Project cars 2 bug report Q&A

• Thread starter TDZdave
  • 1,434 comments
We have 5 strong issues and around 20 minor issues. The best ship we've had since 2003. I have to refute 'so little response from SMS' also. We're over every forum advising and collating and helping with workarounds if they exist until we ship the next patch. I've been doing this for a minimum of 10 hours daily since we shipped so I can't accept that.
Yes your response is great.i wish more devs were as good as SMS. I work 10 hours a day minimum 6 days a week. I feel your pain. In the end as the late great Ricky Ricardo would say. Lucy you got some splaynin too do.

I have found a serious grip issue with the Clio. In the dry, there is very little to no grip on the rear tyres. Especially when the tyres are cold - which I sort of understand but once warmed through I still feel like I am driving a drift car. This caused me to come last in my 1st 2 races in the calendar.

However, in the wet, they act as they should. A little looseness but generally grip as wet weather tyres should grip. If anything, I think they got the 2 tyres mixed up grip-wise.

The Ginetta jnr I drove was spot on so seems to affect the Clio only.

No other real issues with the game apart from when doing time trials, I seem to lose any settings. (ABS, traction control etc... all get turned off despite being on in the main menu).

Am loving the game.

(PS4 standard).

The Clio issue, from what I've seen on the official PC2 forum is related to the tyres.

Some cars with rain tyres have the behavior of slicks and vices versa. The Clio and the Ginetta GT5 I guess are 2 of those. Try it out with a diff tyre and see if it helps.

If, you are having issues with a deadzone around center on TM wheels. Try deleting the Documents\Project CARS 2 folder. Edit: it's back!
What do we do about it on console? The only thing I can do that seems to help is use the Informative flavor and run a lot of volume and tone and cut back the gain to keep the wheel weight manageable. It's not great but it's better than default. Also the deadzone is massive on the Immersion flavor. Another oddity is that when I try others settings the wheel is extremely light compared to what I'm being told it should be. This is much lighter than any subjective reasoning could explain, so I'm not sure why the same settings would feel that much different.

The lap info bar isn't updating in real time if you join a session that's already in progress. It only updates after each sector.

If I make a private session at Sugo it always end up being public and others join. Not sure if it's just that track.

We have 5 strong issues and around 20 minor issues. The best ship we've had since 2003. I have to refute 'so little response from SMS' also. We're over every forum advising and collating and helping with workarounds if they exist until we ship the next patch. I've been doing this for a minimum of 10 hours daily since we shipped so I can't accept that.

Good to know. Any word on the downshifting problems with older cars? Like the McLaren F1 or the 962 Porsche.

Like the clutch doesn´t disengage so it gives you a feeling that it´s stuck and the engine dies.

The biting point on G25 G27 wheels is way too deep, maybe that´s what´s causing this.

I´m used to play without auto blip, so it´s not a noob question.

It´s a shame because it makes you play with auto clutch until this is fixed.

Good to know. Any word on the downshifting problems with older cars? Like the McLaren F1 or the 962 Porsche.

Like the clutch doesn´t disengage so it gives you a feeling that it´s stuck and the engine dies.

The biting point on G25 G27 wheels is way too deep, maybe that´s what´s causing this.

I´m used to play without auto blip, so it´s not a noob question.

It´s a shame because it makes you play with auto clutch until this is fixed.

Downshifting limitations was by design. We impose a cog engage time limit based on the type of gearbox to remove exploits where people drop x amount of gears instantly for added braking (with damage off). I 'think' we're close to the engineering limits on timing but I did read on one forum we were too slow for one car.

i'm not sure if anyone has noticed this, but when i first started up the game i went straight to driving the C7 Z06 (i'm a Chevy guy lol) and i noticed something weird. at first i just went straight to using the clutch to shift, but what i soon realized after driving for a few minutes was that i don't need the clutch. both the paddles and the shifter were both working to shift the car. and of course when i used the shifter it just auto clutched even though auto clutch is off.

Also, when i went into the C7R, for some reason it was the same deal, i could use paddles, or the shifter. and i had to turn auto clutch on for it to shift right with paddles. and JUST to make sure i wasn't going nuts, i tested the ZL1 and it did the same thing with auto clutch.

so, that's leads to my question: why? i honestly think they messed up and maybe forgot to separate them or something? I have no clue. hopefully it gets fixed in next update, cause I cant wait to take these 650HP beasts on track :) Anyone know anything about this? @IanBell

Last edited:
Firstly Ian and co thank you for an amazing game! I'm enjoying it very much! Huge improvement over Pcars1...which I also enjoyed and played right up to the release of Pcars2.

