Post E3: Inside Line Talks to Kazunori Yamauchi, Father of Gran Turismo

• Thread starter scandisk
  • 34 comments
Interview: Inside Line Talks to Kazunori Yamauchi, Father of Gran Turismo

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightli...kazunori-yamauchi-father-of-gran-turismo.html

Inside Line interviewed Kazunori Yamauchi, father of the decade-old Gran Turismo franchise, in Los Angeles after the debut of the PSP Go handheld and Gran Turismo Mobile at E3, and the release of a Gran Turismo 5 trailer. He spoke to us through his interpreter, Takayuki Nushida, also of Polyphony Digital.

Yamauchi was conspicuously mum on Gran Turismo 5 details, but spoke in some detail about Gran Turismo Mobile, which goes on sale October 1. We briefly played a Japanese version of GT Mobile, and among its 35 tracks (60 variations), you'll find the Nurburgring Nordschleife and Laguna Seca -- and, we're told, all the other tracks from GT4.

IL: Any details on when Gran Turismo 5 will be released in the U.S.?

Yamauchi: It's not decided yet.

IL: But I couldn't help but notice the NASCAR and WRC licenses in the GT5 trailer you released today at E3. Why, in particular, did you decide to add NASCAR?

Yamauchi: NASCAR is a very North American motorsport. In Japan, we're very European-oriented in terms of racing, and NASCAR has always been sort of a far existence for us -- we don't know very much about it. I actually had a chance to watch NASCAR in person a while back, and the experience was very eye-opening. We just thought that having this amazing series, including it in the Gran Turismo world, we would have WRC on one side and that would be the European angle and you would have NASCAR for the North American perspective -- that would really widen the field of the game.

IL: I also noticed the damage to the STI in the trailer, so should I take that as a hint that this will be the first Gran Turismo game that shows visible damage when people crash into a wall?

Yamauchi: Yes.

IL: How difficult is it to incorporate that into a racing simulation?

Yamauchi: It's just the order of priority. You have to get the shape of the car and the physics completely perfect to call it a simulator to begin with. Deformation was just something that's lower on the list of priorities to do for a game.

IL: Are you concerned about Forza 3 beating GT5 to market?

Yamauchi: I don't really know that much about the other games that are out.

Did you have any hesitation in doing a portable version of Gran Turismo given the limitations of portable gaming systems, particularly for driving games?

Yamauchi: There were a lot of limitations involved in creating a portable version. Gran Turismo is such a huge game. Gran Turismo has 10 years of history now, and of course there are people who have played it over the years from the first series to our newest, but I thought it would be good to have a new entry point for new users into the series, and that's where this PSP version is kind of placed.

IL: What was the biggest challenge you faced in creating the portable version?

Yamauchi: Simply put, the amount of memory available on PSP is very small. To run Nurburgring on a small machine like that is really hard work.

IL: When users download GT Mobile onto their PSP Go (since it doesn't have a UMD), how much of the player's 16GB will it take up?

Yamauchi: We're making efforts so that it's not going to exceed 1 GB. Otherwise, people are just going to fall asleep and drop dead while downloading.

Scott Goryl (Sony Computer Entertainment America): GT Mobile is also going to be available on UMD for previous versions of PSP.

IL: Had you played many portable games before you started developing this? Do you even have a PSP?

Yamauchi: I actually did try a bunch of them out before we started, and my impression was that there wasn't a single racing game that was worth anything.

IL: Did you play Mario Kart for Nintendo DS?

Yamauchi (laughs): I actually kind of like Mario Kart.

IL: On the DS, where you have the wireless that allows you to play against friends who are nearby, is that how the ad hoc mode on GT Mobile works?

Yamauchi: Yes. Up to 4 players can race each other.

IL: Sixty frames per second is good. How is something like that possible on a handheld?

Yamauchi (laughs): With a lot of effort. Sixty frames per second is something we're really wanting to stick to, because otherwise, we can't call it a game -- or at least I wouldn't call it a video game.

IL: So your favorite track in the game is the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Have you driven that much yourself?

Yamauchi: I think I've had about 10 occasions there.

IL: In one of your Ford GTs?

Yamauchi: I've driven it in the Nissan GT-R, Audi TT, Mercedes C-Class and Mercedes SL.

IL: What do you think of the Nissan GT-R? Would you own one for yourself?

Yamauchi: I actually do have one. I've driven it in various conditions be it on the circuit or winding roads. One thing you really notice is that it's an unnaturally fast car -- and it's very safe and it's very fast.

IL: What color is it?

Yamauchi: Red. It's the default color of the GT-R in the version of GT Mobile you played.

