Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 1,339 comments
As far as I can recall, the '16 Audi R18 in GT Sport is not the Le Mans spec. I believe it's the Fuji spec. The most notable difference is the curvature of the front fenders where the headlights are. The Le Mans car has a more vertical headlight housing, where the Fuji car has a more curved profile.
Bahrain spec.

I've noticed changes in all of my Gr3 cars that theres alot of understeer now. No matter how you set the car up. I use to run between 6:06-6:09 with 18 Gr3 cars on the Nurburgring Nordschleife now I can barely make 6:15. No matter how I set the car up I can no longer run those fast lap times. This is very frustrating. I really enjoy Gran Turismo, however with these physics it has really ruined my driving experience.

For me the physics is completely wrong for the R18, there's not enough downforce (it was regarded as having the most downforce in LMP1 at the time) and the Porsche 919 feels to have more downforce which is incorrect in comparison to real-world.

Also, it behaves like it's in the 8 megajoule class of hybrid power and accelerates more than the Toyota, this again is incorrect as Audi were down on hybrid power: it was in the 6 megajoule class while Porsche and Toyota were in the 8 megajoule class.

Having been trackside and seen the car in person, I can also tell you that the body language of the car through the corners is also completely wrong.

Too bad the R18 is now retired :(

Carry on...

The bottom line here is the game makes sense. The ffb to physics and what one needs to do. It all makes sense.
A person can argue well car x shouldn’t do this or that, or there’s too much understeer across the board fine...
But any good driver knows what to do, knows how to induce both under and over steer in a car.
I think some folks just constantly use too much steering angle and then complain about understeer.
I dunno, whatever you think about the games balance as it is right now, it’s far better than the ridiculous hit throttle mid corner, slide the rear and magically overrotate and simultaneously grab traction and accelerate that was happening before.
That was exploits, not very realistic imo.

After reading this, I may just set my wheel up again at the weekend.

I've been busy, and also getting my FPS fix (Apex legends) over the past months, and all the tampering PD have done I thought, "I'll let them get it sorted" before coming back and getting on the grind again.

The changes got frustrating, as well as the tyre deg in races, but lets see if a bit of track time re kindles my love of on line racing :)

What I've done to combat the over exaggerated understeer in my Gr3 cars after setting the car up for more grip, I changed my G29 wheel rotation from 900 degrees to 500 degrees. Although I still have the understeer, with the 500degree the car drives a bit better. After these past few updates the understeer has become extremely exaggerated which affects my lap times. Thats very disappointing.

He didn’t. It’s impossible, because GT Sport overwrites whatever rotation you apply with PC.

The funny thing is, he’s changed absolutely nothing but thinks he feels a difference. Placebo is wild, isn’t it?

Its possible to change wheel rotation degrees with a Fanatec.

How did you do that?
I installed the Logitech G29 software to my laptop
-plugged the wheel in
- Launched the software. At the lower right corner you will see a wheel aand pedals
- Click the wheel and screen will pop up
-At the top of the wheel you will see a smaller wheel with a drop down arrow.
-Click the arrow then you will see the option to adjust your wheel.

Please remember what ever adjustments you make to your wheel and or pedals you must save them by clicking the drop down arrow next to your default profile at the top of the screen.

Once saved the settings will stay for the PS4, XBox (logitech wheel), and PC.

If you need me to take snapshots of the steps, I will just let me know.

He didn’t. It’s impossible, because GT Sport overwrites whatever rotation you apply with PC.

The funny thing is, he’s changed absolutely nothing but thinks he feels a difference. Placebo is wild, isn’t it?
Please dont answer for me. If you haven't tried it then no need to comment. The wheel adjustment works.

Please dont answer for me. If you haven't tried it then no need to comment. The wheel adjustment works.

I mean it’s been well established since launch that GT Sport over-writes the settings that you apply with the Logitech software. Every car has a custom d.o.r in game that will default your G29 to. Thrustmaster wheels have the same issue, you have to re-apply the settings every time you enter the track. Like I said this is well established and for the sake of posterity, you shouldn’t be spreading this info around without a thorough re-test. Because it absolutely does not work.

For me with 900 degrees with the past few updates didn't work for me. With the rotation change it does. I don't understand the entire mechanics of, however it works for me. My laptimes are lower with the 500 degree rotation vs the 900 degree rotation.

If you have the wheel try it out see if there's a difference for you.

I also changed my breaking strength. It helps alot with late breaking and trail breaking.

