Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm 44. I spent all of my 20's on a track. I still go a fool around here and there. I've raced cars, track day'd cars, broke/wrecked cars and then worked on those cars. Of course there's a lot of snot nosed kids in here but not everybody.
Get's it wrong? It's a game first and foremost. None of them get it right. You're trying to feel a car through a steering wheel. While I can agree that certain aspects like top speed, acceleration, lap times, car behaviors can try to be recreated the best they can, you have to look at what draws you into the experience in the game. I spend most of my time when behind a simulated wheel in AC, then rF2 or ACC or PC2 depending on what I want to do. Why? The feeling is always there. I have ~2700 cars and ~600 tracks in AC. More content than I can ever learn properly. Everything from a 1923 Voisin C6 to 1990's BTCC to Pickup Trucks to all the latest Hypercars and just about every racing class that exists. Umpteen full grid F1 years, 67, 71, 75, 82, 86, 91, 92, 94, blah blah. And even Gran Turismo Vision Cars in AC and all of them drive better than anything in GTS.

If you like GTS then good. That's fine. Do whatever you're having fun with. That's what it's all about. But it in my opinion GTS is a lack luster, watered down driving experiences out of the options available. I find it boring. This is coming from someone who learned about Japanese cars in 1997 when the first Gran Turismo came out. Love everything the series has done (until now) and I've worn out playstations on their games alone.
I feel the same way... I love GT but I find GTS boring.

I'm 44. I spent all of my 20's on a track.
I guess I'm looking for discreet details in handling characteristics from the two cars. Modern AWD systems have some great tech working for them. I'll always draw the GTR to the Evo. The Evo has Yaw control in its rear diff via clutch packs. From the accelerometers in the car and steering angle, it can predict when to send torque to a certain wheel and use brakes to vector the car around corners. In the end you will get the in instances where it want to send the car in an oversteer, but not quite and straighten the car since AWD cars by default want to understeer. It helps the car rotate around corners where open diff AWD have difficulty doing. The GTR does something similar, but relies more on braking at each wheel. You enter in a slight under steer in a corner, the computers will maximize torque to the needed wheel depending on your steering angle. Result is I can brake in, get some initial turn in and hammer the gas exiting the last bit of the turn radius. The GTR Nismo and the Evo, has these characteristics in GTS. The GTR Nismo in AC feels like a straight open diff AWD. I have to brake in a straight line, baby the throttle throughout the corner and as soon as I straighten up, then I can mash the throttle. Any type throttling beyond 40%, the car will continue to drift wide and I basically cant give any power exiting tight corners. Any let off should also help the car turn in mid corner.
I don't know, it's certain details like these that I notice that doesn't convince me.

Edit: One other thing is the brakes seem OP on the cars in AC. A bit excessive, unless the brake model they have are big brakes.

Here I agree with you. I mod cars in Assetto Corsa and you're conveying one of the things it doesn't do perfect.
Here we see the diff parameters in the drivetrain file for the GTR Nismo:

[DIFFERENTIAL]
POWER=0.50 ; differential lock under power. 1.0=100% lock - 0 0% lock
COAST=0.50 ; differential lock under coasting. 1.0=100% lock 0=0% lock
PRELOAD=0 ; preload torque setting

[AWD]
FRONT_SHARE=2
FRONT_DIFF_POWER=0.06
FRONT_DIFF_COAST=0.02
FRONT_DIFF_PRELOAD=0
CENTRE_DIFF_POWER=0
CENTRE_DIFF_COAST=0
CENTRE_DIFF_PRELOAD=1
REAR_DIFF_POWER=0.50
REAR_DIFF_COAST=0.50
REAR_DIFF_PRELOAD=10

[AWD2]
FRONT_DIFF_POWER=0.06
FRONT_DIFF_COAST=0.03
FRONT_DIFF_PRELOAD=0
CENTRE_RAMP_TORQUE=200.0
CENTRE_MAX_TORQUE=1.0
REAR_DIFF_POWER=0.50
REAR_DIFF_COAST=0.50
REAR_DIFF_PRELOAD=10

That's it. It can't do realistic YAW control like in the Lancer. and if there's tradeoff in a AWD vehicle, some aspects are going to be better or worse than others. Remember that the initial release was in 2013. The SAME year GT6 came out. Quite crazy to think about actually.

