Project CARS 2 Videos

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 2,969 comments
3 hours in, loving Pcars2, should have got it years ago.

Just found rallycross, and it fun recording your efforts to watch back. Sorry everyone this must be so old hat for you lol.

Setting on default, this is much easier than the GT races. The AI seems super slow in rally cross.

Oulton park, last two laps. I started in pole, screwed up the first half of the race, managed to scramble back to 3rd, see what happens from there. Great race, great fun.

Got the real Oulton park race tomorrow, cant wait.

If someone puts a video up it would be nice to have a description, why is this interesting, what track or other details. Otherwise, to be honest, im less likely to be bothered to click it, as i have no idea why im watching it.

If someone puts a video up it would be nice to have a description, why is this interesting, what track or other details. Otherwise, to be honest, im less likely to be bothered to click it, as i have no idea why im watching it.

Agreed. And will comply.

This is the video of a failure (16th and last in class is a failure). But I had great fun with this so here I share it.

It is 1 hour long so I don't expect anyone to watch it all (you'd be crazy if you did). However, it may be interesting to do a random pick of moments in this race, I tried to make it as varied as possible and wherever in the red line you go you'll find a difference.

So, the specs are:

Car - Bentley GT3
Track - Nurburgring 24 Hours (meaning the combined Circuit + Nordschleife)
Race length - 1 hour
Time progression - x25 (meaning it is a 25 hours race, I wanted a full day/night/day cycle)
Multiclass - Yes (GT3 and GT4, as close as I could get to the GTs that run the real event)
Weather - 4 slots used in the following order: Rain, Overcast, Light Cloud, Clear
Start Position - Last (game puts me last of the GT3 but I wait for all to go before I go myself
AI - 79% Skill (work in progress); 25% aggression
Field - Max, meaning 29 AIs in this track (30 cars racing with my own)

This is leg 2, meaning my second go at it, and the recording is unedited from broadcast, so what you see is what I saw while racing

Strategy - Wet tyres for a start, fuel enough for 4 laps, although I intended to pit at the end of 3rd (race would have 7 laps unless something odd happened). Defined a strategy to fill to 4 laps again and replace tyres with softs.

How the race unfolded

1:48 - Race start
Lap 1 is spent clearing the GT4 field (the whole 14 of them) at times I barely saw anything, such was the spray. And they don't make it easy on us so if you want to race clean you have to be patient. 12 liters spent (less than I expected, but the slower pace made it possible)

12:15 - Lap 2 start, about 22 seconds behind the race leader. Track very wet, but the sky is clearer
14:00 - Night sets in as I start the Nordschleife part, lights ON
18:15 - I see tail lights up ahead at the Karrousel !!!
20:05 - I cease to be last of the GT3 field. No I didn't overtake any car, someone crashed :P

21:26 - Lap 3 start, about 10 seconds behind the race leader. Still wet track, no rain but lots of spray. I noticed that in lap 2 I spent over 13 liters.
23:10 - I enter the Nordschleife section placed P10
28:15 --- 29:15 - my minutus horribilis ... drunk driving or so it seems. Down to 15th just before the big straight leading to the pits (or so I had planned, poor me)
29:50 - I call the pits, they say they're ready for me
30:33 - EVERY GT3 car in front of me pits! As soon as I enter pit lane (15th) I get "the pits are jammed, we'll bring you in as soon as we can"

So I do a drive through and leave the pits in 1st place, but with old, wet tyres in a dry track ... and low on fuel (13.8 liters), so I changed the fuel map to "Lean"

31:05 - Lap 4, from the pit exit ... not much of an advantage and 2nd place got closer and closer during the lap until ...
37:30 - Wrong tyres are wrong tyres, I spun and lost the lead (noticed the new race leader was a 911. Pretty car as I watched it past)
39:30 - Back to the long straight, holding the field still in second, I changed the fuel map to "Rich" so I wouldn't be steamrolled by the GT3 pack before the lap end.
40:20 - Pit entry (again)

41:30 - Lap 5, from the pit exit ... 16th and last of the GT3 field again! About 1 minute down on the leader. Dry track, fuel to end, soft tyres. I could still do it !!!

Lonely lap, some mistakes, I only gained about 15 seconds on the leader

50:00 - Lap 6, still 16th, 42 seconds down ... come on!

