Project CARS 2 — Indy 500 / IndyCar Content Thread

Looking forward to the addition of some oval tracks also and the possibility of some Nascar racing included. That's the one thing that is missing in Project Cars. Have to confess I initially didn't quite grasp or appreciate oval tracks or Nascar earlier on and like many others who thought hey the tracks are oval and only go one direction left mainly full out. Boring right? Not quite. I got to appreciate it more later though with the knowledge it ain't that simple and there's lots of driving skills, timing and strategy involved I wasn't aware of before. As the author in this linked article says...It ain't all that easy.

http://jalopnik.com/5944075/if-you-think-driving-on-an-oval-is-easy-youre-an-idiot

I love that classic open wheelers are finally getting some attention from game developers outside of dedicated F1 games.

As for ovals, I really hope some smaller ones make it in so we can have some variety. The two mainstays, Indy and Daytona are great, but in order to truly appreciate what makes oval racing so great some shorter tracks like Richmond and Phoenix are needed.

On road courses, the track is your main opponent, while on ovals its the other drivers. It feels mesmerizing to go around an oval track, constantly dancing on the limits of adhesion...a few inches away from another car. Talking about realism: Using custom setups, our WMD aliens run lap times in the DW12 that would place them right in the mid field of the 2017 Indy 500 starting grid!

Both styles have their charm and I'm happy we'll get to simulate as many disciplines as possible in one package.
I agree, so long as there is a mutual understanding about other "unwanted" categories like rallycross or roadcars.

Personally, ovals bore me to tears. There also aren't any freeways or wide open land for miles from my house. ;) But in a diverse game like this, almost everyone should find something to enjoy and probably something else they'll never touch. One person's favorite car/track/category is inevitably "worthless" to someone else.

So bring on the ovals -- maybe dynamic time/weather, a large grid of AI, genuine pit stop features, etc. will make them more interesting to me than they've ever been before. PCARS1 already imbued life into circuits I previously thought were hopelessly tedious. 👍

I agree I personally don't like ovals either. First of all I'm European so whatever racing history I grew up with has been mostly F1 and rally. My first contact with ovals in a racing game was probably Indianapolis first in Real Racing 3, later in Forza 5 & 6. In a game as static as Forza (no dynamic weather, no dynamic time of day, no dynamic track) it bores me to the back of my teeth. But I'm willing to give it a go again in PCARS2 when the tracks and environments come to live. Besides that turbine car sure looks interesting enough to give a try as well. :)

I prefer circuit racing the most as well but mostly GT & LMP cars. So it's not just the oval racing, it's also open wheelers that don't interest me that much. I prefer cars with a bit more body weight and slower speeds.

However with the introduction of rallycross in PCARS2 and soon Dirt 4 releasing (they got the official FIA WRX license, PCARS2 only has a few cars and tracks - which IMO is fine seeing how much broader the game is) I started to dig myself more into the sport and I am ABSOLUTELY loving it. I don't like rally itself much (as a spectator sport) because of the long timetrial stages not showing any direct racing between the drivers. I don't like the snorefest that F1 has become either. Formula E is even more boring with cars that sound like malfunctioning vacuum cleaners. So GT & LMP endurance racing has been my main choice of races to watch. But ooh boy, WRX sure is coming strong to even top that. The entire system seems to work so perfect, several short races in a close quarter combat where the excitement is on a level I have never seen before. And if a race is boring it's over in 5 minutes anyway (ok if it's fun it's over in 5 minutes as well :P).

I often play racing series on my TV screen as background fuz while I do other things in the house like cleaning, preparing dinner etc. Rallycross is the first racing sport in ages where I just cannot keep my eyes of the screen. :)

Take a look at this for example, one of the epic semi-final races of WRX at Hockenheim in 2016. I think it must have inspired SMS to put the Hockenheim RX circuit in PCARS2 as well. :) I personally think it's even a rather boring circuit, I'm much more a fan of the RX purpose-built tracks.

epic semi-final at Hockenheim 2016 :

Watch this one, my personal favorite RX tracks in Montalegre. Not in PCARS2 but will be a new track for Dirt 4 :

Like with any new motorsport, it's a bit getting used to in the beginning. But after a couple of races when you start to know the drivers and the teams it's great fun. I also absolutely love the friendly atmosphere between the competing drivers in WRX. When Bakkerud won in Hell in 2016 you can see Ekstrom (competing driver from another team) run to his car making a selfie of them both, so fun to watch. Meanwhile over at F1 driver interaction is so boring and serious.

