Project Cars 2 questions

• Thread starter shnooby2
  • 62 comments
Canada
Canada
Hello there!
I've been playing GT sport for the last year, but I've really wanted to give PC2 a go. I'm looking for a new challenge, and I'm kind of tired of GT sports lack of single player content, although I do still think the online play is one of the best in console racing. I had a few questions about PC2 and would appreciate your feedback.

How is the clutch implementation and force feedback? (It sucks in GT sport, especially the clutch implementation)
How many cars are on the grid? (Offline, PS4)
Can you do custom races/championships?
I don't really plan on playing it online, but if I ever would, how does it compare to GT sport? Is there a penalty system? How's the matchmaking (is there matchmaking)? Do they have scheduled races like GT sport?

I really love the track selection, day/night cycle, and weather options that PC2 offers. Can you speed up time in an endurance race so that let's say for example you did an hour long endurance race, you could start in the day and end in the night?

What are your favorite features about PC2 that GT sport doesn't have?

Let me first say that I came from GT sport myself. My profile is likely different from yours as I’m not a great driver and I prefer offline racing. However, I have been fortunate to get with a good group of guys who race really well and clean online. However, you will likely have to find people through this site and go into private rooms because, from what I understand, the online database of drivers is not even a fraction of what it is for GTS

The career mode is terrific and You have numerous options. As you achieve things in your career you’ll get invitations to drive in special events. There are a bunch to pick from

If you’re anything like me, you will love the fact that you can set up a full race weekend. You can set up a custom race to have a practice session followed by a qualifying session followed by the race itself. It’s great fun for me. This also applies to career mode, not just custom races

I caution you not to give up on project cars two if it’s difficult in the beginning. At least, for me, it was. The cars behave differently, sound differently, and based on a number of factors you will have to get used to all of them . It is the polar opposite of GTS . GTS is basically for anyone and that includes me, who is not a very skilled sim racer. This game forces you to really understand weight shift and breaking points. It’s nearly impossible to get away with driving recklessly and saving the car when you get in trouble .I am not saying that’s the way you drive. I’m just pointing out a difference. I’ll leave it up to the experts to explain how true to life the physics of this game are

To your question about endurance races starting in the day and ending at night, the answer is yes and the options are limitless. You can start a race in the rain and then go to sunshine and then go to overcast if you please. You add your own weather slots and there are a bunch of options including the option to race in a blizzard.

You might also like another fundamental difference, and that is in the difficulty of the AI opponents. Instead of beginner, intermediate, and professional, you can set the AI difficulty from zero all the way to 120, I believe. You can use that slider for both categories which are AI skill and AI aggression.

And, since you mentioned endurance race, wait until you can set up a multi class race with four different classes of cars . It is a game changer and tons of fun.

There are way more experience guys on this site who can help you more than me and probably answer whatever questions I didn’t.

Welcome to the best for him on this site. The project cars guys are very mature. You won’t find a lot of punks here. You will find a lot of helpful people

Hope you fall in love like most of us have, with this beautiful game

Last edited:
Offline grids can have up to 32 cars, though I recommend sticking to 16-24 cars at most because the console versions can't handle more cars very well, especially with inclement weather thrown in (I have a PS4 Slim). This makes things a bit sketchy in some career mode races, but otherwise it's nice to at least have the option even if it isn't always ideal. I believe the online limit is 16 cars.

There are no custom championships, just single races.

On the subject of a learning curve coming from GTS, while SMS have made substantial improvements and fixes to the game since launch, you should know that not every single car is dialed in quite right. If you have difficulties, I recommend sampling other cars to be sure you didn't pick one of the few bad apples. The right ones rank among the best experiences I've had in sim racing. :)

I'd offer input on your other questions but I haven't played PCARS2 online or with a wheel and I don't have GT Sport.

