but so is Koenigsegg at this point. Their cars literally look like eggs from the side lol. Porsche's greenhouses have always been set further back on the body, something they did a good enough job of applying to the Cayman but the 911 is actually losing. And now this, which has a roofline that is pure Koenigsegg proportions, basically right in the middle of the car with equal lengths at the front and rear. It's a strange look to say the least, it is at least unique on a brand that thrives on weirdness like Koenigsegg but it's just not right on a Porsche.

I've got to admit now that it's been pointed out, i do see a lot of Koenigsegg in the roofline too, which i don't think is a bad thing at all.

I think as a BEV design study though, you've got to allow Porsche some leeway to focus on the most efficient packaging, rather than maintaining a shape that was kind of dictated by a RWD (911), or MR (Cayman) layout. Having said that, i suppose you could argue that the Rimac manages to do it (windscreen further to the centre, giving it more of a nose), but i'd bet money that this Mission R is way more aerodynamically efficient than the Nevera.

Porsche Vision 357

_DSF4826_ret_hires.jpeg

_DSF4881-HDR_ret_hires.jpeg

_DSF4870-HDR_ret_hires.jpeg

8.jpg

Porsche is now embarking on its anniversary year with the Porsche Vision 357 and a reference to the Porsche 356 – the dream of Ferry Porsche of a sports car.

356 as a basis to design DNA

“We created a very special birthday present in the form of the Porsche Vision 357, one which uses the 356 as a basis to underscore the significance of our design DNA,” as Michael Mauer, Vice President Style Porsche, says. “The design study is an attempt to combine the past, present and future with coherency, featuring proportions that are reminiscent of its historical archetype and details that visualise the outlook for the future.”

Built on the technology platform of the 368 kW (500 PS; 718 Cayman GT4 RS: Fuel consumption* combined (WLTP) 13.2 l/100 km, CO₂ emissions* combined (WLTP) 299 g/km) 718 Cayman GT4 RS, the Porsche Vision 357 represents outstanding sports car performance.

Modern interpretation of the Porsche 356

With its monolithic form, the narrow passenger cell with an abruptly sloping flyline and broad shoulders, the proportions of the Porsche Vision 357 evoke the lines of the 356. The windscreen sharply wraps around the A-pillars. As in its historic forebear, Porsche is pushing the boundaries of glass production: early 356s had a split windscreen with a bar down the middle. The split design was replaced in model year 1952 by a one-piece windscreen with a bend down the centre. The A-pillars of the Porsche Vision 357 are black and visually unite the side window surfaces into a single unit. This DLO (daylight opening) graphic resembles the visor of a helmet.

The functional details are integrated and underpin the sculptural character of the vehicle. This includes the concealed door openers by the side windows and the tail lights, which sit behind a patterned array of points in the body itself. Another nod to the original is the grille pattern in the rear, in which the third brake light is integrated. Like all current Porsche models, the Vision 357 features a four-point light signet in front. The round design of the headlights is also a throwback to the characteristic lights of the 356. There are also parallels in the paintwork: the two-tone concept with Ice Grey Metallic and Grivola Grey Metallic in the nether regions of the front end hearkens back to the grey tones that were already popular in the 1950s.

The wide track makes a bullish impression and enhances driving stability. The 20-inch wheels are made of magnesium and are equipped with aerodynamically advantageous carbon fibre hubcaps and central locks. Visually, they also recall a legendary Porsche wheel: the 356 A and 356 B with drum brakes had rims with the notably large bolt circle of 205 millimetres.

Sporty details from the 718 Cayman GT4 RS

The “75” anniversary logo adorns the doors and the front of the design study like a start number. And that is far from the only detail from the world of racing: there’s nothing behind the lower area of the front wheels, which allows better ventilation of the wheel arches. The wrap-around, jointless front bonnet is fastened with quick-release mechanisms. Threaded rods stabilise the large front spoiler. On the side sills, the Porsche designers employed natural fibre-reinforced plastic (NFRP) – as in the Porsche Mission R, the concept study for an all-electric GT racing car presented in 2021. The basis for the sustainable materials is provided by flax fibres from agriculture. Instead of traditional exterior mirrors, the design study is equipped with cameras on the edge of the roof. The visible tailpipe trim in the rear is made of a blueish-looking titanium, while the inside of the tailpipe is made of ceramic.

Like the 718 Cayman GT4 RS, the Porsche Vision 357 has process air intakes positioned high behind the driver- and passenger-side windows, which designers adorned with comic-style “Air” decals. Like the “eFuel” logo on the tank cap on the right wing, the decals are reminiscent of motorsport decals. The naturally aspirated six-cylinder boxer engine theoretically draws 368 kW (500 PS) from four litres of displacement. The high-speed mid-engine would be designed for operation with e-fuels.

Last edited:
I bought the book if its worth it its up to you.

I say it is because the pictures are stunning also the beautiful porsche designs.

If you like looking at pictures while sipping coffee i say buy it. I do wish Ferrari makes a book like this with its own designs that never made it into production.

The name of the 357 « vision » is ambiguous enough to think it might come one day to GT7. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Porsche had designed and tested a flat eight, twin turbo Cayman before pulling the plug on the project

Marcos Marques, Project Manager eFuels at Porsche, had a surprising response when he was asked about why the house of Zuffenhausen green-lighted a four-cylinder Cayman. As it turns out, the original idea was to engineer a flat-eight engine for an entirely different car. It was more than just an idea written on a piece of paper as it evolved into a full-blown experminetal vehicle based on a Cayman chassis. The mid-engined coupe had a twin-turbo, 5.0-liter engine with 750 horsepower and 738 pound-feet (1,000 Newton-meters) of torque.

As if that didn't sound hugely desirable already, the engine had a screaming 9,000 rpm redline and was hooked up to a manual gearbox. Marques says it was a "crazy car and it sounded amazing." Porsche tested the flat-eight monster on the roads near Weissach for more than a year before abruptly pulling the plug on the project.

As to why testing and development suddenly stopped, Marques says Porsche felt "it wasn't the right car for that moment in time." He went on to mention:

"We're an engineering company at the core and we're always searching for new answers, different solutions, and sometimes those answers aren't needed at that time. But that's all part of the engineering process. It's what makes Porsche unique as a car company."

It could have been this concept that was revealed as a design study which also had a flat eight

porsche-le-mans-living-legend.jpg

The large air intakes in the rear side windows indicate what race engine is installed – the most incredible-sounding eight-cylinder.

Porsche Vision 357

_DSF4826_ret_hires.jpeg

_DSF4881-HDR_ret_hires.jpeg

_DSF4870-HDR_ret_hires.jpeg

8.jpg

Vision 357 Speedster

1689282001370.png

1689282017222.png

1689282039532.png

Latest Posts

Back