That being said minor issues I've encountered are:

• Trophies not triggering - for me Snap snap snap and winter soldier haven't triggered. Don't know if there are others as those two are the only ones I've tried to get intentionally.
  • Something is up with Hockenheim...every time as soon as I go around the 1st corner my lap time get's deleted by the race director. And I've tried taking it without hitting any part of the curbs etc. but the problem persists
  • Not sure the online penalties are triggering as they should. I got a 25 second penalty for barely touching another car. In the same race I was rammed of the track at the last corner whilst leading...but the guilty part got no penalty. Last night as well some moron in a lambo span me out on 3 occasions but got no penalty. Not sure what the criteria is for these things.
  • Race engineer voice not working...can see the subtitles but no voice over speakers :(
  • Same for the explanations in the menus. Get the text etc. but no voice
Thanks again for an amazing game!

Last edited:
The game has surely issues, more than exptected i have to say but the content is huge. I think telling that there is no support is absolutely no sense. We are even able to speak to the CEO.. com'on guys.

With respect to bugs the only two at the moment make the career mode unplayable in certain series and invitational events are:

- tyres temperature: formula rookie, Ginetta GT5 and Clio do not heat tyres even after 9-10 laps. This makes almost impossibile to qualify. Telemetry doesn't work an AI gas no issues.
- certain weather non affecting AI. Especially snow and storming situations like the lightweight invitational event. You Can seee also from the replay that AI is like on dry.

Thank you in advance for looking into this. I have seen it a common problem in the official website and reported also there.

For those not liking the downshift protection, going to Controls > Configuration then down to Minimum Shift Time, put that to 0. It should stop it, i just blew an engine testing it lol.

Probably not a bug but I'll ask it here just in case. I have failed to slow down entering the pits at Road America in an online race and got an instant disqualification. In another online race, also at Road America, I got a 5 second penalty for not slowing down for the pits. In that same race someone else got DQ'd when entering the pits. Is this a bug or is there a hierarchy of penalties for different degrees of speeding?

The game has surely issues, more than exptected i have to say but the content is huge. I think telling that there is no support is absolutely no sense. We are even able to speak to the CEO.. com'on guys.

With respect to bugs the only two at the moment make the career mode unplayable in certain series and invitational events are:

- tyres temperature: formula rookie, Ginetta GT5 and Clio do not heat tyres even after 9-10 laps. This makes almost impossibile to qualify. Telemetry doesn't work an AI gas no issues.
- certain weather non affecting AI. Especially snow and storming situations like the lightweight invitational event. You Can seee also from the replay that AI is like on dry.

Thank you in advance for looking into this. I have seen it a common problem in the official website and reported also there.

Yes Bell respond to us. This is cool and pretty kind indeed. But I'm sorry but the game actually is not finish . I spent almost 90 bucks because I think SMS has learn with PC1...

With all this bug removed the game will be great but not now. In weeks maybe months. Yes the game has huge content , yes it's a good improvement for PC1 and yes the people off SMS is good. But after 3 days and a 13GB patch I remember (!) We can barely play the career mode in good conditions. This is not just for our money. It's about respect too. And when a studio sell a game with so majors flaws .... Why I do thinking about that ? Just wait for a dozen patch ? This game is just a Beta ?

For me cars game has not just a video game. It's a way to "live" my passion. PC1 and PC2 are here for that. In some way you established a new start for this kind of game. A racing sim designed for PC on the console ! That's great ! But now this is not the case. So ... I hope the game will be fixed.

Sorry for my long post and my English.

I had a post on here about my review of project cars 2 not to buy it because it had more bugs just like project cars 1 I was slaughter Ian bell needs to tell us why he has released a broken game again

After exiting Photo Mode in a Replay gameplay will more often than not fail to continue to play. The car will remain in the same position on circuit, while the camera pans erratically, but the wheels will remain in motion. Sound is also unaffected.

PS4 Standard

Odd items appearing on circuit at Fuji Speedway. Looks like an advertising hoarding. The object cannot be crashed into - I did it for science!

Project CARS 2_20170926090307.png

Last edited:
Yes Bell respond to us. This is cool and pretty kind indeed. But I'm sorry but the game actually is not finish . I spent almost 90 bucks because I think SMS has learn with PC1...

With all this bug removed the game will be great but not now. In weeks maybe months. Yes the game has huge content , yes it's a good improvement for PC1 and yes the people off SMS is good. But after 3 days and a 13GB patch I remember (!) We can barely play the career mode in good conditions. This is not just for our money. It's about respect too. And when a studio sell a game with so majors flaws .... Why I do thinking about that ? Just wait for a dozen patch ? This game is just a Beta ?