There are way more experience guys on this site who can help you more than me and probably answer whatever questions I didn’t.
I don't know, I think you did a pretty good job. It's made me want to buy it again. :P

A couple of extra answers
How is the clutch implementation
It's very good. it's progressive unlike GTS's on and off approach.

and force feedback?
FFB is quite a personal thing, everybody wanting slightly different effects. But PC2 has lots of FFB settings that should enable you to configure it to just how you like it. It may look like too many options at first but it's ok once you've got the hang of it. You can even adjust it on the fly mid race if you want to! I love the FFB through my G29 - just right.
Note. Every car has a different feel to it as well - which some don't like but is realistic.

How many cars are on the grid?
As Wolfe says it's 32 but that varies from track to track. It's more than GTS anyway. I've got a PS4 pro and find I can increase the amount without to much loss of frame rate. The Pro is a big help with PC2's increased processing requirements.

Is there a penalty system?
After a few updates the penalty system has improved quite a lot. Both off and online use the same system.

Other than the series I run in with my friends I don't do a lot of online races. The lobby system is fine for what we do but is slightly limited for random races. There is a rating system but it's not exactly used for matchmaking, more for limiting entrance to rooms. And there's no scheduled races as in Sport mode - GTS has you covered for that. There are online time trials and other stuff though.

You can make the sun (and moon) rise and set, change to amount of cloud (or fog), varying amounts of rain start and stop (and start again) and alter the seasons. And all the time the track surface evolves to reflect the changes. So yes it's quite adaptable! ;)

The other day I was trying to see how many I could get in one Photo. I had to zoom out so far!
:D

If you go online, join a league if you can. Finding clean public rooms is very hit and miss, PC2 has no host kick, no room titles, so each room is a crapshoot. If you can race at a designated time each week, you'll find PC2 awesome. But have an hour or two or so to spare at random times during the week, you are going to struggle. This is compounded by PC2's 'race weekend' approach, as most rooms at least have a 15+min qualy period (plus practice in some rooms) for you to waste your time in before you are even going to find out at T1 whether the room is populated by idiot bashers..! :banghead:

Offline, the AI is far better than GTS's, but still woefully short of realistic. They don't run the same tire/physics package as you, so tend to be crazy fast in some sections, and crazy slow in others. Dealing with them is mostly an exercise in learning where they are faster and defending (or getting the hell out their way!), and learning where they are slower and attacking. But it's usually the same places, lap after lap after lap.

You CAN adjust their strength far more than GTS's three levels (with GTS's Professional being about the pace a six year old can beat!) and you can adjust pace and aggressiveness independently. But what you can't do is dial in one level for all the tracks and groups. There is very poor consistency between tracks, some where the same settings leave you 4s/lap down, some 4s/lap up. So most offline races (at least for me, once I have dialed in the track and car) is a pre-race of say 10 laps or so to get pace settled down, then retire, look at comparative lap times, and adjust the sliders, rinse and repeat a couple of times, and THEN run the race.

Not great, IMO. But way better than GTS (what AI isn't, LOL?) :sly:

Hello there!
I've been playing GT sport for the last year, but I've really wanted to give PC2 a go. I'm looking for a new challenge, and I'm kind of tired of GT sports lack of single player content, although I do still think the online play is one of the best in console racing. I had a few questions about PC2 and would appreciate your feedback.

How is the clutch implementation and force feedback? (It sucks in GT sport, especially the clutch implementation)
How many cars are on the grid? (Offline, PS4)
Can you do custom races/championships?
I don't really plan on playing it online, but if I ever would, how does it compare to GT sport? Is there a penalty system? How's the matchmaking (is there matchmaking)? Do they have scheduled races like GT sport?

I really love the track selection, day/night cycle, and weather options that PC2 offers. Can you speed up time in an endurance race so that let's say for example you did an hour long endurance race, you could start in the day and end in the night?

How are you getting on with the game so far? What are your first impressions? I presume you are using a wheel as you asked about clutch implementation - how are you finding the FFB?

This is a great question.

Decent physics and tire model.

Day/Night transitions.

Weather/Livetrack 3.0

Proper FOV adjustability.

In depth FFB options.

It's just miles better in all areas for my taste.
On PC we have a few more custom tricks to fool with (Jack Spades FFB) but I always enjoyed PC2 on console.