IL: I want to ask you about automated manual transmissions. The GT-R has one. You have a similar transmission in the Mitsubishi Evo. The Audi R8 has R-tronic, just a single clutch, but there are an increasing number of these transmissions on the market. Does this have any implications as far as designing driving games, because it's technically a manual transmission but it functions more like an automatic. Yet, in video games, you have the choice of one or the other. Is this going to force you to rethink how you design games and actually have animation of the driver shifting with paddles?

Yamauchi: Internally, all these types of transmissions are replicated in our games. Of course, you have single- and dual-clutch versions, but the shift timing and torque application and time lag of the shift and all the gearbox characteristics are actually replicated accurately in our games. For example, in GT5 Prologue, the 2007 Ferrari F1 car uses a seamless shifter and that's simulated accurately as well.

IL: For yourself on a racetrack, do you prefer a real manual transmission or one of these automated manual gearboxes?

Yamauchi: I like the real manual shifter better. I like that rhythm you have when you're doing your own shifting.

IL: For Europe there was the GT Driving Academy organized in conjunction with GT5 Prologue, and now Microsoft and Audi are going to do something similar to promote Forza 3 -- an endurance race competition. Is that something you plan to do more of in the U.S. and Japan -- where you get the top-ranked online users and let them participate in some kind of competition and potentially let them drive on a track as well?

Yamauchi: Yeah, we do have plans to do something like that both in the U.S. and Japan.

IL: In advance of the launch of GT5?

Yamauchi: Ten years of Gran Turismo history led up to creating that successful young driver. That's something we definitely want to continue.

IL: In the 20-minute documentary that came out when GT5 Prologue was released, you said your vision for what a racing game could be was only 10-15 percent complete. Do you think you might be at 50 percent when the full version of GT5 comes out?

Yamauchi: That's probably a good figure.

IL: In the full version of GT5, do you think there will be any more distinction between U.S-specification and JDM-specification of Japanese-brand car, because for instance now if you choose to race a WRX STI, then you have a right-hand-drive car with the 2.0-liter engine that's offered in Japan (which arguably performs better), but would there ever be an option to choose a left-hand-drive model with the 2.5-liter engine that's used here?

Yamauchi: It's always a possibility that we'll do something like that, but ever since we made the transition to the PS3-based Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and beyond, one car takes so long to make. If we have a right-hand-drive and a left-hand-drive model, it might take 3 or 4 months to create each one. We just have to weigh our priorities of what we can do and can't do.

IL: What aftermarket licenses are you going to have for GT Mobile -- for tire, suspension and brake upgrades?

Yamauchi: In the PSP version, you're not going to be able to change parts and tune your car that way. We won't have specific tire and damper manufacturers.

IL: In the full version of GT5, are you going to let players choose different models and brands of tires to alter the handling characteristics of their cars and increase the realism of the game?

Yamauchi: It's very important to do that.

Last edited:
Yeah this has been posted in a couple places but nice to have it's own thread for all to find easy, here is my post in another thread

Thanks for the link 👍

It's great to seem him interviewed by a auto journalist rather than the usual gaming journalists, better questions like this

IL: In the full version of GT5, are you going to let players choose different models and brands of tires to alter the handling characteristics of their cars and increase the realism of the game?

Yamauchi: It's very important to do that.

Very nice.

But I do hope KY realised Inside Line was talking about actual models and brands (Bridgestone, Toyo etc) and not the usual tyre type system GT uses (N1-R3).

Yamauchi is lying lol

IL: Are you concerned about Forza 3 beating GT5 to market?

IL: Had you played many portable games before you started developing this? Do you even have a PSP?

Yamauchi: I actually did try a bunch of them out before we started, and my impression was that there wasn't a single racing game that was worth anything.

IL: Did you play Mario Kart for Nintendo DS?

Yamauchi (laughs): I actually kind of like Mario Kart.

Amazing. yes, real tyres!!!

i wouldn't be so sure!!!!!!!!!
if you read the upper question doesn't seem so...

he told: We won't have specific tire and damper manufacturers

however about the release date, for me they didn't tell for sony's business... they have to let sell psp and gtmobile first, cuz nobody would buy it if they tell that gt5 will be released on 1st november or maybe october to...
but my guess remain the same, that gt5 will came out on 31 december maximum---

Last edited:
Great interview...I think he's being a little coy about NASCAR...I'm sure he realises how important NASCAR is in the US, and how it will hopefully drive PS3 sales if GT5 is the only place to play NASCAR racing.

i wouldn't be so sure!!!!!!!!!
if you read the upper question doesn't seem so...

he told: We won't have specific tire and damper manufacturers

In the last question in the link, they asked about the Full GT5 version with tyre makes and brands, the answer you quoted comes from the question about the PSP version.

Though I do still hope nothing got lost in translation and KY wasn't refering to the generic choices like GT has always have had.