And this cracks me up as well, from this weekend at Lydden Hill WRX :

That entire WRX gang is so great, Bakkerud the fun-maker, the Hansen family, Sebastian Loab, Petter Solberg and a bunch of great fun racing guys.

I agree I personally don't like ovals either. First of all I'm European so whatever racing history I grew up with has been mostly F1 and rally. My first contact with ovals in a racing game was probably Indianapolis first in Real Racing 3, later in Forza 5 & 6. In a game as static as Forza (no dynamic weather, no dynamic time of day, no dynamic track) it bores me to the back of my teeth. But I'm willing to give it a go again in PCARS2 when the tracks and environments come to live. Besides that turbine car sure looks interesting enough to give a try as well. :)

I prefer circuit racing the most as well but mostly GT & LMP cars. So it's not just the oval racing, it's also open wheelers that don't interest me that much. I prefer cars with a bit more body weight and slower speeds.

However with the introduction of rallycross in PCARS2 and soon Dirt 4 releasing (they got the official FIA WRX license, PCARS2 only has a few cars and tracks - which IMO is fine seeing how much broader the game is) I started to dig myself more into the sport and I am ABSOLUTELY loving it. I don't like rally itself much (as a spectator sport) because of the long timetrial stages not showing any direct racing between the drivers. I don't like the snorefest that F1 has become either. Formula E is even more boring with cars that sound like malfunctioning vacuum cleaners. So GT & LMP endurance racing has been my main choice of races to watch. But ooh boy, WRX sure is coming strong to even top that. The entire system seems to work so perfect, several short races in a close quarter combat where the excitement is on a level I have never seen before. And if a race is boring it's over in 5 minutes anyway (ok if it's fun it's over in 5 minutes as well :P).
Don't forget, it was once said that you can run anything on the RX layouts. So you can run the massive HP RWD cars like the V8SC and the NASCAR.

I would argue with you on Formula E but this isn't the place for that.

Don't forget, it was once said that you can run anything on the RX layouts. So you can run the massive HP RWD cars like the V8SC and the NASCAR.

I would argue with you on Formula E but this isn't the place for that.

Well doing the RX tracks in some classic muscle cars sure could be great fun. :) Hell in Norway is another awesome track and that one is in PCARS 2 as well, same for Lydden Hill. Holjes in Sweden is also outstanding (not in PCARS2, will be in Dirt 4 again) and other great RX tracks that are not in a game yet (to my knowledge) are Kouvola (Finland), Estering (Germany) and the new track in Riga (Latvia). I'm not that much of a fan of the "temporary" RX tracks which are set up on an existing tarmac circuit like Hockenheim, Barcelona or Daytona (the latter being part of the Red Bull GRC series and in PCARS2 as well). But I understand as the sport is growing rapidly these places offer a lot of spectator seats.

Back to Formula E, I watched 1,5 season of that before abandoning it, feels like a junior series to F1 or something even though it can have some exciting moments too (and Buemi sure can drive that thing).

Well doing the RX tracks in some classic muscle cars sure could be great fun. :) Hell in Norway is another awesome track and that one is in PCARS 2 as well, same for Lydden Hill. Holjes in Sweden is also outstanding (not in PCARS2, will be in Dirt 4 again) and other great RX tracks that are not in a game yet (to my knowledge) are Kouvola (Finland), Estering (Germany) and the new track in Riga (Latvia). I'm not that much of a fan of the "temporary" RX tracks which are set up on an existing tarmac circuit like Hockenheim, Barcelona or Daytona (the latter being part of the Red Bull GRC series and in PCARS2 as well). But I understand as the sport is growing rapidly these places offer a lot of spectator seats.
To be honest, I think that the temporary RX layouts offer some variety to the usual. You have the circuit you know. However, that circuit has been re-visualised to accommodate for an RX format which I find something unique about the series. You don't just have the same circuits yet you have new variations of them. I agree that Holjes is awesome.

It seems most sims dont replicate oval racing very well, so the difficulty and thrill of it is lost.

