Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
Looking forward to Japanese cars and a new fantasy track :)

I hope the Mercedes Group C cars gets fixed too.

edit

When GT introduces tracks: oh great, nice, wonderful

When PC introduces track: boo, meh, arcade

Last edited:
Just like the ones in GRID they're boring city tracks with too many 90 degree corners. Terrible designs lacking any sort of imagination with the same boring backdrops, aren't they the same cities as well? If you want to see good fictional tracks then GT is the benchmark where actual effort and thought has been put in, PC3 and Grid's efforts are abysmal.

PC3's fictional tracks:

• Azure Coast – 5 Layouts
  • Bannochbrae
  • California Highway – 5 Layouts
  • Havana – 3 Layouts
  • Mojave – 5 Layouts
  • Monument Canyon – 3 Layouts
  • Sakitto – 4 Layouts
  • Shanghai Street – 2 Layouts
  • Tuscany – 2 Layouts
  • Wildcrest
Only two of which are city tracks, and the vast majority of which do not feature 'too many 90 degree corners at all', given how inaccurate your statement is I would have to wonder exactly how many of them you have driven? It's the same with Grid's fantasy tracks over the series, it's had some absolute standouts among them, with Okutama rightly being held up as a classic fictional track, as well as its fictional runs around London and Paris.

As certainly Azure Coast, Cali Highway, Tuscany and Bannochbrae are tracks that rank among the best fictional tracks around, and you seem to be approaching GT's fictional tracks with rose-tinted glasses on, as it's had its fair share of stinkers as well, Cape Ring was simply put, bloody awful, the majority of the rally 'stages' (and I use that term very loosely) are not worth the lines of code and most of the 'real road' layouts in GTS are far too wide to be real roads (and in doing so often waste interesting layouts). Nor has the GT series itself been free from tracks with 'too many 90 degree corners at all', with London and New York being prime examples. It's actually arguable that, as a series, GT has abandoned what are its standout fictional tracks thankfully the modding community has brought them to other titles. Hell, you want the titles with the best fictional and real-world track variety and imagination, then AC, AMS and RFactor walk all over the GT series.

TL/DR The Project Cars and Grid series have a damn good number of standout fictional tracks, and GT's track record isn't as stellar as you think it is. However, the PC modding community put them all to shame, with the 26km Fonteny being an example of how a track based on real French roads should be done!

Last edited:
I don't consider Azure Coast and Californian Highway having each 5 layouts. 2 yes (back and forward).

I watched the Fonteny yt vid. Impressive stuff.
I just copy & pasted the track list from the PC3 guide here at GT Planet :)

Fonteny is simply stunning, as are a good percentage of the tracks people create for AC and other titles, but for a fictional one, it puts just about anything that Grid, GT or PC have created to shame.

PC3's fictional tracks:

• Azure Coast – 5 Layouts
  • Bannochbrae
  • California Highway – 5 Layouts
  • Havana – 3 Layouts
  • Mojave – 5 Layouts
  • Monument Canyon – 3 Layouts
  • Sakitto – 4 Layouts
  • Shanghai Street – 2 Layouts
  • Tuscany – 2 Layouts
  • Wildcrest
Only two of which are city tracks, and the vast majority of which do not feature 'too many 90 degree corners at all', given how inaccurate your statement is I would have to wonder exactly how many of them you have driven? It's the same with Grid's fantasy tracks over the series, it's had some absolute standouts among them, with Okutama rightly being held up as a classic fictional track, as well as its fictional runs around London and Paris.

