Project CARS 2's New Online Championship Mode Detailed

This is such a game-changing feature. I guess the only question is can you fill the grid with AI. And, if so, do the AI bots maintain their name and "personality" throughout.

Even if this is only useful for a larger group, it is a great feature. But making this accessible for 2 people or 22 people would be something pretty incredible.

Don't guess we console users should get too excited when it says in the fine print, "*PC Only."

EDIT: Reread it and this is probably only the "Export" functionality...

Okay, I feel better.

Don't guess we console users should get too excited when it says in the fine print, "*PC Only."
The "PC Only" is for data export. There are limitations with the consoles that only allow for so much data to be stored. The functionality should otherwise be there though. This has been discussed a bit in other threads, so I don't think you have much to worry about. It should work for you.

This is such a game-changing feature. I guess the only question is can you fill the grid with AI. And, if so, do the AI bots maintain their name and "personality" throughout.

Even if this is only useful for a larger group, it is a great feature. But making this accessible for 2 people or 22 people would be something pretty incredible.
Working on it man, no promises. I've made the suggestion we try for it. And yes the AI names and team assignments would stick for the duration of the series. "If you're gonna do it, do it right or don't do it all"

Working on it man, no promises. I've made the suggestion we try for it. And yes the AI names and team assignments would stick for the duration of the series. "If you're gonna do it, do it right or don't do it all"
Would be such an incredible feature. Co-op Seasons are in sports games now, but this seems it would be a bit more detailed and complicated. Really hoping this works out.
Thank you for the reply. 👍

Also, what if some people cannot make it for a certain race? Assume I sign up for a championship that lasts 10 weekends but after a while and into the middle of the season I won't be able to play a certain weekend. Would an AI driver be able to take my place? Or can another player take my place for that one race weekend?

I refuse to board the hype train after being left disappointed with Project Cars 1. But I must say, if the physics and force feedback have been improved enough to rival Assetto Corsa, this is shaping up to be one hell of a game.

I refuse to board the hype train after being left disappointed with Project Cars 1. But I must say, if the physics and force feedback have been improved enough to rival Assetto Corsa, this is shaping up to be one hell of a game.
If you're disappointed with the game pC1 is today, I'd be curious to know which racing game you're playing that is superior.

Cool! I'm looking forward to see how the career mode will look like, i didn't like the calender thing or the special events was on a specific date in a month and you had to race you through the calender to get to the special event you wanted to race.

If you're disappointed with the game pC1 is today, I'd be curious to know which racing game you're playing that is superior.
Assetto Corsa and iRacing. I just can't get Pcars to feel good, the FFB is a mess and it has no proper triple screen support. I want to like it, the track selection is great, the way the career worked I quite liked, the weather and night time racing was a good feature, it's just that my wheel felt numb and my cockpit looked skewed with my triple screens so it never felt right. Also, the sounds are quite bad. It's pretty, has bells and whistles and when racing on a single screen, with a lower end wheel or controller, it's probably quite sufficient. But when you are on the higher end of sim setups, it's a let down.

Assetto Corsa and iRacing. I just can't get Pcars to feel good, the FFB is a mess and it has no proper triple screen support. I want to like it, the track selection is great, the way the career worked I quite liked, the weather and night time racing was a good feature, it's just that my wheel felt numb and my cockpit looked skewed with my triple screens so it never felt right. Also, the sounds are quite bad. It's pretty, has bells and whistles and when racing on a single screen, with a lower end wheel or controller, it's probably quite sufficient. But when you are on the higher end of sim setups, it's a let down.
To each his own, I guess. I race those same games and prefer pCARS to them (though I consider iRacing to kind of be its own thing separate from the typical game, if only for the cost and no AI). I use a T300 and triple 42" setup. The screen is a bit annoying, but I guess I've gotten used to it. I've also used Jack Spade's files for FFB and it's been satisfactory...seems to depend on the track as much as the car.

AC is a great driving game (probably the best Time Trial game going), but its racing is not very good. iRacing is dependent on other people and kind of seems sterile to me, though the handling characteristics are excellent. I guess, to me, pCARS offers a good mix of both worlds.

Last edited:
It's very strange because SPA track is named Zolder
oc-main-view_orig.png

Also, what if some people cannot make it for a certain race? Assume I sign up for a championship that lasts 10 weekends but after a while and into the middle of the season I won't be able to play a certain weekend. Would an AI driver be able to take my place? Or can another player take my place for that one race weekend?
Happens in real life sometimes right? That guy gets zero points.

No plans to address this, I mean if the AI drives an entire race for you...do you really deserve something? What if that AI takes someone out of the race?

Substitute driver? I don't think we will have this.

You can have as many people as you want on a team, we're not limiting that.

Also the admin can assign arbitrary points to any driver that will change the overall score for that driver/team. Why would you want this? Well this allows you to have your own league awards and penalties that we at SMS cannot predict. It's a little bit of freedom back to you to run things your way. So you wanna award some points for "Most laps led"..well just stick +2 points for that driver. Or if someone commits a bad penalty and you guys want to take points away from that driver just stick in a -2 for that driver. We can't predict all the little ways you wanna run your leagues but we can give you little controls like this to help you get it the way you want.

Last edited:
Have not read all of this thread, just scanned over a few post. Sounds very good however.

My suggestion is do not limit this to online. I am sure there are many people that could use a race series creator mode offline also.

This in my opinion was desperately needed for the last iterations of Gran Turismo to provide endless playability.

I would like ability for many people to form race team or club. Which would allow you or your team to enter weekly, monthly series. In say a 30 car field, depending on number of registered players or teams, would be cool if as many as 4 team members could partake in the same race.

Really possibilities should be very broad. What if someone just wants to have a hot lap race series etc.

Have not read all of this thread, just scanned over a few post. Sounds very good however.

My suggestion is do not limit this to online. I am sure there are many people that could use a race series creator mode offline also.

This in my opinion was desperately needed for the last iterations of Gran Turismo to provide endless playability.

I would like ability for many people to form race team or club. Which would allow you or your team to enter weekly, monthly series. In say a 30 car field, depending on number of registered players or teams, would be cool if as many as 4 team members could partake in the same race.

Really possibilities should be very broad. What if someone just wants to have a hot lap race series etc.
I don't think it would be limited to online. They've made it for online and announced it because of the link to eSports. And the base is there anyway.

Also, I think that there isn't a limit on the team mates. Not sure about anything regarding a race club yet though. Would be fun.

I think it would be good if you could get prompted of championships people have set up based on your preferences ( type of car, safety rating, championships completed, time available to race ect) then you would be able to request a invite to said championship if your interested. Could help fill grids.

Back