Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,443 comments
The body roll is ridiculous on my Town Car, as I discovered on Tuesday. I was driving on a road pretty slowly (25mph?) because I was taking my uncle with cerebral palsy to church and I didn't know where it was. I almost passed it and I pressed hard on the brakes and turned quickly and it felt like we were tipping over. The tires were rubbing on the wheel wells. It's like the suspension is made out of pillows, it's kind of ridiculous but it makes it so comfortable. I love going on roads with lots of dips in them and just bouncing up and down. :)

Are you sure your sway bar or end links aren't broken or missing?! :odd:

8722606867_3155ea54d5_m.jpg

She's a 1967 Mercury Cougar 289,4 gear automatic.
Found her in a barn up in Toivola Mi.
Everything is still mostly original, I just replaced some things here and there.
Sorry for the lack of pics, all that was on my work's PC.
I will upload more when I come home.

No, I'm not sure. What are some other ways I should be able to tell, do you know?

If you're familiar with the mechanics of a car, get under and look. My sister's front sway bar was actually broken and the car swayed like you described.

Sway bars look roughly like this and span the width of the car (one at the front wheels, cars may or may not have them in back):
1998%20BMW%20328I%20E36%20-%20Front%20sway%20bar1.jpg

The end links look like this, and will be at either end of the sway bar:
k8953.jpg

No, I'm not sure. What are some other ways I should be able to tell, do you know?

Listen for clunking when you go over train tracks or bumps, that's usually a good indication of a sway link that's past its prime. Excess sway is another one.

CyborgGT summed up how to check under the car while its on the ground, but if you ever get the car up on a lift, you can grab hold of the sway bar and give it a good shake. If you have excess movement or hear metal on metal, its time to swap them out.

If you're familiar with the mechanics of a car, get under and look. My sister's front sway bar was actually broken and the car swayed like you described.

Sway bars look roughly like this and span the width of the car (one at the front wheels, cars may or may not have them in back):

I'll check it out when I get home, thanks!!!

Listen for clunking when you go over train tracks or bumps, that's usually a good indication of a sway link that's past its prime. Excess sway is another one.

I don't recall any the last time I went over and bumps or train tracks, but then again I probably didn't pay any attention if there was any. :P

I just figured it was normal since it's a big, flobbery, American sedan from the 80s. :lol:

Worn shock absorbers will give excessive bounce/roll too. To check those, while the car is stationary push down hard on each corner of the car quickly and let it come back up. If it bounces up and down, they are stuffed. If they go back to the top straight away they are fine.

So yeah I swapped my GTR :(:(:(:( but I got a sweet 2000 Beemer 740il. 4.4 V8, adjustable suspension, 19" wheels and all the bells and whistles you could ever need + more. Was one of the hardest things to watch when someone else drove my GTR away, I felt sick to the stomach in fact :lol: but yeah, just wasn't driving it enough so I thought it needed to go to a home where it could be enjoyed more :)

So yeah I swapped my GTR :(:(:(:( but I got a sweet 2000 Beemer 740il. 4.4 V8, adjustable suspension, 19" wheels and all the bells and whistles you could ever need + more. Was one of the hardest things to watch when someone else drove my GTR away, I felt sick to the stomach in fact :lol: but yeah, just wasn't driving it enough so I thought it needed to go to a home where it could be enjoyed more :)

Sad that you let your GTR go, but :drool: at your new bimmer.

I should have bought the 2.0l instead of the 1.4l TSI (160 HP).

Tell me about it. When I went shopping for my RSX, I didn't bother looking for a Type-S (I was actually trying to find a Prelude SH that wasn't modified or beat to hell). Especially after my last car being on the same power-to-weight level as a Type-S, I'm often wishing for more power. But I suppose at least it serves its purpose of looking good while getting me around with good fuel economy. We got a new manager at the store where I work... and she drives a Type-S. When I first saw it, I thought, "Son of a b*! Someone's one-upped me!" 210bhp vs my 160.

So I ended up with a Nikon D3100 in my hands for a bit, so I decided to grab some pictures of my car and see what I could do in Photoshop considering I'm planning on doing something in photography for college.

This was the original shot, camera on auto:

DSC_0081.JPG

Full Size

Here's after I spent 40-ish minutes tweaking settings and everything. I tried to pull off a vignette type thing but couldn't get it to look quite right.

Frontyard.png

Full Size

And this is a type of image I've always wanted to make but never really had a good subject to shoot for it:

FrontyardBW.png

Full Size
I realize I need to get rid of the green. Probably gonna go back and hit that when I've got more time.

I'm extremely happy with the middle one at the moment, though.

Please forgive my ignorance Minty but what car is that? It's not one I'm familiar with on this side if the pond.

I don't log in that much here. With the GT6 talk though I'm visiting this thread again. This is the latest development on my car.

472798_207443792697447_146961695412324_360060_858412985_o.jpg

458201_208002049308288_146961695412324_361522_1582346888_o.jpg

Engine removed for build. Previous power numbers were 326whp/330wtq on low boost on a Dyno Dynamics. Dynojet which a lot use, would show around 350whp. New numbers will be around 450 to start with and when the PPG Gears finish development then I will churn out 550 or so.

IMAG0190.jpg

download_zps7d391ae8.jpg

Sanded and reclear coated the carbon fiber good and fenders.

IMAG0234.jpg

Finally the wheel setup has been purchased. Specs are 18x10.5 with a +7 offset. Tire size will be 275/35/18. In the pic, these are scrub tires from Formula D. for the purpose of test fitting so there is no air in the tires as they can not be aired up due to the drift teams poking holes in the sidewall ago they can't be used. They were free so I grabbed a few to see what size I wanted to go with.

The fenders will be cut and Fender flares will be installed for now until I purchase the wide body.

20130422_093213_zps0aec9ce3.jpg

20130422_093242_zps33e189e8.jpg

20130423_205401_zps684c44fb.jpg

20130423_205414_zps1dada2f6.jpg

20130513_135320_zps7a42a13f.jpg

20130514_085202_zps05da7091.jpg

That's a wide rear track... and the spoiler... are you circuit-racing a FWD with that much power?

Very nice car though. I love the styling of the tCs, and it's really cool to see someone seriously building one. Those cars, in my opinion, are what modern the modern Honda Civic should have been. Nothing against the new Civics, I love the '06, but they don't have the spirit of the EG.

Last edited:
Back