Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
Enthusia Professional Racing didn't have any of these things that have been cut, and it is still my all-time favorite simulator after 15 years. So while I don't approve of this, I think I'll survive.

Though I thoroughly enjoy PC2 it’s too technical for me (like I have no idea about spools), and the more I read about PC3 sounds like it’s the other end of the spectrum.
That's the rub, isn't it? PCARS2 could be formidable, and probably soured plenty of players who didn't know they were on the totally wrong tires or needed to open/close the brake ducts, for example. The game doesn't communicate that you've queued up an ill-advised scenario if you don't pay attention or are uninformed. "It's like driving on ice!"

Not that this is the only solution, of course, as I said before.

I agree these are good steps to take, but with fuel load and tyre temp always optimal it's either going to be two steps forward and one step back or one step forward and two steps back. It very much depends on which one of those two it is.

The career mode is now sounding utterly dull, however (for me) as no matter how good the physics are if its low lap events, and what does this mean for damage? If you can't pit then you can't repair the damage, is that the next thing we get to find out, that damage is gone or can't be repaired?

I'm part of that fanbase, it's not defending it, quite the opposite (as most of those being critical of it are PC fans).

Yeah I totally get it man. And especially after playing ACC with its tyre management and pit stops I do actually feel like it will be a loss even for a simpleton like me.

1s09Evk.png

[SMS] Nathan Bell
What I would like to know if is there is an option to switch drivers during a race, for example for an endurance-race. Is this feature planned?
@Akashic Not at the moment buddy, sorry.

@[SMS] Nathan Bell so does that means no changeable weather during a race?
@inthebagbudUK (Big G - CC) You can set the weather exactly as you could in PC2. Difference is you don't need to pit to change tyres when the weather changes. The on-track experience changes in regards to how the car handles on-track based on the current weather. In short - the game knows what the weather is, and what the optimal tyres are. But still reacts as it would if you'd spent 2 mins in the pits changing them.

Honestly I'm not on board with this "solution".

1s09Evk.png

[SMS] Nathan Bell
What I would like to know if is there is an option to switch drivers during a race, for example for an endurance-race. Is this feature planned?

@inthebagbudUK (Big G - CC) You can set the weather exactly as you could in PC2. Difference is you don't need to pit to change tyres when the weather changes. The on-track experience changes in regards to how the car handles on-track based on the current weather. In short - the game knows what the weather is, and what the optimal tyres are. But still reacts as it would if you'd spent 2 mins in the pits changing them.

Ouch, that’s not great.

1s09Evk.png

[SMS] Nathan Bell

That's just flat out weird man.

Why do I get this weird feeling that PC3 is trying to be a game for simracers and casual arcade racers simultaneously but is just instead confusing the heck out of both...

Thinking about it though, I don't think I've ever heard of such a feature in any racing game...morphing tires, huh...certainly Revolutionary, innit?

Call it Revolution.

Don't want to put a lot of words here, but I feel very sad about it. That was so cool to have those complication aspects in game. I know, this is partly right, that driver shouldn't be that much into engineering, but that was always fun to learn how those all thing work and affect your gameplay style. From my baby steps, I remember wearing tires pretty quick, didn't know how to take much from them with correct temperature and how to keep them that way. Those compromises between downforce, differential, duckts, etc. This all just could make you happy exploring and overcoming difficulties. I'm playing online mostly in PC2, and damn, how much a pitstop a game changer and great twist, apart from everything said above, this a moment when top drivers will find them self in a most hard traffic and put in test their real race craft, awareness, and professionalism in general. Now there will be races daily B from GT Sport. Matchmaking choose your pool, and if you not at top of the tire, like high B grades times, you're doomed to forever being in the middle. In GT Sport and PC2 you could choose a right pace to save tires and fuel to have an advantage in advanced race setting, and this now gone from Project Cars 3. **** this decision.

I'm so disappointed. From the diamond in the rough of PC2 to this unappealing, confused mess. Taking out basic elements of motorsport and adding magical adapting tyres all in the name of realism is a joke. Bought both games and all the DLC before but there's no way I'm buying PC3 now.

