Project CARS 2 E3 2017 Hands-On Impressions

The problem I have is that I don't care much for a wheel when it's only attached to my desk as the seating position is all wrong. So until I manage to get enough money to purchase a proper cockpit I'm stuck with a controller.

It's absolutely, positively, definitely worth it if you have the space (ideally a dedicated room), and it can cost a lot less than you think. Trawl eBay for used cockpits because people do buy them with the best of intentions and then lose interest or find they need the space, so sell them on. I bought my own cockpit that way and got a great deal: Forza Motorsport Playseat with seat slider, TV mount, shifter mount, official mat, 32" Sharp HD TV, Logitech G27 wheel, pedals & shifter, Sony powered sub & speakers, and a couple of games... all for £300. Pretty much as per this photo (but the sub and speakers aren't shown)

112.jpg

I wanted to upgrade a lot of the kit so sold the G27 stuff for £140, the TV for £70, the FM seat for £80 (to make way for an RS Turbo Recaro), the games for £30 and the sub/speakers for £40 so actually ended up in profit by £60 with the Playseat frame, mat and TV stand effectively 'free', which gave me a good start for the rest of the upgrades. I've updated the screen twice since then (32" 1080p to 50" 4k) and the wheel/pedals twice (Fanatec GT2 & CSPs to Fanatec CSR Elite with Formula rim) and added a Yamaha 5.1 receiver and a Buttkicker, so the cost can scale with your personal preferences, but as I've shown, there are bargains out there. Even my CSR-E was effectively free because that came with a whole bunch of 'extras' (CSR Elite pedals, Wheel Stand Pro, shifter mounts and a few other bits and bobs) that were sold off individually to cover the initial cost.

All of that was a very long-winded and off-topic (apologies!) way of saying that there are bargains out there if you care to look.

This is the rig in its current state, in case anyone was wondering:

1a_zpsgtvkqjku.jpg

It's absolutely, positively, definitely worth it if you have the space (ideally a dedicated room), and it can cost a lot less than you think. Trawl eBay for used cockpits because people do buy them with the best of intentions and then lose interest or find they need the space, so sell them on. I bought my own cockpit that way and got a great deal: Forza Motorsport Playseat with seat slider, TV mount, shifter mount, official mat, 32" Sharp HD TV, Logitech G27 wheel, pedals & shifter, Sony powered sub & speakers, and a couple of games... all for £300. Pretty much as per this photo (but the sub and speakers aren't shown)

I wanted to upgrade a lot of the kit so sold the G27 stuff for £140, the TV for £70, the FM seat for £80 (to make way for an RS Turbo Recaro), the games for £30 and the sub/speakers for £40 so actually ended up in profit by £60 with the Playseat frame, mat and TV stand effectively 'free', which gave me a good start for the rest of the upgrades. I've updated the screen twice since then (32" 1080p to 50" 4k) and the wheel/pedals twice (Fanatec GT2 & CSPs to Fanatec CSR Elite with Formula rim) and added a Yamaha 5.1 receiver and a Buttkicker, so the cost can scale with your personal preferences, but as I've shown, there are bargains out there. Even my CSR-E was effectively free because that came with a whole bunch of 'extras' (CSR Elite pedals, Wheel Stand Pro, shifter mounts and a few other bits and bobs) that were sold off individually to cover the initial cost.

All of that was a very long-winded and off-topic (apologies!) way of saying that there are bargains out there if you care to look.

Nice post man as I agree pretty much!
I made my own wheel seat/stand (not gonna call it rig) by slightly modifying my child's eating chair and fixing my G29 to it! I then fixed a camping chair to it, to make the whole system as stable as a rock under my weight! It works admirably! It costed me like 10$ if I neglect the fact that the eating chair was a gift!
I was on the verge of buying a Playseat Challenge as I am very short on space!

Question:
How do you find the CSL elite compared to the G27?! (I have a similar G29 with a modded brake pedal which is much better than the original!).
Is it really that much better?
Fanatec is not available in my country and I will have to go into a lot of hassle and trouble to get one, in case it's really worth it!