Where AC lacks in some areas (which you've found one of them), it makes up for in so many more aspects in my opinion. GTS does what it was designed to do and Assetto has been brought to it's status by people outside of the original company that made the game in the first place. I mean now we have moving people/marshalls, glowing exhausts, smoking brake disks, center console screens with working GPS maps the show the car driving real time on a road. And the cinematography is amazing at what people can do. This was made in Assetto Corsa:

You mention ACC, but I'm talking about AC and your comment regarding it having the best production car models. I shouldn't have to change the car setting to make the car feel better. I get that same response from people on reddit. From my real world experience and experience with the game, that's far from truth. Most sim elitists that brag that they play the best sim never set foot on a track in real life, not even auto x. I've had 6 years in my FRS and I can say AC handles the car awkwardly. I brake before a turn to shift the weight to the front tires and go for a turn in at 45 mph and give a little punch on the throttle and the car is still sending me in an understeer situation. Even when I let off throttle, the car is suppose to weight shift and rotate. When the car starts to slide, especially with the FRS, there is suppose to be a liner loss of grip right past the tire grip limit and it's fairly easy to recover. AC, the car hits limit and rotates itself like it has the inertia from a MR. The car feels like a FWD then an MR in all the wrong situations.
However, between GT Sport and AC, I was setting the same lap times.
I'm not going to get started on the GTR Nismo in AC. There is no reason my Evo on 245/40R18 Michelin PSS tires rotate around corners better than it in the game. It suffers from the same fate as the FRS. AC is weird in that, there is only one way to drive the car correctly and you can't explore your own style.
I have experience with two different drivetrain platforms and AC gets it all wrong. GTS, for production cars at least, has the more realistic model. I wont comment on race cars since I've never driven one.

Edit: So I jumped back on AC and I tried the FRS with the Street tires instead of the eco and it handles much better with the street. But the Ecos were a bit out of control. I still have major issues with the GTR Nismo's handling and understeer. It doesn't turn in at all.
Everybody sings praises for AC's physics model all of the time so it's refreshing to see someone critique it 👍

Man, some people really need to learn to use paragraphs.

I think AC production car representations is poor. The feedback adds in a lot of faux sensory details that are not representative of what you actually feel in real life. I have an FRS in real life and I tried it in the game. When launching in AC, the wheels vibrates violently. I know you can turn that down, but I can see why it may be convincing. GTS may feel dull at times, but the feedback is representative of what you would actually feel in a car. I posted my feeling on a previous post regarding the FRS in AC and my FRS irl. There is way too much understeer and once you lose any type of grip, it's over. Launching the car in AC and any type wheel movement throws the car into weird balance situation. It doesn't feel natural at all. Also, I don't think gravity is even simulated. I can sit in neutral at Laguna Seca corkscrew and the car wont move. And those infamous sausages and how they completely disrupt your car. I've watched a bit of MotorTrend hot laps at Laguna Seca and running over the sausages don't really affect the car's balance that much. I also compared the GTR in the game to my Evo X. The GTR Nismo has way too much understeer and feels like a fwd car. I track my Evo in real life and as I mentioned before, GTS has better production car physics than AC. I haven't had a chance to Play ACC as yet. I downloaded it, but my PC cant run it properly.