As certainly Azure Coast, Cali Highway, Tuscany and Bannochbrae are tracks that rank among the best fictional tracks around, and you seem to be approaching GT's fictional tracks with rose-tinted glasses on, as it's had its fair share of stinkers as well, Cape Ring was simply put, bloody awful, the majority of the rally 'stages' (and I use that term very loosely) are not worth the lines of code and most of the 'real road' layouts in GTS are far too wide to be real roads (and in doing so often waste interesting layouts). Nor has the GT series itself been free from tracks with 'too many 90 degree corners at all', with London and New York being prime examples. It's actually arguable that, as a series, GT has abandoned what are its standout fictional tracks thankfully the modding community has brought them to other titles. Hell, you want the titles with the best fictional and real-world track variety and imagination, then AC, AMS and RFactor walk all over the GT series.

TL/DR The Project Cars and Grid series have a damn good number of standout fictional tracks, and GT's track record isn't as stellar as you think it is. However, the PC modding community put them all to shame, with the 26km Fonteny being an example of how a track based on real French roads should be done!

I'm pretty sure I made the point that the real track list had taken a hit to accommodate new city tracks. The majority you've just listed were already in PC2 and one in fact isn't even a fantasy track, just a rip off of a real one. So they've swapped Spa and La Sarthe for Havana and Shanghai, ripped off Suzuka and the rest are just pretty terrible, to even say they're some of the best around is just... well all I'll say is everybody is entitled to an opinion, but even the Ride series fictional tracks are miles ahead.

I'm pretty sure I made the point that the real track list had taken a hit to accommodate new city tracks.
Not how it works at all. The real tracklist took a hit because of licencing costs, you know just like happened to GTS with Spa! They didn't cut the tracks to be able to 'fit' the fictional ones in.

The majority you've just listed were already in PC2 and one in fact isn't even a fantasy track, just a rip off of a real one.
So you get to cite the brilliance of the whole of the GT series for fictional tracks, but Project Cars and Grid only get to be judged on the last release?

So they've swapped Spa and La Sarthe for Havana and Shanghai,
It really doesn't matter how many times you say it, it still will not actually make that true (however if you wish to stick with that, then GTS swapped out Spa for BroadBean Raceway).

ripped off Suzuka and the rest are just pretty terrible, to even say they're some of the best around is just... well all I'll say is everybody is entitled to an opinion, but even the Ride series fictional tracks are miles ahead.
I will take them over the likes of Cape Ring, BroadBean Raceway, Route X or any of the rally 'stages' in GT.

Last edited:
Not how it works at all. The real tracklist took a hit because of licencing costs, you know just like happened to GTS with Spa! They didn't cut the tracks to be able to 'fit' the fictional ones in.

So you get to cite the brilliance of the whole of the GT series for fictional tracks, but Project Cars and Grid only get to be judged on the last release?

It really doesn't matter how many times you say it, it still will not actually make that true (however if you wish to stick with that, then GTS swapped out Spa for BroadBean Raceway).

I will take them over the likes of Cape Ring, BroadBean Raceway, Route X or any of the rally 'stages' in GT.

Licencing costs that they weren't willing to pay so threw in two made up tracks to replace them. They've paid before so no valid reason not to pay again, it's a lame excuse.

No I was judging PC cars fictional tracks since the first one, they're garbage. Let's not even talk about GRID's there's not even an argument there.

You've listed 3 tracks over 7 GT games, hardly making a point is it? The rally tracks I'll give you, they're out of place in GT.

Licencing costs that they weren't willing to pay so threw in two made up tracks to replace them. They've paid before so no valid reason not to pay again, it's a lame excuse.
So why are you not calling out PD for doing exactly the same thing?[/QUOTE]

I could just as easily try and argue that PD swapped out Spa for BroadBean Raceway, or that Northern Isle Speedway was swapped in for Silverstone (none of which would make it true)?

No I was judging PC cars fictional tracks since the first one, they're garbage. Let's not even talk about GRID's there's not even an argument there.
On the contrary, an argument exists in both cases. Okutama stands with anything that PD has put in a GT title, hell it even beats out GT in managing to have a solid Togue style variant, something PD have never managed across the series, in addition, Grid's Paris and London tracks are as good or better than the GT series' interpretations of those locations, and Cote D'Azur and Hong Kong are both still great tracks. I'd also love to know exactly what is so wrong with Cali Highways, Tuscany, Azure Coast or Bannochbrae, as its certainly not because they have 'too many 90 degree corners'?

