Project CARS 2 Video Shows Formula Car Tip-Toeing Around Spa in the Snow

A snowstorm like that would leave snow on the ground pretty fast though. Just five minutes of heavy rain here the other day made puddles 10-15cm deep. Haha
Come on guys. They are the only dev that are even trying to model these things correctly. We should be celebrating what they have achieved rather than moaning about what they haven't. Look at what T10 and PDi are doing. Not even close to the level that SMS have achieved.

I am still playing PCars after having played the ACorsa and already in the PC1, the time mergers happen (if programmed), between clear day, with clouds, more clouds, fog, moderate rain, storm and now has snow.
With the speed time x60, a race in Nurb. (I think) 6 different time possibilities, with AI from 1 to 100% (similar to Hyperloop), and unlike ACorsa, we can not stop them.
I even liked the effect and it shows in the grip of the car.
I did not like the sound of the car (in the cockpit) that is absorbed (too many) by the sound of the wind and other extras, just like in the 1st, and the same happens when we are near the AI, they are the ones who make noise and we just want to pass them.

Wasn't a fan of the weather transition speed multiplier in PC1, especially because the vast majority of career sessions that featured rain would go wet -> dry -> wet. In a 10 minute quali session, you'd leave the pits with full wet tyres on, but by the time you'd finished your out lap the track was dry enough for slicks. So you'd return to garage and fit slicks, but then once you'd finished your next out lap it had started raining once again and the track was wet. The window for being on the right tyre in qualifying was very small indeed.

This aggravated me big time.

Wasn't a fan of the weather transition speed multiplier in PC1, especially because the vast majority of career sessions that featured rain would go wet -> dry -> wet. In a 10 minute quali session, you'd leave the pits with full wet tyres on, but by the time you'd finished your out lap the track was dry enough for slicks. So you'd return to garage and fit slicks, but then once you'd finished your next out lap it had started raining once again and the track was wet. The window for being on the right tyre in qualifying was very small indeed.

Hopefully they'll let us turn it off in Career in PC2.
I agree that was kind of annoying. I got around this by accelerating time from the pit garage menu to preview the pattern, then restarting the qualifying session and heading out on the "wrong" tires just in time to begin my qualifying lap(s) with my tires matched to the conditions.

It took away the strategy of adapting to changing conditions, but the fixed patterns (and overused wet/dry/wet or dry/wet/dry pattern like you said) already lacked strategic interest. Even in a full length session, you might as well only go out to qualify during the dry part of the pattern.

Come on guys. They are the only dev that are even trying to model these things correctly. We should be celebrating what they have achieved rather than moaning about what they haven't. Look at what T10 and PDi are doing. Not even close to the level that SMS have achieved.

Spot on. The same gamers who comment about the lack of this or that are happily accepting other games which achieve far less. I am still waiting for Turn 10 to deliver real time reflections or headlights. And look how long it took for bump mapping to appear in these games.

And should I mention Assetto Corsa. We cannot even get rain or darkness there.

there is no snow building up. it's only getting wet. It's too complicated/complex to get this level of detail atm and in this short time of 2 years, so they concentrated on the core stuff first from where it can developed further in the future.

The surface only gets wet, "melting snow". But afaik this is planned for livetrack 4.0.

I don't know what some people are expecting here. It's hard to get top-notch physics and tire model, paired with very good graphics, and completed by a huge system like livetrack 3.0, under one hood and more important to let it run not on a supercomputer. It's now just one step further.. next step will be made next time. We cannot go the whole way in one time, that's not possible. There are limitations like memory and cpu power. When they made the snow laying down on the track people would start complain why it's not melting and why there are no tire tracks... graphical and physical transition (including grip level changes) from snow to water and vice versa just isn't possible now due to limitations. One step at a time. Be patient.. technology will evolve, and so will the possibility to do such tricks.

Was there any reason they dropped the real weather from the first game here you could pick a track & it would match the weather as it is in reality?
I really hope they stick more with reality so if the rain is so bad the race is called off or postponed unless you are driving an appropriate car. Also what about safety car i have seen nothing on this? Also early on we saw track deformation in the rally tracks is this still in the game?

Hopefully they'll let us turn it off in Career in PC2.

From the vid it looks like they switched the starting grid position to the GP circuit location from the traditional sports car location that they used in PC1 👍

Too bad the bollards on the inside of the corners are still there :P

The bollards need to go! Can we get a poll started haha

Was there any reason they dropped the real weather from the first game here you could pick a track & it would match the weather as it is in reality?
I really hope they stick more with reality so if the rain is so bad the race is called off or postponed unless you are driving an appropriate car. Also what about safety car i have seen nothing on this? Also early on we saw track deformation in the rally tracks is this still in the game?
Example, We can pick a race date from last year and race in those same weather conditions.
No safety car.
Races are run to the end. Even in lightning storms. it was said int Q&A, Red flag conditions are avoided for the sake of racing. Also, details such as, the cars do not get beached in the kitty litter.

Check the RX videos and interviews from E3. They explain about ruts and the way dirt builds up.

What season is the video set at? If it was set to winter, there would already be snow all over the place, this looks like it's set to summer to me and then they set the weather to snow storm.

Yes it doesnt look realistic but this is SMS giving us the customisation to do whatever we want, whenever we want.

I don't think they could simulate snow build up the same way they do with rain on the circuit, it's too much of a visual change to the surroundings to do that I would of thought like snow build up on trees and on top of surfaces on buildings etc. PC3? ;)

^^ I can already see the replies to this...

1) cos internet
2) cos entitled
3) wah wah wah

We need to start a whiners list! 4) Your game doesn't simluate this 🤬, but I will keep myself ignorant to the current limitations of software and hardware in the gaming industry!

Does anyone know if the person driving was using a controller or a wheel? To me it looked like he was using a controller because the steering looked a bit twitchy on some corners.

On the topic of weather, we've had snow in June here in North Dakota, so anything is possible :sly:

What season is the video set at? If it was set to winter, there would already be snow all over the place, this looks like it's set to summer to me and then they set the weather to snow storm.

Yes it doesnt look realistic but this is SMS giving us the customisation to do whatever we want, whenever we want.

I don't think they could simulate snow build up the same way they do with rain on the circuit, it's too much of a visual change to the surroundings to do that I would of thought like snow build up on trees and on top of surfaces on buildings etc. PC3? ;)
There are 4 seasons and all without snow. But then there is a "5th season" you can pick called "snow", then the surroundings and track are covered in snow. But this is only available for tracks/locations where it snows in reality. So no snow for Dubai.

Does anyone know if the person driving was using a controller or a wheel? To me it looked like he was using a controller because the steering looked a bit twitchy on some corners. ...

It looks pretty obviously a controller, most wheel users won't drive in third person, ... and when it switches to cockpit view, the steering inputs are erratic while the car remains stable.

* maybe that explains the pylons ... maybe when the game detects a controller, instead of a wheel, in use, it adds erroneous trackside pylons where they don't belong.

Last edited:
I got around this by accelerating time from the pit garage menu to preview the pattern, then restarting the qualifying session and heading out on the "wrong" tires just in time to begin my qualifying lap(s) with my tires matched to the conditions.
I didn't even realise you could do that. Would have saved me a lot of frustrating qualy attempts.

Back