GT Sport? I have nothing nice to say so I'll say just that. Nothing.

I'll bring up a few good things from GTS that PC2 (*=console only) doesn't have. Just in case you take Corsa seriously!

Host kick (private PC server only on PC2)
Room Titles*
Main lobby display of BoP on/off, No Tune on/off
Room connection strength display
Sort by region (same, worldwide)
Sort by rooms with Friends
Show Full Rooms on/off
When more than 20 rooms, 'Show Next 20/Previous 20'*
Sort by all rooms*
Track vote
Reverse Grids (from previous race)
Very few host migration issues (if any)
Host can disable mics
Text communication in room*
Rating based matchmaking (if you want to race similar skill drivers without joining a league)

Handling, content, customization of FFB and FoV, 24hr/365day weather and ToD transition, Livetrack, yes, PC2 is miles ahead.

But the lobby system is amateurish at best, and works actively against participation at worst.

Is it a coincidence that the most played game (by several orders of magnitude) eschews the strengths of PC2 for perfection of the lobby system and matchmaking? I don't think so.

Yes.. that's all online multiplayer features. That would about account for everything gts has going for it. That and maybe lighting. However the OP said he doesn't plan on playing online very much, so although you bring up valid points your comment is irrelevant

Not much ≠ never

And my comments were specifically aimed at Corsa's reply to shnooby2, asking:

...although I do still think the online play is one of the best in console racing. I had a few questions about PC2 and would appreciate your feedback...

So, pretty relevant, IMHO. Corsa's reply was solely focused on offline (I guess, he really doesn't say anything about GTS!), despite shnooby2's specific questions about online. I happen to agree, offline, PC2 is light years ahead of GTS. But the minute a question about online comes up, it is only fair to point out PC2's terrible online experience.

Last edited:
But the minute a question about online comes up, it is only fair to point out PC2's terrible online experience.

Its only fair that a lot of people still have a good time online in PC2 and make good use of what's available, public or private rooms. Just because you don't does not mean other people can't enjoy the online portion on PC2.

Unfortunately, when you come to PC2 from a game with hundreds of lobbies 24/7, 'what's available' is pretty poor. Can you have fun in them? Depends on your focus. I have long said, for those willing to abide by the restrictions of league play, it is close to the perfect game.

Public lobbies, on the other hand, are generally a horror show, or you never know what they are going to be until you have spent some time in them (wasting 20min qualying before you can find out that T1 and beyond is a smashfest isn't most people's idea of enjoyable!). I'd say my ratio of bad public rooms to good is about 10:1. Rating makes little difference. I have seldom seen an S rated room not have a pileup at T1.

A lot depends on how low you set the bar. There used to be a large clean racing component to GT5/6's online lobby system. It is completely absent in PC2. Returning position for a pass after heavy contact is something I have seen once in 9 months+ of racing in public rooms.

But under 20 rooms available worldwide at any time of day or night is unacceptable for maintaining a large enough community that casual clean racing is even possible. And finding each other on console is next to impossible. Rating makes no difference. Set the rating high enough, you will be racing with one or two, tops. And with no guarantee of clean racing either.

'A good time' is a very non-specific term. I can have a good time bashing around a field of BTCC-type drivers (when I know that's the racing standard). But I'd like the option of not doing that!

Its only fair that a lot of people still have a good time online in PC2 and make good use of what's available, public or private rooms. Just because you don't does not mean other people can't enjoy the online portion on PC2.
I enjoy my online experience but it really only shines when it is organised (either in leagues or with online friends who you learn to know will be online on certain days).

However just firing up PC2 for a quick online pubic session is a car crash to be honest. Finding room that is not GT3, has players, and has not yet started is difficult.

Hi,

I have PS4 related question for Project Cars 2.

I haven't been playing the game for long time and I have the game installed on my PS4.
Due Red Dead Redemption 2, I recently bought PS4 Pro and with RDR2 I also installed Project Cars 2.
Today I launched it first time. Game loads my online profile but not the career (cloud?).

