Project CARS 2 Reviews

• Thread starter Animera
  • 397 comments
Thanks for cheering me up and making good points. This GM review seems on the money for what I was only really hoping for.

Alan at VVV just put up an Xbox vid and was surprised by how well it looked and ran after watching the DF vid.

I'm feeling good again! 12:00am can't come soon enough.

I like GM's videos but I dont personally agree with how he adjusts the FFB in every car to get it feeling how he likes. Feedback in every car is different so I don't understand why people try and make it identical across cars other than because they can drive faster like that.
It's basically the old tuning trick you could employ in GT to make all the cars drive and feel the same except he's using the FFB tuning.
Don't like that you can't drive a Shelby Cobra because you're a poor driver? Add ballast and make it handle like a car you can drive. Same idea.

Last edited:
Just for clarification: The D1 patch has to be loaded after 0:00, right? It's not part of the PC preload?
I would expect it's going to be part of PC preload. Usually Steam's pretty good about it, considering there are no console OEM testing required before release.

About GM, if he is adjusting the ffb every time then clearly he's missing the point... cars IRL FEEL different (i can make mine a lot worse on the "lady powersteering mode") and that takes 10s to do...

He should keep to ONE setting he likes in a car he likes and the adapt for the others. So much can make the ffb feel different in a car and I'm talking about 1 click only in a setup...

But for someone who is an AC fan (nothing against that) he sure has been having fun in pC2 :D

About GM, if he is adjusting the ffb every time then clearly he's missing the point...
I understand what you mean, but he's not the first one mentioning that.

Also, we've been hearing that some cars (usually the new ones) feel better than others, which could explain the need for adjusting the FFB.

I got the opposite impression after watching his review and watching him and Jimmy Broadbent doing an multiplayer stream last night, it's going to be much more fun than AC. May not feel quite as convincing as AC but in the fun department it's going to come out on top (for me). I mean, how can racing F150's in the snow at Nords not be hella fun?! :D

Ha....that sounds like my idea of hell :nervous: I dont get the new obsession with racing in extreme weather conditions. Forza 6 kinda started it with there insane puddles/Heavy Rain which would clearly get races holted in real life and now SMS with heavy snow and puddles in livetrack (although im hoping no where near as bad as Forza puddles)

Last edited:

Also, we've been hearing that some cars (usually the new ones) feel better than others, which could explain the need for adjusting the FFB.

Yep, I didn't try all cars. But I do have 230h+ on pC2 so I know how some are and don't.

When I see that higher tiers racing cars are not was good, especially the LMP2 and 3 I really have to restrain myself :)

Even a car you can consider good you can take it to a flatter track and... what happen? Well.. welcome to less grip/more flat tracks :)

It's just the way it is.

I do have my pet peeves obviously but it won't be messing with all the sliders all the time that will solve that. Mostly it'll be the setup, that's all.

Very stiff cars. I keep saying this but at DTM they had (not sure if it's still there) a light to know when they were locking the tyres because they can't feel much.

I can concede some feel lighter than most would prefer though. But this is about taste.

Ha....that sounds like my idea of hell :nervous: I dont get the new obsession with racing in extreme weather conditions. Forza 6 kinda started it with there insane puddles/Heavy Rain which would clearly get races holted in real life and now SMS with heavy snow and puddles in livetrack (although im hoping no where near as bad as Forza puddles)

Not obsessed with it, just looking forward to something different and new. It's been several years since I've driven on anything other than pristine tarmac in a sim so it will be a nice change of pace.

Not obsessed with it, just looking forward to something different and new. It's been several years since I've driven on anything other than pristine tarmac in a sim so it will be a nice change of pace.
Didnt mean you personally but it does seem to be the in thing right now.

Puddles are a non issue... depending on how fast and/or on what tyres you hit them :D

But you'll have to learn to avoid them. Remember that livetrack is dynamic and you might be able to pass once... twice.. but maybe not a third. Just like IRL and... it's awesome. It's like a new track "every lap" :)

It's basically the old tuning trick you could employ in GT to make all the cars drive and feel the same except he's using the FFB tuning.
Don't like that you can't drive a Shelby Cobra because you're a poor driver? Add ballast and make it handle like a car you can drive. Same idea.

About GM, if he is adjusting the ffb every time then clearly he's missing the point... cars IRL FEEL different (i can make mine a lot worse on the "lady powersteering mode") and that takes 10s to do...

He should keep to ONE setting he likes in a car he likes and the adapt for the others. So much can make the ffb feel different in a car and I'm talking about 1 click only in a setup...

But for someone who is an AC fan (nothing against that) he sure has been having fun in pC2 :D

I actually noticed it most in his recent Assetto Corsa Ferrari pack video where every time he switched car he adjusted the FFB so he had the same amount of force in each.

Maybe because I like to be completely authentic and for that I think the devs have more idea than me or guys on forums who have never driven the car to know what it feels like (though obviously they do make mistakes sometimes). I know I've personally driven some cars with electronic power steering which felt like complete ass with almost no feel.

Well, in AC forum there's a post from Aristotelis (physics guy) saying find an FFB you like and STICK with it. Not for 5m or even 5h. Like STICK with it for a month.

Then, if you must, change something.

I agree. If anything, I adjust the volume (in pC2) to avoid clipping as I use raw flavour and a tweak myself. Other flavours should not clip at all btw. but you should take a car to TT and test the different flavours or at least Tone on a car you like or preferably know and same for track.