The wheel and pedal adjustments really helped me lower my lap times on the Nurburgring, Dragon Trail Seaside, Brands hatch, and all the Tokyo tracks

There is a way to change rotation by hardware in G25, maybe give that a try? AFAIK changing by software on PC doesn't do anything for my G25+Drivehub on PS4.

Easiest way to test rotation would be pick an open wheel car and see at what lock the front wheels stop turning. IIRC, even at default "900" degree the front wheels stop turning at 180 degree steering wheel rotation. I would suggest not change the rotation in GT Sport. Each car already has their own steering ratio adjusted to work with the default 900 degree steering. If you're getting faster laptimes with 500 degree, then something must be wrong with your driving technique.

I also changed my breaking strength. It helps alot with late breaking and trail breaking.

The wheel and pedal adjustments really helped me lower my lap times on the Nurburgring, Dragon Trail Seaside, Brands hatch, and all the Tokyo tracks
Maybe thats the reason we cant change in the game , same for everybody.

Most cars handle far far better but still some cars feel like they are the same crap as the first day... for example the Kart.

Edit: just did the Sardegna track experience event... The Peugeot VGT GR3 is also the same piece of crap as the firs day. The bad default setup is partly responsible, but still...
Understeers at mid-high speed, and oversteers wildly at low speed when you apply a tiny % excess throttle... I dont think its possible that a real life car behaves this bad. As much as I like driving, its not fun at all to drive this thing

Last edited:
I've noticed changes in all of my Gr3 cars that theres alot of understeer now. No matter how you set the car up. I use to run between 6:06-6:09 with 18 Gr3 cars on the Nurburgring Nordschleife now I can barely make 6:15. No matter how I set the car up I can no longer run those fast lap times. This is very frustrating. I really enjoy Gran Turismo, however with these physics it has really ruined my driving experience.

Yeaaa.. despite being a huge advocate for the initial changes (which were great) idk if something changed or what but the under-steer while on throttle (which is a real thing) is definitely over exaggerated now.

Sounds like Forza 7. Oversteer on braking, understeer on throttle with a neutral setup.

Which when you consider weight transfer, is 100% intuitive and realistic.
I was talking with a friend a while ago, he's played some racing games in the past but it's been more or less a decade now and he hasn't even seen GT Sport in the flesh but somehow the talk turned into gaming and at one point I mentioned the massive outcry about the latest physics change. As soon as I had said that people are pretty much digging up torches and pitchforks because the cars, in their opinion, now oversteer uncontrollably during braking and understeer uncontrollably on throttle he was practically crying with laughter with only one thing to say.

"You mean they're throwing a *bleep*ing fit because it's become more realistic?"

I was talking with a friend a while ago, he's played some racing games in the past but it's been more or less a decade now and he hasn't even seen GT Sport in the flesh but somehow the talk turned into gaming and at one point I mentioned the massive outcry about the latest physics change. As soon as I had said that people are pretty much digging up torches and pitchforks because the cars, in their opinion, now oversteer uncontrollably during braking and understeer uncontrollably on throttle he was practically crying with laughter with only one thing to say.

"You mean they're throwing a *bleep*ing fit because it's become more realistic?"
I've had similar experiences; most of my mates on PSN don't even own a racing game. I never minded the change, it made a lot of road cars better and made the gt3 cars way less needlessly squirrely out of corners. I don't understand how understeering with throttle at 100% and the wheel fully locked is so unrealistic, and most everyone outside this forum that I've spoken to agrees.

I hate understeer - hate, hate, hate it, it's the worst feeling in the world, but it's a real feeling and it definitely has a place in GTS - just as taming the oversteer did, it rewards those with better cornering technique and throttle control, except this way round if you get it wrong, you run wide and have to back off, as opposed to spinning and losing your whole race.

People will get up in arms over change just because it's change. We don't like our routines and comforts being disturbed, even if plainly for the best. I find the understeery physics give me a much better idea of when i'm pushing too hard and when I can get more out of a corner, than the pre-1.39 just-keep-the-back-in-line handling did.

I never minded the change, it made a lot of road cars better and made the gt3 cars way less needlessly squirrely out of corners. I don't understand how understeering with throttle at 100% and the wheel fully locked is so unrealistic, and most everyone outside this forum that I've spoken to agrees.
Only quoting a part of your post because I don't like huge quote walls but this causes an alert. But indeed... if anything, it's more logical now. To be honest I haven't felt such a huge difference in any car class and I routinely drive everything from prototypes to road cars on comfort tyres but it might also be my driving style at play there. Perhaps a tad more oversteer under braking but I like it that way anyway, perhaps a tad more understeer on throttle - but still very possible to spin a GT3 car in second gear, definitely no magic grip as some make it sound like.

