Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
The main subject of this leak is the re-release of Sunset Overdrive and its sequel, but it looks like a potential re-release of Project CARS 3 has been outed too:

Wow, is it me or the last patch fixed one part of input lag on a gamepad? I can steer much faster I think. Second one is still there but even this one looks like good direction.

Sunset Overdrive? What does Sony have to do with that indie pseudo-3D racing game? Oh, that's '80s Overdrive.

What is it with shooters adopting deceptive racing game titles? Like Apex Legends, for another example. :P Nowhere near as appealing as it sounds; just yet another trendy character-focused-battle-royale thing.

Compared to previous games, I think in PCARS 3 you can earn trophies quite quickly. Already a week into the game and I've got 61% of the trophies (22 of 37 on the base game - no DLC trophies included) and recently unlocked those from online multiplayer.

Wow, is it me or the last patch fixed one part of input lag on a gamepad? I can steer much faster I think. Second one is still there but even this one looks like good direction.
I wonder if you have ever thought about getting yourself a new Game Pad my friend ......it must be worth a try..
As it is generally accepted and certainly in my book .... that straight out of the box both the Game Pad and Wheel perform impeccably with this game ......

Last edited:
I wonder if you have ever thought about getting yourself a new Game Pad my friend ......it must be worth a try..
As it is generally accepted and certainly in my book .... that straight out of the box both the Game Pad and Wheel perform impeccably with this game ......
I have PC3 for Xbox and PS. On Xbox I have Elite 1, Elite 2, X1 gamepad and XS gamepad. The game is broken. It's not small issue like you can't be precise enough in Grid. It's just completely broken game! :D I don't know what other to say. I test it every month and after last patch first input lag looked OK. The second one is game braking for sure, since release. And I am not sure how another new gamepad could help.

It's easy to test but I wrote it months ago already and still see how gamepad is fine. It's not.

I have PC3 for Xbox and PS. On Xbox I have Elite 1, Elite 2, X1 gamepad and XS gamepad. The game is broken. It's not small issue like you can't be precise enough in Grid. It's just completely broken game! :D I don't know what other to say. I test it every month and after last patch first input lag looked OK. The second one is game braking for sure, since release. And I am not sure how another new gamepad could help.

It's easy to test but I wrote it months ago already and still see how gamepad is fine. It's not.
Well my friend I think we will have to accept that for what ever reason..... you and PC 3 are never going to be bed fellows.... .
You never know Forza 8 might live up to your expectations ... when it is eventually rolled out !!!!

Last edited:
Well my friend I think we will have to accept that for what ever reason..... you and PC 3 are never going to be bed fellows.... .
You never know Forza 8 might live up to your expectations ... when it is eventually rolled out !!!!
That's a solution too. But if SMS can fix it I can like PC3 a lot. Definitely better than last Grid in many ways.

But it looks like SMS doesn't care about games anymore. Good thing is competition is the bigger than ever so no lost but still I would like to play PC3 sometimes.

With current approach PC4 is dead because of community. Maybe they will find another market, who knows. It's sad when you can build awesome games like PC1 and PC2. On the other hand hate for both games was big so maybe that's the reason they don't care about sims anymore.

That's a solution too. But if SMS can fix it I can like PC3 a lot. Definitely better than last Grid in many ways.

But it looks like SMS doesn't care about games anymore. Good thing is competition is the bigger than ever so no lost but still I would like to play PC3 sometimes.

With current approach PC4 is dead because of community. Maybe they will find another market, who knows. It's sad when you can build awesome games like PC1 and PC2. On the other hand hate for both games was big so maybe that's the reason they don't care about sims anymore.
A lot of your posts seem to be overblown reactions to things that seemingly isn't encountered by anyone else. I doubt it's that they don't care to fix the issue, it's more likely you overthinking something happening. If an issue isn't widespread, how do you expect them to know about it?

You know what would help your case, actual evidence. Try recording and explaining in detail what people are looking at in the video.

Last edited:
A lot of your posts seem to be overblown reactions to things that seemingly isn't encountered by anyone else. I doubt it's that they don't care to fix the issue, it's more likely you overthinking something happening. If an issue isn't widespread, how do you expect them to know about it?

You know what would help your case, actual evidence. Try recording and explaining in detail what people are looking at in the video.
I created a bug report and can help anybody with it.

Don't know anything about creating videos but if somebody has a gamepad, he can test it easily.

