Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 1,339 comments
Yes, but many race cars use understeering setups, like this. He can use quite a bit of throttle on exit, because the inside front tire is unloaded, and he waits until the exit point to 100% pin it. Examples at 0:22 and 1:32.

Do you mean, developing and troubleshooting tires under mediocre suspensions? I think that's how T10 broke FM7's tires. Triggered. :banghead:

Very cool video. I wish that the left side of the screen showed you the view from behind the wheel instead, I think you would get a better idea of side load still on the chassis when he goes full throttle.

Side load decreases a bit, you can see the steering column u-joint, he unwinds it as he adds throttle. The front tires do go light and understeer a little but if he turned full into the corner (during the exit) I think it would oversteer.

Here's another video, pedal cam of a GT3 car. After 0:22, he doesn't apply full throttle until 110mph. Catches some oversteer at 0:26, 100mph.

Is GTS more forgiving than this?

Last edited:
Haven’t used the Xbow in a very long while but using it for today’s FIA Nation and wow, it’s a joy to drive now, even with hard sport tires! And it shines on this track too (East Maggiore).

10x tire wear and it’s easily the fastest car towards the end of the race.

Well done PD

this fake accelerated wear
This fake accelerated wear is only there because of the length of the races in question. If the tire wear were 1x, the FIA Nations race today would basically not offer any extra challenge (pit strategy/tire and fuel management) beyond racing the other drivers. For example, the F50 gets to about 70% tread on the front tires by the 17th lap. On normal, real world tire wear, that amount of wear is so far outside the context of the race (I'm guessing somewhere in the 100s of laps but I'm bad at math) that it renders the whole point of having tire wear moot as it has zero impact on the race.

This fake accelerated wear is only there because of the length of the races in question. If the tire wear were 1x, the FIA Nations race today would basically not offer any extra challenge (pit strategy/tire and fuel management) beyond racing the other drivers. For example, the F50 gets to about 70% tread on the front tires by the 17th lap. On normal, real world tire wear, that amount of wear is so far outside the context of the race (I'm guessing somewhere in the 100s of laps but I'm bad at math) that it renders the whole point of having tire wear moot as it has zero impact on the race.

It’s still no where that level though, you’d think you wear driving on super/ultra softs.
The fronts are like 25-50% more cooked than the rears even when setting the BB to the highest, the marker shows 50% red and it becomes nearly impossible to keep on the track without braking earlier to compensate.

I noticed a issue with street cars vs before the physics update. I spent a lot of time driving the Mclaren 650 N700 in stock form, car was great for just playing around with oversteer. Now? Understeer city. And I’m not talking on the limit mid corner understeer. 2nd gear low speed mid corner floor it .......understeerrrrrrr for days. You cannot get it to slide......wtf???

I noticed a issue with street cars vs before the physics update. I spent a lot of time driving the Mclaren 650 N700 in stock form, car was great for just playing around with oversteer. Now? Understeer city. And I’m not talking on the limit mid corner understeer. 2nd gear low speed mid corner floor it .......understeerrrrrrr for days. You cannot get it to slide......wtf???

I've been messing around with the settings, trying to tune this out. I'm not having a lot of sucess. But the more important question is, why should I be trying to induce oversteer and wheelspin in a MT car? And good gosh, does the real McLaren have this problem?

I've been messing around with the settings, trying to tune this out. I'm not having a lot of sucess. But the more important question is, why should I be trying to induce oversteer and wheelspin in a MT car? And good gosh, does the real McLaren have this problem?

Real car doesn’t have this problem. I should be able to induce oversteer at will in the 650.

Fast forward to 8:10. I should be able to control the car with the throttle.....instead it’s a epic mess of understeer.

Real car doesn’t have this problem. I should be able to induce oversteer at will in the 650.

Fast forward to 8:10. I should be able to control the car with the throttle.....instead it’s a epic mess of understeer.

That clip isn't a very good example, the track was damp/wet :odd:.

2.png

I dare say it's very easy to do that on GT Sports's wet tracks ;).

That clip isn't a very good example, the track was damp/wet :odd:.

View attachment 854863

I dare say it's very easy to do that on GT Sports's wet tracks ;).

It’s not perfect, but it shows the balance of the car.

Here’s a better one for ya, can’t do this in GT Sport anymore. It used to drive just like this. Fast forward to 3:54

Here’s a better one for ya, can’t do this in GT Sport anymore. It used to drive just like this. Fast forward to 3:54

Yeah that's better 👍.

What tyres are you running? I just had a quick go with it dead stock (with the DS4) and had no problem whipping the tail out and keeping it balanced in a drift. First go too, I surprised myself :lol:.

Yeah that's better 👍.