58:35 - Lap 7, after a very decent 8:30 lap, I was still 14th, 28 seconds down ... frustration was being felt (and it would have an impact on my driving)

1:07:35 - Race end, after a lap I'd rather forget. Back to 16th and last of the GT3 (but almost side by side with 15th at the line), again 36 secs down on the leader.

Here, if you want to check on it. I pasted this post's text also as a comment on Youtube so you only have to click the "time tabs" in the comment for the video to "jump" directly to those moments I mentioned. Have fun, don't pity me, I deserved the failure! :D

Last edited:
@Hun200kmh i am in awe at the amazing description and detail you've added to the video, thank you.
i could actually watch it for an hour, but i wont lol. I dipped in and watched bits.
Ive not done much racing in the wet but wow thats hard work mentally to concentrate for so long. I think you did a great job. Makes me want to try it.
I recognise the track straight away.
25% aggression? i stick mine on 100% all the time, but im not sure it makes a massive difference.
I guess thats on a PC, with a wheel?
I can only record about 1min on a PS4 which can be a bit annoying.

I will be going back and watching more, thanks again.

Also i can now copy your setup and give it a go to see if i can do any better (PS4 and controller)

I love the bit where the pits were jammed lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Simon Bratt, thanks for the nice words :)

A few brief notes on your questions

I play on the PS4, using an old Thrustmaster T500 RS wheel (the one that doesn't work with ACC ... :indiff: )

I upload my videos into Youtube using the broadcast function, accessible through the PS4 operating system (used to be called XMB on the PS3, not sure if it's the same name now). It's very simple to use, while playing the game you press the controller PS button and you should leave the game and see the red screen where there is a BROADCAST option. After you press it you are asked if you want to broadcast your activity (same as "stream live" whatever you'll be doing) using Youtube or Twitch. I don't have a Twitch account, but do have a Youtube account so that's the one I use.

I use a low (25%) level of aggression because it annoys me to have AIs behaving like morons, it detracts from the immersion a game provides. I'm not even sure if it makes much of a difference but I do remember testing a Caterham-only race at Portimão over and over again to check on their behaviour and for some reason was satisfied with 25% (still doesn't solve the pile up at corner 1 but all the remainder of the race was realistic and pretty enjoyable).

Racing in a full wet track with this game is not very difficult provided you have the right tyres and you learn where the standing water is. Not much of a problem in this particular track with one only exception, where the water keeps being there long after the entire track has dried out and you have already relaxed and switched your brain to "dry track" mode. As Admiral Ackbar would say, about that spot, "It's a TRAP!" ;) (check 1:03:10 of the video and you'll see what I mean ... :dopey: )

Of course you can use my setup, and ask away whatever might help you out. I am a lover of endurance racing, both in reality as in gaming, and this year alone I have made, with friends, two 24 hour races using prototypes (Daytona and Le Mans) and one using GT3 cars (Spa). We are probably going to do the 24 hours of Nurburgring before year's end, so I was just getting a feel for the cars and what value of AI skill to use (you want a challenging race, neither one where you're left in the dust or one where you win by several laps). Therefore a setting with day/night/day cycle and variable weather.

But in order to really race at the Nordschleife you really must - first - know the track by heart, or else you won't be able to race behind the spray and barely seeing anything without crashing. I would recommend a few long races in daylight and dry track until you feel you know the track well.

I don't consider myself an expert on this but I've doing this track in games for many more years than I'd care to admit and that definitely helps. Just as an example, here you have two videos, one is 12 years old and the other 8 years old ... both were posted here in gtplanet back in the day but I don't even remember where.

The first one (with the bike I had back then, the mighty Yamaha XJR 1300) is probably my proudest achievement, it was REALLY difficult to master a perfect lap there with a motorbike, gaming or no gaming

The second one depicts the last lap of one of my most satisfying 24 hour races, won it with a underpowered car, using a night of rain and longer stints to my advantage. It was a battle to the end, aftyer 24 hours second place was about 30 secs behind

So yes, I suggest you get familiar with the track first and then venture into wet racing and night racing there. Once you master it (and you never feel you've really mastered it) it will always be the track you want to have and to race at in any game.

Latest Posts

Back