project cars 2 psvr

• Thread starter lotusteve
  • 31 comments
Nothing official, but my guess it's not supported. PS4 is not very powerful and will not be able to handle this game properly.

I bought PSVR mainly because PCars said they were supporting it. Now PCars2 is looking very unlikely, even Gran Turismo hasn't managed it properly. My PSVR is for sale, it's very good but the PS4 just can't hack it.

I bought PSVR mainly because PCars said they were supporting it. Now PCars2 is looking very unlikely, even Gran Turismo hasn't managed it properly. My PSVR is for sale, it's very good but the PS4 just can't hack it.
I have a midrange/high end PC and I can run pCARS1 at medium settings. PS4 is about 3.5 times slower on the GPU side and maybe around 2-2.5 times on the CPU side, so you can see how far away from being able to handle pCARS in VR PS4 is.

I understand that and am fine with it. PSVR (and VR in general) is really ****ing cool, I just think the 2nd or 3rd generation VR is where we'll finally have a really immersive driving experience.

I understand that and am fine with it. PSVR (and VR in general) is really ****ing cool, I just think the 2nd or 3rd generation VR is where we'll finally have a really immersive driving experience.
Totally agree, the screen resolution boost and the eye-tracking tech is what we need to take it to next level.

Already communicated a couple of months ago that PC VR is supported from day one and PSVR not. It is not clear yet if PSVR will be supported in future updates.

this game will support psvr.. should be good in vr..

Not "should". IT IS awesome in VR. But I would advise anyone to go to PC land for VR. I'm not seeing consoles handling simracing in VR in a near future. That's my opinion at least. Would be great to be proven wrong.

It might work for 1 car in a track for hot lapping but what's the point of that?

I'm saying this because... well... I do have a VIVE and an OC intel i5 with an OC gtx1080 which I believe it's better than any current gen console (i'm out of it wrt to consoles though) and I still can't be near high settings. Not that those make a whole lot of difference in current VR HW but...

This ofc, for those who think immersion is worth the downgrade in graphics... like me. VR is not for everybody.

BUMP
Gonna bump this one instead of making a new thread.

Is anyone using the cinematic mode of the PSVR with Pcars2?!
Experience? Working good? Recommended?
Any footage?!

Thanks.

BUMP
Gonna bump this one instead of making a new thread.

Is anyone using the cinematic mode of the PSVR with Pcars2?!
Experience? Working good? Recommended?
Any footage?!

Thanks.
Yes I'm playing in cinematic mode with the psvr and it's great when you configure the FOV to match the large cinematic screen of the psvr.

You cant capture the footage from the cinematic mode as the screen it fixed on the tv, but in the mode you do look around to see the large cinematic screen. I made a video explaining how to set it up end described how it works. I think it is a pretty good option to have and feel natural. I do tilt and look to the apex with the psvr on in cinematic large screen. This is almost a better option to for racing in VR in consoles, as we have seen on GT Sport you can only race against one car and the graphics get down graded when in VR bc so much processing power is needed to handle the depth movements that true VR allows... For racing I prefer the full game in cockpit mode with this FOV trick to get the full game features bc really who will be exploring the depth of VR when racing? Its nice in the showroom or crusing, but for actual racing a 120 deg FOV cinematic screen representation would be even better. Id like the true PC power VR mode, but this is PS4 and in full VR the game might have to sacrifice some graphics, for racing this is sufficient.

Last edited:
Yes I'm playing in cinematic mode with the psvr and it's great when you configure the FOV to match the large cinematic screen of the psvr.

You cant capture the footage from the cinematic mode as the screen it fixed on the tv, but in the mode you do look around to see the large cinematic screen. I made a video explaining how to set it up end described how it works. I think it is a pretty good option to have and feel natural. I do tilt and look to the apex with the psvr on in cinematic large screen. This is almost a better option to for racing in VR in consoles, as we have seen on GT Sport you can only race against one car and the graphics get down graded when in VR bc so much processing power is needed to handle the depth movements that true VR allows... For racing I prefer the full game in cockpit mode with this FOV trick to get the full game features bc really who will be exploring the depth of VR when racing? Its nice in the showroom or crusing, but for actual racing a 120 deg FOV cinematic screen representation would be even better. Id like the true PC power VR mode, but this is PS4 and in full VR the game might have to sacrifice some graphics, for racing this is sufficient.

Oh great news!
So you think getting a VR is smarter/better than getting a bigger 4k TV?! I mean the latter may cost like double the former!
How does it look in that VR? Is it too grainy and pixelated?!

Oh great news!
So you think getting a VR is smarter/better than getting a bigger 4k TV?! I mean the latter may cost like double the former!
How does it look in that VR? Is it too grainy and pixelated?!

Tv you can watch with others tough.

It is not grainy, you have to adjust the headset right to make it clear.
The VR cenimatic mode is really large and nice. Its like being at the movies front row. 3d movies do look great watching this way, i tried Avatar in 3d, it was really impressive, much better than wearing 3d glasses looking at a 3d screen... The headset can get tiresome, i had to break loose the rubber elastic that was on it and just manually tighten it to my comfort level. Once i adjusted and wore the heatset better I could wear it longer. But at first i could only stand to wear it for a short time.

I like both as options, i wouldnt be ablr tp solely use the headset though i feel tired having it on too long.

A bit of a grave dig on this thread, I tried this for the first time last night after picking up a PSVR, and with the FOV set to 100 (which seems to be accurate for the screen size its recreating) its great.

