Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
And he's called it PCARS3.
No game is ever 'finished'... I go back to Manic Miner here. A couple of classic bugs. With massive scope comes massive effort to balance and resolve all edge case bugs. We really put the work in there.

I'll let you know that pCARS3 will be more 'focused'... More 'fun'... We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We've learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let's call it, 'sub-optimal'... pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates... The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.

Have a wonderful holiday season everyone. xx

I've played ONRUSH for the last few days since it was a free game with PS+ and it's been fun. They've brought in a lot of guys from there. It would be interesting to see what ideas they would bring from that.

If you don't like the series so much, why are you here? I don't play AC and didn't enjoy it when I did so I don't go into their forums to go and complain about their game.

I do like the idea of the game. I tried giving PCARS 1 and 2 a chance thinking that SMS would fix the ghastly pad control that has plagued their games since the first NFS Shift. They haven't. The way that they have kicked the can down the road in this regard and have gotten away with being actively hostile towards a control method only because most people playing this game are on wheels is quite sad, and has basically made me incredibly hesitant on even suggesting this game to would be sim racers I know who want to get their feet wet in the genre when it has the most amount to love when it comes to features.

Which is sad as well when you consider that if what Ian is saying is true, and they are trying to make the game more fun ala' Shift, then I am all for it. But with the continued hostility towards pad users for years, why should I, or anyone else that doesn't have a wheel because of cost / space, or those trying to get their foot in the door of sim racing for the first time, bother? Especially when these pad problems have been present for nearly a decade?

I do like the idea of the game. I tried giving PCARS 1 and 2 a chance thinking that SMS would fix the ghastly pad control that has plagued their games since the first NFS Shift. They haven't. The way that they have kicked the can down the road in this regard and have gotten away with being actively hostile towards a control method only because most people playing this game are on wheels is quite sad, and has basically made me incredibly hesitant on even suggesting this game to would be sim racers I know who want to get their feet wet in the genre when it has the most amount to love when it comes to features.

Which is sad as well when you consider that if what Ian is saying is true, and they are trying to make the game more fun ala' Shift, then I am all for it. But with the continued hostility towards pad users for years, why should I, or anyone else that doesn't have a wheel because of cost / space, or those trying to get their foot in the door of sim racing for the first time, bother? Especially when these pad problems have been present for nearly a decade?

Can't agree with this at all, at least not for pCARS2. The first game, yes, pad controls weren't good (though I found some decent settings in the end), but as a pad only player I have no problem whatsoever playing PC2. The only change I have made from the default settings is to reduce the speed sensitivity - that's it, and I'm rapidly homing in on 1000 (very enjoyable) hours in the game.

The problem with providing "perfect pad control" is that you could put 50 pad users in a room and get 30 different opinions on what feels right. That reared it's ugly head (and boy did it get ugly at times :( ) in WMD during both pCARS1 and pCARS2 development. And come on, every game feels different even with a wheel, there are those that don't like the handling in AC, iRacing, RRRE, ACC, rFactor2, pCARS etc etc, because they ALL feel different to each other (though some share similar traits, rightly or wrongly).

Can't agree with this at all, at least not for pCARS2. The first game, yes, pad controls weren't good (though I found some decent settings in the end), but as a pad only player I have no problem whatsoever playing PC2. The only change I have made from the default settings is to reduce the speed sensitivity - that's it, and I'm rapidly homing in on 1000 (very enjoyable) hours in the game.
Me too. I've used a wheel exclusively in racing games for over a decade and thought I'd try PC2 with a pad after all the fuss. And still to this day I've no idea what all the fuss was about. Perfectly playable with a couple of minor tweaks.

@Silver Arrows, I might be arguing about future support in the other thread but this nonsense about PC2 being un-drivable with a controller is utter bollocks.

I will defend this as 90% of my youtube videos are using a controller against 90%-100% skill AI on 75%-100 aggression.

I also do use a thrustmaster TX which yes is better/more control/smoother/authentic but unplayable with a controller? Not having it mate.

I'll be shortly uploading a video once it's ready of me against the AI @ 100/100 at Indianapolis Road course using a road-d classic Mustang in the snow.

And guess what, I'll be in the top 3 if not 1st using my controller.

Spend more time practicing & you might start to enjoy it.

I use the controller more often than my wheel due to not being able to leave it setup.

@Silver Arrows, I might be arguing about future support in the other thread but this nonsense about PC2 being un-drivable with a controller is utter bollocks.

I will defend this as 90% of my youtube videos are using a controller against 90%-100% skill AI on 75%-100 aggression.

I also do use a thrustmaster TX which yes is better/more control/smoother/authentic but unplayable with a controller? Not having it mate.

I'll be shortly uploading a video once it's ready of me against the AI @ 100/100 at Indianapolis Road course using a road-d classic Mustang in the snow.

And guess what, I'll be in the top 3 if not 1st using my controller.

Spend more time practicing & you might start to enjoy it.