You mention ACC, but I'm talking about AC and your comment regarding it having the best production car models. I shouldn't have to change the car setting to make the car feel better. I get that same response from people on reddit. From my real world experience and experience with the game, that's far from truth. Most sim elitists that brag that they play the best sim never set foot on a track in real life, not even auto x. I've had 6 years in my FRS and I can say AC handles the car awkwardly. I brake before a turn to shift the weight to the front tires and go for a turn in at 45 mph and give a little punch on the throttle and the car is still sending me in an understeer situation. Even when I let off throttle, the car is suppose to weight shift and rotate. When the car starts to slide, especially with the FRS, there is suppose to be a liner loss of grip right past the tire grip limit and it's fairly easy to recover. AC, the car hits limit and rotates itself like it has the inertia from a MR. The car feels like a FWD then an MR in all the wrong situations.
However, between GT Sport and AC, I was setting the same lap times.
I'm not going to get started on the GTR Nismo in AC. There is no reason my Evo on 245/40R18 Michelin PSS tires rotate around corners better than it in the game. It suffers from the same fate as the FRS. AC is weird in that, there is only one way to drive the car correctly and you can't explore your own style.
I have experience with two different drivetrain platforms and AC gets it all wrong. GTS, for production cars at least, has the more realistic model. I wont comment on race cars since I've never driven one.

Edit: So I jumped back on AC and I tried the FRS with the Street tires instead of the eco and it handles much better with the street. But the Ecos were a bit out of control. I still have major issues with the GTR Nismo's handling and understeer. It doesn't turn in at all.

With testing in AC, do you drive a few laps first to get the tyres up to temp? It makes a HUGE difference in the handling.

I agree AC isn't perfect, but it does a lot of things better than GTS most of the time. Certain vanilla cars (non mods) in AC do have weird behaviour, because you have to remember Kunos was a small company back then and doesn't have the close relationship PD has with a lot of manufacturers (especially Japanese ones). I know that a lot of the cars in JDM pack don't have completely correct suspension geometry values for example - once this has been corrected with mods they drive a lot better. Also the vanilla AC physics engine wasn't made to handle sophisticated 4WD chassis electronics (because they only started off with RWD cars), so cars that rely a lot on them (e.g. GT-R Nismo, Alfa 155 TI DTM) just end up understeering a lot. If you excuse for these small details, the way the car behaves and the FFB in AC is leaps and bounds from anything in GT.

Conversely, I have agreed as well that road cars feel quite good in GT. But only if you put them on Comfort tyres and fix the default suspension/LSD (reduce rear toe and LSD Accel). Even then you still have the unsolved problem of relative lack of longitudinal tyre grip. And on supercars, lack of front & underbody downforce. When I drive the LaFerrari in AC it is sublime and I can relate to what Chris Harris says in his amazing triple test video. When I drive the LaFerrari in GT, it's like driving a V12 dragster and Ferrari forgot to put brakes and a chassis that can cope.

Certain cars are also exaggerated death traps in GT - like any RR old Porsche/RUF. The Yellowbird in AC is still difficult to drive, but you can dance on the limit a lot better because of better detail in physics and FFB.

FFs are also lacking lift off oversteer and torque steer behaviour in GT. You just get termianl understeer for days unless you put unrealistically sticky tyres. Embarrassingly, Driveclub even simulates these 2 things better than GT.

Race cars, there is no comparison. AC is already quite good but ACC just takes it to a whole new level. I admit, focusing on only a single car class gives them an advantage in this. But the problem of MR GT3s being a deathtrap at low speeds has been there since GT6 and never corrected. It's embarrassing given Gr.3 is the premier class in GTS. And it shows in the live events too - apart from Porsche in a single WT last year every winner has always been FR.

Once again I'm not just slagging off GT, and I'm not one of those blind AC fanboys. I've been playing GT since 1998 and I love the series to death because of its passion and attention to detail, but even I have to admit it got surpassed in physics a long time ago. Conversely, AC driving is incredible but its missing a lot of features, ACC as amazing as it is cannot be modded so it will always be limited in scope. No game is perfect and I play everything from NFS to GRID to DC to GT and AC because each game has their own strengths and weaknesses. Only if you play them all can you get the complete experience ;) 👍

AC and ACC are simcade at best, hope Kunos can do a complete physics revamp for next-gen. I think they do a good job trying to mimic performance numbers of the car but get the fundamental driving quite wrong which sucks the fun out of driving. Load transfer and tyre model are quite bad IMO. You can be ridiculously aggressive with the car and nothing bad happens. The more you turn over the limit, the more the car turns instead of getting more understeer. iRacing IMO is much better from the little I played of it as it seems only sim to kind of have a consequence for bad driving. Thing with iRacing though is it feels quite dated and over the limit driving feels quite bad. Feels like you have to drive like a robot and also you have to pay a lot for the privilege. rFactor 2 performance driving reminds me a bit of SRF GT days where you can be super aggressive to find ultimate speed and you can get away with really bad driving.