What tyres are you running? I just had a quick go with it dead stock (with the DS4) and had no problem whipping the tail out and keeping it balanced in a drift. First go too, I surprised myself :lol:.

I’ll have to double check when I get home, I believe the stock are Sport Softs.

You just don’t know what to do in a car and your vision must be impaired.

Granted the cars need to have more snap oversteer that is almost impossible to recover but then your still lacking skill and abilities so you just can’t win mate.
Hope that understands your mind to a contentment level

@Max_apex

Much more fun, rewarding and a good way of preparing sim racers for the real-world if they ever get the chance to go that route.

Particularly with high grip cars, they would be most efficient being close to, or on the limit creating maximum adhesion, with the intention of delaying sliding until the car rotates (max grip is generated initially in the turn since a greater force is required to get the car to slide than it is to keep it sliding).

Of course, some cars setup like that would be viewed as having an unfair advantage compared to the other cars since the more forgiving ones will have to be driven harder to get the extra grip that still wouldn't be comparable.

PD have it sussed that they don't want the few oversteer merchants like Fuvaros or Muira etc in GT having an unfair advantage over those that have worked hard to get the experience to be similar in speed in forgiving cars.

Here's an example of the 2019 Porsche 935 which helps explain the massive grip but with twitchy handling. It looks to be relatively light (less than 1200 kg) with quite a bit of ride height which makes it nervous.

Last edited:
Nah, stock they're Sports Hards. That could be your problem.

Yep mine were on Sport Softs, still absurd that it has trouble with those. Switched to Sports Hards, better but still unrealistic understeer under power. Sliding this car on street tires should be effortless, especially at low speeds being a hooligan. Instead it starts to rotate and then the front pushes like its awd.

Though.......my Fanatec wheel is also currently having issues.....so I’m not ruling that out as a problem. I have to send it in for repairs so I’ll test it again after the repair.

You just don’t know what to do in a car and your vision must be impaired.

Granted the cars need to have more snap oversteer that is almost impossible to recover but then your still lacking skill and abilities so you just can’t win mate.
Hope that understands your mind to a contentment level

Ummm??? Lol yeah no.

Sorry but none of what you just said applies to me. I’ve put 911’s through Eau Rouge sideways in the rain in real life. See that 934.5 in my user pic. You’ve got me confused with someone else “mate”. Also not sure where the “vision must be impaired” came from.

Comparing our stats, your SR/DR is all over the map. Im far more consistent than you are and I’m typically within a second of the top time. Even time trials I’m usually top 50 globally. So no, I know exactly what to do in a car “mate”. And the physics regarding over/understeer on this car in particular are rubbish. Somethings off on it IMO........I only have experience with GT3’s, GT2’s, GT3 RS, GT2 RS along with a laundry list of other cars to go by.

Street tires are not prone to unrecoverable snap oversteer, they are not race slicks which go from loads of grip to snap oversteer in a instant.

“So you just can’t win mate” which is amusing since I have a 45% win rate to your 26%. Along with my 92% podium rate.

Might want to know who you’re talking with before jumping to condescending conclusions ;)

EDIT:
Decided to plug your username into youtube, gotta study up on ya. The reason for your DR/SR inconsistency was blatantly obvious. You have zero race craft...... like non existent.

For one you are constantly making contact with other cars, especially under braking where you don't leave enough room. You make absurd divebomb passes when you have zero rights to the corner. Watched you brake check a guy at Mt Panorama on the uphill section nearly causing a wreck., what are you 12?? Then at Suzuka you were weaving all over the front straight to block a guy from passing and then you went off in turn 1 anyways lol. Another race at Suzuka you turned in on a guy while trying to pass in 180R, you hit him and mess yourself up and then had the audacity to call him dirty lol. then at Dragontail weaving all over the track in the braking zone. These are childish antics that would see you banned from a real track.

You get way too much slip angle on corner entry which destroys your exit speed. Your use of hood cam is also working against you as you're constantly having to hit the back view button and making mistakes because of it and effectively being blind. Combine that with a total lack of spatial awareness or understanding of where your opponents are going to be based on their line.

It also looks like you set a respectable fast lap time in practice, but you cant replicate it repeatedly. Then when you're in the race you are pushing past your abilities and making constant mistakes. You would be faster if you focused on setting repeatable lap times. You also drive as if nobody else is on the track sometimes and it just gets you into more trouble.

Also when approaching two cars battling in front of you, don't jump right into the middle at the last second, for one it leaves you no ability to make a pass. Give some room and pass them by using a faster exit speed while they slow each other down. Other times you are too close on corner entry and then rear end them mid corner/exit. Leave some room on entry and youll blow by them at corner exit, you just need to work on the spatial awareness and understanding of how to place your car for a pass.

You've got a lot of stuff to work on "Mate" ;)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back