Just saw this on the project cars forum.:indiff:

1s09Evk.png

[SMS] Nathan Bell

This sounds abysmal. I guess 200% better means taking realism out of the "simulation". How neat.
emot-downsbravo.gif

Gran Turismo 3 had pit stops for tire wear and allowed for multiple tire compounds, a game that came out in 2001. Even 6-year-old me understood that was a very technical game for its time. Project Cars 3's opportunity window is going to be very short, as GT7 & FM8 are surely going to be the main draws in the console space for the next couple of years, along with ACC.

That's just flat out weird man.

Why do I get this weird feeling that PC3 is trying to be a game for simracers and casual arcade racers simultaneously but is just instead confusing the heck out of both...

Thinking about it though, I don't think I've ever heard of such a feature in any racing game...morphing tires, huh...certainly Revolutionary, innit?

Call it Revolution.

This all sounds very familiar... Dirt 4 arcade/sim modes anyone ? I really like the pitstops/fuel/tire wear/tire & brake temps feature of PC1 & 2. Disagree totally about the close racing, if anything it will make it dull & unexciting not better. For example playing 20-30 mins races where there is enforced pitstops where cars are all coming in & out at different times absolutely keeps me on my toes, not knowing if the guys ahead have or have not pitted yet, having to be mindful of the pitlane exit etc etc. Adds immersion that just isn't there on other games. Sad.

I predicted there might be magical changing tires, but I ended up not posting that because it sounded too ridiculous. So there are distinct wet tires still, but they're changed automatically on the fly? Not just "universal" tires that offer differing levels of performance across various conditions? That's such an odd thing to do! :odd:

I'd be okay with the latter example because it's common practice, but the first is patronizing by comparison.

I predicted there might be magical changing tires, but I ended up not posting that because it sounded too ridiculous. So there are distinct wet tires still, but they're changed automatically on the fly? Not just "universal" tires that offer differing levels of performance across various conditions? That's such an odd thing to do! :odd:

I'd be okay with the latter example because it's common practice, but the first is patronizing by comparison.

Well, with road cars you can just think 'All-season tyres'.

A title that has a brand identity, which leads people to quite natural assumptions.

iPhone is just a title, but if the next one were to run Android it would understandably cause some questions to be raised.

Reduction ad absurdum. They said it is the spiritual successor to shift. However we are just generating a bit of spam. Happy with the game. Different tastes.

Well, with road cars you can just think 'All-season tyres'.
Right -- with street tires there wasn't a need to pit for wet tires in the first place in PCARS2.

Will roadcars automatically be given a sort of performance wet tire even if it's against the player's wishes, then? 👎

As an online Host I normally set tyre wear and fuel usage to off because we are normally using old cars and slippy tyres and any further degradation could be problematic, however we normally have a pit stop within a 10 minute window - this enables people to choose to pit early or late depending on whether they are being held up etc. The pit stop always generates a lot of extra over taking opportunities and adds to the gaming enjoyment.

In longer online league races a pit stop is necessary as a comfort break (most hosts make it 5 minutes).

Having no option for pit stops is completely illogical and no amount of marketing blurb can ever make it sound otherwise. I am old enough to remember when the Austin Allegro was released with a square steering wheel and I also remember the salesman desperately trying to make it sound like a great idea "After all Sir - you spend most of your time with your hands in the straight ahead position."

Touch Wood this mistake by SMS can be rectified quickly via a patch.

My eagerness to find out when I could pre-order the deluxe edition has now evaporated (my wife had promised it to me as a late birthday present). Now I will wait for the reviews from friends on GTPlanet and consider getting the game as a Christmas present at the earliest if the feedback is good.

Such a shame - I was so stoked for this game!

As an online Host I normally set tyre wear and fuel usage to off because we are normally using old cars and slippy tyres and any further degradation could be problematic, however we normally have a pit stop within a 10 minute window - this enables people to choose to pit early or late depending on whether they are being held up etc. The pit stop always generates a lot of extra over taking opportunities and adds to the gaming enjoyment.

In longer online league races a pit stop is necessary as a comfort break (most hosts make it 5 minutes).