I rather play GTS which feels more fun pushing to the ragged edge and rewards smooth operation which makes it a big step up from previous GTs regarding tyre model. Feedback is quite lifelike on bumps with the subtle feedback from DS4, you can feel the car loading up. Sure the physics are a bit sketchy in places and there kind of feels like there is hand holding going on which allows people to get away with a lot of bad driving but it feels like it has a lot of good physics behind it. Also I think people are expecting too much from PS4's slow Jaguar CPU, real simulation battle will start next-gen now that developers have a serious bit of kit with a lot of computing power.

Amazing PDI partnering with Michelin. I remember reading up on TameTire a few months before announcement thinking why PDI don't partner with a tyre company like that. It is one of the best announcements IMO in GT history. That will help a lot due to the know-how from people who know what they are making with a lot of simulation background and resources rather than trying to reverse engineer like seems approach most PC consumer sims take and even GTS so that could be huge boost in terms of realism. If it gets too good, only bad side effect is it might kill off some PC sims. This should make most cars in GT feel quite predictable to drive and traction monsters going by how Michelin tyres tend to behave.

Noticed in all the big racing game franchises, how similar a lot of fundamental characteristics remain to what the same developers made decades ago. I guess they all get stuck in their programming ways. Hopefully PDI recruiting more staff can step their realism game up, they also seem quite open to pushing the virtual divide chasing the latest technologies.

AC and ACC are simcade at best, hope Kunos can do a complete physics revamp for next-gen. I think they do a good job trying to mimic performance numbers of the car but get the fundamental driving quite wrong which sucks the fun out of driving. Load transfer and tyre model are quite bad IMO. You can be ridiculously aggressive with the car and nothing bad happens. The more you turn over the limit, the more the car turns instead of getting more understeer. iRacing IMO is much better from the little I played of it as it seems only sim to kind of have a consequence for bad driving. Thing with iRacing though is it feels quite dated and over the limit driving feels quite bad. Feels like you have to drive like a robot and also you have to pay a lot for the privilege. rFactor 2 performance driving reminds me a bit of SRF GT days where you can be super aggressive to find ultimate speed and you can get away with really bad driving.

I rather play GTS which feels more fun pushing to the ragged edge and rewards smooth operation which makes it a big step up from previous GTs regarding tyre model. Feedback is quite lifelike on bumps with the subtle feedback from DS4, you can feel the car loading up. Sure the physics are a bit sketchy in places and there kind of feels like there is hand holding going on which allows people to get away with a lot of bad driving but it feels like it has a lot of good physics behind it. Also I think people are expecting too much from PS4's slow Jaguar CPU, real simulation battle will start next-gen now that developers have a serious bit of kit with a lot of computing power.

Amazing PDI partnering with Michelin. I remember reading up on TameTire a few months before announcement thinking why PDI don't partner with a tyre company like that. It is one of the best announcements IMO in GT history. That will help a lot due to the know-how from people who know what they are making with a lot of simulation background and resources rather than trying to reverse engineer like seems approach most PC consumer sims take and even GTS so that could be huge boost in terms of realism. If it gets too good, only bad side effect is it might kill off some PC sims. This should make most cars in GT feel quite predictable to drive and traction monsters going by how Michelin tyres tend to behave.

Noticed in all the big racing game franchises, how similar a lot of fundamental characteristics remain to what the same developers made decades ago. I guess they all get stuck in their programming ways. Hopefully PDI recruiting more staff can step their realism game up, they also seem quite open to pushing the virtual divide chasing the latest technologies.

LMAO!
m0118.gif

That was funny.

:lol:^^ wow.. AC and ACC tyre model is lightyears ahead of GT.

....Even with a hand controller.......;)

Make sure you compare apples to apples. ACC (on PC) is definitely light-years better. The massive computing available makes a difference, but AC on the PS4, using the same restrictions... GT Sport is light-years better.

