Project Cars 2 questions

• Thread starter shnooby2
  • 62 comments
@doblocruiser - there are many different ways to play and enjoy PC2 - none of them is the right way! The way you play it is the right way.

My way of playing is different to other people who have posted - I keep the Aggression level for the AI at 100% all the time and just vary the AI skill level. I normally keep it at 79 or below because I only use the default setups and at 80 and above the AI use custom setups.

Hope you enjoy the game and happy new year !

Hello,
I bought GTS when it came out in 2017 because I heard it was made for on-line racing,
There's a lot I like about it but just cant deal with the pathetic penalty system anymore,
so I'm looking for a new game.

I tried F1 2018 and was surprised that there was no Radar (like in GTS which is a great feature)
and no useable mirrors. Kinda hard to race clean when I cant see the car next to me.

So my questions are

1. For higher quality on line racing am I better off with PC2 or maybe I-Racing?

2. And does PC2 (or any other game) have Radar?

3. For those of you who've tried GTS, is the PC2 penalty system any better?

Thanks for any help

Hello,
I bought GTS when it came out in 2017 because I heard it was made for on-line racing,
There's a lot I like about it but just cant deal with the pathetic penalty system anymore,
so I'm looking for a new game.

I tried F1 2018 and was surprised that there was no Radar (like in GTS which is a great feature)
and no useable mirrors. Kinda hard to race clean when I cant see the car next to me.

So my questions are

1. For higher quality on line racing am I better off with PC2 or maybe I-Racing?

2. And does PC2 (or any other game) have Radar?

3. For those of you who've tried GTS, is the PC2 penalty system any better?

Thanks for any help

1. Online racing is high quality on PC2 in organised leagues listed on GTPlanet.

2. It has proximity arrows which show the closeness of opponents. There is also a Crew Chief / Spotter (which I have switched off as I find it distracting).

3. I don't have a problem with the PC2 penalty system, but some people complain. I can't comment on GTS.

Last edited:
I am afraid the penalty system is extremely bad (IMO), two days ago in a league race I was asked again to return my place back to another guy who was in the pits! Obviously I did not do that so was given a drive through penalty, race ruined. The most important problem is that it is very inconsistent, sometimes you go off the track, get a slowdown message, ignore it going full speed and it just goes away by itself, other times you do slowdown for ages, letting everybody pass you, but still get a time penalty added to your race at the end, there's absolutely no indication for how long you need to slowdown (if at all) whatsoever. Sorry, have no experience with GTS, only seen videos (and the penalty system does not look good enough in it either).

About a radar, I am surprised nobody(?) has released such an app. I have made my own very crude one for PC and it works well, the game does provide all the information needed to develop one. Somebody needs to step up and make such an app publicly available, sorry if there's already one that I'm missing. Problem with the proximity arrows is that if a car is completely sideways to you, but just a foot/some cm or so ahead (so still in your blind spot), then the arrows disappear, and we've been told this is done so by design...

Regarding quality of online racing, this varies a lot. There are public lobbies full of crashers and rammers, but also very good ones, especially those that do use the safety ranking system (so have an F+ license requirement). But yeah I agree in general leagues is the best way to go, there are plenty to choose from. I'm currently racing in 3 per week and am very satisfied with the quality of our racing.

You mention Iracing. You have a pc? Then try Iracing for a month.
It's a subscription, so the player base is not the same as the kid that bought Project Cars 2 on a sale for 15 bucks.

Project cars is nice as a driving game, not has a racing game.

Also it's very buggy and after a year of the release, they will not release any more bug fixing patch or improvements.

Penalty system is bad and with bugs.
Player base is lower them Assetto Corsa from 2014.
Online looks amateur.

You mention Iracing. You have a pc? Then try Iracing for a month.
It's a subscription, so the player base is not the same as the kid that bought Project Cars 2 on a sale for 15 bucks.

Project cars is nice as a driving game, not has a racing game.

Also it's very buggy and after a year of the release, they will not release any more bug fixing patch or improvements.

Penalty system is bad and with bugs.
Player base is lower them Assetto Corsa from 2014.
Online looks amateur.

Do you have any positivity about the game or you just come here to hate on PC2?
Are you bored or something, nothing meaningful to do?

The game has some bugs yeah and the online is lacking major features, but had so much fun racing against the AI in multiple tracks and categories that I can tell you racing is fun in PC2. You have to fiddle with the AI difficulty settings track by track, but you can have great races and plenty of youtube videos prove my point.

I have GTsport, Pcars2 and Assetto on PS4, and I think Assetto is the best one overall (for my taste)

Major things I don't like about Project Cars 2 are:

- Infinite loading screens (this one in particular is really annoying for me)
- No way to watch replay on time trials
- Graphics are really bad
- Car list looks pretty dull to me

Things I like about PC2

- Weather and season
- Nice career mode
- A lot of tracks

I have GTsport, Pcars2 and Assetto on PS4, and I think Assetto is the best one overall (for my taste)

Things I like about PC2

- Weather and season
- Nice career mode
- A lot of tracks
Are you on a PS4 Pro with a 4k hdr screen?

Only because I'm on a 1X with a 4k hdr screen & while I do admit some tracks look worse than others it looks absolutely gorgeous at high resolution or high visuals settings.

Obviously GTSport looks fantastic, PD are in a league of their own regarding that aspect (but it's pre-baked, not dynamic).

Assetto corsa looks bland imo, if Microsoft released a X-enhanced patch for it then it might look a little better.

Are you on a PS4 Pro with a 4k hdr screen?