You've listed 3 tracks over 7 GT games, hardly making a point is it? The rally tracks I'll give you, they're out of place in GT.
So it's not just three then, once you add in the rally tracks, which are not just out of place, but poor rally tracks full stop. The three are also not a definitive list, it's three examples, do I seriously have to make a full list just to illustrate the point I was making?

Last edited:
So why are you not calling out PD for doing exactly the same thing?

I could just as easily try and argue that PD swapped out Spa for BroadBean Raceway, or that Northern Isle Speedway was swapped in for Silverstone (none of which would make it true)?

On the contrary, an argument exists in both cases. Okutama stands with anything that PD has put in a GT title, hell it even beats out GT in managing to have a solid Togue style variant, something PD have never managed across the series, in addition, Grid's Paris and London tracks are as good or better than the GT series' interpretations of those locations, and Cote D'Azur and Hong Kong are both still great tracks. I'd also love to know exactly what is so wrong with Cali Highways, Tuscany, Azure Coast or Bannochbrae, as its certainly not because they have 'too many 90 degree corners'?

So it's not just three then, once you add in the rally tracks, which are not just out of place, but poor rally tracks full stop. The three are also not a definitive list, it's three examples, do I seriously have to make a full list just to illustrate the point I was making?[/QUOTE]

You seem to be under the impression that I haven't called them out before for it, believe me I've slaughtered PD on this very site for their ******** in the past. But this thread isn't about them, it's about PC3 and SMS.

You do realise that GT Sport tracks had to be modelled from scratch because if was a complete change of hardware so less content is to be expected. PC2 is basically an arcade version of PC3 with the same track and car models with no excuses for the content it's missing, except of course they took the cheap option.

I really can't argue because your opinion on tracks is your opinion and you won't change it so to do so would be pissing into the wind :lol: My opinion is that they're bollocks based on my experience of playing a lot of racing games and comparing them to alternatives.

As for what's wrong with Cali Highway, Azure and Bannochbrae etc? It's like they let a 6 year old lose on a roller-coaster building sim :lol:

You seem to be under the impression that I haven't called them out before for it, believe me I've slaughtered PD on this very site for their ******** in the past. But this thread isn't about them, it's about PC3 and SMS.
You opened the door to GTS being in this discussion, as such it's a part of the discussion.

You do realise that GT Sport tracks had to be modelled from scratch because if was a complete change of hardware so less content is to be expected. PC2 is basically an arcade version of PC3 with the same track and car models with no excuses for the content it's missing, except of course they took the cheap option.
So did PD, they acknowledged as much with regard to Spa!

You can't give one a pass and then use it to beat the other up, well not without it coming across as applying double-standards.

I really can't argue because your opinion on tracks is your opinion and you won't change it so to do so would be pissing into the wind :lol: My opinion is that they're bollocks based on my experience of playing a lot of racing games and comparing them to alternatives.
So no actual reason at all then.

As for what's wrong with Cali Highway, Azure and Bannochbrae etc? It's like they let a 6 year old lose on a roller-coaster building sim :lol:
So it's the elevation changes that you have an issue with (despite them not being that serious at all), so how do you then feel about the GTS fictional tracks which have the same 'issue'? What about real-world tracks with the same kind of elevation changes?

Last edited:
You opened the door to GTS being in this discussion, as such it's a part of the discussion.

So did PD, they acknowledged as much with regard to Spa!

You can't give one a pass and then use it to beat the other up, well not without it coming across as applying double-standards.

So no actual reason at all then.

So it's the elevation changes that you have an issue with (despite them not being that serious at all), so how do you then feel about the GTS fictional tracks which have the same 'issue'? What about real-world tracks with the same kind of elevation changes?

