Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments

I'd hazard a guess with those having the same livery as cars in the first game that at least the Focus will be in. Hopefully the Mazda will make it too but not having a livery makes me less optimistic than the Ford. Speaking of MARC cars, are there any other manufacturer participants of that program?

I'd hazard a guess with those having the same livery as cars in the first game that at least the Focus will be in. Hopefully the Mazda will make it too but not having a livery makes me less optimistic than the Ford. Speaking of MARC cars, are there any other manufacturer participants of that program?
Glad you asked. :D

In South Africa, Audi, VW & BMW participate in their GTC.
images

d00ZMxLUuUNwZoz-AqcHxp1FgdS5FNvD0EUYWhUQ3-2Ty9R_QZyN3DTh-unMcsjhbRpIIf9vbqqV9MPa8x3kmfyJBVrWpK_JCCLVxnNk1bpRq7gTZY3VhZKxQzt9UbH8LxqcHcH1aHBuVP6IBk_adw=w470-h313-nc

Some more comments from the Wookie:

'OK, no specifics but the handling is transformed now. The real drivers are now raving about it (for many of the cars, the rest are in progress) when they started out (at our request) fairly negative overall. This is all up on WMD2 and the thousands in there have seen it unfold over the last year to what we have now.

Another huge breakthrough we've made is in the pad control code. It's really 1000% easier to handle with the pad now that we've nailed the filters and in combination with the much more realistic over the limit handling..'

Another huge breakthrough we've made is in the pad control code. It's really 1000% easier to handle with the pad now that we've nailed the filters and in combination with the much more realistic over the limit handling..'

Even though I play with a wheel, this sounds really good, because it sounds like they've worked hard specifically on the over the limit handling, which is where the Pcars1 physics fell flat. The physics up to the limit were frankly really good in Pcars1, but when you were pushing the limits of the cars, and going beyond them, that's where the weird behaviour started.

I won't be pre-ordering or anything after the way the first game released in such a sad state, but it's all sounding quite positive so far for the sequel.

I took a look over on the forum and Ian added this a few posts later:
Ian Bell
Just to be slightly more specific on this point, even those that like to 'tap steer' will find that our new filters work beautifully and give a very affirming experience (disclaimer, I'm a pad tap steerer...).
Great news. 👍 I'm glad SMS is doing it properly instead of placating the vindictive wheel snobs who think driving a car should be unnecessarily difficult with a controller, "because simulator."

I took a look over on the forum and Ian added this a few posts later:

Great news. 👍 I'm glad SMS is doing it properly instead of placating the vindictive wheel snobs who think driving a car should be unnecessarily difficult with a controller, "because simulator."
I rather like the way PCARS feels on a pad. I hope these changes don't make playing on a pad slower for the sake of feel. So long as it doesn't feel like Forza Motorsport I guess I'll be fine.

I rather like the way PCARS feels on a pad. I hope these changes don't make playing on a pad slower for the sake of feel. So long as it doesn't feel like Forza Motorsport I guess I'll be fine.
I'm assuming you'll be able to tweak the steering to be as direct as it is in PCARS1. I do hope the current Mode 3 is an option, just in case what I'm using now is better than what SMS have come up with.

Back to the day job. Because I haven't got any uni.

Apparently this.
Mascot
OK, I'm just going to float this out there. A little bird told me that physics-based effects for tracks and environments are being dialled up to eleven for pCARS 2, and that weather and atmospheric effects are of biblical proportions. Stuff that puts all other racing sims to shame, I'm led to believe. In general terms and without busting NDAs wide open, how much truth is there in this, and how many locusts constitute a plague?

So, I take it, on consoles, when the rain stops, we'll get spray from cars going through puddles. Snow and black ice. ;)
I knew not to expect all that in PCARS1, but I was still surprised to see heat shimmer and >30°C temperatures on tracks like Road America in December! We've had unusually warm weather here for January over the past week, but by that I mean ~35°F. :)

Currently, the date system only seems useful for positioning celestial bodies. I'm looking forward to proper seasonal weather and some changes in scenery!

I wonder if the driving physics of pCARS 2 will match Assetto Corsa if not do better? It's gonna be a close one I reckon.
As a start I'd love to know how many laser scanned tracks we'll get this time around to help with this matter.

As a start I'd love to know how many laser scanned tracks we'll get this time around to help with this matter.
It will be at least the MSV tracks apart from Donington because that deal was probably too late to laser scan.

It will be at least the MSV tracks apart from Donington because that deal was probably too late to laser scan.
I was hoping they'd use some of the funds from the 2m copies sold to pay for more laser scanning, but if they've instead used it to get more 'upper tier' car licenses and other tracks that's fine, but hopefully they've implemented some finer detailing to their surface mesh system too.

Is that way Assetto Corsa doesn't have as many tracks as they make sure to laser scan everything?
I guess so. All tracks on console are laser scanned apart from Zandvoort which I believe was a mod but it still feels pretty good to drive, so scanning isn't the be all and end all it seems. They also have a small team so perhaps not the manpower to go out and scan more tracks but scanning is a major thing for them so we're unlikely to see many more tracks appear on console. A middle ground between the 2 would be nice.

Since there's nothing going around from what I know, shall we play Guess the Circuit?
25673195860_071422b2c9_o.jpg

25852936862_11a4431cc2_o.jpg

From track map alone, (And I don't know the circuit that well) it looks to be Anglesey.

These shots are prehistoric, I know which track it is but it's not recognizable from these shots and looks much nicer nowadays ;-)

Back