Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I'm home later I'll take the BMW M6 GT3 out on the nordschleife with it's stock setup and see what the lap time difference is like. I'm on a ds4 but I know the car very well so I will notice a difference if there is any. If it I'd changed significantly I'll pick up on it within the first few corners.

I'll be doing the exact same thing, but with the 911 GT3 RS and a Logitech G29.

Tested the Ferrari 458 Italia completely stock on Suzuka. Here are my first impressions;

SH/SH tyres (no aids except ABS on Default). The car was practically undriveable on this set up pre-update, but I ended up losing track of time & putting in 7 laps; really enjoyed it too. I was also only 8 tenths off my pre-update time of 2'18.5 & that was on a SM/SS set up. The car is more manageable now, & it feels more intuitive to drive. However, many of the issues still seem to be there, but it just feels right.

Pre-update you had to put R1's on the rear to stop the weird wheel spin in 2nd gear (that actually felt like a short gear ratio & not wheel spin). This is no longer the case, & the wheel spin feels like wheel spin; you even get it with R1's on the back, but it feels much more natural now. I was running with split tyre combos before, but I don't feel that's necessary anymore.

There's a definite change for the better with the 1.23 update, although subtle, & things feel more manageable, progressive, natural, & intuitive.

It's a step in the right direction, & a thumbs up from me.

👍

Last edited:
I've only tested it with the Gr.4 GT-R on Suzuka. Will test it with the Gr.3. GT-R ,when i come home from work. Since its much harder to drive, maybe i'll feel more difference. Driven 8000 km's with that thang, so i must feel some sort of difference i guess.

I think the Tire model change is Ok Tryed the Gr3 GTR on Hards, 2 seconds slower but New tyre model doesnt mean you will be directly quicker as your previous laptimes will give it some time to find the limit and get used to this new Physics model.

Tyre model changes are small but noticeable for me. A little more "realistic" perhaps. Too early to tell. The crappiest most unrealistic dumb assed exponential throttle response ever remains to blight all cars though, especially the more powerful ones. Why PD....just why?.

Last edited:
One the one hand I look forward to it when its harder to control, but on the other hand -if our guess about beeing more slippery turns out correct- the CSA and/or TCS users will have more advantage.

I would vote for banning both from sport mode, but I guess it would be unfair to DS4 users

No no no, stop babying the ds4 guys. I have posted previously in other threads that i am purely on ds4 and have never had a wheel and i can keep up with the aliens pretty well. I finished 59th in manufacturers cup while only doing 5 races so the ds4 can compete just fine. And I am by no means at all one of the top ds4 guys. I have seen some guys on ds4 in the top leaderboards often. As with anything it takes practice but you don't need ANY aids in gtsport to be competitive on a ds4, none. I use ABS default, that's it but if i practiced more with it I could probably be faster with it off to be honest. TC and CSA should be banned if this is going to be a serious competition.

And even if the ds4 became uncompetitive somehow over time through the updates, then if i was serious about competing I would have to pick up a wheel. There are plenty of affordable options out there. To me though the assists cheapen the game and i feel bad for the guys who have serious time and money in their equipment who get beat by a guy on a ds4 on his couch 15 feet from his tv (people like me). The wheel and pedal users SHOULD have a strong advantage there and us ds4 guys should have to be absolutely heroic and mistake free to be roughly in the ballpark lap time wise.

That's how I see it anyhow.

I use a ds 4 and usually have tc set to 1 (I still have a habit of using the thumb stick as simply left and right)

Just did Suzuka in a Megane trophy and it felt very different for the first few laps. That car anyway doesn’t grip anywhere near like it used to (for me) but I do agree that it was easier to feel when you were at the limit on turning. Seemed “squealier” as well

No no no, stop babying the ds4 guys. I have posted previously in other threads that i am purely on ds4 and have never had a wheel and i can keep up with the aliens pretty well. I finished 59th in manufacturers cup while only doing 5 races so the ds4 can compete just fine. And I am by no means at all one of the top ds4 guys. I have seen some guys on ds4 in the top leaderboards often. As with anything it takes practice but you don't need ANY aids in gtsport to be competitive on a ds4, none. I use ABS default, that's it but if i practiced more with it I could probably be faster with it off to be honest. TC and CSA should be banned if this is going to be a serious competition.

And even if the ds4 became uncompetitive somehow over time through the updates, then if i was serious about competing I would have to pick up a wheel. There are plenty of affordable options out there. To me though the assists cheapen the game and i feel bad for the guys who have serious time and money in their equipment who get beat by a guy on a ds4 on his couch 15 feet from his tv (people like me). The wheel and pedal users SHOULD have a strong advantage there and us ds4 guys should have to be absolutely heroic and mistake free to be roughly in the ballpark lap time wise.

That's how I see it anyhow.

Why should TC be banned in sport races when it is used in real motor sport series? It is the same like ABS just the other way.

Tried the 96 Evo, which was one of my fav cars before the update, & it's definitely less lively. I could only drive AWD cars before, as they were the only ones that didn't try to kill me! But with the improvements to the trye model, which has made RWD cars less insane, it was bound to make AWD cars a little duller as a result. I can live with that.

