Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Me too but I just cannot race without it, I was all over the place. Pretty chronic understeer now but i can drive around that to a degree.
I gave it a try and went a second slower. Just don't like the feel of these GR3 cars post-patch. Took a full second off my best time by switching it off again and jumping in the Ford GT. Still miles off the leaders though. Getting frustrated with it now.

I gave it a try and went a second slower. Just don't like the feel of these GR3 cars post-patch. Took a full second off my best time by switching it off again and jumping in the Ford GT. Still miles off the leaders though. Getting frustrated with it now.

I cannot QUITE match my fastest time without stability control, 59.5 without it, 59.8 with it on. BUT I can race MUCH faster and much more consistently. The 59.5 was real knife edge stuff and sticking to the perfect line, as soon as i wa soff it the car would SHE speed through the esses.

Understeer would lead me to believe you are over driving the car on corner entry, which is then setting you up wrong for the exit when you jump on the power.

I use a wheel though and I'm ver progressive with all inputs.

100% correct but yeah i have no margin for error as u use the D pad and X and square buttons :embarrassed:

100% correct but yeah i have no margin for error as u use the D pad and X and square buttons :embarrassed:

Gotcha.

I would recommend using the triggers for acceleration and brake, and use the analogue stick to steer which would give you more progressive input. I used X and square for gear up and down.

I was a Dpad and X and square user up until prologue, then made the tricky switch to what I have just suggested. It's worth the effort if you can.

I'd go triggers and use the motion sensor for steering for the most resolution using a controller (and fairly natural / intuitive controls too)

Gotcha.

I would recommend using the triggers for acceleration and brake, and use the analogue stick to steer which would give you more progressive input. I used X and square for gear up and down.

I was a Dpad and X and square user up until prologue, then made the tricky switch to what I have just suggested. It's worth the effort if you can.

Oh how I have tried, countless hours, just cannot do it, like I am writing with my left hand.

Personally I think you're at a severe disadvantage using that control method as it doesn't allow for any fine control other than what GTS will apply in terms of control filtering.

Historically Gran Turismo was always intended to be used with the analog sticks. If you look back back to 1997 you'll see that GT was effectively the launch title for the original DualShock - I still remember coming back from the store with both GT1 and the original DualShock, and from that point on the D-Pad was history, and only used for Tekken and it's ilk. Wow that was over 20 years ago - I'm feeling old now ;)

If you find yourself unable to make the transition to the analog sticks then next option would be a wheel and pedals setup - however that comes with a certain amount of expense, and also requires a suitable space and the ability to secure the wheel, both of which may make a wheel a non-starter for you.

Historically Gran Turismo was always intended to be used with the analog sticks. If you look back back to 1997 you'll see that GT was effectively the launch title for the original DualShock - I still remember coming back from the store with both GT1 and the original DualShock, and from that point on the D-Pad was history, and only used for Tekken and it's ilk. Wow that was over 20 years ago - I'm feeling old now...

The DS2 & DS3 both had analog buttons, & the DS3 registered 256 degrees of pressure for each, so using the D Pad & other buttons to drive was actually very easy & intuitive. Analog buttons were dropped on the DS4 (to save money I presume), so people who were used to using the pressure sensitive buttons in GT games on PS2 & PS3 are now at a disadvantage. Sony should've kept them imo, or at least made a Pro version of the DS4 with analog buttons available at a slightly higher price.

I'm coming slightly late to this update as I've been away, but after 70 miles of play this morning in a few different cars, the update seems to have made road cars more predictable and easier to balance, but has ruined my AMG GT3. That used to be my Gp.3 car of choice because it was really nicely balanced (and made a great noise), but it's just understeering like a bitch this morning. I've driven hundreds of laps of Maggiore in this thing, and this morning's were, without a doubt, the least enjoyable!

Do you play PCARS2?
More cars, much wider variety of cars, much, much better tracks and more realistic driving physics.
Maybe time to investigate that...

I'm coming slightly late to this update as I've been away, but after 70 miles of play this morning in a few different cars, the update seems to have made road cars more predictable and easier to balance, but has ruined my AMG GT3. That used to be my Gp.3 car of choice because it was really nicely balanced

This is unfortunately the same situation I find myself in with my Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 Corvettes. If they're gonna keep this tire model, I wish they'd at least adjust the BoP or change the default setups to make up for the chronic understeer that so many cars now have.