Then stick with it.

Actually just read the same for pads at WMD2. even if it feels not to your taste, to try to use it for a couple of hours. I don't have one but I'll relay this here because the advice seems to have worked :)

In general, habit is such a bad indicator concerning the quality of anything. PC1 was far from undriveable with a pad; you just needed seven, eight hours of practice. I am, at the moment, able to drive 90% of the cars halfway decently after four, five laps of practice (if I know the track). And my pad settings are twitchier than the default. But because no one is accustomed to having to be this gentle, everyone thought it was awful. It wasn't great, sure, but manageable.

I'd imagine it's much the same with wheels and especially FFB, ESPECIALLY when you've only driven one sim before.

Every racing game I've ever played needed some time to adjust to its perculiarities.
Now, will 11am NZ time please hurry up so I can play the damn game.

^^^ one important note, from his review, that needs correcting is that you CAN manually set your pit-limiter. By default, it is set to 'auto', so it will turn on and off for your, as you enter/exit the pit-lane. You can change it to Manual so that you have to turn it on, as you approach the pit-lane, and turn it off yourself as you leave it :)

Ahhh!!!! The anticipation is killing me!! I get out of work in 3 hours (1am est). I'm hoping my local Wal-Mart (I have 2 on my way home to check) will have it.

Most reviews say physics are great but lately is seems more are saying not so much. I loved PCars 1. I just hope it hasn't taken a step backwards. If it's at least equal to, I'll be happy as can be.

I played the FM7 demo and that was a disaster. Tried messing with settings over and over and though it got better I still didn't like it anywhere near how much I thought I was.

^^^ one important note, from his review, that needs correcting is that you CAN manually set your pit-limiter. By default, it is set to 'auto', so it will turn on and off for your, as you enter/exit the pit-lane. You can change it to Manual so that you have to turn it on, as you approach the pit-lane, and turn it off yourself as you leave it :)

Most of the reviews seem to be pounding the AI issues, how soon can we expect to see SMS improving it?

Most of the reviews seem to be pounding the AI issues, how soon can we expect to see SMS improving it?

Ian:

The AI isn't perfect everywhere. There are so many potential variations, many live and dynamic, that it's almost impossible. We are though continuing to polish as feedback comes in. Doug Arnao is currently tasked to do nothing else for the next 3 months.

We're on patch 1.03 as of now with 1.04 on the way soon.

In general, habit is such a bad indicator concerning the quality of anything. PC1 was far from undriveable with a pad; you just needed seven, eight hours of practice. I am, at the moment, able to drive 90% of the cars halfway decently after four, five laps of practice (if I know the track). And my pad settings are twitchier than the default. But because no one is accustomed to having to be this gentle, everyone thought it was awful. It wasn't great, sure, but manageable.

I'd imagine it's much the same with wheels and especially FFB, ESPECIALLY when you've only driven one sim before.
Well I think stock settings were pretty awful but I certainly found some settings which felt no different to Assetto Corsa with realistic assists and AC also needed a fair bit of tweaking. The only one I've played that felt perfect was RRRE but even that when Macau dropped I couldn't make the hairpin and I can't remember if that was before or after the physics were upgraded that I last used a controller.

The problem with proper sims and controllers is without the hidden controller assists that Forza/GT use which give the perfect amount of steering lock you are going to have to compromise somewhere and find a balance.

A twitchy setup will give you better turn in for tighter corners and chicanes but at high speed and sweeping corners you are going to suffer and spin out easily, whereas a smooth planted one reacts too slow for quick direction changes and doesn't give you full steering lock quick enough for hairpins having a noticeable lag.

I don't know if it's because I'm so used to changing between racing games and adjusting to their nuances, like I know people hate the handling in The Crew but I didn't think it was all that bad, much better than TDU which came before. The worst thing in it is the same thing I hate in Horizon 3, the off road stuff sucks because they use too realistic physics in an arcade game and a tiny bump you can't even visually see can flip you or completely throw you off course which just isn't fun.

For me though switching between sims as long as the FFB is doing what I expect after turning off all the fake effects I can jump right in and go. Forza 6: Apex and FH3 are the only ones that have given me any issues, they are just complete garbage regardless of settings.

...The worst thing in it is the same thing I hate in Horizon 3, the off road stuff sucks because they use too realistic physics in an arcade game and a tiny bump you can't even visually see can flip you or completely throw you off course which just isn't fun.
Don't want to drag this off-topic, but why would this be due to 'too realistic physics'? :) Sounds to me more like 'tried realistic physics but overshot it by a mile'...

Don't want to drag this off-topic, but why would this be due to 'too realistic physics'? :) Sounds to me more like 'tried realistic physics but overshot it by a mile'...
I'm not really sure what you mean?

As arcade games I think they should be fun, like how crashing into fencing, lampposts etc. just destroys them but then you have these odd situations where if you hit them at the wrong angle they can stop you dead. Same thing with the off-road stuff, they let you drive super cars off road but then taking jumps you will sometimes roll on take off or on landing it will ground the front and flip you.

It just makes no sense to me and is just infuriating to start throwing realism into the mix when I'm ploughing through the forest in a sports car and a tiny bump I have no chance of seeing launches me into the air. Even something more mundane like drifting around a corner and your back wheel hitting the curb causing you to spin out, realistic sure but why?!

Back