The BMW M4 road car is still mad as a box of frogs as regards the rear end stepping out, but is more manageable just like the 458, & drives relatively well on SH/SH tyres now.

So far, VBR is a happy bunny...

:D

VBR
Tried the 96 Evo, which was one of my fav cars before the update, & it's definitely less lively. I could only drive AWD cars before, as they were the only ones that didn't try to kill me! But with the improvements to the trye model, which has made RWD cars less insane, it was bound to make AWD cars a little duller as a result. I can live with that.

The BMW M4 road car is still mad as a box of frogs as regards the rear end stepping out, but is more manageable just like the 458, & drives relatively well on S1/S1 tyres now.

By S1 you mean hards or softs? Can you now push it to limits without killing yourself certainly?

Good to hear, doesn't it feel better to use SS tyres then? Cause you said it drives "relatively well".

There's slightly more balance to the cars now, & the tyres feel more natural. Not a huge amount of difference between SH/SH & SS/SS, just a bit more grip. And, I prefer the SH/SH tyres anyway. At least I'm not having to run split tyre compounds like before, which would've been hard to enforce in online lobbies.

The 458 is still letting go in 3rd & 4th gear, but it feels more manageable, & more intuitive to control with the throttle. This car should be hard to drive on the limit without aids, & it is. It should also require deft throttle control, & it does. It should be faster without aids (TC & ASM), & a bit slower with them; not tested that yet. The difference now is that it's not unrealistically hard to drive like before, but feels realistically hard to drive (if that makes any sense). It's not 100% right, but it's better than it was.

Common Guys give it some time and practice and Before judgement and before Crying out Loud.
No your car wont feel the same after its a new tyre model:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Common Guys give it some time and practice and Before judgement and before Crying out Loud.
No your car wont feel the same after its a new tyre model:banghead::banghead::banghead:
I'm sorry but no. You need a 5 second video of 458's stansdstill acceleration if you know how the car accelerates in real life. Street semislick tires are now very well made and offer superb traction.

People can change their vote in the poll if they change their mind. So, all the guys who voted "Dunno" can update their choice when they feel more sure.

👍

VBR

The BMW M4 road car is still mad as a box of frogs as regards the rear end stepping out, but is more manageable just like the 458, & drives relatively well on SH/SH tyres now.

Well I won't know until this evening whether I like the new model or not, but I actually quite liked the the 911 GT3 RS trying to kill me on a regular basis. The challenge for me was to tame the beast, and I got quite good at it if I may say so myself.

Well I won't know until this evening whether I like the new model or not, but I actually quite liked the the 911 GT3 RS trying to kill me on a regular basis. The challenge for me was to tame the beast, and I got quite good at it if I may say so myself.

I also love the challenge of taming a beast, but only when it feels realistically hard, before the update it just felt unrealistically hard to me in cars like the 911 GT3. Not tried the Porsche yet, but the M4 & 458 feel improved to me.

You need a 5 second video of 458's stansdstill acceleration if you know how the car accelerates in real life. Street semislick tires are now very well made and offer superb traction.

You'd also have to know whether the car in the video had launch control on. Or whether it had either TC or ESP on, or both, or neither. Also, how did the driver handle the throttle; did he floor it & hope for the best, or did he show some skill & control? GT Sport has no launch control anyway.

I tested from a standing start in the 458 with SH/SH, SH/SM, SH/SS, & SH/R1, & I got wheel spin with all of them - but it felt realistic & not like before. I was also giving it 100% throttle each time & with all aids off. With TC on it no longer acts/feels like launch control, & you still get wheel spin. However, with throttle control you can get a better launch, not endless wheel spin like before. Also, when racing & coming out of the hair pin going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd; you can control the throttle much more now & don't get insanely unrealistic wheel spin. Anyway, I'm not so concerned with standing starts as I am with car behaviour during general racing.

VBR
You'd also have to know whether car in the video had launch control on. Or whether it had either TC or ESP on, or both, or neither. Also, how did the driver handle the throttle; did he floor it & hope for the best, or did he show some skill & control? GT Sport has no launch control anyway.

I tested from a standing start in the 458 with SH/SH, SH/SM, SH/SS, & SH/R1, & I got wheel spin with all of them - but it felt realistic & not like before. I was also giving it 100% throttle each time & with all aids off. With TC on it no longer acts/feels like launch control, & you still get wheel spin. However, with throttle control you can get a good launch, not endless wheel spin like before. Also, when racing & coming out of the hair pin going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd; you can control the throttle much more now & don't get insanely unrealistic wheel spin. Anyway, I'm not so concerned with standing starts as I am with car behaviour during general racing.
That's what I needed! ThNks a lot!

Of course the car's wheels spin under 100% throttle without any TC, that's perfectly natural! I can't wait to try it myself! :)

Gonna be a couple days until I can test it with my G29 so for now I am all eyes on this thread. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Has anyone tried rally with the new tire model?
Someone already wrote that rallying is much improved. Well, weknow it's definitely different :D

Back