Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,443 comments
It's...sort of...official? Parents FINALLY bought a new vehicle (for my mom) and will be handing down the ever-so-dull 2003 Toyota Camry LE. (After not having a car for 7 months after my Subaru didn't pass inspection and was sold for scrap)

Picture from October...but still looks the same.
308715_2586094611027_171368530_n.jpg

There's a possibility I'll be posting this sometime... (NOT mine...yet.)
5Ef5K95J63E13Mc3F8c7ic216e4f64547187b.jpg

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3146863985.html
(Talking to the seller and getting the price down)
This will of course be a project car. Call me ambitious, an idiot, or just plain crazy, but I can't resist such a find.

Last edited:
Restoring it to original specs or are you going to have some fun? ;)

Plan on doing some fun with it, restoring it would be rather difficult considering how hard it would be to get parts for it. Last generation of the Toyota Crown to ever be sold in the States and it didn't sell well here. :indiff: Nonetheless, I feel like I just have to get it!

There's a possibility I'll be posting this sometime... (NOT mine...yet.)

(Talking to the seller and getting the price down)
This will of course be a project car. Call me ambitious, an idiot, or just plane crazy, but I can't resist such a find.

Damn, that's super cool Medigo. I love oddball stuff like that. Best of luck with it. 👍

The family baby:

ogxkr8.jpg

JUST fixed the brake line. We put a new brake diverter valve in (the one before was set for different brakes, now it's drums in back, disc in front) and had a heck of a time getting the system bled. The brake warning light kept on turning on, kicking on the safety. Turns out there was a hole in the metal line. Tried to make a new line, but we couldn't get those 90 degree angles in the line without kinking it. Then my uncle came up with the idea of putting compression fittings on it. Works like a charm now! Took three people to get it bled properly, though. It should brake normally now.

Now the only issues are bubbles on the roof and below the window.
That and putting on a new bumper. The one in the pic there is now all bent from catching on a metal fence. :(

It's not a show car, by the way. It's a driver's car. :) Vintage air, toolbox, and a thick horsemat for a bed liner. Though the AC did kinda mean the glovebox needed to be shrunk.. quite a lot, quite a heck of a lot.

EDIT: BY THE WAY, DRUM BRAKES ARE EVIL!

Last edited:
That is one awesome looking pick-up scarslasher! :eek: Not a fan of pick-ups, but that is very cool.
Hehe. Like you, this family's a fan of classics. :dopey:

It's a Ferrari color lightened up to closer match a factory GM color.
Would you believe my dad's boss suggested it be painted red? :sly:

But yeah, it helps that my dad's a painter.. and a darn good one, too.

I always thought those two sets of taillights looks similar.

Last edited:
Hehe. Like you, this family's a fan of classics. :dopey:

It's a Ferrari color lightened up to closer match a factory GM color.
Would you believe my dad's boss suggested it be painted red? :sly:

But yeah, it helps that my dad's a painter.. and a darn good one, too.

It is an awesome paint job. And that's pretty cool how it's a Ferrari color, didn't think of that. :eek:

Not sure how it looks to others, but I got rather sick of the hubcaps on the Camry and unfortunately my parents still have "ownership" of it... Until they insure their new 2012 Nissan Rogue and get it actual plates. So I had to "ask" them to take off the hubcaps. And they agreed to it! :dopey: Also gave it a small rinse, but then it rained...two hours later. :dunce:
539150_4482338415937_317984770_n.jpg

486550_4482337255908_587556704_n.jpg

This may sound stupid, but what color should I paint the steelies. I'm looking for uniqueness, but of course. It could turn out to be "ricerish" to paint them in an offset color... Blue or red, but...something tells me I'll be a joke. But it's a Camry, so what? I hate it anyways. :lol:

Edit: Here's the hubcaps that were deeply curb rashed by...my mom. :yuck:
417507_4482338255933_1649362345_n.jpg

Last edited:
Geez.. that's a tough call. Whatever you paint it, it might be more fancy to color the grill the same color.

If you're SERIOUS about a full-on paintjob, you could paint the grill into a stripe like our Malibu.

s5cqwm.jpg

That grill's actually been painted the color of the stripe. It was originally going to be like Z28 stripes, but then my dad decided to change it up and get all artistic with it. lol And he also went all Oldsmobile with the back, painting between the taillights. It actually reminds me a bit of a Dodge Viper SRT ACR, actually.