I opened the door as a simple one to one track comparison, again its not a debate on PD or GT it's a thread on PCars so we all know GT made up tracks are better than PC ones so that's it as far as GT goes.

How am I giving one a pass? As I've stated I've said plenty about GT Sport in the GTS forum and a lot not that good. If you can't see the difference from the jump from GT6 to GTS and PCars from 1 to 2 to 3 then I don't know what to say. It's not excuses or passes it's just fact.

The elevation changes are just the most obvious reason that sticks out, I could go on about how they resemble no race track or road I've ever encountered and since I live in rural Scotland I'd say that's a fail for Bannochbrae

I opened the door as a simple one to one track comparison, again its not a debate on PD or GT it's a thread on PCars so we all know GT made up tracks are better than PC ones so that's it as far as GT goes.
No we don't 'all know thjat' at all, you seem to be mistaking opinion for fact.

How am I giving one a pass? As I've stated I've said plenty about GT Sport in the GTS forum and a lot not that good. If you can't see the difference from the jump from GT6 to GTS and PCars from 1 to 2 to 3 then I don't know what to say. It's not excuses or passes it's just fact.
I disagree, the only fact is that both SMS and PD refused to pay the licence fee for Spa.

The elevation changes are just the most obvious reason that sticks out, I could go on about how they resemble no race track or road I've ever encountered and since I live in rural Scotland I'd say that's a fail for Bannochbrae
You've never come across roads that resemble them? I live in Wiltshire (not know for it's mountains) and I know of at least two locations with similar elevation changes (steeper in fact) than any of those tracks have, I've driven the south of France and Azur is a good homage to those roads (in fact if anything its not steep and windy enough) and have driven enough Lidar recreations of Cali tracks in AC to know that's not that far off either (Pacific Highways and LA Canyons in particular). Again this comes across as double standards, the 'road' based tracks in GTS are far too wide for any public road, they also suffer from the extreme elevation changes you are happy to raise the issue within Project Cars, quite simply this just comes across as a series of moving goalposts.

Last edited:
Funny how people keep saying "scratched" or "replaced" a track... It's a new game that was made from scratch, and because of the huge licensing cost, they decided not to ADD Spa.
It was never IN the game to begin with...
And from what i've heard, many future racing titles won't have it either, for the same reason.

Last edited:
Funnily enough Bannochbrae uses quite a few real sections of road from Tyndrum to Ballachulish - https://forum.projectcarsgame.com/s...ll-concerned&p=1226483&viewfull=1#post1226483

A82.jpg
A821.jpg
Ball1.jpg
Ball2.jpg
Petrol.jpg
Petrol1.jpg

Funny how people keep saying "scratched" or "replaced" a track... It's a new game that was made from scratch, and because of the huge licensing cost, they decided not to ADD Spa.
It was never IN the game to begin with...
And from what i've heard, many future racing titles won't have it either, for the same reason.

Except is wasn't. The cars and track are taken directly from PCars2 as is the game engine and livetrack so just no :lol:

No we don't 'all know thjat' at all, you seem to be mistaking opinion for fact.

I disagree, the only fact is that both SMS and PD refused to pay the licence fee for Spa.

You've never come across roads that resemble them? I live in Wiltshire (not know for it's mountains) and I know of at least two locations with similar elevation changes (steeper in fact) than any of those tracks have, I've driven the south of France and Azur is a good homage to those roads (in fact if anything its not steep and windy enough) and have driven enough Lidar recreations of Cali tracks in AC to know that's not that far off either (Pacific Highways and LA Canyons in particular). Again this comes across as double standards, the 'road' based tracks in GTS are far too wide for any public road, they also suffer from the extreme elevation changes you are happy to raise the issue within Project Cars, quite simply this just comes across as a series of moving goalposts.

