Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,439 comments
47420298732_6d0d8eb6a8_h.jpg

46575549605_5ab226d46a_h.jpg

46767481274_0c7a79d04d_h.jpg

@Punknoodle thanx man! Though fliplights also out of place and my right tailight sagging out >.< That thing taught me well four years with me now wouldn't of had a better first toy

How I got her was absolutely disgusting! Just did the paint a half-year ago now racking up the miles/kilometers for sure xD

Attended a local Ford/Holden car show today. A last minute decision to go. Didn't really have time to give it a proper clean up. Still looked pretty good in the sun, not bad for almost 40 year old paint.

View attachment 814068 View attachment 814069

Does your Commodore have a family significance - like been in the family for awhile - or did you restore it/find a great example? I have a soft spot for seeing the less of the "desirable" trims so well looked after (gorgeous car), and I was curious if it's been pampered by your family all its life or something.

@nostradavor2
I wish we got the Brera and the C6 RS6 and VW Scirocco for that matter in North America. Three gorgeous cars I can only stare at through a screen.

Once mid-late '00s cars reach that 15 year exception here in Canada I'll make it my mission to import a Brera and a C6 Audi RS6.

SVX
Does your Commodore have a family significance - like been in the family for awhile - or did you restore it/find a great example? I have a soft spot for seeing the less of the "desirable" trims so well looked after (gorgeous car), and I was curious if it's been pampered by your family all its life or something.

No, not family related or a resto. Just a really good original car I bought it out of a car magazine in December 2002 just after I turned 18. The women I got it from, it was her mother's car and she had just gone into a nursing home and the daughter was using it to tow a horse float around. :lol: :crazy:

Not sure how many owners it's had. The handbook has Bob Jane Southern Motors in Melbourne as the original owner. So whether the people I got it from, bought it from the dealer when it was a few months old or not, I have no idea. Basically how it looks in the pics is how it looked when I bought it. Only real difference is that it had VQ Statesman wheels.

Last edited:
@nostradavor2
I wish we got the Brera and the C6 RS6 and VW Scirocco for that matter in North America. Three gorgeous cars I can only stare at through a screen.

Once mid-late '00s cars reach that 15 year exception here in Canada I'll make it my mission to import a Brera and a C6 Audi RS6.

I can send you mine haha
Joke aside, Brera is not that great car, it has 4wd or mostly FF drivetrain and not a single decent engine for that car.
3.2 V6 engine is not the Busso masterpiece from the previous (GT, 147, 156) but really bad (for Alfa) V6 made in collaboration with GM and Holden I think. it's slow and it consumes more than Porsche Carrera (2.2 L4 engine is even worse).
On the other hand if you want it as a collector item than it's great, design is spot on (even tho they messed it since concept), people will stop you on the streets and watch it or ask you about the car.. Interior is not that bad for the time and it does have Alfa feel but some parts of the plastic feel really cheap (even compared to previous Alfa's) .

Scirocco is better built car, better quality but it looks nowhere near Brera when you park them next to each other (friend of mine had Scirocco and I have pics of this 2 together somewhere, I can post it if I find them), it has few half-decent engines and sitting in it is the same as sitting in the Golf.. So compared to Brera it's kind of a boring car ....
So you don't miss that much bro.. Nice cars but nothing more..

@nostradavor2

Don't make it a mission to import a Brera, really...it's a gorgeous car to look at, but it's terrible to own one: bad engines, to name one, the 3.2 is the twin phaser made by GM and not the original Alfa Romeo Busso; interiors tend to fall apart and water sometimes leaks inside when it's raining heavily. Handles good (it's an Alfa) but at the same time it's boring to drive, the GT is a better choice all over it you want a Fiat-Alfa.

Just keep on staring at it from a screen, it's the only good thing about it, and you will save a lot of money.

I have to agree on this one.
The Brera is a gorgeous car, but it isn't necessarily the best Alfa you can buy, performance and reliability wise.
The 5 cylinder diesel wasn't bad though (if you are into that kind of stuff, mind you :D)

2.4 jtdm is great engine.. I just couldn't buy that type of car with diesel engine .. But it's better regarding every aspect than other ones in that car.. As I heard even 1750 Tbi (the engine from 4C) is weird in Brera, but I'm not sure ut couldn't be good with few tweaks... However 1750 Tbi wasn't available here..

I have to agree on this one.
The Brera is a gorgeous car, but it isn't necessarily the best Alfa you can buy, performance and reliability wise.
The 5 cylinder diesel wasn't bad though (if you are into that kind of stuff, mind you :D)
That was the best engine you could get for the Brera, but such a car with a diesel...ugh! The 1750 TBi is good, but the Brera is heavy, so it cannot shine as it does on the 4C/Giulietta.