Having driven real RWD cars daily for nearly 12 years, breaking traction is a lot more difficult than games make it seem. Even on a snowy road with around 200 bhp and 300 Nm on tap, full throttle causes mostly understeer already at city speeds and it only gets more pronounced as the speed increases as the power needed to spin the tyres goes up - and by a lot. The car is a heavy object, it wants to retain its trajectory more than anything else, and the rear tyres are only getting more grip from weight transfer the more you step on it while the nose gets lighter. Sure, a GT3 car has three times the power but it also has easily three times the mechanical grip, not to mention downforce from the very sizable rear wing being effective at surprisingly low speeds.

Only quoting a part of your post because I don't like huge quote walls but this causes an alert. But indeed... if anything, it's more logical now. To be honest I haven't felt such a huge difference in any car class and I routinely drive everything from prototypes to road cars on comfort tyres but it might also be my driving style at play there. Perhaps a tad more oversteer under braking but I like it that way anyway, perhaps a tad more understeer on throttle - but still very possible to spin a GT3 car in second gear, definitely no magic grip as some make it sound like.

Having driven real RWD cars daily for nearly 12 years, breaking traction is a lot more difficult than games make it seem. Even on a snowy road with around 200 bhp and 300 Nm on tap, full throttle causes mostly understeer already at city speeds and it only gets more pronounced as the speed increases as the power needed to spin the tyres goes up - and by a lot. The car is a heavy object, it wants to retain its trajectory more than anything else, and the rear tyres are only getting more grip from weight transfer the more you step on it while the nose gets lighter. Sure, a GT3 car has three times the power but it also has easily three times the mechanical grip, not to mention downforce from the very sizable rear wing being effective at surprisingly low speeds.
Agreed, it is still easy to break the rear loose in gr 3, especially in certain cars like the Hyundai, and usually like you say in 2nd gear. However, pre update I lost the rear a lot more, and sometimes through corners that could be taken at reasonable speed in 3rd gear, where the aero + mechanical grip should make it basically impossible for the rear to just step out like that; you'd better believe that if an engineer is going to put 450-600BHP in a car intended to race, they're going to make absolutely sure that power can be put to the road, so it never made sense to me that the gr 3 cars required so much care on the throttle, even when carrying reasonable speed. I can get behind the current model, because it again rewards a bit of technique and knowledge, rather than just allowing the bravest driver to stomp throttle at full lock in 2nd gear and be the fastest.

Agreed, it is still easy to break the rear loose in gr 3, especially in certain cars like the Hyundai, and usually like you say in 2nd gear. However, pre update I lost the rear a lot more, and sometimes through corners that could be taken at reasonable speed in 3rd gear, where the aero + mechanical grip should make it basically impossible for the rear to just step out like that; you'd better believe that if an engineer is going to put 450-600BHP in a car intended to race, they're going to make absolutely sure that power can be put to the road, so it never made sense to me that the gr 3 cars required so much care on the throttle, even when carrying reasonable speed. I can get behind the current model, because it again rewards a bit of technique and knowledge, rather than just allowing the bravest driver to stomp throttle at full lock in 2nd gear and be the fastest.

The problem arises in real world race cars that the engineers cannot add unlimited grip at the rear for corner exit traction because generally what you do to increase bite will also cause the rear end to wheel hop under hard braking. Forward bite and braking bite must be delicately balanced which is pretty much true for everything on a real life race car. My experience suggests the game was better before the last physics update, if you are using all of your available tire grip for cornering it only requires slight throttle application to spin the rear tires. With RH tires currently it is my opinion the cars have excessive rear bite and the front end pushes far too much in corners. Maybe the problem is the default chassis settings, when I see guys going faster with positive camber at either end of the car there is something off about the game. It would be nice if PD gave tire temps, outside, middle, and inside of tires so we could maybe actually try to set up the chassis if we choose to.

[...]if you are using all of your available tire grip for cornering it only requires slight throttle application to spin the rear tires.
Yes, but many race cars use understeering setups, like this. He can use quite a bit of throttle on exit, because the inside front tire is unloaded, and he waits until the exit point to 100% pin it. Examples at 0:22 and 1:32.

Maybe the problem is the default chassis settings[...]
Do you mean, developing and troubleshooting tires under mediocre suspensions? I think that's how T10 broke FM7's tires. Triggered. :banghead:

Last edited:
Back