In the last question in the link, they asked about the Full GT5 version with tyre makes and brands, the answer you quoted comes from the question about the PSP version.

Though I do still hope nothing got lost in translation and KY wasn't refering to the generic choices like GT has always have had.

i've understood, but he told won't and not don't, so if he won't he will not want for gt5 also...

Gamespot:

We chat with the Gran Turismo series creator about the past, present, and future of the real driving simulator.

My interview with Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi began with a question… from him to me. On the heels of this morning's proper unveiling of Gran Turismo for PSP and the debut of a new trailer for Gran Turismo 5 for PS3, new information has begun to flood out about both games. While Yamauchi spoke at length to me about the PSP version of the game (read our latest hands on), our conversation began when discussing the trailer for GT 5, which featured not just the traditional road racing you've come to expect from the series, but also the addition of a couple of high profile racing licenses: WRC (World Rally Championship) and NASCAR.

It seems that Yamauchi, who recently attended a NASCAR race at the Texas Motor Speedway, has become increasingly interested in thestock car series, even though he admitted the series feels very alien to the traditional Japanese motorsports fan who, according to Yamauchi, share tastes with European racing fans. His question to me: What do you think of NASCAR?

It's not often that a legendary game maker poses a serious question to you and, because of that, I wanted to choose my words carefully. After some thought, I said that while NASCAR wasn't my favorite form of motorsport, it's presence and importance to the American racing scene is undeniable. He seemed satisfied with that answer, as well as my suggestion that the traditionally oval-focused series would do well to add another couple of road races to the series to appeal to non-American fans.

Gran Turismo for PSP was unveiled in playable form today--about five years after its initial announcement--and that delay has brought more than a few (myself included) to wonder if the game was ever going to become a reality. Indeed, Yamauchi himself admits that it's been a long road between bringing Gran Turismo for PSP from its 2004 announcement to release this October.

"Simply put, we really wanted to develop the game ourselves, without licensing it out to others. When you do that, there's an order of priority that you develop. We had to make Tourist Trophy, we had to get out GT HD, and as a result, it took us this long to get into it. We actually regretted now that we made the announcement back then, because it was really too early."

Having spent some hands-on time with the game, both in an older-model PSP and a new PSP Go, it's apparent that the long wait hasn't been equated with a lack of effort. In fact, the sheer amount of content in Gran Turismo for PSP is staggering, with around 800 cars to choose from, 35 tracks, and 60 track layouts to drive (Yamauchi told me this was the most complete list of tracks ever seen in a GT game). The track list shown in the E3 build of the game included: High Speed Ring, Laguna Seca, Trial Mountain, Nürburgring Nordschliefe, Ice Arena, Cote de Azure, Tsukuba, Autumn Ring, Seattle, Swiss Alps, Grand Canyon, Deep Forest, Toyko Route 246 and Grand Valley. I only had a chance to tackle a small segment of the massive Ring, but it looks like a faithful recreation of the track, complete with its endless snaking corners and narrow roadway.

Of course, Gran Turismo has always been about fantasy and reality--and the track list is no different. Sitting side by side Laguna Seca, you have the super-fast fictional High Speed Ring, or the complex and tricky Trial Mountain. I asked Yamauchi about the original creation of some of those fictional tracks; how they came about and what served as their inspiration? His answer: pen and paper.

"We really just started drawing off with inspiration by drawing on piece of paper. [We'd say] 'You have a hill here.' 'You have a valley here.' 'So you probably get a view of the corner like this.' And as a result a lot of the courses we made in that manner actually came out to be very fun courses to drive."

And it’s the act of driving those courses, fictional or otherwise, that is at the heart of Gran Turismo for PSP. While you can play the game with the single analog stick on the PSP, the touch of the d-pad is significantly more accurate for making small corrections. The result is that Gran Turismo for PSP feels very similar to the original Gran Turismo, a game that only had support for d-pad steering. Yamauchi agrees, "I think myself that it might be easier to play with the d-pad. [The original Gran Turismo] was only compatible with the d-pad to begin with. We have a long history of adjusting the d-pad controls from back then. And of course we've tuned analog controller so that you can play it either way but I think the preference for most will be to play with the d-pad."

As for the future of Gran Turismo for PSP and its interface with Gran Turismo 5, Yamauchi remains vague about details. He did confirm that Polyphony Digital isn't planning DLC for the PSP game, but the idea of car ownership across the series continues to intrigue him. "These are just preliminary thoughts but [regarding] the cars in a user's garage: it's their cars. We're thinking about maybe being able to transfer your cars from your PSP garage straight into your Gran Turismo 5 garage. But that's just something we're considering. I'm hoping to make it so that the cars you get in the game are your cars. So that even when the system changes, whether it be from PSP to GT5 to even future renditions of GT6 and on [you can keep the cars you've collected]."