That was the best engine you could get for the Brera, but such a car with a diesel...ugh! The 1750 TBi is good, but the Brera is heavy, so it cannot shine as it does on the 4C/Giulietta.

1750 Tbi is more powerful in giulietta and in 4c than in Brera.. Brera is heavy but for example 2.2 is 1400 or something like kg and it doesn't really feel heavy when you driving it, it also handles quite well but is just horribly slow(giulietta qv is 1320)... Best choice if someone wants Brera would be to buy 1750 and to do some mods on intake, exhaust and ECU.. I think it would be decent car specially because it's not from first series and they cured some flaws from 1st gen.. Also I agree with everything you said so far except I never heard that water is leaking in the car or had problems with it in my car.

Edit: Unless someone can take having diesel in that car. 2.4 can be cheaply tuned to near 300 hp and the engine (except in neutral) doesn't even sound bad.

1750 Tbi is more powerful in giulietta and in 4c than in Brera.. Brera is heavy but for example 2.2 is 1400 or something like kg and it doesn't really feel heavy when you driving it, it also handles quite well but is just horribly slow(giulietta qv is 1320)... Best choice if someone wants Brera would be to buy 1750 and to do some mods on intake, exhaust and ECU.. I think it would be decent car specially because it's not from first series and they cured some flaws from 1st gen.. Also I agree with everything you said so far except I never heard that water is leaking in the car or had problems with it in my car.

Edit: Unless someone can take having diesel in that car. 2.4 can be cheaply tuned to near 300 hp and the engine (except in neutral) doesn't even sound bad.
A friend of my father had a Brera 2.4 diesel and when it was raining heavily, water leaked inside from the doors, it's something that sometimes used to happen with Alfiats (it all began with the 155). It was due to faulty seals, not all cars had them, but it had a good chance of happening (just replacing them under warranty fixed it all).

Diesel on a coupe is insanity no matter what, I'd go with a tuned 1750 as well, it's a good engine.

With the FRS temporarily down for maintenance (since completed), I finally had the chance to put the Cayman S on track up at Watkins Glen a few weeks back.

Aside from a brake fluid change, the 981 CS is essentially stock (though I upgraded to the factory X73 sport suspension and dialed in a bit more camber (-1.5FR/-1.8R) and zero'd out the toe. The Pirelli P-Zero tires are decent for the street but they're woefully inadequate for track duty. And the stock pads Porsche uses, while better than most, glazed over after just four sessions and I think I warped the aluminum backing plates. I'm still waiting to see what that's going to cost me. :rolleyes: I had to stop after just a single day, four sessions. Two days were planned. The car had 5,200 road miles before putting a wheel on track. I'm guessing the tires have less than 1/2 their life left. :crazy::D Sorry car.

But that's how it goes. I told myself I wasn't going to push. But the car is just so wonderful, so beautifully balanced, you can't help yourself. The first session out it was about 48*, chilly, windy, a bit damp. I had no idea what to expect with pressures (I was up to 42/44 psi when I came in, yikes). By the 2nd session I was starting to get things dialed in, adjusting my lines and braking points and turn in points and getting a feel for the car's balance. And I was already telling myself that if I was only running a set of NT-01s and XP10s, oh my, what I could do. And the X73 suspension which feels a bit taut, maybe even a bit harsh on rough public roads, tends to dive a bit under heavy braking and rolls a bit much for my liking in the corners. The track changes perspective quickly.

There's an old adage that good road cars make lousy track cars and good track cars make terrible road cars. And it's true. But the Cayman is about the best example I can envision of a car that truly bridges the gap between the two and feels truly comfortable in both worlds. I drove the car to the track and didn't suffer for the effort. And despite the relatively conservative laps I was running, my FL of the day was almost 2 seconds quicker than my PB in the FRS with R-compound tires. (That probably says more about the FRS and how truly quick it is with just a few simple mods than it does about the Cayman). But it was also interesting driving a car with power. I had to progressively squeeze down on the throttle exiting corners instead of just mashing the pedal at the apex (or earlier). And the same E46 M3s that would leave me for dead in the FRS on WGI's long uphill straight, the flat-6 in the Cayman just starts screaming like a Valkyrie and I started reeling them in. :lol: It's almost too easy when you don't really have to 'work for it'.

47697698962_9214382925_h.jpg

40783996793_03b3763140_h.jpg

46833823935_22ecd14c20_h.jpg

Yeah hitting 140 mph+ was a new experience. I actually blew my numbers off and got black-flagged for the effort. :irked::lol:

Back