Make sure you compare apples to apples. ACC (on PC) is definitely light-years better. The massive computing available makes a difference, but AC on the PS4, using the same restrictions... GT Sport is light-years better.
no - especially if we're going by light years.

With AC on ps4, one issue I had with the tire model is at a point it will not function, at least in gt3. There’s times and certain places where the car, pushed past it’s limit seems to just follow a pre programmed ‘slide state that’s unrecoverable’. The inputs you make have no influence on what happens. At least, that’s what I remember, that and whatever tires they have on Ferarris behave different. Ferrari is OP.
That’s annoying as well.
There’s just nothing about AC console that gave me a sense of accomplishment. I never felt where the edge was very well. PC2 you never seem to know either via ffb what you have to work with, or that was my experience.
With GTS you know what’s happening with the balance and the grip. If you don’t want to go past the limit it’s easy to tell when you’re in the grey area.
The reason ai deleted both pc2 and ac on console was really that.
The more I consider what’s out there I keep returning to GTS (big picture-cost-pc hassle etc)

Last edited:
I agree that on ac once the car starts to slide (especially gt3) then it's basically gone. To me it feels like the tyre temperature either rises too high too quickly, or the grip simulation is too sensitive to high temp.
However, the physics and feedback feel more detailed to me than GTS where the steering feels numb, bumps and kerbs don't really affect the car, and there's a nasty understeer push on throttle. I can have fun hotlapping in AC but i find it a little boring in gts. Admittedly i haven't played since the recent physics update as my wheel broke, i did hear it was meant to have been improved a little

I agree that on ac once the car starts to slide (especially gt3) then it's basically gone. To me it feels like the tyre temperature either rises too high too quickly, or the grip simulation is too sensitive to high temp.
However, the physics and feedback feel more detailed to me than GTS where the steering feels numb, bumps and kerbs don't really affect the car, and there's a nasty understeer push on throttle. I can have fun hotlapping in AC but i find it a little boring in gts. Admittedly i haven't played since the recent physics update as my wheel broke, i did hear it was meant to have been improved a little
I assume you mean physics update to GTS? Was there one? I turned it on a couple days after this thread and it was the same ol same ol. Tried 3 different cars, all the same thing. You turn into a corner, it starts turning then doesn't turn, does this wobble thing and then starts turning again. What's up with that? Every car does this, this is realistic to you guys? And as far as FFB, all there was, was dead weight on the wheel when I turned it, kerbs when you hit them and the near non existent bump in the road sporadically spread out.
Is there some different version of GTS that I missed that people are raving about?

As far as AC goes, it's a tad watered down for PS4. I most definitely don't get the car starting to slide with no recovery in GT3 cars on PC. In fact, it's a real nice feel on the wheel when the tyres start heating up, you get more FFB weight in the corners the hotter they get and when the rear starts to lose grip, the wheel gets lighter. Real easy to catch a slide. All cars really exhibit this nicely. You know when you hear the tyres start to squeel and the wheel starts getting lighter, you've reached the limit of the tyres grip. You either took the corner too fast or you're turning the wheel too much over the front tyres limit.

I assume you mean physics update to GTS? Was there one? I turned it on a couple days after this thread and it was the same ol same ol. Tried 3 different cars, all the same thing. You turn into a corner, it starts turning then doesn't turn, does this wobble thing and then starts turning again. What's up with that? Every car does this, this is realistic to you guys? And as far as FFB, all there was, was dead weight on the wheel when I turned it, kerbs when you hit them and the near non existent bump in the road sporadically spread out.
Is there some different version of GTS that I missed that people are raving about?

As far as AC goes, it's a tad watered down for PS4. I most definitely don't get the car starting to slide with no recovery in GT3 cars on PC. In fact, it's a real nice feel on the wheel when the tyres start heating up, you get more FFB weight in the corners the hotter they get and when the rear starts to lose grip, the wheel gets lighter. Real easy to catch a slide. All cars really exhibit this nicely. You know when you hear the tyres start to squeel and the wheel starts getting lighter, you've reached the limit of the tyres grip. You either took the corner too fast or you're turning the wheel too much over the front tyres limit.
This thread started nearly two tears ago. Is that the version of GTS you're comparing your highly modded PC version of AC to? Are you even running the same tyres as the console version of AC?