Having no option for pit stops is completely illogical and no amount of marketing blurb can ever make it sound otherwise. I am old enough to remember when the Austin Allegro was released with a square steering wheel and I also remember the salesman desperately trying to make it sound like a great idea "After all Sir - you spend most of your time with your hands in the straight ahead position."

Touch Wood this mistake by SMS can be rectified quickly via a patch.

My eagerness to find out when I could pre-order the deluxe edition has now evaporated (my wife had promised it to me as a late birthday present). Now I will wait for the reviews from friends on GTPlanet and consider getting the game as a Christmas present at the earliest if the feedback is good.

Such a shame - I was so stoked for this game!

It isn't a mistake so don't hold out for it being added in if the game has bene built around it.

Also let's not get driving physics simulation confused with gameplay choices. The physjcs simulation is still there. Whether people agree with the gameplay decision is a different argument but it still points towards a need to sell a game not just appeal to a small audience.

I still personally have faith and trust that the experience of this game will be excellent and still something special, for how I play at least.

Again, Codemasters steps into the scene and systematically dismembers and dismantles everything.

Project CARS 3 has been in development for ~3 years, this decision would have been finalized long before Codemasters took over SMS.

Right -- with street tires there wasn't a need to pit for wet tires in the first place in PCARS2.

Will roadcars automatically be given a sort of performance wet tire even if it's against the player's wishes, then? 👎

Good question.

I'll just think 'All-season tyres' in my mind. Has to be said though, this is a bummer for those who do really long races. Ruins the fun of the strategy. But for me, since I don't go much more than a hour, it's passable.

I've been wanting a more relaxed racer, but with a realistic underpinning. That's why I look forward to PCARS 3.

Need for Speed Heat didn't do it for me because of its aesthetic.
Forza Horizon 4 won't let me access any DLC without me connecting to the net first.
And GRID was just 'meh' overall. Not feeling the handling and it annoys me that I can't turn the darn fireworks and confetti off.

1s09Evk.png

[SMS] Nathan Bell

That’s just absurd, honestly it just gets worse.

Reduction ad absurdum. They said it is the spiritual successor to shift. However we are just generating a bit of spam. Happy with the game. Different tastes.
Yeah, shift and it’s magic tyres, don’t remember them at all.

It isn't a mistake

It is a mistake! Decisions sometimes receive a great deal of thought, but if they are bad decisions they are mistakes. BL fitted the Austin Allegro with a square steering wheel - by your logic, because that was carefully considered by a management committee, that wasn't a mistake - it was a choice. Three months after release the cars started rolling off the production line with round wheels!

They could easily stick with no tyre wear and fuel usage - I understand that decision as it has been clearly explained - and I accept that decision, but no option for pit stops is an error or mistake or bad decision - call it whatever you want - it interferes with the conduct of league racing which is a niche part of gaming, but still an important part.

It is a mistake! Decisions sometimes receive a great deal of thought, but if they are bad decisions they are mistakes. BL fitted the Austin Allegro with a square steering wheel - by your logic, because that was carefully considered by a management committee, that wasn't a mistake - it was a choice. Three months after release the cars started rolling off the production line with round wheels!

They could easily stick with no tyre wear and fuel usage - I understand that decision as it has been clearly explained - and I accept that decision, but no option for pit stops is an error or mistake or bad decision - call it whatever you want - it interferes with the conduct of league racing which is a niche part of gaming, but still an important part.

And there are people out there who love the square steering wheel, think its quirky and look back on it thinking, at least they were trying to do something different.

It will split the community for sure. But it cant be called a mistake when there's a clear design choice and, to me, sound reasoning for doing so. You don't agree with it, fine, I'm not trying to force you to like something you don't agree with. But this is far from dealbreaking for me personally. Thus, not a mistake.

My post was based around you thnking its a mistake that they'll patch through some pressure. If you read the article there's some deep description in to how the core tyre systems work. It wouldn't simply be a case of them going, oh yeah hey sorry we took pitstops away, here have them back. It would require a whole recoding and redesign of how the tyre heat, wear, weather and AI systems work. Its obviously a very integral and intentionally designed piece of thinking. Yes its polarising, but there's clearly a serious thought process thats gone into it.

Back