Don't know anything about creating videos but if somebody has a gamepad, he can test it easily.
I'm not sure how you're going to be able to help anyone with it when you can't even show examples of what you're talking about. With such a massive issue you're making it out to be, you'd think video's would be fairly easy to produce to show what you're talking about.

Do you have an Nvidea graphics card, as that has software that will record video for you easily and with almost zero frame rate impact

I'm not sure how you're going to be able to help anyone with it when you can't even show examples of what you're talking about. With such a massive issue you're making it out to be, you'd think video's would be fairly easy to produce to show what you're talking about.
If somebody know the game, it's pretty easy (like designers, devs...). But nobody cares (that's important sign to me too). It's not massive issue. PC2 was a good sim, PC3 is some kind of Forza/GT competitor. No sim players play PC3 so it's probably OK. I like the content very much so I wanted to play with it. It's unplayable if you like sims. It's not normal to play sims on gamepad so most players of PC3 should be people without enough gamepad skill, I guess. I really don't know.

Quick test for gamepad players: Cockpit view with a wheel, any car, straight, 70+ km/h and try to warm up tires like F1. Go from one side to another smoothly but fast enough. Few degrees only from zero. And the move should be smooth like in every other game but it's not. There is some crazy assist which stops the movement for some time every time. I could capture is somehow but it's so visible I can't imagine you don't have enough gamepad skill.

Do you have an Nvidea graphics card, as that has software that will record video for you easily and with almost zero frame rate impact
I have it on XBox and PS4. It should be possible somehow there too, many ppl do it but I haven't.

@Johnnn Despite having a wheel set I still mostly play my games on controller, because I like it and get on a lot better with it. I don't have PC3 yet it's obvious that you have such different views about your controller experiences, not just with PC3 but other games too.

I echo the thoughts of others, it would be great if you could show/describe your feelings/issues via videos, that way we might be able to understand where your coming from.

Being a controller fan, I'd certainly find it interesting.

Last edited:
@Johnnn Despite having a wheel set I still mostly play my games on controller, because I like it and get on a lot better with it. I don't have PC3 yet it's obvious that you have such different views about your controller experiences, not just with PC3 but other games too.

I echo the thoughts of others, it would be great if you could show/describe your feelings/issues via videos, that way we might be able to understand where your coming from.

Being a controller fan, I'd certainly find it interesting.
What games do you play? And what's your favorite game on a gamepad?

What other games? My views are relatively normal if you know how you play. My main problem is I am rather new to gamepad steering so it's very hard to imagine seasoned players can't see what I see after few months of playing.

Every discussion about pads is good to me because I have many new data every day. Since February I played AMS1, AMS2, R3E and currently I am hooked to rF2. I would like to know other opinions too.

I have it on XBox and PS4. It should be possible somehow there too, many ppl do it but I haven't.
Press the Xbox button the pad, and then look at the side of the pop up menu, it literally tells you what to press in order to record. It's either X or Y depending on the action you're trying to do.
What other games? My views are relatively normal if you know how you play. My main problem is I am rather new to gamepad steering so it's very hard to imagine seasoned players can't see what I see after few months of playing.
They really aren't though, you're all over the place with the pad discussion. Before you said that any pad problems can be blamed on the people when someone talked about prior iterations of Project Cars, and then ironically turn around and talk about your controller issues as if it's the games fault this time. Half the time you're giving snide remarks towards people, like right now saying "if you know how to play" that seemingly apply more to you than anyone else.

It really seems like no one else is understanding what you're actually talking about in these cases so that's why videos would help.

Last edited:
Press the Xbox button the pad, and then look at the side of the pop up menu, it literally tells you what to press in order to record. It's either X or Y depending on the action you're trying to do.

They really aren't though, you're all over the place with the pad discussion. Before you said that any pad problems can be blamed on the people when someone talked about prior iterations of Project Cars, and then ironically turn around and talk about your controller issues as if it's the games fault this time. Half the time you're giving snide remarks towards people, like right now saying "if you know how to play" that seemingly apply more to you than anyone else.

It really seems like no one else is understanding what you're actually talking about in these cases so that's why videos would help.
If it's possible to share from Xbox network, it's fine then.

I think it's about people because I read here many times how GT is not assisted at all. Those people played for 20 years. GT is the most assisted game I can imagine. So I am careful only :D PC3 is easy to see but not many people play the game and if, it's not pretty clear they have enough unassisted skill. Where are people from PC2 thread who play it on a gamepad and we tuned our settings together?

That's true.

What games do you play? And what's your favorite game on a gamepad?