112.jpg

1a_zpsgtvkqjku.jpg
Nice set up. How did you balance those tablets up there on the TV?

Question:
How do you find the CSL elite compared to the G27?! (I have a similar G29 with a modded brake pedal which is much better than the original!).
Is it really that much better?
Fanatec is not available in my country and I will have to go into a lot of hassle and trouble to get one, in case it's really worth it!

Mine is a CSR Elite, not the CSL Elite, but it's still a big step up from the G27 (and the GT2 I had in between them). Sorry for the off topic, let's get back on track.

Edit:
Nice set up. How did you balance those tablets up there on the TV?

Very crudely (but effectively). I fixed an old length of flooring to the stand before mounting the TV, then fixed a shorter horizontal tee piece across the top (not shown below), offset forwards so the tablets finished flush with the screen. The tablets are then fixed to it with self-adhesive Velcro.

20170506_084915_zpszlry92a5.jpg

20170506_102003_zpsnofbktha.jpg

The two phones are fixed to the wheel in a similar way, but Velcro'd to a cut-down Tupperware lid bolted to the front of the wheel base face using existing bolt locations.

Getting seriously off topic here now, oops.

Last edited:
The problem I have is that I don't care much for a wheel when it's only attached to my desk as the seating position is all wrong. So until I manage to get enough money to purchase a proper cockpit I'm stuck with a controller.

psssst....You don't have to buy a cockpit boy. Here. Thank me later.
Works famously, sturdy, elegant.... and takes up little space.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYMCRG/?tag=gtplanet-20

psssst....You don't have to buy a cockpit boy. Here. Thank me later.
Works famously, sturdy, elegant.... and takes up little space.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYMCRG/?tag=gtplanet-20

I've tried a wheelstand before and while it's better than nothing, it still doesn't feel right and for the price they ask I don't feel it's worth it.

I've looked at that a couple times and it seems like a rather good compromise of functionality and portability and is probably what I'll end up going with when I have the money (hopefully later this year).

Looks really compact simple and quite a bit stylish because of the simplicity of it. But 200bucks for what is basically a camping chair, that is kinda steep even if it looks twice as sturdy. Talk about high margins on these little things :)

But 200bucks for what is basically a camping chair, that is kinda steep even if it looks twice as sturdy.
I understand your thinking and I've been there myself.

But the fact is that this is a unique solution and that has its price, too. This is the closest thing people without space at home will have to a cockpit.
Add to that the relatively small price difference between this and a wheel stand, and the Challenge will start looking more and more appealing. And that's before you actually try it and discover that it offers 10x the experience of any wheel stand.

I understand your thinking and I've been there myself.

But the fact is that this is a unique solution and that has its price, too. This is the closest thing people without space at home will have to a cockpit.
Add to that the relatively small price difference between this and a wheel stand, and the Challenge will start looking more and more appealing. And that's before you actually try it and discover that it offers 10x the experience of any wheel stand.

And you forgot, it has no annoying pole/beam in front of the pedal set that gets in the way. It is looking really interesting to me, but those 200bucks... But as I am still racing on/at my desk, something like this has intrigued me.

I've been using a wheel stand pro for over 2 years and have had no problems. Occasionally it'll tip slightly to one side if you're going round a corner like a crazy person, but on the whole is pretty stable.

I bought mine from an eBay seller so was a bit cheaper than official channels. Worth it if you get a good deal. I use it with a nice leather chair and fits my setup nicely.

Am I missing something??!

When the article reached the "Controls and Physics" part, all it discussed was controls!!!

I would like to know about the physics itself! Forget about FFB for a moment! These are 2 different things! It may have a ****** FFB but a great physics engine!

How does the car handle?! Does it slide when it seems it should?! Does it understeer or oversteer where it feels it should?! Does the car balance get really upset when you aggressively jump over a bump?! Does it really feels hard to drive?! Do the tires really lock up and you have to really modulate your brake pedal when driving non-ABS cars?! How much throttle management it requires? Does it feel arcadish or simulationish!?

Lots of stuff you didn't mention!

It's not that I don't care about FFB. Actually, this article made me worried coz I'm a PS4 user and I have the G29!
It's just that I have Assetto Corsa as a benchmark for realism/simulation and I want to know how this PC2 fairs compared to it!

