Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Looks great. driving with no brake sound in snow. Really nice control !
What kind of winter tire for Proto LMP ? i know MICHELIN Pilot Alpin PA4, for road or maybe gt3. i don't know other...
seems to be a short version of RedBullRing.

Hmm. Caterham 620R.

Coool, it gave me a feeling and I don't know if everyone follows my "though pattern" because of the snow covered track, but just throw in some old and cheap beat up "folkrace" cars like old volvos, saabs, bmws and other cars like that and I am never ever looking at another game again, I mean there already are rallycross tracks in the game :D

But to be honest, we can beat up the cars on our own in PC :D

Last edited:

Hmm. Caterham 620R.

What is worth noting, a snow is currently bugged on all tracks but Mercedes Ice track and other snowy track, thus tires has same amount of a grip as on dry surface (on Caterham at least). On Mercedes track rear can step out on 6th gear driving over 200 km/h like it should.

What is worth noting, a snow is currently bugged on all tracks but Mercedes Ice track and other snowy track, thus tires has same amount of a grip as on dry surface (on Caterham at least). On Mercedes track rear can step out on 6th gear driving over 200 km/h like it should.
How can this be possible with their wiz bang tire and surface modeling? I was under the impression that their wet surface modelling was more than just dropping the grip coefficient value. Snow doesn't get displaced as well as water does and gets crunched in to the treads, and is physically caught between the tire and the road. It can be soft, smooth, hard or bump. So is this surface not actually modelled properly?

That's not the case... And it's clearly not looking at the grip available in the video...

That's not the case... And it's clearly not looking at the grip available in the video...

Thanks Ian. I was about to bring this up, but me not having all the information as an outsider I didn't want to dispute someone who seems to be a WMD member.

Awesome video BTW, brings me back memories of PGR4, with its snowy races, which was awesome fun. Can't wait to drive on the Nordschleife in such conditions, this time with realistic physics.

I'm wondering though, with dynamic weather, can a track and the environment start out without any snow at all, with the snow cover slowly building up all during the race? With rain I bet this is easier to achieve, but snow changes the look of a track and the whole landscape so much that it could be a tough challenge for a simulated weather system.

Last edited:
Then why are semislicks on Caterham faster than default studded ice tires on snow on tracks with changeable seasons, like Red Bull Ring in this video?
On Mercedes Ice track driving with semislicks looks convincing as its really hard to get car moving as tires don't grip as at.
It's also enjoyable with a gamepad I must say (with studded tires on Ice track).

Last edited:
Then why are semislicks on Caterham faster than default studded ice tires on snow on tracks with changeable seasons, like Red Bull Ring in this video?
On Mercedes Ice track driving with semislicks looks convincing as its really hard to get car moving as tires don't grip as at.
It's also enjoyable with a gamepad I must say (with studded tires on Ice track).

Studded ice tyres aren't designed for asphalt with a thin coverage of ice... You would use all weather tyres here.

Can all cars be used on all circuits or are there limitations based on available tyres? Can I bring my Toyota TS020 GT-one to the Mercedes-Benz Ice Track for example?

@IanBell Is there a car that you would love to see in PCars2 that, for whatever reason, you could not procure the licence to?

Can all cars be used on all circuits or are there limitations based on available tyres? Can I bring my Toyota TS020 GT-one to the Mercedes-Benz Ice Track for example?

@IanBell Is there a car that you would love to see in PCars2 that, for whatever reason, you could not procure the licence to?
I remember them saying that you can put snow tyres on any car.

You clearly have never driven in snow and ice conditions in real life.

There is a reason studded tires are not used on snow covered asphalt in real life. In fact, they are illegal for road use here in Canada.

As a Canadian, who spends 6 months of the year driving in snow and ice, I'll wait until the game is out and make my own decisions about the snow handling.

You clearly have never driven in snow and ice conditions in real life.

There is a reason studded tires are not used on snow covered asphalt in real life. In fact, they are illegal for road use here in Canada.

As a Canadian, who spends 6 months of the year driving in snow and ice, I'll wait until the game is out and make my own decisions about the snow handling.

Well, studded as in normal winter tires with small studs/spikes in or do you mean those super slim with humongous spikes/studs like found on rally cars?

In Swe we are allowed to use studded tires during winter months and no, tires without them even winter tires are not better than studded ones, if truth to be told. Becasue there will can be ice lurking underneath the snow and then it is sayonara :) Now I dont talk about what is faster such but what is safest :)

Last edited:
I was totally hyped for PCARS2 as a Forza/GT killer until I saw that they are not targeting a solid 60fps, even on the X1X. Don't care about resolution, 1440 is enough for me, or even 1080, but dropping frames during a race kills the immersion and no amount of features or effects can make up for that.

Dropping frames makes for a bad experience, period.

1080 to 1440 with 60+fps with freesync 2 should be the minimum target with HDMI 2.1 TVs coming soon.

I guess we'll see how the PCARS2 on X1X does in the Digital Foundry analysis.

If they can't get a solid 60fps with a GTX 1070 equivalent console at even 1080p then that's just ridiculous and definitely not worth the time or money.

Going preorder Forza 7 in the meantime as it seems you can trust they have a solid 60fps as a priority.

I was totally hyped for PCARS2 as a Forza/GT killer until I saw that they are not targeting a solid 60fps, even on the X1X. Don't care about resolution, 1440 is enough for me, or even 1080, but dropping frames during a race kills the immersion and no amount of features or effects can make up for that.

1080 to 1440 with 60+fps with freesync 2 should be the minimum target with HDMI 2.1 TVs coming soon.

