Project Cars 2 on PS4 Pro

• Thread starter Chinokinha
  • 34 comments
Portugal
Portugal
Hi guys,
Let me tell you first that i am Portuguese, and my english is far from good.
I have a PS4 Slim and i absolute love PC2. My only issue is the pixelization, poor AA??, on some races, in the begining of the race and specially at night.
I am considering the change to PS4 Pro. Can anyone, who previously had a PS4 Slim and now have PS4 Pro, tell me if this still happen on the Pro?
I have searched and do not find any answer to this question.
On Xbox One X i belive this is resolved, but on PS4 Pro
I do not have 4K TV at the moment, only 1080p but i will, in a near future.

Can some one help me?
Thanks in advance,

I've never had anything other than a pro and have never really been bothered by any particular graphics issues that seem to affect others.

I have a 1080p monitor I find that if I switch on the Pro's super sampling and use PC2s enhanced resolution mode it provides the crispest image. I believe the game then thinks I have a 4k display and outputs accordingly but then the Pro down scales the image to the 1080p format to produce a clearer image. The enhanced graphics mode is also very good on a 1080p display and runs quite smoothly.

The main benefit of the Pro though is extra fps smoothness. More cars and features with less stuttering.

There will probably be someone along who can compare both versions of the console.

You'd never know. Welcome to GTPlanet. 👍

Hi guys,
I have a PS4 Slim and i absolute love PC2. My only issue is the pixelization, poor AA??, on some races, in the begining of the race and specially at night.
I am considering the change to PS4 Pro. Can anyone, who previously had a PS4 Slim and now have PS4 Pro, tell me if this still happen on the Pro?
I have searched and do not find any answer to this question.
On Xbox One X i belive this is resolved, but on PS4 Pro
I do not have 4K TV at the moment, only 1080p but i will, in a near future.

Can some one help me?
Thanks in advance,
You may want to check this out.

Thanks 35mm, i guess it does not play to trade for the Ps4 Pro. So sad :(
To be totally fair, when using "Enhanced Resolution" mode, the issue I mention in those post does not happen.
So, you can still have a better experience overall than using the original PS4. Not perfect, but better.

Not sure it's worth a console upgrade just for this game, though.

On base PS4 the game targets 1080p @ 60fps and of course it does not always manage that and dynamic resolution scaling will drop the settings in order to maintain a decent framerate.

On Pro the target is 1440p @ 60Hz and it seems to be there for a lot of the time but again the engine will scale down in order to maintain framerate.

It looks better on Pro. Whether I'd upgrade from base to Pro for PC2 though is a different matter. I was late to the PS4 party so jumped straight in with the Pro so it was not something I had to consider.

I guess a lot depends on what you can get for the old PS4 when you get the Pro. It's a worthy upgrade, particularly in steadying framerates at higher grid counts, but the day/night transitions, and a few track spots with heavy resource use (3rd turn on the infield at Texas is still bad) will still be noticeable.

If visual fidelity is your thing, maybe saving for a PC (and selling the PS4!) is your best option?

I had my issues when I first got PC2 and the Pro a year ago. Updates and setting my in game settings to Enhanced Resolution have sorted a lot of it, and the 4K helps no end! But my bar is fairly low, coming from GT6 and a 1080P TV. The Pro, PC2 and a 4K is a massive step up, but it isn't visually up to GTS. But the other pluses (car and track selection, weather, Livetrack and ToD) massively outweigh GTS's visual edge.

But if you really want that level of visuals without going to GTS's dumbed down handling and lack of weather and ToD (which are what is actually chewing up your poor PS4 Slim!) a gaming PC would seem to be the way to go.

Might be best to save and save, and wait for the upgrade until you can get the Pro and the 4K at the same time. The huge bump in resolution will wow you, even if your framerate issues don't completely go away!

Can it handle a wet night race at Long Beach or Monaco with all the lights and everything and not have any anti-aliasing?

These are roughly the graphics of this game on the Ps4 or the Ps4 pro. It seems this game is so demanding that they had to sacrifice graphics fidelity to make all those LiveTrack3.0 features work.
I have a Ps4 pro and a 4k TV running enhanced resolution. While it's definitely better than what I had on the PS4/1080p combo, it's not mindblowing. You still see lots of pixels especially in night races (it's like it's a 720p or lower in "night and rain" races).