EDIT: Dear lord, I ran away with that topic... sorry.
As for the color, I'm quite partial to blue. :D For obivous reasons. Red's a close second, but overdone and often too flashy.
Or you can just make it low-key like a dark grey.

Last edited:
Um...I was just thinking of painting the steel wheels. Leave everything else plain. (It's just a Camry... :P) Though the grill could always be a tad more blaaack. (MCM reference :D) The grill was a replacement for the one my brother smashed in an accident. It was from a junkyard and has a LOT of scratches all over it.

MedigoFlame
Um...I was just thinking of painting the steel wheels. Leave everything else plain. (It's just a Camry... :P) Though the grill could always be a tad more blaaack. (MCM reference :D) The grill was a replacement for the one my brother smashed in an accident. It was from a junkyard and has a LOT of scratches all over it.

I guess the only option you have here is the color black, because in my opinion, every other color will make the car look ricey.

Well, maybe red may work too. Or yellow. Your call :)

Why don't you sand the hub caps (using very fine grain sandpaper); to get rid of the kerbing marks/scratches, and then just use black spray paint and paint them black?
And then put the hub caps back on. It's a cheap fix $20 at most.
It will look smarter than just having plain black steelies IMO.

I guess the only option you have here is the color black, because in my opinion, every other color will make the car look ricey.

Well, maybe red may work too. Or yellow. Your call :)

I suppose it would seem ricey to paint them in a different color... Red seems to be a common theme for painting steelies, but I can see why.

Why don't you sand the hub caps (using very fine grain sandpaper); to get rid of the kerbing marks/scratches, and then just use black spray paint and paint them black?
And then put the hub caps back on. It's a cheap fix $20 at most.
It will look smarter than just having plain black steelies IMO.

I'll be honest, I despise hubcaps. Sure sometimes they do look "smart" on cars, but I just can't stand...the fakeness of them. In my town (the "second wealthiest town in Maine"), hubcaps are ever so popular and people can't afford actual rims. They're everywhere and I can't stand them. Sure they make your car look "better" by giving it a tad bit more detail than the bland steelies. But I look for something more honest, some cars really do look good with steel wheels. I don't care what people say about steel wheels, I just find them to be more honest and true. And hubcaps...don't get me started on painting them black...

Something similar to the popular choice in town. Mainly found in "shiny" metallic looking blackish/grey. Disgusts me every time I see it. It's everywhere...

MedigoFlame
I'll be honest, I despise hubcaps. Sure sometimes they do look "smart" on cars, but I just can't stand...the fakeness of them. In my town (the "second wealthiest town in Maine"), hubcaps are ever so popular and people can't afford actual rims. They're everywhere and I can't stand them. Sure they make your car look "better" by giving it a tad bit more detail than the bland steelies. But I look for something more honest, some cars really do look good with steel wheels. I don't care what people say about steel wheels, I just find them to be more honest and true. And hubcaps...don't get me started on painting them black...

Something similar to the popular choice in town. Mainly found in "shiny" metallic looking blackish/grey. Disgusts me every time I see it. It's everywhere...

:lol:

Well I was only suggesting it because I was guessing that it's temporary?
And the OEM hubcaps wouldn't look bad in black.

If hubcaps are out of the question; I'd just paint the steelies black. Painting any other colour would just make the car look ridiculous.

It's a boring looking car (no offence) and I'm guessing that's why you may want to brighten it up - but honestly you'll regret painting them in a stupid bright red, yellow, green etc.

Remember no matter what colour you paint them they're still steelies at the end of the day so you won't exactly be capturing a "JDM" look. :lol:

Keep it simple; just paint them black. It will improve the car and it can't possibly make the car look worse than it already is (I'm not saying the car is bad - just stating that if you paint a silly colour it could go both ways whereas with black it won't). :)

MedigoFlame
Alright, decision made. Just going with black. :P

Good choice.. Painting steelies any colour other than black wont make it look ricer... It will make it look 🤬 .......... And like you said its a Camry, don't make it look any worse lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a riced out Accord on lime green steelies this weekend. Gave everyone in the car a pretty good laugh.

Ok...I get it. Please stop already. The guilt from the idea's already killing me enough. I'm serious. I think two people saying it's a bad idea was enough already...

Last edited:
It was getting a tad annoying with more than two people already saying the same thing... It's a thing I have...once I come up with an idea that I think might be good and ask others. And they all say it's crap (glad they did), it really does make me feel like :banghead:

Let's move on to someone else's car before I shoot myself in the foot for bringing up a stupid idea and wasting space on this thread.

Back