While I would prefer VR its not going to happen on the PS4, and this is a solid alternative.

A bit of a grave dig on this thread, I tried this for the first time last night after picking up a PSVR, and with the FOV set to 100 (which seems to be accurate for the screen size its recreating) its great.

While I would prefer VR its not going to happen on the PS4, and this is a solid alternative.

Does it make a big enough difference to justify buying PSVR? I don't have PSVR and considering getting it. I am just not sure if it is worth it.

Does it make a big enough difference to justify buying PSVR? I don't have PSVR and considering getting it. I am just not sure if it is worth it.
For that alone, no would be my view.

I picked one up as I can run in cinematic with PC2 and AC, but also full VR for GTS, Dirt 4 and Wipeout (as well as other non racing related stuff).

I picked one up as I can run in cinematic with PC2 and AC, but also full VR for GTS, Dirt 4 and Wipeout (as well as other non racing related stuff).
Resident Evil 7 is supposed to make you seriously pee your pants when creeping around corners and what not. I don't doubt it in VR.

I'll probably try to borrow it from somebody for a couple of days to test it. I guess this is something I would need to experience for myself.

While i certainly enjoyed it too, i skipped on using it (on both AC and PC2) because of the inherent screen drift in the Psvr cinema mode. It just drifts too much and whatever I tried i couldn’t fix it so i had to stop using it which is a bummer.

While i certainly enjoyed it too, i skipped on using it (on both AC and PC2) because of the inherent screen drift in the Psvr cinema mode. It just drifts too much and whatever I tried i couldn’t fix it so i had to stop using it which is a bummer.

What do you mean by screen drift?

What do you mean by screen drift?
In non-compatible VR games, like PC2 or AC, you can still play the game on the psvr but it’s on a big 2D screen in front of you, similar to a cinema screen.
The screen drift is when that virtual TV start drifting to one side (left or right) all by itself. So after a while, say the screen drifted to the right, I’ll have to turn my head to the right to keep looking straight st that TV.
The problem is that it keeps drifting with time until there’s no way to keep looking at it so i will have to reset the image. That’s not a big issue when playing offline but in an online race, keeping pressing options button for 3sec for the screen to reset itself to middle isn’t feasible and will ruin the race.

In non-compatible VR games, like PC2 or AC, you can still play the game on the psvr but it’s on a big 2D screen in front of you, similar to a cinema screen.
The screen drift is when that virtual TV start drifting to one side (left or right) all by itself. So after a while, say the screen drifted to the right, I’ll have to turn my head to the right to keep looking straight st that TV.
The problem is that it keeps drifting with time until there’s no way to keep looking at it so i will have to reset the image. That’s not a big issue when playing offline but in an online race, keeping pressing options button for 3sec for the screen to reset itself to middle isn’t feasible and will ruin the race.
No doubt you're aware of this, but just in case you aren't, reassigning pause to another button helps with this issue.

I don't know if it's down to the camera being on top of my TV and the position of my rig, but I don't seem to suffer much with it.

@Woodybobs how do i assign a different button sir!?

@Scaff i have my camera on top of my tv as well, which is on a completely independent stand. I tried putting it elsewhere too. I try reboots. I tried nearly every tip out there and watched every video and read every reddit.
There’s 2 things to know here:
1- the camera usual typical tracking is not used at all in cinema mode. If you notice the front lights are turned off in cinema mode. It’s the built in accelerometer/gyroscope taking the role in keeping that virtual cinema screen in place. I even covered the camera by a piece of clothes (as someone on reddit said it helped)and it didn’t help nor did it affect anything at all, and tracking kept working.
2- the issue is with the built in gyroscope not calibrating right after starting the psvr. Some say keep it on a flat surface for 10sec after booting it before touching it. I keep it for 1min and the issue still happens. Yet sometimes it seems kinda acceptable (small rate of drift) while other times i can’t complete a single lap without having to recenter it.

@Woodybobs how do i assign a different button sir!?

@Scaff i have my camera on top of my tv as well, which is on a completely independent stand. I tried putting it elsewhere too. I try reboots. I tried nearly every tip out there and watched every video and read every reddit.
There’s 2 things to know here:
1- the camera usual typical tracking is not used at all in cinema mode. If you notice the front lights are turned off in cinema mode. It’s the built in accelerometer/gyroscope taking the role in keeping that virtual cinema screen in place. I even covered the camera by a piece of clothes (as someone on reddit said it helped)and it didn’t help nor did it affect anything at all, and tracking kept working.
2- the issue is with the built in gyroscope not calibrating right after starting the psvr. Some say keep it on a flat surface for 10sec after booting it before touching it. I keep it for 1min and the issue still happens. Yet sometimes it seems kinda acceptable (small rate of drift) while other times i can’t complete a single lap without having to recenter it.

I have also read (which may or may not be true) that the lighting balance in the room can be a cause of it occurring as well, the room I use does have completely symmetrical lighting, but that could just be a coincidence.

@Georgeagea It's one of the in game button assignments. It can only be changed in options on the home screen. If you've started a race it will be greyed out.
It’s greyed out for me even in the main menu before i start anything!

I have also read (which may or may not be true) that the lighting balance in the room can be a cause of it occurring as well, the room I use does have completely symmetrical lighting, but that could just be a coincidence.
What you’re saying applies to regular true VR mode. But since in cinema mode the camera is not used at all, the lighting has nothing to do with it.

Back