Project Cars 2 on PS4 Pro

• Thread starter Chinokinha
  • 34 comments
Oh so you have 2 options for 2 different accelerations?! (time and weather) I never noticed that. Interesting.
I thought that when you accelerate time it is very natural for weather to accelerate since the weather is synced/progresses with time along the race.

The issue is even with accelerated weather the track doesn't dry out as quickly as it gets soaked, I've tested this & even wrote a post somewhere, I'll try & find it.

Here it is.

Just found an annoying issue regarding increasing weather cycles, (x60 anyway).

I wasn't even doing this kind of test as I was trying to figure out how random, random weather actually was, (turns out it's pretty random).

Anyway, it turns out that the track takes ages to get dry again after it only takes seconds to get wet, remember this is a x60 weather test.

So the settings are, 60 minute race with 60x weather cycle & 4x weather slots, 3x clear sky, 1x random, set in summer at 12:00 with timescale set off (so it stays as hot as can be).

Now if my maths are correct then x60 weather cycle should mean a change of weather every 1 minute, so after 3 minutes of racing in pure sunshine I should start to see a change in weather (random remember) as the 4th minute approaches.

I do, it goes foggy for a minute (quickly changing) before returning to sunshine again as 4x weather slots start over from the beginning, which again lasts 3 minutes. Now this time I got a thunderstorm as my 4th weather pattern, the track get saturated quickly & rightly so, that's what I've asked it do.

Here is where the issue starts, the rain has stopped, the cycle begins again. I get 3mins of sun followed by cloud. Cycle again, I get 3mins of sun followed by fog, this goes on for another 8 minutes/2 more 4x cycles before it decides to give me rain again on my 4th random weather slot.

Now the issue is it took less than 10 seconds for the track to get absolutely soaked the 1st time it rained but 16 minutes/16 dry cycles later I'm still on wet tyres because although a dry racing line has appeared, there are still puddles everywhere which gives me no incentive to pit for slicks again for the remainder of the 1hr race as I know at some random point it will/might rain again (which it did).

If this was real time it would be 1hr of thunderstorm followed by 16hrs of 40° heat (give or take the odd cloud cover) in the peak of summer.

Surly it should dry up quicker no, Am I wrong?

Sorry for the long post & still loving the game regardless of my inquiry/moan about the weather.

I am British after all

The issue is even with accelerated weather the track doesn't dry out as quickly as it gets soaked, I've tested this & even wrote a post somewhere, I'll try & find it.

Here it is.

Just found an annoying issue regarding increasing weather cycles, (x60 anyway).

I wasn't even doing this kind of test as I was trying to figure out how random, random weather actually was, (turns out it's pretty random).

Anyway, it turns out that the track takes ages to get dry again after it only takes seconds to get wet, remember this is a x60 weather test.

So the settings are, 60 minute race with 60x weather cycle & 4x weather slots, 3x clear sky, 1x random, set in summer at 12:00 with timescale set off (so it stays as hot as can be).

Now if my maths are correct then x60 weather cycle should mean a change of weather every 1 minute, so after 3 minutes of racing in pure sunshine I should start to see a change in weather (random remember) as the 4th minute approaches.

I do, it goes foggy for a minute (quickly changing) before returning to sunshine again as 4x weather slots start over from the beginning, which again lasts 3 minutes. Now this time I got a thunderstorm as my 4th weather pattern, the track get saturated quickly & rightly so, that's what I've asked it do.

Here is where the issue starts, the rain has stopped, the cycle begins again. I get 3mins of sun followed by cloud. Cycle again, I get 3mins of sun followed by fog, this goes on for another 8 minutes/2 more 4x cycles before it decides to give me rain again on my 4th random weather slot.

Now the issue is it took less than 10 seconds for the track to get absolutely soaked the 1st time it rained but 16 minutes/16 dry cycles later I'm still on wet tyres because although a dry racing line has appeared, there are still puddles everywhere which gives me no incentive to pit for slicks again for the remainder of the 1hr race as I know at some random point it will/might rain again (which it did).

If this was real time it would be 1hr of thunderstorm followed by 16hrs of 40° heat (give or take the odd cloud cover) in the peak of summer.

Surly it should dry up quicker no, Am I wrong?

Sorry for the long post & still loving the game regardless of my inquiry/moan about the weather.

I am British after all

In real life it does take much longer for a road surface to dry than to get wet. Obviously this depends on the ambient temperature and the road surface temperature. On a cold day the surface may not dry at all. The effect in the game may be exaggerated or inaccurate.

I think the puddle effects in the game are exaggerated. When there is excessive standing water on tracks or a flow of water across the surface, the race will normally be stopped or go into a safety car period. A lot of effort is put into drainage in real life and when an area of poor drainage is highlighted it will normally be fixed by the track owners in time for the next season (if practicable).

Goodyear introduced Monsoon Wets to F1 (circa 1970?) which, due to their tread pattern were capable of flinging a very high quantity of water out to the sides. A complete field of F1 or F5000 cars with these tyres were able to produce a dry line on a track very quickly, provided that the rain had stopped.

For these reasons I think you are right that the wetness in the game is probably exaggerated. The problem is exacerbated by the AI running on a simplified tyre model and seemingly being unaffected.

In real life it does take much longer for a road surface to dry than to get wet. Obviously this depends on the ambient temperature and the road surface temperature. On a cold day the surface may not dry at all. The effect in the game may be exaggerated or inaccurate.

I think the puddle effects in the game are exaggerated. When there is excessive standing water on tracks or a flow of water across the surface, the race will normally be stopped or go into a safety car period. A lot of effort is put into drainage in real life and when an area of poor drainage is highlighted it will normally be fixed by the track owners in time for the next season (if practicable).

Goodyear introduced Monsoon Wets to F1 (circa 1970?) which, due to their tread pattern were capable of flinging a very high quantity of water out to the sides. A complete field of F1 or F5000 cars with these tyres were able to produce a dry line on a track very quickly, provided that the rain had stopped.

For these reasons I think you are right that the wetness in the game is probably exaggerated. The problem is exacerbated by the AI running on a simplified tyre model and seemingly being unaffected.
Absolutely agree with the cold weather statement (probably still a bit generous) but that's why I tested it on a hot day.

Even in England in the summer when it rains it's about 2hrs before it's dry again (4hrs max) when the sun comes out again & that's what 30° if we're lucky.

So on a race track where ground temp is even higher & you got cars whizzing around drying up the place I think yeh your right, exaggerated is the right term here.

Possibly the only thing SMS need tweak is the amount of virtual water pumped away by tires. It might be nice to have an option whether small grids can accelerate the dry line appearing, as particularly on console a) you got smaller max grids, and b) you generally got much smaller online grids.

SMS may have calculated dry line appearance based on max PC grids, which is a hell of a lot bigger than most consoles can run.

Back