For me cars game has not just a video game. It's a way to "live" my passion. PC1 and PC2 are here for that. In some way you established a new start for this kind of game. A racing sim designed for PC on the console ! That's great ! But now this is not the case. So ... I hope the game will be fixed.

Sorry for my long post and my English.

Yes i see your points and actually agree on many. maybe is just i was expecting the game to be bugged and bought It Just because i found a super offer for the limited. However i was already expecting to play It after months.

Last edited:
Is this a bug?

When in helmet Camera when you zoom out to 90 you cant see the helmet? But when you zoom in to 89 you can

Its pretty cool driving in helmet cam without the helmet showing :D

I have to refute 'so little response from SMS' also.

Don't worry @IanBell ...... The person that said that is a very well known "Poo Mover".... So i'd ignore it. ;)

Overall the game is a great one, some issues here and there as we all have experienced, but on the whole a fantastic game...And after a patch or 2, will be even better no doubt........Very well done SMS! 👍

Probably not a bug but I'll ask it here just in case. I have failed to slow down entering the pits at Road America in an online race and got an instant disqualification. In another online race, also at Road America, I got a 5 second penalty for not slowing down for the pits. In that same race someone else got DQ'd when entering the pits. Is this a bug or is there a hierarchy of penalties for different degrees of speeding?
Yes, there is a "hierarchy" of penalties for pit lane speeding.

After exiting Photo Mode in a Replay gameplay will more often than not fail to continue to play. The car will remain in the same position on circuit, while the camera pans erratically, but the wheels will remain in motion. Sound is also unaffected.

PS4 Standard

Odd items appearing on circuit at Fuji Speedway. Looks like an advertising hoarding. The object cannot be crashed into - I did it for science!

I saw this yesterday at Fuji , had to swerve as I didn't see it until the last minute .
PS4 , GT4 Championship

PS4 Pro User . Other Bugs !

- Le Mans (and perhaps other tracks, who knows ?) Under Blizzard, Track textures not Available :)

Project CARS 2_20170926113658.jpg

A nice Foggy day, But replay is not so nice ! It's just a detail ! :)

Project CARS 2_20170926114929.jpg

Hardly raining ! oh no !!! this is the tempest ! :)
- Don't worry ,Project cars 2 is magic ! Track is totaly dry !!!!

Project CARS 2_20170926120049.jpg

Project CARS 2_20170926120243.jpg

Today, i will stop to thanks SMS for this unfinished Game. After all, i paid 100 Euros to play with it.
But i can't play !!!
I Would like to start a career, but it's not possible because of qualifications bugs (i was third during qualifications, but last one in the results)
I would like to race for almost 20 laps, but not sure to finish a race because of bugs (i succeeded one time, and i launched the replay : Terrible mistake as the game crashed)
I'm not a multiplayer gamer, so i experienced private test, at least (100 Euros for that) ,1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours.... assuming that, even weather conditions are also bugged sometimes.

But i'm really fed up ,,, and i'm quite sure, most of people are thinking the same things .

I found this forum, and i speak English (even if my English is sometimes so bad), So i know that you will probably fix most of those bugs (It was supposed to be done before the game release), But @IanBell ,did you think about all those people, all around the world, who do not speak English and who bought your game ?
What do they think of you, and of your game ?

Last edited:
lot of marketing, lot of illusions, almost everyone here was fall into this trap. i realy tried to make this game enjoyable but it is just disgusting. there are so many things wrong in this game..... winter soldier, you have to set spring for this trophy..... sounds logical or? spike tyres have more grip then all-terrain tyres on tarmac....sure!!! the performance is just a mess, even if you alone on track you have stuttering, resolution drops and framedrops. try nurburgring combined for this or olton park with some rain. mp also a mess, pointsystem dont work, i drive clean, valid laptimes, dont crash anyone and lost points. other guy drive like a chimp, gain points. stuttering and freezes in mp makes this game totally unenjoyable. the mess with the ff... i dont wanne talk about, just shame u for this whoever made this game.

PS4 Pro User . Other Bugs !

- Le Mans (and perhaps other tracks, who knows ?) Under Blizzard, Track textures not Available :)

View attachment 675551

A nice Foggy day, But replay is not so nice ! It's just a detail ! :)

View attachment 675552

Hardly raining ! oh no !!! this is the tempest ! :)
- Don't worry ,Project cars 2 is magic ! Track is totaly dry !!!!

View attachment 675553

View attachment 675554

Today, i will stop to thanks SMS for this unfinished Game. After all, i paid 100 Euros to play with it.
But i can't play !!!
I Would like to start a career, but it's not possible because of qualifications bugs (i was third during qualifications, but last one in the results)
I would like to race for almost 20 laps, but not sure to finish a race because of bugs (i succeeded one time, and i launched the replay : Terrible mistake as the game crashed)
I'm not a multiplayer gamer, so i experienced private test, at least (100 Euros for that) ,1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours.... assuming that, even weather conditions are also bugged sometimes.