I use the controller more often than my wheel due to not being able to leave it setup.
What's your YT channel I'll watch :)

Well Ian on his Twitter thread says himself he "can't stop playing it".
This would leave one to believe that if there are some bugs here and there, he'll find a lot of them himself.
Nothing finds them all like sending betas to a horde of people though.

For me PCars2 is very close to being everything I want in a racing sim. It has immense car and circuit content and dynamic time and weather, but that final layer polish is missing.
Upon release there was a fragility to the game in that I was rarely fully confident in what it was to deliver. Online connectivity on PS4 was dreadful and led to two championships being abandoned. FFB was inconsistent too with some (Ford GT GTE) being terrific and others left lacking. Also, don't get me started on the awful 2016 LMP1-H cars. Sound was a very mixed bag too.

If PCarsRevolution is a fully tested and sorted game, unlike PCars2 regardless of what Ian Bell says, then there is little that can hope to touch it. The immersion granted by the brilliant dynamic time and weather system is incredible but the rest of the package needs to equal that.

I will wait to see the opinions of players this time round though.

For some reason, I think you'd buy a game that just has the Mclaren P1 GTR and a number of tracks.
Well its not just about my beloved p1 gtr cause gran turismo sport has the p1 gtr and i didn't like the driving in that game, driveclub has the p1 gtr and i didn't like the driving in that game, ac has the p1 gtr and i just didn't like that game overall.

pc2 just has everything i want

great driving
fun features
favorite camera views in chase cam and helmet cam
full weather and 24 hour time cycles

So when you think about it my favorite car in a game that i fully love and enjoy and its a win win :D

Last edited:
I asked Ian on twitter for 3 things: custom championships, non-scripted career mode and better balanced AI behaviour in different weather conditions. His reply was that most of this ( and more ) is coming.

Should be a big improvement for offline players, although I personally think those 3 aspects are a must and not too much to ask.

For me PCars2 is very close to being everything I want in a racing sim. It has immense car and circuit content and dynamic time and weather, but that final layer polish is missing.
Upon release there was a fragility to the game in that I was rarely fully confident in what it was to deliver. Online connectivity on PS4 was dreadful and led to two championships being abandoned. FFB was inconsistent too with some (Ford GT GTE) being terrific and others left lacking. Also, don't get me started on the awful 2016 LMP1-H cars. Sound was a very mixed bag too.

If PCarsRevolution is a fully tested and sorted game, unlike PCars2 regardless of what Ian Bell says, then there is little that can hope to touch it. The immersion granted by the brilliant dynamic time and weather system is incredible but the rest of the package needs to equal that.

I will wait to see the opinions of players this time round though.

I agree with most of what you say mate. We can take it and we know where we weren't perfect. It's this level of feedback that we need to hone things closer to perfection. We care, we're trying... we're putting more into this one than any game we've ever shipped. If this isn't epic I'll go run an investment floor at Barclays.

I agree with most of what you say mate. We can take it and we know where we weren't perfect. It's this level of feedback that we need to hone things closer to perfection. We care, we're trying... we're putting more into this one than any game we've ever shipped. If this isn't epic I'll go run an investment floor at Barclays.
Could you at least spill a drop of beans on car roster and classes...is there a lot more cars, a few more or did you guys flesh out the roster from the ground up? And any additional classes being added to the game? You dont have to say which ones but are there any more is all I'm asking.

Could you at least spill a drop of beans on car roster and classes...is there a lot more cars, a few more or did you guys flesh out the roster from the ground up? And any additional classes being added to the game? You dont have to say which ones but are there any more is all I'm asking.

I can't say much as it's all NDA'd... I'm trussed up like a Christmas Turkey... I can say though that we have a massive game coming. So the fact that we're going for focus and polish doesn't at all diminish the breadth of what we are delivering.

I understand NDAs are needed but man they just wreck the hype. Hurry up Sony/Microsoft make your announcements so we can hear from our favorite devs.

It might no only be Sony/Microsoft NDA's but also with potential new manufacturers / track owners or even the ones that have the rights of new series. Basically everything you put in the game has a company attached that ownes the rights and has a say in when things can be announced.

Only things that could be spoiled are game features but I could imagine it's too early for that which is fine. We might get too hyped for something that's still a pretty long time away.

It might no only be Sony/Microsoft NDA's but also with potential new manufacturers / track owners or even the ones that have the rights of new series. Basically everything you put in the game has a company attached that ownes the rights and has a say in when things can be announced.

Only things that could be spoiled are game features but I could imagine it's too early for that which is fine. We might get too hyped for something that's still a pretty long time away.

Be too hyped my friend. This is special. It's a way off yet but man... the game I always wanted to make and we're going to keep on honing it until it's exactly where we want it to be. I can feel a GTR type vibe coming with this one.

Be too hyped my friend. This is special. It's a way off yet but man... the game I always wanted to make and we're going to keep on honing it until it's exactly where we want it to be. I can feel a GTR type vibe coming with this one.

GTR vibe is a tall order we all (well most) know how ground breaking and incredible that title was, hell I still play it occasionally today.
I'd really like to see a crowd funded GT Legends 2 if I'm honest. Now that would be epic!

Back