There's really no point in comparing the two (three if you count AC on PS4) as they are so far apart from each other. Even things like frame rates can make a difference in the perception of handling and the ability to catch a slide.

Re updates: There's been about twenty updates since this thread started ranging from bug fixes to physics and tyres changes. Here's one from January 2019: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/news/00_5854114.html

Ps: I have fun with both and don't find them all that different. As has been mentioned by others, I get a bit more feel of where the edge of traction is when sliding with GTS but I prefer the way the tyres react to temperature and pressure changes in AC. FFB is whole different kettle of fish when comparing the two, but that's best left for the appropriate thread.

The ghost slide in AC is a documented physics bug

In AC/ACC the front inner tyre will also take a big spike in load and rolling resistance, so it actually brakes for a moment and throws to the suspension more forces than it should. Those forces end up to the rear suspension and tyre in big spikes and the tyre loses even more grip. Usually in very stiff racecars, the inner rear tyre might even go airborne losing all grip and forcing the differential (if locked) to move even more torque to the outside rear tyre.

If during the whole process, you also remain on the accelerator, you will have a situation where the rear outside tyre pushes forward with less lateral grip while the front inner tyre pushes backwards. Practically you car is transformed to a tank with treads that move in different speeds.

This is why in AC/ACC if you modulate your accelerator the issue is practically non existent but also why if you stay on the accelerator the behaviour is exaggerated

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...oducing-the-5-point-tyre-model-for-acc.59307/

Also the drifting shouldn't need mods to feel good. On ps4 you cant mod so you have to keep the slides to a really shallow angle.

I play GTS daily. I don’t know why you feel the need to intentionally mischaracterize it so badly.
I’m just expressing what I know.
GTS does not make Nurb GP feel as if you are driving off road. Yes AC is immersive on ps4 if you like surface chatter.
However do not be so quick to decry the GTS tire model. The effect you describe with ffb lightening on a gt car when you are coming close to slipping is present.
Yes amazingly enough, tire squeal is gts tells you a ton, but especially with headphones or surround.
Yes curbs affect the car in GTS.
Yes there’s more than just dead weight in the ffb, for me it is quite informative, then again I have a good sense of feel and quite a few hours into it.
What’s great about gts is also the cars balance and weight orientation is communicated through the ffb quite well as well as suspension loading which is crucial to getting the racecars working, a lot of folks aren’t aggressive enough to begin to get some of the racecars working.
There’s an awful lot of depth there that’s not often expressed by folks.
It seems each time I personally try to share something in GTS it’s met with resistance.
I’m confused by this, but it’s ok.
I personally am not ashamed to say I prefer it to AC, to me AC on PS4 was not able to hold my interest to pursue it further. I’m sure I will end up with ACC at some point, but AC on PS4 just doesn’t present me with anything I guess interesting enough to look deeper.
Maybe uf there were daily races online I might be able to muster some motivation.
In fact, between AC and PC2 OVERALL FUN SCORE...PC2 blows AC away. I did spend quite a bit of time on PC2 playing Sonoma in the Porsche gt3. That one drives well in PC2. PC2 has much more to offer gameplay wise, but you have to spend waaasy too much time adjusting the game to set it to taste.

The ffb in that game just gave me so much trouble, maybe the tire model is fantastic, but not knowing how to interpret the ffb makes it difficult again to feel the car and what it’s doing, when it’s gonna snap or stop turning without warning...
Ultimately GTS tire model...I always know whereabouts I’m at. Makes it butt clench in races knowing that.
Can’t imsgine really racing gt cars in the other titles without many many hours of practice.
I have many hours in gts and not as much in other games so ymmv.
In GTS I am able to troubleshoot issues and adjust my inputs according to real world racing instruction that I have studied. So far it’s (after reflection) my inputs that result in the car doing things I don’t want, FAR more so than anything else.
Gts rewards fundamentally sound techniques.
Maybe it’s a little arcadish on what you can get away with, for me that’s fun.
At the end of the day, they are video games, play what’s fun.