If they can't get a solid 60fps with a GTX 1070 equivalent console at even 1080p then that's just ridiculous and definitely not worth the time or money.

Going preorder Forza 7 in the meantime as it seems you can trust they have a solid 60fps as a priority.
Don't worry, we'll all still be enjoying it.

We are targeting a solid 60 FPS. Whether we get there is another thing entirely :) We won't drop the 'everything dynamic' aspects to make it happen at all times is the point.

PS we didn't say we wouldn't be a solid 60 on XboxX. We might well be.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^This.

I'm also hyped for AI. No brake checking into corners. Fighting to maintain position. I did a 10minute Group 5 at Willow Springs. From the 2nd lap, after everything settled down, I hit my marks and couldn't reel in the car ahead. I was setting my fastest laps and would get to about 5 car lengths, but that was it.
The AI behind, couldn't get along side as I was smooth on throttle and shifting early in the BMW.
Such a rich experience offline. Can't wait.

We are targeting a solid 60 FPS. Whether we get there is another thing entirely :) We won't drop the 'everything dynamic' aspects to make it happen at all times is the point.

This may be not be the norm but this is my experience with PC as recent as today...

1. Got game through xbox gold membership a few months ago
2. downloaded and got into a car and selected a track
3. could not keep the car on the track no matter how hard a tried.
4. played a few for about 1hr then uninstalled it. Just couldn't keep the car on the road, very frustrating.
5. returned to playing forza 6
6. Started researching some upcoming racing games for 2017, plus getting myself a steering wheel.
7. saw some of the features coming up in PC3 and FM7
8. reinstalled PC about a week ago. Car still not drivable then remembered reading something about controller settings.
9. Did some research online, got some "setting" that makes the game "manageable"
10. took me about 3 hours to get something that "worked". My thought process was "I'm testing a controller setting like I would be testing a car, WTF?"
11. Started a career mode yesterday June 24 2017. 125cc kart, got to Dubai Kartdrome (sp?) and the game just came slowing down and speeding me up which resulted in me just running into barriers. (had to do about 3 restarts on a 15 lap race, one restart was on lap 9. Because the game decided to speed up mid corner and launch me into the barriers. Thanks.)
12. Game is testing my patience in areas it really shouldn't be.
13. Came to GTPlanet to see some new vidoes to keep me hyped about this game, saw above comments and decided to post.
14. I want to order PC2 because I have outgrown FM but I'm thinking I NEED a demo before I spend my money.

Now I am not a noob by any means (well except to PC) but if this is a typical experience for new or potential customer, SMS needs to do a bit better job than this.

1. Get the controls right.
2. Performance issues (dropped frames is a non-starter) in a game of precision and consistency. If you can't do 60FPS all the time, then do 30FPS all the time. Saying which if a drop from 60 to 50 does not cause issues then fine. But playability should not be sacrificed for "features".

My $0.02

This may be not be the norm but this is my experience with PC as recent as today...

1. Got game through xbox gold membership a few months ago
2. downloaded and got into a car and selected a track
3. could not keep the car on the track no matter how hard a tried.
4. played a few for about 1hr then uninstalled it. Just couldn't keep the car on the road, very frustrating.
5. returned to playing forza 6
6. Started researching some upcoming racing games for 2017, plus getting myself a steering wheel.
7. saw some of the features coming up in PC3 and FM7
8. reinstalled PC about a week ago. Car still not drivable then remembered reading something about controller settings.
9. Did some research online, got some "setting" that makes the game "manageable"
10. took me about 3 hours to get something that "worked". My thought process was "I'm testing a controller setting like I would be testing a car, WTF?"
11. Started a career mode yesterday June 24 2017. 125cc kart, got to Dubai Kartdrome (sp?) and the game just came slowing down and speeding me up which resulted in me just running into barriers. (had to do about 3 restarts on a 15 lap race, one restart was on lap 9. Because the game decided to speed up mid corner and launch me into the barriers. Thanks.)
12. Game is testing my patience in areas it really shouldn't be.
13. Came to GTPlanet to see some new vidoes to keep me hyped about this game, saw above comments and decided to post.
14. I want to order PC2 because I have outgrown FM but I'm thinking I NEED a demo before I spend my money.

Now I am not a noob by any means (well except to PC) but if this is a typical experience for new or potential customer, SMS needs to do a bit better job than this.

1. Get the controls right.
2. Performance issues (dropped frames is a non-starter) in a game of precision and consistency. If you can't do 60FPS all the time, then do 30FPS all the time. Saying which if a drop from 60 to 50 does not cause issues then fine. But playability should not be sacrificed for "features".

My $0.02

Yes Sir.

I should add that I agree with your 'out of the box playability' comments on PC1. It was an issue and one of the first things we tackled for Project CARS 2.

The game slowing down and speeding up isn't an issue we've seen though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Sir.

I should add that I agree with your 'out of the box playability' comments on PC1. It was an issue and one of the first things we tackled for Project CARS 2.

The game slowing down and speeding up isn't an issue we've seen though...

I really do appreciate how you guys interact with the community 👍.

I'm not speaking for everyone out there, nor am I trying to but from what I seen (limited time) PC1 seems to have left a bad taste with some gamers. Will you guys be doing a closed beta or even a limited demo so the persons who like me who didn't have a pleasant OOB experience with PC1 can feel comforted that these issues have been resolved?

Those who come to the forums are but a tiny subset of your potential customers, why not try to reach even the passive gamer and someone who like me may have written this game off.

Thanks again for your responses and effort. GJ

Back