Oh how I have tried, countless hours, just cannot do it, like I am writing with my left hand.
I tried to learn to drive with the triggers too. It was surprisingly easy for me to adapt - until I tried to use the buttons for shifting. Once I started using my right thumb on the buttons for that, my muscle memory got screwed up and I wound up downshifting when trying to brake (especially when panicking when I was about to overshoot a corner). I tried just driving with an automatic transmission, but I didn't like the lack of control I had. I started using the right analog stick to accelerate and brake, and it's been working great for me so far.

I found the cars behaving exactly as you describe post patch.
I never thought about it before but in hindsight I may as well have been using Dpad/X because my control inputs were just banging the triggers on/off and smashing the stick from centre to full lock.
I've really had to smooth out my inputs to get back to where I was.

Maybe the ramp rate that the game "winds" steering on at is no longer compatible with digital inputs under the new model and needs to be recalibrated? In other words, when you press Dpad left or right (or swing the stick hard for that matter) the game should be inputting the steering at a slower rate, initially at least.

Also the TCS coming out of corners was completely screwing me up at first, but turning off the ASM for the first time in 9 months has fixed that. Why the hell did I ever have it on? Lol

Maybe the ramp rate that the game "winds" steering on at is no longer compatible with digital inputs under the new model and needs to be recalibrated? In other words, when you press Dpad left or right (or swing the stick hard for that matter) the game should be inputting the steering at a slower rate, initially at least.

That's what the Controller Steering Sensitivity option is for. Set it to -2 if you want the steering to be slower.

👍

I can't imagine using the d-pad to steer. I've always used the left analog stick, x and square. For GTS I had to switch to using the triggers which wasn't nearly as difficult as I thoight it would be.

...I don't know if that affects the D pad or only sticks and wheels.

The setting only affects DS4 users, not wheel users. It works on D-Pad as well as analog sticks. It makes steering inputs slower at lower settings, & faster at higher settings.

Well, the new tyre model seems to be good so far. Standing starts in Gr.3 cars without TCS seems to have improved. Cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 and the Lamborghini Huracán GT3 had their handling improved to be more stable...

As for the driving controls though, I'm using a DS4 with Triggers as my Acceleration and Brake controls, the Left Analog Stick for Steering, and X & Square for Shifting. When I'm using a DS2 though, the Acceleration & Brake and Shifting controls are switched. Using the face buttons and the D-pad is not ideal for a DS4, unless you decide to run with a buttload of assists.

Personally, I feel that the tyre update has killed any chance of a good result for the front wheel drive cars in GR4, when tyre wear is on, in competitive DR A+ races at least. The tyres are useless after 3 or 4 laps against other drivetrain layout cars, meaning 2 tyre stops is faster than 1 sometimes.....

Way to much under steer in rwd cars nevermind fwd ones. You can adapt to try post quick qualification times but when it comes to racing you cannot out break car in front without risking sliding into him and losing SR unless car in front has slowed way too much. It's turning every race into either a Monaco like procession or a crash fest.

Way to much under steer in rwd cars nevermind fwd ones. You can adapt to try post quick qualification times but when it comes to racing you cannot out break car in front without risking sliding into him and losing SR unless car in front has slowed way too much. It's turning every race into either a Monaco like procession or a crash fest.
Divebombing has been nerfed? Honestly that's great news lol

After time I must say that imo this is a giant step forward. I definitely don’t notice any particular quality of handling standing out. FFB gives more info with a wheel.
I’d say if you’re feeling a particular handling characteristic across all cars that it’s most likely the inputs causing it Because it’s not the model. Jmo.

Divebombing has been nerfed? Honestly that's great news lol
Dive bombers will dive bomb regardless of tyre model, this actually makes it worse as more collisions will occur. I was on about standard overtakes where you try hold inside to give opponent room but now you drift wide which was less likely in previous models. Race starts are now a mess when in middle of pack as cars just drift wide in first few corners when everyone is bunched. You just cannot push anymore.

Happened to me last night.

Leaders were fighting into the first of the four right handers on the last lap at gardens, big gap opened as they tangled wide, i go to make the pass and just drift wide, losing myself some 13,000 DR points.

Game is unplayable for me. The lack of grip is just so different to previous versions it may as well be a different game. No longer fun.

Game is unplayable for me. The lack of grip is just so different to previous versions it may as well be a different game. No longer fun.

In which vehicles? I've not found this feeling at all. In road cars it actually feels like they hold on much better.

Mainly gr3 and gr4 cars (don't race any other class so cannot comment on them), so much understeer even on rwd. Just cannot attack corners like in previous versions of tryres.

I find it really odd. At maggorie with Group 3 I really felt the lack of grip when accelerating, needed asm to race. At gardens Group 4, yeah the understeer is just savage. Struggling to go under 1.40, and I mean struggling .

Back