Power-assisted steering and drifting

United States
United States
phil1012
Does anyone use this setting to drift with a wheel?

I am having some trouble learning to drift with my DFGT. I think the problem is that I have no sensation of lateral motion. Whenever I start a drift I can never seem to tell what my front wheels are doing. I'm not sure what the feedback in the wheel should feel like when initiating and holding a drift. Should it feel just like in does in normal cornering where you balancing the force of your steering input with the feedback force to maintain traction the whole time, and then just use throttle to control the back end? When I try to initiate a drift I seem to lose that balance of steering and feedback force and can never find it again before spinning or snapping back in the opposite direction.

I tried turning power-assisted steering on and I can't tell specifically what it's doing, but sometimes I feel like it might be helping. I have more success maintaining that balance in small angle slides, but I still can't correct for larger angles.

Last edited:
I haven't tried power steering, but I should imagine it would dull the feedback.

I'm also on a dfgt. I find, when correcting oversteer during racing, I keep my hands planted, and countersteer with crossed arms if necessary.

When drifting, you want the front wheels to always be pointing in the direction of intended movement, with the throttle keeping the rear in a balanced slide with careful inputs.

I tend to, when drifting purposely with high angle entries, throw the wheel round into the countersteer, then catch it at the right moment (this is what takes the practice). If I catch it perfectly, I can make tiny 'nudging' adjustments with the wheel to control the line of the front end. If I get this perfect, I can have almost as much control over my line and the car, as i would if the car was in a grip state.

Your are thinking along the right lines. Its just difficult getting used to using fast, harsh inputs, alongside slower, more subtle, inputs.

Once you have the catch and balance down, it's a case of winding the steering off at the same rate as the car straightening out, to lengthen the drift into the straight.

Practice practice practice.

I use dfgt with ffb on 5 no power steering.

Low ffb can help you to feel more confident in using fast inputs, without a straining the motor. Higher ffb can help the wheel self centre (the front wheels want to point in the direction of travel), but can make fast inputs daunting with the thought of breaking your wheel.

A well set up car can be drifted with very gentle steering inputs. Gentle weight transfer feint, to full throttle hands off countersteer, catch the wheel and ease off and on the throttle with a blip to settle the rear, balanced drift through the corner, then 'nudge' the front out away from the apex towards the exit, and wind the lock off in time with the cars rotation. All with a very light grip on the wheel, almost letting it do what it wants, and just helping it along, and gently guiding in the direction you want.

Easier said than done, I agree.

I have had great fun at Stowe, nice and slow with some great corners. The last corner in particular, after the little left right left right, then a nice big left hander horse shoe, into a sweeping right onto the straight. Very satisfying to get right, and you can put the rear wheels "off track" and still maintain controll as long as one tyre is still on the track.

Good luck.

I haven't tried power steering, but I should imagine it would dull the feedback.

I'm also on a dfgt. I find, when correcting oversteer during racing, I keep my hands planted, and countersteer with crossed arms if necessary.

When drifting, you want the front wheels to always be pointing in the direction of intended movement, with the throttle keeping the rear in a balanced slide with careful inputs.

I tend to, when drifting purposely with high angle entries, throw the wheel round into the countersteer, then catch it at the right moment (this is what takes the practice). If I catch it perfectly, I can make tiny 'nudging' adjustments with the wheel to control the line of the front end. If I get this perfect, I can have almost as much control over my line and the car, as i would if the car was in a grip state.

Your are thinking along the right lines. Its just difficult getting used to using fast, harsh inputs, alongside slower, more subtle, inputs.

Once you have the catch and balance down, it's a case of winding the steering off at the same rate as the car straightening out, to lengthen the drift into the straight.

Practice practice practice.

I use dfgt with ffb on 5 no power steering.

Low ffb can help you to feel more confident in using fast inputs, without a straining the motor. Higher ffb can help the wheel self centre (the front wheels want to point in the direction of travel), but can make fast inputs daunting with the thought of breaking your wheel.

A well set up car can be drifted with very gentle steering inputs. Gentle weight transfer feint, to full throttle hands off countersteer, catch the wheel and ease off and on the throttle with a blip to settle the rear, balanced drift through the corner, then 'nudge' the front out away from the apex towards the exit, and wind the lock off in time with the cars rotation. All with a very light grip on the wheel, almost letting it do what it wants, and just helping it along, and gently guiding in the direction you want.

Easier said than done, I agree.

I have had great fun at Stowe, nice and slow with some great corners. The last corner in particular, after the little left right left right, then a nice big left hander horse shoe, into a sweeping right onto the straight. Very satisfying to get right, and you can put the rear wheels "off track" and still maintain controll as long as one tyre is still on the track.

Good luck.
Im on DFGt drifter as well! don't forget that good drift tunes can make a huge difference, it's good to get a tune that have been tested on the wheel id love to drift with you two add me up: nismoguy89

Im on DFGt drifter as well! don't forget that good drift tunes can make a huge difference, it's good to get a tune that have been tested on the wheel id love to drift with you two add me up: nismoguy89
Mate, I'd love to but I'm offline only im afraid.

I agree, when drifting properly, a good setup can help alot. I do all my own setups on the wheel, and alot of them see constant revisions to specific tracks.

I've been using the Holden Monaro with the tune here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtplanets-drift-setting-library.291588/page-2
I have tried some combinations of removing the supercharger, intake tuning, and exhaust manifold because I assume less power would be more manageable. Is that a good tune to learn with? Also, are the cars in the coffee break challenges any good compared to tunes I could find on the forums?

Dear god I wouldn't use it, but whatever works :)

It's hard to explain, but when you're drifting with a wheel you want to mainly control the car using your right foot on the accelerator. In general:

More gas = More angle

But it's not always easy as that, as you will need to lift off the throttle so the car remains stable. However from my observations I find that when you lift you might get a little extra oversteer so you will need to give slightly more steering input to countersteer. The longer that you spend on the throttle, the more noticable the mid-drift oversteer will become when you lift off.

Back