Finally, a general question for the man who has been more closely console racing than anyone else over the past decade: What did he think of the trend of simulation racing game developers shifting their development towards to a more arcade-racing approach, leaving the Gran Turismo series as one of the last console bastions of so-called serious driving games?

"I don't really know how to answer that. U2 makes U2 [records]. Just because hip-hop is popular in the world, [U2 is] not going to go do hip-hop. We just really go with the trends of the users and what we really believe in. And we try to accomplish what we believe in at a very high level."

Look for more on Gran Turismo for PSP and Gran Turismo 5 in the coming months.

IL: Any details on when Gran Turismo 5 will be released in the U.S.?

Yamauchi: It's not decided yet.

This sounds good to me. ;)

Last edited:
Great interviews to read, I like to see good questions asked in interviews, although I can't see anyone topping Superfla's interview.

He will always go down as the man who saved us from R.B.E in my book. 👍

i've understood, but he told won't and not don't, so if he won't he will not want for gt5 also...

You're forgetting that the PSP has limited space and as a result GTPSP needs to be much smaller than the PS3 GT. I wouldn't worry, GT5 will most probably have a wide variety of tuning parts.

As he says: ,,IN THE PSP VERSION, you wont be able.." I bet you'll be able to buy tuning parts and etc in the full GT5 like we always did.
Really nice to read all those interviews!

Interview: Inside Line Talks to Kazunori Yamauchi, Father of Gran Turismo

Yamauchi: In the PSP version, you're not going to be able to change parts and tune your car that way.

if that means no tuning then thats less game on my pre-order list.

What good PSP racing games is there?

EDIT this looks like a odd double post but the post prior was deleted.

Last edited:
As he says: ,,IN THE PSP VERSION, you wont be able.." I bet you'll be able to buy tuning parts and etc in the full GT5 like we always did.
Really nice to read all those interviews!

this is normal... we were debate about brand tyres...

man this guy doesn't give standard answers. he actually answers the questions, maybe thats why sony wanted him not to talk about gt5.(he'll revil the secrets)

Nice, thanks for this.
But this realy worries me:

I mean, come on! One of the jobs you have as a game developer is checking what the other companies are doing and try to stay ahead of them!
And this is exactly the problem with GT if you ask me. They are doing good if there wasn't any other game to worry about. But Forza is getting very close to GT5 as it seems in just a small matter of the time that it took to get from GT1 to GT5.

I mean, come on! One of the jobs you have as a game developer is checking what the other companies are doing and try to stay ahead of them!
And this is exactly the problem with GT if you ask me. They are doing good if there wasn't any other game to worry about. But Forza is getting very close to GT5 as it seems in just a small matter of the time that it took to get from GT1 to GT5.
He obviously doesn't need to check other games out, since it's Turn 10 who is trying to copy Polyphony Digital's ideas, not the other way around. ;)

Nice, thanks for this.
But this realy worries me:

Thats basic media training right there. Deflect the question about the competition as quickly as possible, don't spend 1 second of time on it.
Im sure they have spent many hours analyzing what forza 3 are doing.

I have seen videos of Forza 3 and it looks good. It truly does. I haven't seen GT5 (obviously,), but I expect it to look better. As for Forza VS. GT or GT5, Forza seems....less sophisticated. We see WRC now AND NASCAR. Though I expect NASCAR to be a small portion of the game, it is not in Forza 3. GT is hitting all corners of racing while Forza focuses on crashing and including cars that GT doesn't have. Forza 3 looks competent, but I still believe GT5 will reign supreme because of variety.

This is how I think it will go down. GT5 will be the best driving game ever, from the perspective of driving. After listening to the Gamespot interview on FM3 it seems like they are really making a top flight game. Its just such a shame the 360 does not support Logitech wheels. This is the only thing preventing me from getting a 360 and FM3. I just can't afford a Fanatec wheel, a 360 and FM3. Thats $360 for the 360 and FM3 + $50 for live + between $330 and $400 for the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel ($400 is the pure edition w/ the CS pedals). Thats between $770 - 900 when you factor in tax. No game is worth that. Even if I had a 360 it would still be too much ($470-$600 /- $50 if you have live). A PS3 $400 + a DFGT $109+ GT5 $60 is a little under $600. This changes greatly if you already have a PS3, only $180. The cost is just not worth it people, you CAN wait.

What a stupid interviewer. Im sure EVERY person on "the planet" would ask better questions than that guy. He never asked for anything specific, didnt ask about different versions of GT5, about dynamic weather, KY kept talking about priorities... he didnt ask what his priorities were! What an idiot.

Any news is good news, but this couldve been alot better.

Back