Project CARS 2 Video Shows Formula Car Tip-Toeing Around Spa in the Snow

What season is this supposed to be? The beginning looks like a day in June but after five corners the weather is like a bad day in March, not to forget the green trees.
Without seeing the setup screen it impossible to tell. It is possible to have bright sunshine during the winter and if the weather is set at 20x then it does change very quickly in game. It's also possible to set the game up however you want.

Without seeing the setup screen it impossible to tell. It is possible to have bright sunshine during the winter and if the weather is set at 20x then it does change very quickly in game. It's also possible to set the game up however you want.

If you look at the trees, this is clearly not winter or autumn. It's like peak summer with winter weather, which is the thing confusing me here.

If you look at the trees, this is clearly not winter or autumn. It's like peak summer with winter weather, which is the thing confusing me here.
We had a big thunderstorm in Newcastle yesterday. The ground was covered in hailstones. It's August. You can set the game up however you want. You are given the choice. You are not dictated to.

Also looking at this http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/Belgium/Spa-Francorchamps-Circuit/climate-profile.aspx the lowest temp recorded at Spa in August was 0 degrees. And since 4 degrees is the ideal temp for it to snow I'm sure it will have snowed at Spa during the summer.

But once again, I reiterate, the game allows you to set it up how you like.

Last edited:

That region in belgium does get late/early snow from time to time. I haven't been able to check the vid yet.

That region in belgium does get late/early snow from time to time. I haven't been able to check the vid yet.

True that the Ardennes region's weather can be unpredictable, but something tells me the same scenario is possible if you pick one of the Mediterranean circuits. Nothing is impossible of course.

True that the Ardennes region's weather can be unpredictable, but something tells me the same scenario is possible if you pick one of the Mediterranean circuits. Nothing is impossible of course.

Well I geuss everything is 'possible'. Just not realistic. So yeah I think you'd be correct. Then again I'm no wmd member so can't really know anything like that.

As far s the trees go. They said it was live track 3.0, not live trees.. Not sure if they change with the seasons

I'm more concerned with the race ending animations. I recall seeing podium finishs over ten years ago in race games(especially motocross). As real as they are trying to make it, they should have interviews after the race(and before races one you get popular), maybe show the car being packed in the truck. They are missing out on allot of ways to add immersion. With live pits, you would think podium finishes would be a given

As far s the trees go. They said it was live track 3.0, not live trees.. Not sure if they change with the seasons

I'm more concerned with the race ending animations. I recall seeing podium finishs over ten years ago in race games(especially motocross). As real as they are trying to make it, they should have interviews after the race(and before races one you get popular), maybe show the car being packed in the truck. They are missing out on allot of ways to add immersion. With live pits, you would think podium finishes would be a given
No. Because they're not the same thing in the slightest.

Well I geuss everything is 'possible'. Just not realistic. So yeah I think you'd be correct. Then again I'm no wmd member so can't really know anything like that.

Louisiana weather can be unpredictable for an example. Significant pollen on vehicles in March and snow/ice in April.

the player is more than obvious not driving full throttle etc. He's more like cruising around looking at the weather effects.
You better watch the vid again. There is effort. He is clearly doing more than just cruising. I hope I'm wrong but the ai seems to be immune to bad weather

You better watch the vid again. There is effort. He is clearly doing more than just cruising. I hope I'm wrong but the ai seems to be immune to bad weather
lol.. the Ai is long gone before the weather even starts. The driver is just too bad.. with 220km/h through eau rouge with a forumla car? I'm faster with GT3 there ^^
he's pretty slow in every corner and everytime wrong lines, brakes way too early. Not surprising the AI is away that fast.

He also only makes a 2:20 while the others do a 2:03. In dry conditions you can drive a 1:52 on Spa like the real formula one cars. 2:03 would be definitely possible if you hit the apex, let the downforce work for you, have some trust in the tires and don't brake friggin 50m earlier.

I don't know. I got a bad feeling about this. Is there documentation that the ai uses the same physics engine as the player in Pcars2?

I don't know. I got a bad feeling about this. Is there documentation that the ai uses the same physics engine as the player in Pcars2?
They don't use the same physics engine as that would be computationally impossible. However, they are being balanced to match with the player's performance in the wet. The person driving in this video either isn't pushing hard at all (220 km/h through Raidillon suggests this is the case) or just has the AI set way too difficult for him.

they don't share the same tire model. AI uses brush tire model, player uses seta tire model. If you want them to run all the same physics you better get the NASA computer to play it. Every sim has their AI on "simplified" physics to not blow up the CPU :-D

But be sure that you won't notice that. They're affected like you by weather, they also 🤬 up things...just like you. But when you set AI to like 100 (AI in pcars2 goes from 0 to 120) and drive like a granny then don't complain about AI not being affected by weather or being too fast etc ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't a fan of the weather transition speed multiplier in PC1, especially because the vast majority of career sessions that featured rain would go wet -> dry -> wet. In a 10 minute quali session, you'd leave the pits with full wet tyres on, but by the time you'd finished your out lap the track was dry enough for slicks. So you'd return to garage and fit slicks, but then once you'd finished your next out lap it had started raining once again and the track was wet. The window for being on the right tyre in qualifying was very small indeed.

Hopefully they'll let us turn it off in Career in PC2.

From the vid it looks like they switched the starting grid position to the GP circuit location from the traditional sports car location that they used in PC1 👍

Too bad the bollards on the inside of the corners are still there :P

they don't share the same tire model. AI uses brush tire model, player uses seta tire model. If you want them to run all the same physics you better get the NASA computer to play it. Every sim has their AI on "simplified" physics to not blow up the CPU :-D

But be sure that you won't notice that. They're affected like you by weather, they also 🤬 up things...just like you. But when you set AI to like 100 (AI in pcars2 goes from 0 to 120) and drive like a granny then don't complain about AI not being affected by weather or being too fast etc ;)
We'll see. I wait for the reviews.

there is no snow building up. it's only getting wet. It's too complicated/complex to get this level of detail atm and in this short time of 2 years, so they concentrated on the core stuff first from where it can developed further in the future.

The surface only gets wet, "melting snow". But afaik this is planned for livetrack 4.0.

I don't know what some people are expecting here. It's hard to get top-notch physics and tire model, paired with very good graphics, and completed by a huge system like livetrack 3.0, under one hood and more important to let it run not on a supercomputer. It's now just one step further.. next step will be made next time. We cannot go the whole way in one time, that's not possible. There are limitations like memory and cpu power. When they made the snow laying down on the track people would start complain why it's not melting and why there are no tire tracks... graphical and physical transition (including grip level changes) from snow to water and vice versa just isn't possible now due to limitations. One step at a time. Be patient.. technology will evolve, and so will the possibility to do such tricks.

Back