But i'm really fed up ,,, and i'm quite sure, most of people are thinking the same things .

I found this forum, and i speak English (even if my English is sometimes so bad), So i know that you will probably fix most of those bugs (It was supposed to be done before the game release), But @IanBell ,did you think about all those people, all around the world, who do not speak English and who bought your game ?
What do they think of you, and of your game ?

They can think of me what they will. I always find there's no need to get personal :)

Downshifting limitations was by design. We impose a cog engage time limit based on the type of gearbox to remove exploits where people drop x amount of gears instantly for added braking (with damage off). I 'think' we're close to the engineering limits on timing but I did read on one forum we were too slow for one car.

Thanks. I remember the exploits, but specially on up****s, on down****fs it didn´t looked as pronounced because if you did it too quickly the high revs would upset the car´s balance.

I think it´s great that it´s intended to simulate real gearboxes, however, instead of quoting youtube videos and stuff, i´ll just use the auto clutch in the game as an example: i can´t be as fast as the game auto clutch when downshifting.

I did manage to run some older cars without auto clutch just fine, like the Lotus 98T (despite this being the car used as an example of slower shifts than in real life), but the group 5 and group c cars are very weird.

Coming down the straight in 5th gear at 300kpm there´s just not enough time to downshift and wait a second on each gear. It´s a strange feeling, when playing without the auto clutch in these cars is actually faster to just brake, don´t shift, brake some more and go straight to second when the rev matching allows you to.

Like, giving up engine braking completely.

Again, i´m just comparing this to the job done by the auto clutch in the game.

I like to mention this again and again because what surprised me the most driving real performance vehicles was just how strong engine braking really is (when you are feeling the g forces), so i just want you guys to check this in these two categories of cars.

Hello all, not posted on here for a while.

There appears to be an issue on Knockhill RX on PS4. The joker loop doesn't register correctly. Thinks you have done the Joker when you have taken the normal route? happened a couple on times in career mode and I keep getting deducted 5 secs!

They can think of me what they will. I always find there's no need to get personal :)

@IanBell I know you are doing your best, you and your team.
Even if PC1 was bugged at the start, it was a very good game and a great experience ! :) ,and i bought PC2 for that reason .

but i can't understand why PC2 is so bugged on its release !
i have the bad feeling that it has not been tested (On PS4).
All the bugs i refered (i should say , WE refered) since the game is out are noticeable, only after 1 hour in game .

I will wait for patches because i trust on you and because NFS shift was one of my best experience.
But for the time being, i'm clearly unsatisfied.

Xbox One/Xbox controller

Career mode: can't drive straight, my car seems to pull to the left or right pretty much all the time. This is noticeable even at 60 km/h, at high speeds it's very hard to control the car. No issues with the same car/track combo outside career mode?

Career mode: lost driver/career progress completely three days ago. Not much else to say about this, it was just gone when I started the game. My first driver progress was unaffected.

Tons of other bugs too, but I believe those have been covered here already. Really getting sick of all this 🤬.

@IanBell
i have the bad feeling that it has not been tested (On PS4).
All the bugs i refered (i should say , WE refered) since the game is out are noticeable, only after 1 hour in game .

Exactly this! Only 2hrs of regular gameplay revealed lots of bugs!
It can't be that they didn't test it; so the only logical possibility is that they knew it was very bugged but released it anyway.

Really good thread, really informative! Thanks!

Just getting bit too big/long, but must watch to know when this game is ready for buying.
Meanwhile:
View attachment 675577

I bought it despite all of that!

It's a nice feeling seeing something growing up and getting better with time!
It's like raising your own kid...

(Not a fanboy here; never even saw PC1; more like a AC fan but this one called my heart).

Not sure I would class this as a bug or not but here goes, In the Porsche 918, Laferrari and the NSX the electric power seems to run out way to soon for example I started a test session at Le Mans in the Porsche 918 and by the end of my out lap all the electric power had gone and on the flying lap it didn't seem to build back up again leaving the car well down on power same goes for NSX and the Laferari, the Mclaren P1 on the other hand lasted 3 or 4 laps before draining the battery ( LMP1 cars and Formula A and X never run out for long). I created a thread on Pcars website but haven't had an answer as to if this is a bug with those three cars or it's something to do with the default mode when they captured the cars? I think it must be wrong because the Mclaren P1 does not have break recovery( Just off throttle recovery) yet it keeps it's charge better than the others when the 918 and Lafferari do have break recovery but they don't last. An answer from Ian would be appreciated. ( Sorry for the long explanation)

Back