I find that it's the transitions, particularly with highly accelerated time, that taxes the console the most. 30X or 60X realtime can get quite bad at dusk and dawn, but tends to settle down during the full night period.

But it gets a bit better if you don't run hugely accelerated time. Mind you, that denies you the ability to run a full day/dusk/night/dawn/day cycle in any reasonable amount of time. If the price paid to get it is a bit of framerate and AA issues, it's a price I'm willing to pay.

I mean, who wants to either wait another five years or more for a game that MIGHT not tax the next two generation's console speeds (if you buy into the pipedream that SMS won't design the next two generation games for the next two generation's PC's and leave the consoles where they currently stand, unable to match the PC version's graphics!) when, with a bit of tolerance for less than perfect visuals, you can have it NOW..?!

Consoles are what they are... always trailing the leading edge. But pay 4-8 times as much for a bleeding edge PC, you can have it all NOW. Choice is yours!

I started on PS4 with a Pro model and rarely notice any graphical issues.

Regarding day and night transitions - I much prefer to simulate a drivers stint which would typically be between 1 and 3 hours and then accelerate this into a 30minute race. The speed of the sunset or sunrise is then much more realistic and the experience more credible / enjoyable.

I personally settled on 15x for a speed that is fast enough to allow for a change in lighting over a 10-15 minute race without the acceleration being too noticeable. 👍

I normally run 20-30x time speed, 15-20mins races, start at 7am, current date.
Which normally works out at dawn to dusk (depending on location).
Then use the 4 different cloud settings (light, medium, heavy, overcast) in random orders at sync to race.
Really does put on a wonderful light show, especially when you throw a little thunderstorm in the mix.

However I'm currently doing Fuji at dusk with real time over 30mins with a little storm in between, watching the sun set slowly over the mountain while it reflects off the wet track is something very beautiful indeed.

The amount of times I've crashed because I'm looking at the sky admiring it is funny, I'm like a moth (ahh the light, it's so beautiful.... SMASH) :lol:

Last edited:
45 min races, start from the back, 4pm start, 20X time, get a rhythm before sunset, race through the night and battle for the lead at dawn...

Nirvana!

Not much of a fan of any race shorter than 40min. Too arcade!

Ah @Mr Grumpy light shows at Fuji are always pretty.

Try these settings sometime.
Race length = 25 minutes (no pitstop)

Time/date
Default date
16:00 start time
5x progression
Spring
(from default)

Weather
4 slots - Light rain / Medium cloud / Light cloud / Hazy
15x progression

The weather pattern is repeated approximately 1.75 times but it'll look slightly different because of the time progression. It shouldn't rain for too long but wet the track enough to make it interesting.

There's a slightly random transition but in general it'll start wet then the rain will quite quickly stop and the track slowly dries. Followed mid race with a further shower with the track drying again. Hopefully it shouldn't be raining but with the sun just setting to the right of Mount Fuji as the race ends, with some nice effects,

You'll start on wets but don't change them mid race because it'll rain again. You might need to find some standing water to keep them cool though.
They should produce something like this...

I've included the full race because it's quite an epic battle with the 3 guys out front but the best lighting effects start just after mid race - 12 to 15 mins left.

@IfAndOr beautiful mate, just beautiful.

It's odd though considering the elevation of Fuji compared to Dubai how much less puddles form at the lower part of the track.
Fuji looks like 1 big ice rink with about 2 puddles, where as Dubai has a river of a road leading down to the hairpin :lol:

Does anyone else think that SMS's model for how much water is pumped off the track by rain tires is a bit flawed? Especially at accelerated time. To my eyes, I seem to see drier lines forming a LOT faster in anything other than torrential rain (which would get most races red flagged nowadays) watching real racing (been to enough of them as a spectator, too!).

I think there's room for improvement in how fast tracks waterlog, and how fast a drier line appears in PC2. It seems a lot of subtlety has been lost in an effort to go 'Look at our weather, see how extreme it can get!' despite that having little to do with real racing.

You mentioned "accelerated time". Shouldn't that phenomenon/process be also accelerated? (genuinely asking here).

Back