When traveling constantly at 220mph a 15mph breeze at Indianapolis wrecks havoc on the cars, understeer through one corner, then bad oversteer through the next. Not to mention the groove at Indianapolis is barely 1.5 car widths wide, and going outside of it usually means crashing. The handling of the cars is usually knife edge and always changing, something again that sims dont really replicate on ovals very well. And at those speeds, slight contact with the wall or other cars usually ends your race. And then theres the massive turbulence off the car in front which upsets the handling of your car. Things like that simply arent replicated in today's sims so oval racing feels 'easy' and not much of a challenge.

If you watched onboards from todays Indy 500 the drivers were really hustling the cars around the track. Contrast that to onboards of iRacing's or any other modern racer's simulation of the 500 which makes driving the course look like a Sunday cruise.

Long story short, I hope PCARS 2 replicates some of the subtleties of oval racing that makes it unique and challenging.

It seems most sims dont replicate oval racing very well, so the difficulty and thrill of it is lost.

When traveling constantly at 220mph a 15mph breeze at Indianapolis wrecks havoc on the cars, understeer through one corner, then bad oversteer through the next. Not to mention the groove at Indianapolis is barely 1.5 car widths wide, and going outside of it usually means crashing. The handling of the cars is usually knife edge and always changing, something again that sims dont really replicate on ovals very well. And at those speeds, slight contact with the wall or other cars usually ends your race. And then theres the massive turbulence off the car in front which upsets the handling of your car. Things like that simply arent replicated in today's sims so oval racing feels 'easy' and not much of a challenge.

If you watched onboards from todays Indy 500 the drivers were really hustling the cars around the track. Contrast that to onboards of iRacing's or any other modern racer's simulation of the 500 which makes driving the course look like a Sunday cruise.

Long story short, I hope PCARS 2 replicates some of the subtleties of oval racing that makes it unique and challenging.

OK Earth I'm biased but I think we're as close as we can get (at least for now) in terms of simulating the subtleties. We've just had another pass adding tweaks like qually boost and it's feeling very good to me and the response from our testers is very positive.
Things like aero push and downforce reduction in traffic seems to be functioning correctly.

Our fast testers are hitting 39.2's also which is bang on the money for qually.

On road courses, the track is your main opponent, while on ovals its the other drivers. It feels mesmerizing to go around an oval track, constantly dancing on the limits of adhesion...a few inches away from another car. Talking about realism: Using custom setups, our WMD aliens run lap times in the DW12 that would place them right in the mid field of the 2017 Indy 500 starting grid!

Both styles have their charm and I'm happy we'll get to simulate as many disciplines as possible in one package.
NASCAR and going round in circles is boring to me. However on GT5 racing NASCAR around Daytona with a full clean grid kept me grinning from start to finish. It's something entirely different to what most Europeans sim racers have played and would love to see it in more games.

I just read a tweet (screenshot provided) from the offical PCars twitter handle saying that Alonso's car (livery) won't be in PCars 2. Hopefully they can secure it as DLC in the future. Better late than never.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170531-125450.png
    Screenshot_20170531-125450.png
    53 KB · Views: 56
I just read a tweet (screenshot provided) from the offical PCars twitter handle saying that Alonso's car (livery) won't be in PCars 2. Hopefully they can secure it as DLC in the future. Better late than never.

Well, it does make sense since it takes time to create all those liveries (and subject to removal of alcohol sponsorships, as normal with video games rated 'E' or similar), and the 2017 season is still ongoing...

To be honest, I think that the temporary RX layouts offer some variety to the usual. You have the circuit you know. However, that circuit has been re-visualised to accommodate for an RX format which I find something unique about the series. You don't just have the same circuits yet you have new variations of them. I agree that Holjes is awesome.
My only issue with the temporary RX tracks is that like with Silverstone taking the contract for the British round from Lydden Hill for next year, proper rallycross tracks and venues are what help give the sport real character. The ones based at 'normal' circuits just seem a bit bland...

Bit disappointed we won't get a full grid of IndyCar on PS4 for online racing. Suppose we will all have to watch PC footage to see full grids of IndyCar and other classes and Race director etc. PS4 is very outdated now. As it's showing.

Bit disappointed we won't get a full grid of IndyCar on PS4 for online racing. Suppose we will all have to watch PC footage to see full grids of IndyCar and other classes and Race director etc. PS4 is very outdated now. As it's showing.
By 1. So it's just removing one of the useless guys like Will Power or JPM or Castroneves. :P

You won't even notice 1 car missing :rolleyes:

Back