Last edited:

I'm trying to figure out what the wobble effect you are talking about. Not sure if I notice anything like that.
As for FFB, in real life, if it wasn't due to the vibrations in the car, the weight of your wheel would feel dead. AC does incorporate this immersion into the FFB which is nice, but for overall wheel reaction, GTS is what you should be feeling through the wheel. Again with the curbs, AC is overly rough and overly exaggerated, which makes for nice immersion. Curbs are relatively flat near the tarmac edge and raise the further you go out, so you should feel it more. Overall AC is great with the immersion, but that's not how steering reacts in real life. Steering feel is actually really smooth.

I'm trying to figure out what the wobble effect you are talking about. Not sure if I notice anything like that.
As for FFB, in real life, if it wasn't due to the vibrations in the car, the weight of your wheel would feel dead. AC does incorporate this immersion into the FFB which is nice, but for overall wheel reaction, GTS is what you should be feeling through the wheel. Again with the curbs, AC is overly rough and overly exaggerated, which makes for nice immersion. Curbs are relatively flat near the tarmac edge and raise the further you go out, so you should feel it more. Overall AC is great with the immersion, but that's not how steering reacts in real life. Steering feel is actually really smooth.
Take any car. Any of them. Go to a corner and turn. The car starts to turn, then it doesn't, the front end sways away from the turn a bit, then it starts turning again. You can even see it in the replays or live broadcasts they do. Look at the Super GT races they just did the other day in GTS. I watched it for a couple minutes and you can see it there on a car that would never do that in real life.
AC is overly rough and over exaggerated? Turn the settings down then. There's a myriad of settings just for that. I can make it so I barely feel any kerbs at all. I can make AC feel just as lame as GTS if I want to. Not joking here. A little better than two (2) settings and that's all you get. GTS is what you "should" feel? They're games, no real car feels like any of them.

Take any car. Any of them. Go to a corner and turn. The car starts to turn, then it doesn't, the front end sways away from the turn a bit, then it starts turning again. You can even see it in the replays or live broadcasts they do. Look at the Super GT races they just did the other day in GTS. I watched it for a couple minutes and you can see it there on a car that would never do that in real life.
AC is overly rough and over exaggerated? Turn the settings down then. There's a myriad of settings just for that. I can make it so I barely feel any kerbs at all. I can make AC feel just as lame as GTS if I want to. Not joking here. A little better than two (2) settings and that's all you get. GTS is what you "should" feel? They're games, no real car feels like any of them.
I tested it with the Vette and a Gr.3 car and didn't notice it at all. I did it with the Evo and it does that, but that's just the nature of the yaw control in the AWD system in the car and the suspension. It does that irl. I watched the FIA races and didn't notice any of that at all. I've watched 30 mins of video looking for it. Can't find. Show me an example of it.

Going over a curb, you barely feel it in the wheel. I've driven over curbs many times. It a light response transmitted through the steering. Have you tracked a car before? AC makes the feeling strong for immersion. It's convincing and I understand why the made the default feedback like that. I drifted around corners with my Evo in real life. I did everything. Steering response is light. All feelings you think feel in the wheel is vibrations from the car not the feedback from the wheel. Suspension and dampeners absorb whatever energy is is transmitted to the steering wheel.

While I do like the range of settings AC has I wouldn't describe 5 settings (on PS4), three of which are canned effects, as a myriad of settings ;). I also think I vaguely remember one of the Devs from AC saying the best way to feel AC was with the canned effects off (Kerb, Road and Understeer Effects) and using just the FFB strength and Slip FFB that come directly from the physics engine.

I agree with @Firestone that it's vibrations from the car not the feedback from the wheel that's being felt much of the time. Many of the bumps should be felt through your butt rather than the wheel, but like @Firestone mentioned, it's done for immersion rather than reality... and that's why I have a Buttkicker :).

... and Gt Sport has three settings if you have a T-GT like I do. The third one does the canned effects via the transducer.

All these sims are good... just different in approach.

Back