Only because I'm on a 1X with a 4k hdr screen & while I do admit some tracks look worse than others it looks absolutely gorgeous at high resolution or high visuals settings.

Obviously GTSport looks fantastic, PD are in a league of their own regarding that aspect (but it's pre-baked, not dynamic).

Assetto corsa looks bland imo, if Microsoft released a X-enhanced patch for it then it might look a little better.

I'm on standard PS4 and Full HD tv.
Some cars models look nice, but overall i prefer Assetto. Pcars just doesn't look sharp to me, and many times has big pixels.
I agree GTsport is another league (forza too), Pcars just doesn't look nice to me :ill:

Some cars models look nice, but overall i prefer Assetto. Pcars just doesn't look sharp to me, and many times has big pixels.
I agree GTsport is another league (forza too), Pcars just doesn't look nice to me :ill:
Unfortunately that's the price us peasants pay for physics. A high end VR ready gaming PC is definitely on my list in the near future.

The Sol mod for Assetto Corsa looks very nice indeed, again PC only.

Unfortunately that's the price us peasants pay for physics. A high end VR ready gaming PC is definitely on my list in the near future.

The Sol mod for Assetto Corsa looks very nice indeed, again PC only.

Gt sport VR is pretty fun though. But for now, the best choice is Dirt Rally I think

VR makes me want to get a gaming PC.

I've made the mistake of watching PC2 VR videos on YouTube, and, while I don't covet much, I certainly covet that

Infinite loading screens?

I watch replays of my solo lapping all the time -- the instant replay function from the pause menu starts the replay from the beginning of your most recent completed lap. Not sure off the top of my head if it will show all of a longer lap like the Nordschleife, though.

Visible pixels don't really mean anything to me. I am happy with a lower resolution if it means the game plays better (physics, framerate) and looks better (assets, special effects), with the lower limit being a matter of image clarity.

Visually, a dry sunny summer day simulator like AC is pretty underwhelming to me compared to the rich, varied color palettes and track conditions of PCARS. It would be hard to go back after getting used to partly cloudy sunsets/sunrises, night races, rain-slicked tracks, snow, and colorful trees in autumn; features I take advantage of all the time.

Sorry for hurting your feelings.

So you agree with me. :cheers:

I still disagree, because racing in Project Cars is mostly fun. Not just for me, but for other people too. No sim racing game is perfect, all of them has missing features, yet PC2 get all the hates.

Unfortunately, 2 of the problems are console only, there are no infinite loading screens and bad graphics in PC.
I don't even know how the car list looks dull, it has much more diverse car list than any of the titles mentioned here.

Unfortunately, 2 of the problems are console only, there are no infinite loading screens and bad graphics in PC.
I don't even know how the car list looks dull, it has much more diverse car list than any of the titles mentioned here.

Yep I know the PC version doesn't have those problems.

For the car list i guess is a very personal opinion. I have a huge love for italian cars, and the lack of Alfa, Lancia and Abarth is probably the big problem for me.
The loading screens were a problem in the first game too, i really hoped for the second to be better but still I can't tell no difference.

However, Project cars is still a great game. I think it is a must buy for any racing fans out there. I just wanted to point some things I didn't like about it :)

I have a PS4 Pro and I am not the most patient person.

However, while the load screens are a little long, they don't bother me because I'm always considering the massive amount of data and the massive amount of fun I'm going to have when it does load.

I can't imagine another racing game on PS4 as deep and fulfilling as PC2. The trade-off is well worth it

The loading times don't seem exceptionally long to me (PS4 Slim). Not short, but not long for this kind of game.

For the car list i guess is a very personal opinion. I have a huge love for italian cars, and the lack of Alfa, Lancia and Abarth is probably the big problem for me.
There are some holes to fill, for sure. I'm lucky in that I'm a Porsche and BMW fan. However, Subaru is an omission that deters me from spending more time with the game than I do. The corresponding Mitsubishis don't quite cut it.

Subaru is an omission that deters me from spending more time with the game
I can't believe you said this. I love the Subaru WRX and completely forgot about that car. I also love the time attack car.

Because I spend so much time in career mode, I haven't thought to look for the Subaru

Now, you have me a little sad because I suddenly want to do an endurance race using a Subaru:(

@slthree -- The game does have one Subaru in the form of the Toyota GT86, but yeah, sometimes I just go back to Enthusia instead of booting up PCARS2, to drive Subarus and other cars. Including the go-fast version of my car, the Legacy B4 2.0GT spec.B.

However, Subaru is an omission that deters me from spending more time with the game than I do.
To be fair, Subaru really isn't a circuit racing manufacturer. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that would fit is the Levorg in the BTCC and we've got none of their competitors for that and the RX car. Other than that, it's really Rally focused. There was a TCR car but that was a private effort.

Though we have Mitsubishi which has a similar history and that's in game.

@jake2013guy -- Right. If it wasn't for the Mitsubishis already in the game, I might just accept it for the reason you gave. Also, there was the WRX STI in Shift 2 Unleashed.

Not that anything will stop me from wishing for the B4 2.0GT spec.B in PCARS3. :)

The loading times don't seem exceptionally long to me (PS4 Slim). Not short, but not long for this kind of game.

There are some holes to fill, for sure. I'm lucky in that I'm a Porsche and BMW fan. However, Subaru is an omission that deters me from spending more time with the game than I do. The corresponding Mitsubishis don't quite cut it.

I'm a Porsche and BMW fan too. In fact i spend most of the time driving Porsches, BMWs and Ferrari in this game :D

Are Subaru rare in games? I didn't notice that :ill:

Back