Every discussion about pads is good to me because I have many new data every day. Since February I played AMS1, AMS2, R3E and currently I am hooked to rF2. I would like to know other opinions too.

I've played most of those games you mentioned on PC but only via wheel set, Rf2 is the best feeling one for me, but obviously we are talking about controllers, so, apart from PC3 I've played pretty much everything on all the consoles. Best feeling recent games for me, I'd say the CM ones such as Dirt 2,3, DR1, Grid Autosport. And WRC8/9.
Worse out of the box, PC1 & Assetto, but both playable to a point with a lot of adjustment.

Last edited:
My views are relatively normal if you know how you play. My main problem is I am rather new to gamepad steering...
This seems like a contradiction in the context here.

Quick test for gamepad players: Cockpit view with a wheel, any car, straight, 70+ km/h and try to warm up tires like F1. Go from one side to another smoothly but fast enough. Few degrees only from zero. And the move should be smooth like in every other game but it's not. There is some crazy assist which stops the movement for some time every time.
I don't even have to boot up PCARS3 to guess that what you are observing (and I have told you this before) is PCARS3's countersteer logic. The steering code is accounting for oversteer (which becomes a factor well before a car is generally considered to be "oversteering") and does not give you 100% manual control when steering back and forth with sufficient speed to create tire slip.

This game does not offer 1:1 steering from the gamepad X axis to the steering value. Everyone knows this.

This seems like a contradiction in the context here.

I don't even have to boot up PCARS3 to guess that what you are observing (and I have told you this before) is PCARS3's countersteer logic. The steering code is accounting for oversteer (which becomes a factor well before a car is generally considered to be "oversteering") and does not give you 100% manual control when steering back and forth with sufficient speed to create tire slip.

This game does not offer 1:1 steering from the gamepad X axis to the steering value. Everyone knows this.
It was meant I can't be sure if year ago I knew nothing about sims on a gamepad. That's the reason I would like to know more about it. Since then I built my skill to play anything and hope I can see something.

That could be it but many games don't have 100 % control and still don't have this. GT, Forza, Grid, F1, for instance. PC3 do it completely alone which is a problem to me. From this perspective it's clearly broken. But if people can't usually see it, it's probably OK. I can play Forza, helpers there are annoying but without input lag. But I can't play PC3. It's not good. But like we said many times here, it's about missing options. Nobody wants game without options. And we are back while PC3 game design is so bad. The game is just not good because of many things. It's not about bad reviews...

It was meant I can't be sure if year ago I knew nothing about sims on a gamepad. That's the reason I would like to know more about it. Since then I built my skill to play anything and hope I can see something.

That could be it but many games don't have 100 % control and still don't have this. GT, Forza, Grid, F1, for instance. PC3 do it completely alone which is a problem to me. From this perspective it's clearly broken. But if people can't usually see it, it's probably OK. I can play Forza, helpers there are annoying but without input lag. But I can't play PC3. It's not good. But like we said many times here, it's about missing options. Nobody wants game without options. And we are back while PC3 game design is so bad. The game is just not good because of many things. It's not about bad reviews...

Johnnnnnnn1.jpg

Do I remember correctly that you said the steering is "strange" in Forza Motorsport 7 thread?

edit:

...yes I do remember correctly

SmartSelect_20210514-180355_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
That could be it but many games don't have 100 % control and still don't have this. GT, Forza, Grid, F1, for instance.
Correct. Many games do not implement countersteer logic the exact same way that PCARS3 does, to the exact same extent, because they are not the same game.

There is no noteworthy input latency in PCARS3 on a low-latency display -- if there was, I would have noticed it. The hesitation you observe, reproducible with the maneuver you described, is the countersteer logic at work:
  1. You steer left at a moderate speed
  2. Car moves left
  3. Steering logic detects slip angle
  4. You steer right
  5. Steering logic goes into countersteer logic -- you are now countersteering
  6. (Rear) slip angle decreases back to zero
  7. You are still steering right
  8. Steering logic detects that you have just straightened the car
  9. Steering logic assumes you do not intend to over-correct
  10. Steering logic hesitates, to mitigate over-correction
  11. You are still steering right
  12. Steering logic determines that you intend to steer right, and loosens up again
  13. Car moves right
TL;DR -- The steering hesitates in this maneuver (as well as transferring from one drift into another) because it is designed to help prevent over-correction, which was a too-common consequence in PCARS1 and PCARS2 with an analog stick. It is not lagging; it is trying to help.

Back