Can I transfer career file from old PS4 to this PS4 Pro and how I do it? Which files I have to move from PS4 to PS4 Pro?

Cheers!

Hi,

I have PS4 related question for Project Cars 2.

I haven't been playing the game for long time and I have the game installed on my PS4.
Due Red Dead Redemption 2, I recently bought PS4 Pro and with RDR2 I also installed Project Cars 2.
Today I launched it first time. Game loads my online profile but not the career (cloud?).

Can I transfer career file from old PS4 to this PS4 Pro and how I do it? Which files I have to move from PS4 to PS4 Pro?

Cheers!
Hi you can go into ps settings and save data look for pc2 and there should be career an setup/replay data you have to upload what you need to the cloud or back it up to a usb and then transfer it to your new pro :) btw set the game to enhanced res mode ingame in the settings if your on 4k

PC2 Pros
Many tracks
Great physics
Good car variety
Great track elevation

PC2 Negs
Not a huge amount of cars
Ice and rally cars take away from better content
Online 10min. races with 20min. Qualifying
Camera can make you dizzy

PC2 Pros
Many tracks
Great physics
Good car variety
Great track elevation

PC2 Negs
Not a huge amount of cars
Ice and rally cars take away from better content
Online 10min. races with 20min. Qualifying
Can you explain the comment about 10 min and 20 min? Also what is a qualifying camera?

People set-up online races with more qualifying time than racing time

The camera and qualifying comments are seperate

Yeah that irks me too. They're better off setting up a lengthier Practice Time (20 mins or 30 mins), 10 mins Qualifying, and then a 10 lap or 20 minute race or so.

Most real racing series, the qualy/race ratio is at least 1:2. F1 is a 2 hr race with qualy taking an hour (only 45min on track, though). Other series are way shorter qualy/race ratios.

I'd sure love to see a setting forcing lobbies to have races at least twice the length of qualy!

Camera can be easily modified to your liking. My camera settings makes it dead fixed similar to what AC or GTS offer. It's hands down the best customization of any in-game camera I have ever seen in any game.
Use cockpit camera (to disable dynamic FOV, head tilting or look to apex features), set world movement to 100 and enjoy.

Biggest challenge that I have faced are all the setting options. FOV and everything that goes with with it. This is just to get decent experience. A year later and I still fiddle with settings from time to time.

Finally got decent settings that allows for good sense of speed, which is important for me.

I think next version they should include ways to get these settings dialed in based on basic information from the user.

It's different then GTS as you are not just doing mindless driving around the track.

Hello there,

I've another question and this seems the appropriate thread. Can you guys and girls advice me on AI settings? What setting gives a good race against them? Mainly looking for setting for non formula cars pre 90ties and challenging. What to set a certain goal when I start out.

Go in straight at 100 skill, learn to race them even if you only finish in the top 10 while you learn, you will get better & start winning.

Some corners they'll be faster than you, others you'll be faster than them, they are a little inconsistent & it is possible to make up 10 or 15 places on the 1st lap if you start at the back.

As for aggression I'd start at 50% & see how you go, I find at 0% they're slightly faster because they spread out like F1 races but you can pick em off 1 by 1 very easily without a fight, at 100% they're very aggressive/stupid, driving in bunches, making mistakes & ramming you, but it can be fun this way because it's more like BTCC like this :)

@Mr Grumpy I'll try it like that. The idea is to gradually grow into it and being able to measure progress as I play. Not looking for an easy win or ending non-stop in front. Only thing I need to take into account is the agression if I understand. I will limit AI to 15 since I am on a base PS4.

If you run a career and stay in the class after a Season, will it run different tracks or are they always the same?

@Mr Grumpy I'll try it like that. The idea is to gradually grow into it and being able to measure progress as I play. Not looking for an easy win or ending non-stop in front. Only thing I need to take into account is the agression if I understand. I will limit AI to 15 since I am on a base PS4.

If you run a career and stay in the class after a Season, will it run different tracks or are they always the same?
At the end of the day, you do what you're comfortable with doing, as long as you have fun that's all that matters :)

Back