Cheers!

I'm starting to feel invisible!

What's WMD?!
World of Mass Development. It's bascially the community that is involved with the development of Project CARS. Project CARS 1 was WMD1 and this is WMD2.

There are some videos that have been allowed to be released like the Caterham 620R at Red Bull Ring in the snow.

It's my impression he's looking for more direct feedback from people actually playing the game.
Exactly.
I can simply wait for the game to come out and watch/read the reviews but I wanted an earlier feedback just to see what I can expect. Either pump the excitement and maybe preorder or forget about it and keep my Assetto running!

Exactly.
I can simply wait for the game to come out and watch/read the reviews but I wanted an earlier feedback just to see what I can expect. Either pump the excitement and maybe preorder or forget about it and keep my Assetto running!
well, only "curated" impressions are available right now imo, so.....

I use a wheel, but it is my hope that the game works well with the hand controller straight out of the box - i.e. on standard controller settings and using default car setups.

Why?
1. Because successful hand controller implementation means more sales and hence more revenue and better games in the future.
2. It also increases the number of people playing the game and racing online.

My hobby is hosting online championships and in the past many friends who use hand controllers have raced with me (none of them were children!), but since I switched to Project Cars 1 this number has come right down. One work colleague who is a competent racer of other car games tried PC1 on my recommendation and gave up almost immediately because of the poor hand controller implementation.

My hope is that this element has been cracked - the SMS people know how important this is to the commercial success of the game - so I am confident it will be substantially improved.

I am very much looking forward to this game and hope it lives up to expectations.

I saw this on many comments "poor hand controller implementation" but I cant agree with it. The controller implementation is in my opinion already pretty good.
I play until 2 weeks ago only with a hand controller (now with a wheel) and I didn't have any problems with it but you have to do some work before you can enjoy the game

• talk to yourself, this isn't an arcade game
  • Be aware that your wheels are on temperature
  • Create a setup for your own feeling and skills
If somebody say the hand controller implementation is crap, they don`t go with this 3 steps or they have zero skill ;)

I saw this on many comments "poor hand controller implementation" but I cant agree with it. The controller implementation is in my opinion already pretty good.
I play until 2 weeks ago only with a hand controller (now with a wheel) and I didn't have any problems with it but you have to do some work before you can enjoy the game

If somebody say the hand controller implementation is crap, they don`t go with this 3 steps or they have zero skill ;)
I think if people have to create their own setups to get a workable controller configuration it could limit the game's appeal at launch. Simply telling them to "git gud" isn't going to help dispel those negative first impressions.

Last edited:
I think if people have to create their own setups to get a workable controller configuration it could limit the game's appeal at launch. Simply telling them to "git gud" isn't going to help dispel those negative first impressions.
Yes you should be able to drive around the track out of the box without issues such as constantly crashing at low speed or having oversteer you can't correct. However people also have an unrealistic expectation that they should be able to be at the top of the leaderboards on Day 1 with a controller just because they are good at arcade games. That is never going to happen. There is still a big element of skill and a learning curve with a controller just like a wheel when it comes to realistic racing games.

Yes you should be able to drive around the track out of the box without issues such as constantly crashing at low speed or having oversteer you can't correct. However people also have an unrealistic expectation that they should be able to be at the top of the leaderboards on Day 1 with a controller just because they are good at arcade games. That is never going to happen. There is still a big element of skill and a learning curve with a controller just like a wheel when it comes to realistic racing games.
For sure. However, you should be able to have confidence in driving the car with the controller just as much as with the wheel. For pCARS 1 that is not the case for me. I can drive confidently with the wheel and every mistake is my own. With the controller I have to focus all my willpower to keep the car from spinning out and even then it still happens. That is with any of the default presets. I have the wheel, so I don't really have to play with the controller, but I feel the pain of many others.

That's an extreme oversimplification, and I don't much care for the implication. I'd suggest re-reading the thread and original article.

Citation please, I'd just like to turn the first corner without coming off the track.

Citation please, I'd just like to turn the first corner without coming off the track.

Back