Well its your opinion. Wrong as it is

Last edited by a moderator:

You've posted pictures of a petrol station and a bridge. In what way does this represent a section of road?

Do you really think it's just a matter of copy/paste?
I get my info directly from the devs, so just no :lol:

OK sure you do:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You've posted pictures of a petrol station and a bridge. In what way does this represent a section of road?

I can only assume that you have only ever driven locally in whichever area of rural Scotland you reside in... sections on Bannochbrae are instantly recognisable to anyone familiar with the roads around Lochaber.

I'm afraid that your statement concerning elevation changes at Bannochbrae being unrealistic are laughable at best. I live in the North East of Scotland where much of the terrain is pretty flat and uninteresting... until we go further North towards Moray and beyond... or through the Highlands... or to the West Coast. Have you ever driven across The Lecht? There are roads there (and further West) that make Bannochbrae look like Holland mate.

Last edited:
This is what my corner of the U.S. looks like. Ancient hills with outdated roads, untouched by current DOT guidelines, winding over and through the ridges and valleys like the water streams that carved them out. Pretty much only rally games ever provide roads as narrow, rollercoaster-like, or dynamic as the real roads I drive and ride. That is the main reason I play rally games; I don't follow the WRC or watch motorsports.

There is literally a road named Rollercoaster Road 35 minutes from my house.

Believe me, Azure Coast, Bannochbrae, and California Highway are really, really tame compared to here. I've also driven in the Sierra Nevadas, up to 9000ft. elevation. California Highway models a coastline route, of course, but in any case it's not much compared to the real roads inland.

ocooch_mountains.jpg

Attachments

• ocooch_mountains.jpg
    ocooch_mountains.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 12
Man, I have to say, first impressions in the first few hours are pretty damn good. I wasn't going to pick this up but it's currently on sale, and it's solid. And a lot prettier than I thought it'd be too. Handles great with a controller, career seems deep, and I'm glad they have the custom race option. Options toned down a bit from 2, but it's got the key things for me, everything seems more streamlined.
I'll spend most of my time trying out classes and track/weather combos. Really fun game so far.

I know, car class mix and all that, and I was one of the ones grumbling about it, but I take back some of the snark I had about it pre-release, this is a great pick and play racer. I love me some ACC, but this'll be a blast.

Man, I have to say, first impressions in the first few hours are pretty damn good. I wasn't going to pick this up but it's currently on sale, and it's solid. And a lot prettier than I thought it'd be too. Handles great with a controller, career seems deep, and I'm glad they have the custom race option. Options toned down a bit from 2, but it's got the key things for me, everything seems more streamlined.
I'll spend most of my time trying out classes and track/weather combos. Really fun game so far.

I know, car class mix and all that, and I was one of the ones grumbling about it, but I take back some of the snark I had about it pre-release, this is a great pick and play racer. I love me some ACC, but this'll be a blast.

Once, you get to Road C the game opens up. I enjoy it and I currently have 163 hours of game time.

Once, you get to Road C the game opens up. I enjoy it and I currently have 163 hours of game time.
I honestly don't know how much of the career I'll do, I spend most of the time in any racing game in custom races.
But it is sometimes fun to start with the slower road cars and work up, I did get through most of the career in Grid.

Still haven't started a career in ACC yet either.

I keep thinking that pCARS 3 has no right being this good, hah, I had completely written it off and it's a really nice surprise. So many little things I like better than 2 right off the bat even though it's not as hardcore.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know how much of the career I'll do, I spend most of the time in any racing game in custom races.
But it is sometimes fun to start with the slower road cars and work up, I did get through most of the career in Grid.

Still haven't started a career in ACC yet either.

I keep thinking that pCARS 3 has no right being this good, hah, I had completely written it off and it's a really nice surprise. So many little things I like better than 2 right off the bat even though it's not as hardcore.

Well, some of us like the physics with a steering wheel even more than PC2. The game is a nice surprise.

Back